5.9

1. Jan 26, 2013
    "Parker" is a very poorly written movie with an uninteresting plot whose only saving grace are the action sequences. The first half was alright, but as soon as the subplot involving Jennifer Lopez, whose character is meant to provide comedic relief, begins about 1 hour in it takes a huge turn for the worse. Statham is a decent actor who has done much better movies and without him this"Parker" is a very poorly written movie with an uninteresting plot whose only saving grace are the action sequences. The first half was alright, but as soon as the subplot involving Jennifer Lopez, whose character is meant to provide comedic relief, begins about 1 hour in it takes a huge turn for the worse. Statham is a decent actor who has done much better movies and without him this would be a total flop. Lopez on the other hand was simply terrible, though not all of it was her fault because even the concept of her character was ridiculously stupid. Overall it is far too long for the script potential, Lopez's character was an awful addition, and the fact that the movie tries to be funny and serious at the same time all combine to make for a pretty bad experience. So in the end, a low brow flick that I would not recommend at all. Expand
  2. Feb 23, 2013
    Selected scenes balance this film’s less than balanced pacing and lackluster. All character motivations and plot points are clear; however, jumps are made throughout this story to push it, quickly, to its end causing the personal connection to be weaker than it was initially hoped to be.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    Jason Statham plays himself: This time as a pro thief who gets double-crossed by his gang, causing him to seek revenge. It's a pretty standard story with steady beats of action: lots of hand-to-hand, but not much that shows off his skills. Jennifer Lopez shows up to add some feminine charms, but the role is useless. Even though this is starting to sound negative, the movie is solid andJason Statham plays himself: This time as a pro thief who gets double-crossed by his gang, causing him to seek revenge. It's a pretty standard story with steady beats of action: lots of hand-to-hand, but not much that shows off his skills. Jennifer Lopez shows up to add some feminine charms, but the role is useless. Even though this is starting to sound negative, the movie is solid and never lags. For Statham fans, it's not one of his best, but it's still enjoyable. Expand
  4. Feb 4, 2013
    If Jason Statham has been stuck in one-dimensional roles, he's not going to make any breakthrough at Parker, despite having southern accent and hair at the first scene. A bit of action, more of heist thriller, Parker is overly long and awkwardly paced. Fight scenes are sparse, for those who hope for high octane skull mashing, this probably won't meet such expectation. Addition of JenniferIf Jason Statham has been stuck in one-dimensional roles, he's not going to make any breakthrough at Parker, despite having southern accent and hair at the first scene. A bit of action, more of heist thriller, Parker is overly long and awkwardly paced. Fight scenes are sparse, for those who hope for high octane skull mashing, this probably won't meet such expectation. Addition of Jennifer Lopez adds some light humorous touches, warranting her appearance more than just an eye candy.

Parker (Jason Statham) is a man betrayed by his teammate after completing an almost botched heist, he was shot and left to death. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't die and vows revenge instead. Most of the movie is cat-and-mouse plots as he chases them across countries in not so exciting pace. There are a couple of fights in between, although the amount feels lacking for a movie led by Jason. For these few scenes, they are done quite well though. Unbarred bone breaking punches, kicks and other assortments of nearby potential weapon swinging are viscerally entertaining.

The rest is a bare heist plot, which really won't hold a candle compare to more cerebral crime action movies. Pacing is undeniably slow, most of the things happen on-screen, even some with both leads appearing, are somewhat lackluster. The movie has about two hours in length and frankly with this long dragging set-up, one might expect some clever scheme building up towards the end, but it is not so. Without spoiling anything, the pace is equally stale from start to finish.

Jason Statham bring his usual screen presence, he's a rugged, honor bound thief who keeps his principles religiously. When he threatens or hurts someone, he does so very earnestly, at that regard, he fulfills his role. Jennifer Lopez as Leslie is actually quite good. For someone who has superstar fame, she acts as poor people convincingly. There are modesty and honesty when she appears as well, making her likeable to the audience, aside for her popularly known hind allure.

The two leading actors do their parts well, however the script and direction are mediocre. Parker is a bland movie, which has brief excitements across its lengthy run, albeit not nearly enough for the whole.
  5. May 31, 2013
    Parker wasn't as good of a movie as I was hoping it would be. It was much slower than most Jason Statham films and there wasn't much action. Even the few fighting scenes were less than we've come to expect. The acting was decent enough across the board and the concept of the movie, while cliche, was well executed. The ending was a bit anti-climactic and felt a little rushed. Overall, thisParker wasn't as good of a movie as I was hoping it would be. It was much slower than most Jason Statham films and there wasn't much action. Even the few fighting scenes were less than we've come to expect. The acting was decent enough across the board and the concept of the movie, while cliche, was well executed. The ending was a bit anti-climactic and felt a little rushed. Overall, this was just a decent movie that Statham fans will probably like but it's definitely not one of the better crime thrillers out there. Expand
  6. Mar 13, 2013
    Good old Jason Statham. He's made quite a few movies as the though but moral hardman who lives by a strict guideline. And yet when I think of his best roles I think of Snatch, Lock Stock & Mean Machine all films where he shows more comic timing than you might expect. And its something that Parker could have done with.

This is an action thriller that really should have been made in the

This is an action thriller that really should have been made in the 80's. It needs its tongue to stick a little more out of its check. The action scenes are done very well (one scene with a knife and a balcony is great) but thats to be expected from JS. He has a likeable charisma and just about carries the character of parker. They also have Michael Chiklis as chief villain he's a good fit for the role but doesn't get used enough for me. Instead of getting some fun, silly grandstanding from both guys, we get a more serious take on things which takes away from the mood rather than adds. The problem is the overall plot is rather silly. Thats not a bad thing as such but the film seems to want to play things very straight where a lighter touch would have helped things along much better in my mind.

I haven't mentioned J-lo yet and there's a reason. She adds nothing. At all. She lacks the charm for the role and (no offence obviously) but she seems too pretty and confident for a character who is, essential down on their look and desperate for a break from life. Really not sure what her character is meant to bring to the film she's not a love interest, she's doesn't bring fun or laughs and she fails at bringing sympathy. She's not even really a damsel in distress. The film would work pretty much ok without her.

Parker could have been better but as it is, it's not really worth bothering with. It's also quite long for a film of it's type and I reckon you may just be too bored by the end.
  7. Feb 3, 2013
    Statham and Jlo in the same film??? was the question I asked myself when the casting of this film was announced. And the final rendering on the screen makes me understand why I was doubtful. I mean, Parker is simply Statham's stereotyp type of film...an invincible hero who never cares to woman, even if the woman is Jennifer Lopez. The plot, is not very interesting, even if Jlo try toStatham and Jlo in the same film??? was the question I asked myself when the casting of this film was announced. And the final rendering on the screen makes me understand why I was doubtful. I mean, Parker is simply Statham's stereotyp type of film...an invincible hero who never cares to woman, even if the woman is Jennifer Lopez. The plot, is not very interesting, even if Jlo try to provide some comic situation. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie is pretty good.The story is okay,the villans are okay and it has good fighting.The only disappointing part was the end fight,It could have been way better.
  9. Nov 21, 2014
    Its good, not the best movie I've seen but worth a watch. After a successful heist Parker's gang crosses him and lefts him for dead. After he gets saved he goes on to take revenge. Good acting, decent story.
  10. May 16, 2013
    Parker is your typical Statham movie. Watch only if you are a die hard fan of Jason Statham. Else, this movie has nothing new or even interesting to offer.
  11. Dec 13, 2014
    Statham returns as a one man show out for revenge, I can't help but think I've seen this before. If his character was called 'Frank' it would have been Deja Vu. Parker has a weak premise and the story and characters are no different. No original elements, no interesting characters, no need to watch really.
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    Jennifer Lopez's hammy acting, for once, is necessary for this too slow placed thriller. Jason Statham provides us with the necessary entertainment from gun fights and knockouts, but the film itself, is stale and comes into the line of the repetitious action thrillers with mild thrills.
  13. Feb 5, 2015
    Parker is a mediocre movie. It doesn't have enough action to compete with other Jason Statham movies, its far too long and most of the performances are lame. Jennifer Lopez really doesn't need to be there because she's not much of a partner, she has no knowledge of the situation she's in and she isn't Parker's love interest either. I was happy to see Michael Chiklis as the villain but heParker is a mediocre movie. It doesn't have enough action to compete with other Jason Statham movies, its far too long and most of the performances are lame. Jennifer Lopez really doesn't need to be there because she's not much of a partner, she has no knowledge of the situation she's in and she isn't Parker's love interest either. I was happy to see Michael Chiklis as the villain but he really doesn't get any screen time, anyone could have been the villain in this movie. There are so many better Jason Statham movies than Parker. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Sobczynski
    Sep 9, 2014
    The best things about Parker are the two lead actors. Although working with material that is lackluster even by his standards, Statham manages to demonstrate a commanding screen presence that cannot be dismissed. Opposite him, Lopez delivers one of her more convincing performances.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Mar 4, 2013
    Fifty years after he first appeared, Donald E. Westlake’s antihero may have found his perfect avatar. Like Parker’s robberies, it isn’t entirely successful, but Statham and Lopez make enticingly mismatched partners in crime.
  3. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    Sometimes in life, simple pleasures can be rewarding, and that’s certainly the case here. Parker is not a particularly innovative film, but it’s no less effective for the blemish.