5.0

1. Nov 16, 2013
    Mall Cop arrests you with poor jokes.
    The premise of the film is okay at best, and the comedy isn't there as Happy Madison once again struggles to piece a movie together. The plot is fine until a ridiculous ending, and the overall product is something poor that could have been alright.
  2. May 11, 2013
    Kevin James has potential somewhat (see Grown ups, Hitch, I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry) but Paul Blart: Mall Cop squanders his ability to make audiences laugh and proves he cannot carry this unfunny script as an awkward, terrified mall cop. This movie is quite simply boring, dumbed down and leaves little to the imagination. James should stick to pairing alongside Sandler in movies,Kevin James has potential somewhat (see Grown ups, Hitch, I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry) but Paul Blart: Mall Cop squanders his ability to make audiences laugh and proves he cannot carry this unfunny script as an awkward, terrified mall cop. This movie is quite simply boring, dumbed down and leaves little to the imagination. James should stick to pairing alongside Sandler in movies, he ultimately fails on his own. Expand
  3. EvanB.
    Jan 17, 2009
    Surprisingly funny!
  4. collinc
    Jan 17, 2009
    Kinda funny. Mostly terrible. Mind you, Jayma Mays is ridiculously beautiful. It's just that, I don't want that to be the ONLY thing I remember leaving the movie. It was really really bad. James is funny and a great comedian. However, it's not okay to just be ridiculous and plain. It has to have a style. Don't make me mention the fact that nearly all the actors (save Kinda funny. Mostly terrible. Mind you, Jayma Mays is ridiculously beautiful. It's just that, I don't want that to be the ONLY thing I remember leaving the movie. It was really really bad. James is funny and a great comedian. However, it's not okay to just be ridiculous and plain. It has to have a style. Don't make me mention the fact that nearly all the actors (save James, Mays, and maybe a couple more here and there) were absolutely awful. Expand
  5. PeterA
    Jan 24, 2009
    It's another one of those could be funny movies but it takes no risks and the majority of the jokes were in the trailer.
  6. AlexO
    Jun 24, 2009
    I don't mind a dumb comedy with occasional yuk yuk laughs, but this one had none. It appears that Kevin James and Co were trying to make a slapstick version of DieHard. Didn't work. Avoid at all costs.
  7. Lauren
    Jun 29, 2009
    My stupid friends thought this was hilairous. i beg to differ, it is the most bland, crummy comedy i have ever seen. Kevin James is so unfunny, and i wished i had not seen it. It's so not funny if your acting, because all and all... it's just stupid.
  8. arbie
    Jan 22, 2009
    All the big, bad tells for this stinker are in the marketing. Promoted ceaselessly throughout the holidays instead of being released during the holidays. Calling itself "the #1 movie in America" immediately after release but with not even sold junket quotes saying the sort of generic crap that larger budget films can at least sell and use for the opening release weekend. Uncreative TV All the big, bad tells for this stinker are in the marketing. Promoted ceaselessly throughout the holidays instead of being released during the holidays. Calling itself "the #1 movie in America" immediately after release but with not even sold junket quotes saying the sort of generic crap that larger budget films can at least sell and use for the opening release weekend. Uncreative TV spots that use the same clips for two full months, despite more than five versions. I feel bad for the lead actor since this prevents him from ever being lead material -- not that he did anything but drag down Hitch -- but bad movies need to bomb for a reason. So that they don't get made as often, or as poorly. The ONE REASON this film exists is because the paper-thin mall cop concept could be sold at the executive level as a quick cash-in on teenagers who identify with teenage stuff and hang out at malls, "and stuff." Expand
  9. Apr 17, 2011
    I thought this was funny the first time i saw it. The second time it couldn't make me laugh. Most comedies can do that (ex- The Hangover, Zombieland, Ghostbusters). Overall it was a decent movie.
  10. Aug 27, 2010
    It would have been easy to laugh at Paul Blart, Mall Cop if the whole movie didn't go to such painstaking lengths to make him so pitiful. I have to wonder why the writers wasted effort on either end.
  11. Oct 15, 2010
    Terribly, terribly unfunny. It isn't offensive in the sense that the humor is lewd, rather the fact that the humor is so derivative, juvenile, and safe. Kevin James is above this. His stand-up is very funny, and "The King of Queens" had its moments, despite going on for what seems like an eternity. In fact, James is above every film I've seen him in.
  12. Nov 23, 2011
    Pretty boring if you ask me. Paul Blart is another crappy comedy from Happy Madison and it shows how unoriginal they are when they released this film. No real funny parts, Acting is poor, and the entire film is boring.
  13. Nov 10, 2010
    I was kinda let down with this one. I was really expecting more from an Adam Sandler film starring Kevin James. I may've laughed a time or two but thought it could've been much better.
  14. Jun 28, 2011
    This film, after some 2 and a half years of non-stop determining, was my sleeper hit of 2009. I watched it with a few friends expecting a cheap laugh or two from the film and a great time with my bros. Instead I got a few laughs and an overall clumsy yet charming kids movie.
  15. Jun 12, 2011
    Ugh, the funny parts in here are very boring,tho, is not mature at all, maybe kids will like this. To bad,, almost everything failed to make me laugh at loud.
  16. Aug 26, 2011
    This is the epitome of lazy comedy. We have one joke, Paul is fat. Let's try to stretch that for a full movie. It didn't work. Believe me, it didn't work.
  17. Jan 7, 2015
    Based on the 1 minute I saw of this garbage, avoid at all costs. The most annoying thing is they give the lead a segway to drive around on for his depressing mall job, when a walk would do the fat **** some good. A movie set in a mall, all plastic and depressing as hell
  18. AlexC.
    Mar 4, 2009
    i think its a very funy movie, mind you its not oscar worthy or anything but still very entertaining and the movie gets you rooting for Paul
    Jan 16, 2009
    Has a few surprises in store. The biggest is James, an unexpectedly nimble master of the face-plant, the failed jump, and the lopsided tumble.
  20. daryls
    Feb 8, 2009
    Good dumb fun. You know what the movie is about, you have seen it in 100's of comedy movies. However it does it well. Should have a long life on cable.
  21. LindaN
    May 20, 2009
    A lot better than you'd think. I laughed out loud at least 10 times. Kevin James is pretty freaking awesome on that Segway.
  22. NikeshP.
    Jul 7, 2009
    The first half of the film is so boring and uninteresting that it is not worth watching to get to the decent second half.
  23. JohnH.
    Aug 2, 2009
    A very funny, this can appeal to both adults and kids. It has a lot of plot twists and has good acting. For those of you that liked the Die Hard film, this should appeal to you. I think if you see this film you will recieve a great laugh. I would rate this film a 7 and a half, but if only goes 0,1,2,3,4,etc. See this movie. Just like National Treasure, I say screw what the critics think. A very funny, this can appeal to both adults and kids. It has a lot of plot twists and has good acting. For those of you that liked the Die Hard film, this should appeal to you. I think if you see this film you will recieve a great laugh. I would rate this film a 7 and a half, but if only goes 0,1,2,3,4,etc. See this movie. Just like National Treasure, I say screw what the critics think. Respectfully. Expand
  24. DavidH
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yes it is goofy and very typical for Kevin James. I Like James enough that I still enjoyed going and I was able to take my teenage daughter. Not extremely memorable, but somewhat refreshing to see something that isn't full of shock-value crudeness.
  25. MarkB.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Has there been an unusually large amount of full moons lately? Believe it or not, 3 (count 'em, 3) comedies released by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions in the past year have turned out to be, well, not totally terrible! Last summer's You Don't Mess With the Zohan wasn't hugely amusing or accomplished, but at least by Sandler standards it lacked most of Has there been an unusually large amount of full moons lately? Believe it or not, 3 (count 'em, 3) comedies released by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions in the past year have turned out to be, well, not totally terrible! Last summer's You Don't Mess With the Zohan wasn't hugely amusing or accomplished, but at least by Sandler standards it lacked most of the mean-spiritedness and cruel edge that most of his starring vehicles (The Longest Yard, Click) possess in abundance, while the Labor Day hit The House Bunny, though typically dumb and lowbrow, showcased a sparkling, endearing comic performance by Anna Faris. Paul Blart: Mall Cop is the best of the bunch, which, mind you, doesn't make it all THAT good. The idea of spoofing Die Hard has genuine potential, and there are some nice ideas sprinkled throughout (particularly the inclusion of a Paul Gleason-ish law enforcement dumbass) but the writing and direction feature more holes than Dunkin Donut's entire 2008 output. If a group of master criminals wants to rob a mall, why do so on Black Friday rather than a somewhat less busy but still profitable sales day, the better to cut down on possible glitches and x-factors? And wouldn't a mall that large employs some REAL cops as well as mall cops on the biggest projected sales day of the year? And how truly easy is it to clear a 200-store-plus shopping center of patrons in such a short time without causing massive mob hysteria, panic, accidents and injuries? (For that matter, how likely is it that a mall that huge wouldn't include a multiplex cinema--the emptying of which would cause a whole different set of logistical problems...and comic possibilities?) Paul Blart: Mall Cop nevertheless works to the degree that it does partially because of...Paul Blart himself, played by KIng of Queens' Kevin James, who was tremendously likable in Will Smith's Hitch and ably carried the grieving-widower heavy baggage in Sandler's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry; here he's an underdog overachiever who generates notable rooting interest as he pursues both the bad guys and his dream girl Amy, the curator of a hair-extension kiosk in the mall. Speaking of which, Jayma Mays as the object of Paul's affections is even better: an actress who's just as skilled at playing truly nice people as Amy Adams is--no small compliment!--Mays stole Wes Craven's Red Eye a few years ago as a sweetly beleaguered hotel clerk, and here generates tremendous kindness, warmth and concern for Blart; when he gets sloppy drunk and makes a fool of himself, Mays exudes just as much embarrassment for him as she does discomfort at being in his presence. Director Steve Carr's smartest decision is to cut to as many Amy reaction shots as humanly possible; kudos also to the wonderfully straightfaced music score, which is in the fine tradition of Elmer Bernstein's work on Animal House, Trading Places and Airplane! All in all, the relative nonsuckitude of Happy Madison's latest effort is as pleasingly unlikely as...say, an African-American being elected President, a plane making a safe landing in the Hudson River or the Arizona Cardinals making it to the Super Bowl, so isn't it reassuring to know that ANYTHING is possible? Expand
  26. BrianL
    Jan 24, 2009
    Sheesh reviewers are harsh. The beginning might seem like it might lead to a meiocre movie, but it iis really fun as it goes on. the downside is that you really won't care about it 2 hours after you see it, but it still is a movie i would recommend.
  27. matthewa.
    Jan 27, 2009
    The real question is how any self-respecting critic could give this movie a "green" rating. Each of them should lose their job immediately.
  28. caseyn.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Movie is a throwback to 90's comedies. Not to serious, and just funny.
  29. GaryM.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Come on people. This movie is exactly what it says it will be. It's a spoof. It's a really good Die Hard spoof. Kevin James is the lovable loser that we look for in these movies. I smell another Paul Blart flick coming. It's made 100 mil. Good stuff.
  30. MaryF.
    Feb 28, 2009
    I just saw this with my 6 yo grandson we both had a blast. A little slow at first but a real fun time towards the end, little violence and swearing made it even better.

1. Reviewed by: Adam Markovitz
    It's as slam-bang preposterous as any R-rated comedy you can name. It's just that Paul Blart and the film's other characters don't feel the need to use the f-word as the building block of every sentence.
  3. Reviewed by: Luke Y. Thompson
    Done as an all-out battle to the death, this could have been an entertaining mix of "Die Hard" and "The A-Team."