4.6

1. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie is just bad bad bad. The worst one in the series and doesn't even pick up or get intense until the end. I hated I wasted my money on this trash, do yourself a favor and either redbox or Netflix this when it comes out.
  2. Nov 4, 2013
    I don't see the point in making another installment. "Paranormal Activity 4" does not have any of the thoughtful ideas used in the previous three, and none of the cameras's positions were detailedly described. You also get random and unrealistic scares in this too, which just makes it really stupid.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    Same old, same freaking old. The final 15-20 minutes of the film are okay, the rest of the film is plain boring and pathetic. I don't know why they keep making films like this, the first installment was good, no doubts, but they're not offering anything new now. This is the worst movie in the Paranormal Activity franchise, not impressed me in any aspect whatsoever. The name of the film isSame old, same freaking old. The final 15-20 minutes of the film are okay, the rest of the film is plain boring and pathetic. I don't know why they keep making films like this, the first installment was good, no doubts, but they're not offering anything new now. This is the worst movie in the Paranormal Activity franchise, not impressed me in any aspect whatsoever. The name of the film is Paranormal Activity but it doesn't offer any kind of paranormal activity or even if it does, that's negligible because that won't give you any scares, how ironic is that! When the third film came out and I watched it, the first thing that came into my mind was, "What could be worse than this?". Today, I found the answer to that question after I finished watching this film. Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2012
    Short and simple this is the worst of the PA films. I enjoyed the first 3 for the most part as well, but here there are so many plot holes and very few scares until the final few moments of the film. There's some interesting ideas at play throughout the film too, particularly the garage scene and the finale. I really wanted to enjoy this film but I ended up annoyed and underwhelmed when IShort and simple this is the worst of the PA films. I enjoyed the first 3 for the most part as well, but here there are so many plot holes and very few scares until the final few moments of the film. There's some interesting ideas at play throughout the film too, particularly the garage scene and the finale. I really wanted to enjoy this film but I ended up annoyed and underwhelmed when I left the theater. Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    Wow. Possibly the worst horror movie I have ever seen. I will go that far to say EVER. The story line lacks a plot, the jumps and thrills lack, well, horror, and the anticipation and the build up to the movie is scarier than the actual movie. Personally, I wish I hadn't have spent my money on this drivel.
  6. Nov 4, 2012
    Scam. That's what this so called movie is. I almost fell asleep halfway through. Uninteresting sub-plots and bad acting make this my personal worst movie of the year 2012. Do not waste money on this.
  7. Nov 6, 2012
    Didn't we learn our lesson with the first two films? Didn't we? Didn't we learn that jump scares aren't scary and that likeable and smart characters carry a movie? Didn't we learn that plotholes shouldn't be in movies? Apparently not! And I counted how many jump scares they did in this film. How many were there? 20 through out the film. And at one point 5 happens in under two minutes.Didn't we learn our lesson with the first two films? Didn't we? Didn't we learn that jump scares aren't scary and that likeable and smart characters carry a movie? Didn't we learn that plotholes shouldn't be in movies? Apparently not! And I counted how many jump scares they did in this film. How many were there? 20 through out the film. And at one point 5 happens in under two minutes. Thankfully there are people such as myself who recognize the fact that this movie is poorly made. And the people who paid to see this, I saw a free screening, I shame you. Its your fault you think jump scares are what makes a good horror movie and not good story telling, atmosphere, motivations, and actual story structure. Easily the worst film of 2012! Expand
  8. Feb 1, 2013
    "Paranormal Activity 4" is easily the weakest yet in the series, lacking much of the innovation and fresh tactics of its predecessors and posing none of the answers it promises to deliver. This sequel was marketed to shed some light on the last movie's plot mess of a conclusion, but instead only gives us the same questions after 90 minutes of old hat sound effects, jump scares, and failed"Paranormal Activity 4" is easily the weakest yet in the series, lacking much of the innovation and fresh tactics of its predecessors and posing none of the answers it promises to deliver. This sequel was marketed to shed some light on the last movie's plot mess of a conclusion, but instead only gives us the same questions after 90 minutes of old hat sound effects, jump scares, and failed attempts at keeping the formula fresh. I'll give the film credit for its use of webcam surveillance, which although is likely not possible under these circumstances, does give us some new perspectives apart from the tired handheld video. But setpieces like a certain kitchen knife and the XBox Kinect are promising lodes of suspense cut short of their full potential, and the characters range from likeable (the main chick) to barely present and mostly moronic (the parents). It just feels more like the hollow shell of a "Paranormal Activity" movie, rather than what we've grown used to over the past films so much so that, unless the next sequel proves otherwise, this franchise has likely proved itself to have already passed its prime. Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2012
    The fact that more Paranormal Activity movies have been made astounds me. The first one was only "frightening" near the end, and even that was more surprising/shocking than scary. Don't waste your money, wait for this to show up on Netflix/Redbox/DVD or TV even. Honestly, don't even waste your TIME watching this latest iteration. I actually walked out of the theater about twenty minutes inThe fact that more Paranormal Activity movies have been made astounds me. The first one was only "frightening" near the end, and even that was more surprising/shocking than scary. Don't waste your money, wait for this to show up on Netflix/Redbox/DVD or TV even. Honestly, don't even waste your TIME watching this latest iteration. I actually walked out of the theater about twenty minutes in and requested a refund due to the garbage shown on-screen. Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    The acting gives away everything not to mention it shows the same plot material as all the others leaving it to die as a not so terrifying collapse of the series.
  11. Dec 11, 2012
    Just a movie with fake jolts. and at the end is the only action..they should just stop trying to give it a story and give us real horror/suspence like what they did with there first paranormal activity..i dont give a f*ck about the story, i just want the sh*t scared out of me!! overall a blan boring movie..dont waste your time
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    There was some hope that the chapter 4 had some survival after a not so badly received third chapter. But there is everything in this movie, unless some kind of innovation that can save you from your own formula (already extremely hit). The film is limited to 'fool' the public until more than half his scenes that something might happen to the apex of the intellectual degradation, whichThere was some hope that the chapter 4 had some survival after a not so badly received third chapter. But there is everything in this movie, unless some kind of innovation that can save you from your own formula (already extremely hit). The film is limited to 'fool' the public until more than half his scenes that something might happen to the apex of the intellectual degradation, which should be one of the worst final watched this year. Expand
  13. Mar 2, 2013
    disapointed. I thought that this was going to be good and i was wrong the movie was not all bad the acting from the people was good but the plot and the scares let them down. Overall not very good 4/10
  14. Jan 24, 2013
    Paranormal Activity 4 is another installment in the franchise, and has proven to me that they are just going to keep making sequels until they start becoming losing money (just like the Saw films). I wish they would be smart and just make each movie different and original, but it seems they are trying to make some story here and it really is happening slowly. I mean nothing happens inParanormal Activity 4 is another installment in the franchise, and has proven to me that they are just going to keep making sequels until they start becoming losing money (just like the Saw films). I wish they would be smart and just make each movie different and original, but it seems they are trying to make some story here and it really is happening slowly. I mean nothing happens in this movie, a few pop out moments happen but this seriously has nothing we haven't seen in the past three films. I felt like I could see everything coming and although it has a few effective scares, it really doesn't change the fact that this movie is just lazy and doesn't bring anything new to the table. It Expand
  15. Jun 30, 2013
    This movie is like watching paint dry. NOTHING HAPPENS!? the whole movie is a waste of time and the jump scares are so predictable they don't work. A lot of the time I could not understand what the characters were saying because they whisper or mumble most of there lines. This movie is mostly staring at things walking or running past in the background but that's it nothing happens untilThis movie is like watching paint dry. NOTHING HAPPENS!? the whole movie is a waste of time and the jump scares are so predictable they don't work. A lot of the time I could not understand what the characters were saying because they whisper or mumble most of there lines. This movie is mostly staring at things walking or running past in the background but that's it nothing happens until the last 10 minutes of the movie.

This movie is a huge waste of time and you will get 0% enjoyment out of this.
  16. Jan 30, 2013
    This movie is a good example why movies should be left at just one. In my opinion, it is the worst yet, with absolutely no story present to speak of, one-dimensional characters, and more of the same old things. As a fan of the series (perhaps ex-fan now), I was really looking forward to this film, hoping it would redeem itself, after the awful attempt 3 made of saving the series. TheThis movie is a good example why movies should be left at just one. In my opinion, it is the worst yet, with absolutely no story present to speak of, one-dimensional characters, and more of the same old things. As a fan of the series (perhaps ex-fan now), I was really looking forward to this film, hoping it would redeem itself, after the awful attempt 3 made of saving the series. The cheap scares and long camera takes are evidently getting old, with more people switching off. In terms of plot, I was eager to see how the main plot line of the previous installment would continue, only to be disappointed with more questions than answers by the end of the movie. My only hope is that the franchise will end sooner rather than later, no doubt in the traditional way of cutting any chance of a plot in the movie short. Although scoring it a 4 is poetic justice, I do believe it is quite a generous score, given the material. Expand
  17. Mar 3, 2013
    The performances were good and the story was fine. The only problem is that there was no real paranormal activity up until the last 20 minutes of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Mar 10, 2013
    Paranormal Activity 4 does not advance the story much at all, making it the worst of the series. I liked the first two and the third one at least advanced the story. It's not awful, but you can probably skip part 4 and still pick the series up in part 5 and not miss a beat.
  19. Apr 18, 2013
    A big disappointment for horror movie fans! There's one thing I hate about this year's installment: false advertising. When the poster and trailer came out with taglines saying that "all will be revealed" and "all the activity has led to this", I was actually excited to see this film. But after watching it at the cinema, I felt like I wasted my time and money. "Paranormal Activity 4" willA big disappointment for horror movie fans! There's one thing I hate about this year's installment: false advertising. When the poster and trailer came out with taglines saying that "all will be revealed" and "all the activity has led to this", I was actually excited to see this film. But after watching it at the cinema, I felt like I wasted my time and money. "Paranormal Activity 4" will leave you unsatisfied with an unresolved cliffhanger, very slow scenes, and lots of cheap scares. The acting was not good especially from Kathryn Newton and their reason for filming wasn't pretty convincing. Also, I'm disgusted that the series is starting to utilize CGI effects which ruins the movie's atmosphere. In a brighter scale, the methods for capturing the activity were smart just like its predecessors and there are "some" scenes that frightened me a little bit.

Overall: This is definitely not the best one in the franchise. I just think that the series has to end now. They can't just keep convincing us to watch it every year just like the Saw series. I actually prefer the 3rd part to be the finale because it answered all the questions we needed.
  20. Jun 10, 2013
    of course it was better than the two first movies and worse than the third one. However, I liked that film because there was not again that boring family. The last scene was really frightening and the whole movie is fine.
  21. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

So as part of deal of sorts I made with a friend, I already watched and subsequently reviewed “R.I.P.D.” and thought it was horrible. This got me thinking I might actually like “Paranormal Activity 4,” the latest in the long running “stupid as hell shaky cam horror movie series that continually refuses to die because people are foolish enough to keep throwing their money at it….thing.” If future me could give my past me three words of advice, they would be as follows: “Don’t kid yourself.”

The story is the same as every other freaking “Paranormal Activity” movie and will likely be the same as every one that will ever come out till the sun implodes and kills us all in a fiery blast. A family is slowly tormented by, oh, I don’t know, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY and then in the end people die and nothing significant get’s resolved (spoilers I guess…). The only new story item thrown into the mix are the two main characters, a teenage girl and her teenage boyfriend. This might sound gimmicky but this may be the best thing about the movie. Both characters are likable and coupled with both teenage actors giving good performances…as…teenagers works. I found myself actually caring about protagonists in this despicable little series for the first time in ever. Thus it was quite the disappointment to see the boyfriend just kinda stop showing up until near the end for seemingly no apparent reason and then have the focus fall on the mother and father who are completely boring.

I’m not even going to go into detail about the acting because besides the two leads none of the actors give a remotely interesting performance. So let’s talk instead about the directing, it’s very basic. That might sound like an insult but it’s actually a roundabout compliment. Unlike every other movie in the series, I could tell what the hell was going on even if the onscreen action was pretty bland, and that sadly elevates it far and above many movies I’ve seen in the last few years.

Whether or not you find this movie scary will depend on whether you found any of the other “Paranormal Activity” movies to be frightening. I say this because it does everything the others do. Seriously, did you expect anything else? I usually have nothing against sequels but when a studio pops out this many sequels this quickly, how can anyone expect something of quality? None of the previous three felt the need to change up the formula so why would this one?

Aside from the two likable leads, the only other thing “Paranormal Activity 4” does differently than it’s predecessors is it’s use of technology, which I did enjoy. They use their macs as a sort of spy camera to see what goes on at night and they do some cool stuff with a Kinect as well. But in the end, I realized it was all just a gimmick. It does little to distract you from its multitude of flaws.

Breaking the movie down into the three-act structure, it only gets worse as time goes on. I’ll admit, I surprisingly liked the first act. The two leads were characterized and likable, a few fake scares (some of which weren’t half bad) but mostly just the calm before the storm. The second act was boring if only because the pacing was sluggish and felt mostly like filler. Then the third act, which was supposed to be the movie’s saving grace, was a train wreck. The ending in particular has to be one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen to a horror movie. Without spoiling it, it felt like everything was sloppily thrown together as if the film crew realized they only had till midnight to complete it.

Every so often, I think I’ve seen all the bad movies out there. As someone who writes scripts in their spare time, I can’t help but marvel whenever I see a movie start off with potential and then completely screw up everything good about it shortly thereafter. At this point, I’ve learned that the worst movies are those that give you hope and then smash your face in about an hour later. But I’ve spent enough time talking about this abomination so I’ll just conclude by saying that if you have hope for mankind, you will lose it after watching this movie.

“Paranormal Activity 4” gets a 2/10.
  22. Aug 28, 2013
    Awful horror nothing scary about it is the stupidest horror ever who ever got scared are whips you would fall asleep watching it thats how boring it is
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was one of the worst things ever to be classified as horror ever. Can anyone honestly say that snapping a neck quickly and easily is scarier then dragging a person off camera then silence? No it isn't, it wrecks the pacing and doesn't freak the viewer out as much. This was more of a comedy to me than a horror, watching this series continue it's crash into reality. PA 2-4 summed up with 1 word, flashy. Each death is in plain sight and the jump scares are seen a mile away. This addition to the series only raised more questions than answered, like who the heck is Robbie? Why did Hunter get sent away to only get brought back again (since he was already missing after the 2nd movie they didn't need to posses him, they could have done that in grace period)? What is Toby's goal (I don't mean this to attract any attention to the story, just I'm pointing out that the story had its head up its own plothole)? They explained hunter had to kill Alex, they why did he never hurt her once? Also while on this topic, how did Toby posses Hunter without Hunter killing a single virgin (as stated by the plot)? Am I the only one who thought the mother sounded like she was saying "weeeeeeee" as she was dragged up to get killed? I wish I was kidding about that. Did anyone else say "Here's Katie!!!" when she was busting through the door (parodying a much better horror film)? Why did it take so long for Ben to get to the house to show that Alex was almost murdered by Toby? Why was there a password to access the footage there to begin with? What even was the purpose of Alex getting levitated by Toby because it was never brought up again? Why did they stop reviewing the recorded footage half way through the film? And finally the biggest question, how did so many people give this movie perfect reviews and completely miss all of these flaws? I only flinched once watching this movie, so it gets an honest and undisputed 1 out of 17 (17 "jump scares" only about 8 involved the demon) Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2015
    for some reason when we saw the first paranormal: activity movie i felt this movie was full of dumb-idiotic characters that were trying to kill themselves. Writer/director/ editor/cinematographer of the first paranormal activity Oren Peli, the creator of this franschise tries to pull of lame effects that we can tell is fake but the movie pulls it off so well. Paranormal 4 is a movie itfor some reason when we saw the first paranormal: activity movie i felt this movie was full of dumb-idiotic characters that were trying to kill themselves. Writer/director/ editor/cinematographer of the first paranormal activity Oren Peli, the creator of this franschise tries to pull of lame effects that we can tell is fake but the movie pulls it off so well. Paranormal 4 is a movie it has characters that yet again try to get themselves killed. I found this film scary (well its a paranormal activity its gonna be full of jump scares!) but it's ok this gets interested but it's the same movie again again again and again! the series should end here. Grade 1.3 D Expand
  25. Jul 3, 2014
    First of all i can't say that i was disappointed since i wasn't expecting much. The entire film is predictable and downright laughable. There is no tension and the jump scares aren't effective at all. To be fair this was more of a comedy than a horror film.
  26. Jan 18, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 is a 2012 American supernatural horror film, directed by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost, directors of Paranormal Activity 3, and written by Christopher Landon from a story by Chad Feehan. The film features Katie Featherston, who starred in the first film, and had cameos in the other two.
  27. Mar 20, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 is a movie that will primarily be enjoyed by die-hard fans of the franchise, and I can safely say that I am one of those people. By now, you pretty much know what to expect, but this entry does have quite a few tricks up its sleeve. Unlike the first 3 films, where most of the activity occurs while the characters are sleeping, most of the supernatural stuff happensParanormal Activity 4 is a movie that will primarily be enjoyed by die-hard fans of the franchise, and I can safely say that I am one of those people. By now, you pretty much know what to expect, but this entry does have quite a few tricks up its sleeve. Unlike the first 3 films, where most of the activity occurs while the characters are sleeping, most of the supernatural stuff happens during the daytime while the protagonist is home alone. This does strike a bit of a different fear because for some reason, houses are always scarier when you're home alone. Another thing that makes this movie stand out is the "Kinect cam", which displays hundreds of little dots across the living room when all the lights turn off due to the infrared This makes for some really subtle scares that you might not completely catch on the first viewing. The scares are inconsistent mostly due to the fact that there are quite a few fake-outs in the first half of the film (cat jumping in front of the camera, book falling, etc.), but when the scares work, they're really effective. It's certainly not a high point in the franchise, but it's still a reasonably fun and sometimes scary movie. Expand
  28. Mar 17, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 isn't that scary, but it's very suspenseful. It gives the franchise a modern twist without overdoing it, something that most modern horror movies fail at. Perfect for sleepovers!
  29. Apr 25, 2015
    They could have called this Paranormal Inactivity.

They could have called this Paranormal Inactivity.

It's a rare horror franchise indeed that manages to remain fresh and creepy by the time it arrives at installment #4. Paranormal Activity, despite a terrific beginning, quickly grew stale and repetitive and the third sequel is easily the most lifeless. It's as if all the first movie's assets have been turned into liabilities and all the energy has been leeched away. Part of the problem is that there's really nowhere for the series to go but finances have demanded that the filmmakers churn out a new episode every Halloween. Another issue is the way directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman present their footage (still first-person). Instead of using anticipation to build dread, they approach things in a more straightforward, matter-of-factly fashion. Payoffs are few and far between. The woman not paying attention as she dices vegetables does not lose a digit. The vanishing knife does not reappear in someone's back. There are far too many missed opportunities. The "boo!" moments lack punch. They're uniformly obligatory and not in the least bit shocking. In fact, especially toward the end, they verge on self-parody.

Paranormal Activity 4 follows the same basic formula: first-person footage tells the story of a family who finds their home life increasingly disturbed by potentially malevolent supernatural activity. In this case, the 15-year old heroine, Alex (Kathryn Newton), has a webcam set up on open (Apple) laptops in almost every room of the house, which limits (but does not eliminate) the amount of inappropriate time she has to spend running around carrying her computer. She has a boyfriend, younger brother, mother, and father. All of them are about as well-developed as one might expect. The real problem is the creepy across-the-street neighbors: a familiar figure from the Paranormal Activity saga, Katie (Katie Featherstone), who arrives with an adopted six-year old in tow.

For about 30 minutes, nothing happens. It's a little like watching home movies or PG web chats (because Kathryn Newton is the same age as her character, there's no question of any naughty stuff). Over the next 45 minutes, a few things go bump in the night, but there's a lot of dead space in which nothing much happens. Lots of shots of empty rooms. Of course, we stare hard at those empty rooms, expecting there to be something creepy or scary... unfortunately, they're just empty rooms. Then, every once in a while, someone strolls by. Doors mysteriously open while people are sleeping, but they never wake up or watch the footage. Only in about the last 10 minutes do things happen and, when they occur, the ineptitude of the direction is so extreme that the action turns comedic. Exiting the theater, I momentarily wondered if I had just witnessed a Paranormal Activity parody. But that would be giving far too many people too much credit for cleverness. This is just badly made formula schlock.

If there's one thing to compliment about Paranormal Activity 4, it's the performance of Kathryn Newton, who sells her role and the situation. The same cannot be said of the other actors, who lack Newton's naturalness. She seems like a teenager who's caught in a very bad situation (in more ways than one); her fellow thespians are awkward and unconvincing. The acting quality is on par with what one gets in faux-amateur porn films.

Paranormal Activity made the transition from low-budget horror phenomenon to bankable product with the release of the first sequel. Paramount's accountants are undoubtedly happy with the franchise but one wonders if the diluted level of scares offered by Paranormal Activity 4 will kill a series that has turned the concept of "found footage" from a legitimate stylistic choice to a groan-inducing mistake. Forget jumping the shark... this series has cleared a shark, a whale, and a submarine.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Oct 24, 2012
    This is one horror franchise that's burned itself out, and then some – not even the rare shock cuts to nothing much at all will startle anyone over the age of 8.
  2. Reviewed by: Chuck Wilson
    Oct 20, 2012
    Screenwriter Christopher Landon, along with co-directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, make a truly lame attempt at establishing a supernatural mythology to explain all this, but their real energies go to amping up the jarring sound cues, darting shadows, and last-shot shocker (so goofily weird this time that you'll laugh out loud) that make this franchise a perennial crowd-pleaser.
  3. Reviewed by: Ben Kenigsberg
    Oct 20, 2012
    Apart from a hi-def night-vision gimmick, returning directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman don't take advantage of either upgrade.