8.1

1. Matt
    May 27, 2007
    A remarkable achievement in animation. Wildly imaginative and thought provoking.
  2. TM.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. best film on dreams I have ever seen, and one of the best films of the decade. need to see it again to delve further into the dream.
  3. ArthurC.
    May 30, 2007
    Not only does it contain the unbelievable visual beauty that is Japanese anime, it also features a taut, exciting thriller that keeps you ensnared throughout. If only Hollywood could figure out the magic that is within Paprika.
  4. RossB.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. After watching it twice on opening night, I'm still not quite sure I understand the events of the climax, but I sat through this movie with a huge grin on my face and still can't help smiling when I think about it. I sincerely hope that this film becomes popular enough to upend the "animation is for children" meme. I've certainly never seen animation so Absolutely amazing. After watching it twice on opening night, I'm still not quite sure I understand the events of the climax, but I sat through this movie with a huge grin on my face and still can't help smiling when I think about it. I sincerely hope that this film becomes popular enough to upend the "animation is for children" meme. I've certainly never seen animation so utterly and convincingly realistic while also showing scenery and action that's so radically imaginative. I can already tell that I'm going to have to see it in the theater a third time, and I haven't seen a movie more than once in the theater since Return of the Jedi. Collapse
  5. konceptz
    Oct 9, 2007
    The truth of this film, although a nightmare to some and a dream to others, is a reality which we can no longer ignore.
  6. RobertE.
    Jun 12, 2007
    The first film I've seen that captures the shape-shifting and ineffable subtlety of dream symbolism. Jung would smile to see it.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Inspiring, memorable and downright hilarious. It's a pretty polarizing film - some like it, some don't - but it's worth your money any way you look at it.
  8. JohnB.
    May 27, 2007
    Did I dream up this entire hour and a half mind warp? Like a dream, it jumps from one idea to the next, with a loose thread tying everything together. It has a surreal and stream of conscience technique that is sure to make your head spin more than enough. Paprika masterfully draws you in and never lets go. It's a movie like this that makes me fully realize the extent to which Did I dream up this entire hour and a half mind warp? Like a dream, it jumps from one idea to the next, with a loose thread tying everything together. It has a surreal and stream of conscience technique that is sure to make your head spin more than enough. Paprika masterfully draws you in and never lets go. It's a movie like this that makes me fully realize the extent to which animation can go. The best parts of Paprika however are the subtleties that are not so obvious such as many puns and its plays on visuals. I can't seriously find a flaw in this movie. This is simply a masterpiece that deserves to be experienced. The point of Paprika is to be confused and brought to the point that you no longer pay attention to the plot but rather revel in the beauty of the animation and let the movie itself take over you. Don't be surprised if you end up having a dream about Paprika and dancing appliances after viewing this brilliant piece of animation. Expand
  9. 256kbps
    Jul 29, 2007
    Absolutely incredible. I will have to see it many more times to fully appreciate all the levels of visual and philosophical interaction that was going on throughout the entire movie. Seeing the parade of inanimate objects on its own is worth the cost of admittance.
  10. Dec 4, 2011
    The animation was beautiful, the story was genius, and the creativity of Paprika was beyond any anime I've ever seen. One thing irked me, though; its dull character dialogue.
  11. Jan 14, 2012
    Satoshi Kon has been one of the most visionary plot and character designers in the history of animation: his premature death in 2010 meant much less chances to see another masterpiece with the same charm and thrill as Paprika, which is undoubtedly a modern classic. Ignoring its deep plot would mean ignoring the true roots of blockbuster bestsellers like Inception, and losing the film thatSatoshi Kon has been one of the most visionary plot and character designers in the history of animation: his premature death in 2010 meant much less chances to see another masterpiece with the same charm and thrill as Paprika, which is undoubtedly a modern classic. Ignoring its deep plot would mean ignoring the true roots of blockbuster bestsellers like Inception, and losing the film that will continue to inspire tons of science fiction plots in the future. Expand
  12. May 24, 2014
    Astonishing film, just truly amazing, the film looks, feels and captures the amazing raw energy of **** if that made No sense go watch the **** film, its inception before inception.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    It happens to be one of the most wildly (and disturbingly) inventive animated films I've seen.
  2. It is an intelligently written piece that only falters during the finale.
    The brilliant Paprika, directed by Satoshi Kon--a masterly example of Japanese anime, intended for adults--is partly hand drawn, and features multiple areas of visual activity layered at different distances from the picture plane.