Pearl Harbor

5.6

1. Nov 29, 2010
    one of my faverite movies of all time. The love story is not as good as the titanics but still enjoyable. The bombing was by far the best of the whole movie and the ending will make you cry the first time you see it.
  2. DanR.
    Sep 30, 2005
    Armageddon, in its blend of ridiculous action sequences and tear-jerking, sopping sentimentality is perhaps bearable as escapist entertainment because of its science fiction premise. What is so offensive about this film is it's attempt to apply a similar kind of blind action movie for the guys/shallow romance for the chicks aesthetic to an actual, tragic event. Only Cuban Armageddon, in its blend of ridiculous action sequences and tear-jerking, sopping sentimentality is perhaps bearable as escapist entertainment because of its science fiction premise. What is so offensive about this film is it's attempt to apply a similar kind of blind action movie for the guys/shallow romance for the chicks aesthetic to an actual, tragic event. Only Cuban Gooding's acting, the production values of the main attack sequence, and the depiction of the intelligence and communication failures that could have prevented the disaster deserve some credit. The rest is insulting. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    This movie is so superficial and exaggerated, that it feels like an empty hollow shell of a movie that is historically inaccurate with lots of Michael Bay-approved explosions.
  4. Mar 28, 2015
    Here's a quote from the movie that shows how bad the dialogue is:
    -Ben Affleck: "You are so beautiful it hurts"
    -Kate Beckinsale: "It's your nose that hurts"
    -Ben Affleck: "I think it's my heart"
    Wow...that's just...wow. The first time I saw that scene, I literally cringed in my seat because of those lines
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    Michael Bay's so called blockbuster "Pearl Harbor" is a strong biased movie with cheesy dialogue and a terrible script. The next thing the movie needs is more trimming on the film edit (Seriously, 2 hours 58 minutes?), and less preposterous action.
  6. KoenD.
    May 30, 2006
    Ridiculous movie. Worst movie I've seen in my entire life.
  7. JadeA.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Pearl Harbor was the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life. And it's the only movie that ever made me cry. I think the reason why I liked this movie so much was becasue it shows kids nowadays what life was like back then and all the fighting we went through for our country. Also, because Ben and Josh looked SOOOOOOOO FINE!!! Go see it!!!
  8. Jun 11, 2011
    Pearl Harbor is a war and love film that re imagines the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid and tells the story about two Tennessee men named Rafe McCawley and Danny Walker who are now working in the Army Air Corps. Rafe is having a romantic relationship with a nurse named Evelyn as well as trying to struggle with his friendship with Danny, but little do they know thatPearl Harbor is a war and love film that re imagines the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid and tells the story about two Tennessee men named Rafe McCawley and Danny Walker who are now working in the Army Air Corps. Rafe is having a romantic relationship with a nurse named Evelyn as well as trying to struggle with his friendship with Danny, but little do they know that the Japanese have planned to attack Pearl Harbor.

For a film that has something to do with the most important event from the 1940s, I found this movie to be quite a guilty pleasure. It has the style and the potential of the event, but that's not worth saying much.

The sets were too cheesy, The romance was boring, There were overused clichés, and the storyline was too tiresome and predictable even though it was trying to keep you interested of what's going on. That's it for the bad.

So, what about the good things? Well, I will say this: The cinematography was great, The actors have pretty much talent from their roles, The CGI effects were okay, and the action wasn't that bad. I liked Michael Bay's directing and it has given the actors enough screen time.

Overall, Pearl Harbor isn't good or bad either. It's very mediocre at best, but at least Michael Bay tried. It may not be the best movie you could ever see in your entire life, but it's definitely worth a watch.

9. T.T.
    Aug 20, 2001
    Real crap. Amazingly unengaging. Worst points have to be the dialogue and thin characterizations.
  10. Emily
    Jun 30, 2001
    This is the best movie that I have ever seen. It was true to history, and the love story kept the audience interested.
  11. JessicaB
    Aug 11, 2001
    This is the best movie I've ever seen, go see it, its very good.
  12. BrandonD.
    May 29, 2001
    This film was so bad I found myself rooting for the Japanese to kill Alec Baldwin. Other than some impressive special effects, this movie made me almost vommit each and every time one of the characters spoke. Don't waste your money.
  13. AshleighM.
    Feb 27, 2002
    I hate how it had so much love in it. I want to see more death.
    Jun 3, 2002
    The actors were about the only good thing in that movie. I don't know if it's just me, but the last part where they go to get back at the Japanese seemed a bit overly dramatic and it made Americans seem blood-thirsty and sort of braun over brains.
  15. JoeK.
    Jan 16, 2003
    This movie sucked. it isn't worthy of sitting on my dvd shelf, so i put it on the floor under a rug.
  16. DonH.
    Sep 18, 2005
    Attack on Pearl first-rate, gut-wrenching. All else maudlin at best. Oddly, all leads are unconvincing save at times Cuba Gooding Jr, as if there was no rehearsal, and nearly all 'minor' parts convincing. Nice bit by Jennifer Garner as a frenzied nurse, some inspired shots of children at play watching in bewilderment as Japanese bombers approaching the harbor fly low over them.
  17. EricaH.
    Jan 1, 2009
    One of my favorite movies. Its a bit on the lengthy side, sure. But its made up of a really great cast which, for me, just brings it all together.
  18. mirandao
    Jun 12, 2009
    I absolutely love this movie! i cry almost everytime i see it near the end, and when rafe comes back of course! i think the love story is bittersweet, and the film is marked with outstanding special effects during the battle scenes. the only minor flaws with this movie is affleck's mediocre acting and sometimes-corny dialogue. you should definitely buy a copy of pearl harbor!!
  19. GerronK.
    Jul 26, 2006
    "Pearl Harbor" is an intricately made war movie. Forget the superficial romance and the especially bad dialogue in the first 30 minutes of the movie. It gives an intense perspective of what happened on that fateful day and what happened after. I enjoyed the movie a whole lot. It may have been 30 minutes shorter, but as it is it works.
  20. Oct 19, 2011
    Despite the lame love story, this was a very entertaining World War II movie (dare I say it, better than Saving Private Ryan). Not to mention one of the most patriotic movies out there!
  21. Sep 13, 2011
    The movie was good especially when they play chicken with the zeros, the only reason i didn't give it a 10 was because, the story line was thrown off when the girl cheated on the main character.
  22. Oct 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Way too long. Quite boring too. If there was actually content, it might do justice to the length. But the only bit of action (where Japanese attack Pearl Harbor) is not well done or connected to the story. I mean, how the hell do these idiots hope to take down planes with a shotgun or thompson? Expand
  23. Jan 26, 2012
    Throughout many areas of acting, it was corny, the script was retarded, several actors were miscast in their roles, the story was lifeless and unappealing, and the historical inaccuracy suffers from a poorly-written back-and-forth plot. In fact, many action sequences were misguided despite a lot of entertaining explosions. I am NOT impressed.
  24. Feb 9, 2013
    Except for a 40 minutes of massive explosions and pretty good film making while the Japanese attack, the movie couldn't be more boring, phony, and irritating.
  25. EvanC.
    May 26, 2001
    This movie royally sucked! First off, for the amount of time the movie lasted (2hr 58m) it should have been much better. Secondly, the love story did no justice for the film. Although, the special effects in the film were nothing short of amazing they can't carry the movie the entire time. I would have much rather seen a movie about the realtionship between the two friends than the This movie royally sucked! First off, for the amount of time the movie lasted (2hr 58m) it should have been much better. Secondly, the love story did no justice for the film. Although, the special effects in the film were nothing short of amazing they can't carry the movie the entire time. I would have much rather seen a movie about the realtionship between the two friends than the dreaded love story. Yuck... Expand
  26. Melissa
    Nov 6, 2002
    This is the best movie i have ever seen. Whoever gave it less that a 8 has lost their mind it is so good. What makes it so real is the main character dosent always live and the scenes with the bombing.
  27. MeredithD.
    Aug 20, 2002
    I loved this movie...and i think that josh hartnett and ben affleck were picked wonderfully to play at these characters.
  28. JamesL.
    Jun 6, 2001
    I have to say that for all the hype surrounding this movie, it was a bit of a let-down. The love story was less-than-engaging to say the least. The war scenes, however, were as spectacular as others have said, very realistic... almost too realistic. But, the three hour run time was a bit excessive and not necessary.
  29. MustaphaM.
    Jun 6, 2001
    Let me put it this way: The director definitely makes war better than he makes love.
  30. JessicaB
    Aug 11, 2001
    This is the best movie I've ever seen, go see it, its very good.
  31. L.M.
    Aug 9, 2001
    The best movie eva!
  32. AnnaB.
    Sep 11, 2001
    This movie is very good.
  33. FransuaR.
    Jan 31, 2002
    I realy like this movie a lot specialy the romance part I like movies with romance and action. I agree with Nikki because Josh Harnett looks soooooo gooood.
  34. BrittaniM.
    Jul 16, 2002
    I think it is a good movie with good actors and a very sad and romantic story with romanc, action, and thrills.
  35. EmilyL.
    Feb 16, 2003
    Hello, Anyobdy that gave this movie under a 10 needs there head re examined. Josh hartnett and Ben Affleck totally deserved the parts they got, they rocked. The love story held it together making drama what a movie needs. The action made suspense what a movie needs. The ending is so sad but it leaves you thinking! I watched this movie and became more aware of the devastation at Pearl Harbor!
  36. YoonC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    It takes way too long to reach the big climax and when it comes it goes on forever as nothing more than a videogame. Then it goes on for what seems like tedious eternity to show Americans striking back. Star Wars was reputed to have borrowed freely from WWII footages of air battles; ironically, it has come full circle as this film borrows from Star Wars the movie(and the video game?). Ben It takes way too long to reach the big climax and when it comes it goes on forever as nothing more than a videogame. Then it goes on for what seems like tedious eternity to show Americans striking back. Star Wars was reputed to have borrowed freely from WWII footages of air battles; ironically, it has come full circle as this film borrows from Star Wars the movie(and the video game?). Ben Affleck is dashing in lead role but everyone and everything is too dumb for comment. Worse, dumb on a bombastic Riefenstahl scale. Too bad Japan didn't bomb Hollywood instead. Expand
  37. DavidA.
    May 27, 2001
    Putting the stars aside, real people end up in harm's way and the dreadful effect of war portrayed in the attack was profound. Okay, the love story was a little trite, but WWII movies (but for "From Here to Eternity," don't have love stories. And there's a twist in Pearl Harbor that could have ended up on Springer. The presence of the love story reminds me of what Winston Putting the stars aside, real people end up in harm's way and the dreadful effect of war portrayed in the attack was profound. Okay, the love story was a little trite, but WWII movies (but for "From Here to Eternity," don't have love stories. And there's a twist in Pearl Harbor that could have ended up on Springer. The presence of the love story reminds me of what Winston Churchill said about dancing bears in the circus, "What's important is not how well a bear dances, it that a bear dances at all." Expand
  38. JackD.
    Jun 11, 2001
    Not quite as bad as most of the reviews..but almost. Some of the dialog is truly awful and the acting is up to the level of the dialog. Maybe if Matt Damon had played the role of the nurse instead of Kate Beckinsale, Ben Affleck would have shown a wider range of emotions. Michael Bay's dog, Mason, could have done it better... At least we dont have to worry about a sequel...
  39. FranziskaP.
    Jul 18, 2001
    I´m from Germany, and I had watched the film three times. The story is brilliant and the actors very good. I did not known anything about Pearl Harbor, but now I´m smarter. I´m sorry for my English, but I want to say that.
  40. DonD.
    Jul 22, 2001
    Incredible war scenes, but this movie could have been done better with about 45 minutes less footage of a hokey love story. Kate Beckinsale is a star waiting to happen.
  41. DavidM.
    Aug 12, 2001
    It's the best film I've ever seen.
  42. ScottS.
    Aug 13, 2001
    VERY Good movie. Had a little bit too many kissy-kissy parts. but some of the best action scenes I've seen. Much better than what anybody says.
  43. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I was a little unsure of Pearl Harbor. I had eagerly awaited it myself, but when the bad reviews sailed in from American critics, I thought maybe the NZ premiere wouldn?t please. But, I was wrong. I really enjoyed this film. The battle sequences are some of the best ever filmed, the acting is top-notch, the sound is booming and vibrating and the direction is focused and careful, Pearl I was a little unsure of Pearl Harbor. I had eagerly awaited it myself, but when the bad reviews sailed in from American critics, I thought maybe the NZ premiere wouldn?t please. But, I was wrong. I really enjoyed this film. The battle sequences are some of the best ever filmed, the acting is top-notch, the sound is booming and vibrating and the direction is focused and careful, Pearl Harbor is easily Michael Bay?s best effort. The romantic triangle can at times be extremely corny, tedious and predictable, and the first hour is lacking in excitement. But, that all changes in the last 2 hours, which are incredibly tense and utterly brilliant. Pearl Harbour is a movie that forces you to stay in your seat for as long as the 3 hours take, and is a powerful and unique war experience. I really liked the comedy at the start, but slowly and surely, the comic side of the film turned to dramatic atmosphere. The film was able to change its genres surprisingly and unexpectedly, giving you the odd laugh and the expected tear. If I was ever to watch this movie again, I would probably fast-forward the first hour and get to the superb action scenes, but the first hour is needed to give the film its intelligence. So, even if this film is flawed and sometimes inaccurate, it?s still nothing short of a must-see for war and romance genre freaks. Collapse
  44. Classified
    Sep 28, 2001
    This movie was enough to make me like it.
  45. Nikki
    Jan 30, 2002
    I'm a 14-yr-old teenage girl and u might think why i would love a war movie? Well it's not all about war it's actually about romance too...and it makes u go awww...ok so anyways the war scenes looked good too since Josh Hartnett was in it and he was always looking so hot.! so go see it girls...at least see it for josh hartnett ! he is HOT !
  46. JackyS.
    Mar 6, 2002
    This is a great movie. It is the best one I have ever seen. It really makes me sad to know that many people in died in WWII. I know I can only rate it to ten, but I give it a rate of more that 100. I love Faith Hill's song, "There You'll Be," it always makes me cry like I see it a lot because I own the movie. It's a great movie. Two thumbs up!!!!
  47. GabeT.
    Mar 9, 2002
    Every print of this film should be destroyed. They took one of the greatest disasters in American history for an attempt at telling a silly love story. It trivializes what was essentially 9/11 for a past generation. And as a fluffy love story, it is inept and unforgivably stupid. Despicable.
  48. SammieD.
    Jul 15, 2002
    I am also a 14 year old girl. I loved this movie, the actors were great! They picked the best actors to play Rafe and Danny, and ever since I saw that movie I have been more interested in the Pearl Harbor attack. I thought it was a very well thought out movie, and i loved the actors! Ben and Josh deserved those parts! =)
  49. Carrie
    Sep 14, 2002
    Melodramatic? Yes. Hackneyed love story? Yes. Cliched ending? Yes. Historically accurate? Beats me. Worth three hours of your life? Absolutely. Great score, tremendous battle scences. Good acting - - some of Affleck's finest work. If you haven't seen it yet, get it. My advice - - don't try to analyze it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  50. AndrewP.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Great battle scenes and awesome cinematography, but other than that, this movie sucked! A total waste of time and money.
  51. CassiL.
    Mar 18, 2003
    They were all really good actors!
  52. DaveC.
    Nov 1, 2001
    I couldn't believe my eyes as I was watching this. Watching this film was the most dreadfully torturous experience I've had in many years. The performances were bad (Alec Baldwin, in particular, gives the worst performance of the year), the screenplay was the absolute lowest point in big budget war cinema of all time, and I found the whole concept to be the most tasteless and I couldn't believe my eyes as I was watching this. Watching this film was the most dreadfully torturous experience I've had in many years. The performances were bad (Alec Baldwin, in particular, gives the worst performance of the year), the screenplay was the absolute lowest point in big budget war cinema of all time, and I found the whole concept to be the most tasteless and exploitative jargon we've had in many years. Did anyone really think that Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer took on this project to educate the people about the event and to commemorate those who served and were killed in the war? No. If that was the case, they would have tried to get some amount of the facts correctly. It wouldn't have intersected the film with three hours of the lamest romance ever put on celluloid. This film was made for money and recognition for the people who made. Luckily, this one bombed. If you're over 15 and know anything about Pearl Harbor, skip this one. Expand
  53. RachelR.
    Dec 31, 2001
    I thought the movie was great. It made you feel like you were there. I also thought that Josh Hartnett looked really hot fighting the Japanese too.
  54. KateL.
    Dec 7, 2001
    A terrible movie -- insulting and offensive. From the guys who brought us 'Armageddon' -- a film that I enjoyed simply because it was a big ridiculous thrill ride with just the right blend of cheese and FX. 'Pearl Harbor' is made with the same formula (and one of the same actors, Ben "Get me to a damn plane!" Affleck, who is nothing but an overgrown frat boy strutting A terrible movie -- insulting and offensive. From the guys who brought us 'Armageddon' -- a film that I enjoyed simply because it was a big ridiculous thrill ride with just the right blend of cheese and FX. 'Pearl Harbor' is made with the same formula (and one of the same actors, Ben "Get me to a damn plane!" Affleck, who is nothing but an overgrown frat boy strutting for the camera), but it fails because when you put a name, face and race on a metaphorical asteroid and call it the Japanese, the fun disappears and the slurs begin (I stopped counting the times I heard "damn Japs"). Yes, the FX are great, but it's Titanic territory revisited, and after a while you're yawning your way through yet another extra flailing in the water, yet another explosion, etc. They should have made the battles scenes into a one hour reenactment for cable and cut out the rest of the film -- the hour before and the hour after the attack are incredibly predictable and full of pandering, formulaic cheese. The love story is disjointed and the characters are cartoons -- Affleck is his usual brawny mess, Josh Harnett puts forth a decent young-Tommy-Lee-Jones effort but can't save his doomed Danny, and Kate Beckinsale pulls a Kate Winslet by hopping from a respected place on the international/independent circuit to an unfortunate hair-and-makeup turn in a disaster blockbuster (Winslet has barely recovered from "the boat film"... let's cross our fingers for poor Beckinsale, who shouldn't be wasting her time with stuff like this). Why Cuba Gooding, Jr. chose to take part at all is beyond me. Dan Ackroyd, on the other hand, is right up his own alley as the Navy Intelligence man who saw it coming -- in real life, Ackroyd is the Alien Intelligence man who is waiting for an extraterrestrial encounter so that he can tell us he told us so... so I think he had some fun. As for Alec Baldwin, he's on the fast track to becoming one of the worst actors of all time, and Jon Voight is apparently trying to add historical charicatures to his resume (he's following his cartoon Roosevelt with another study in prosthetics as Howard Cosell in 'Ali'). 'Pearl Harbor' rips off many other disaster/war films from 'Titanic' to 'Top Gun', and is nothing more than a great big mess. I don't condemn it completely because of Hartnett's effort, the FX, and James King, who makes an easy, natural step from highly successful model to competent actress (her Betty is one of the few characters you actually feel something for, spared simply because she wasn't given the screen time to become a cartoon). Otherwise, I would actively discourage any thinking filmgoer from suffering through this movie. Mike & Jerry should stick to asteroids. Expand
  55. ScottR.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Weak. Afraid. Untrue. This is lacking in historical substance. But politically correct. Next time get a director who is not afraid of what people think and tells the truth.
  56. EvelynJ.
    Jul 31, 2001
    This movie is the best! I've seen it 4 times with my friend! We know almost all the lines! Our rooms have over 200 pictures of the stars and scenes from the movie! You've gotta see it!
  57. SavannahT.
    Jan 29, 2002
    Pearl Harbor was the greatest movie ever! I'm 14 and I watch A LOT of movies and Pearl Harbor is the 1st one to make me cry! And Josh Hartnett looks soooooo good!
  58. MeganS.
    Feb 16, 2002
    Not once in the three hours that it took to view this movie was I bored. It's filled with a wonderful cast and the whole thing was breathtaking!
  59. BrianK.
    Mar 13, 2002
    It sucked! I could make a better movie than that. It is a waste of time and money.
  60. RyanB.
    Jul 27, 2002
    I thought this was a good movie.They didnt really need a love story but you need something to hold the movie together.Those people who gave it a bad rating need to pull their heads out of their a**es! They wou'dnt know a good movie if it slapped em in the face. If you think this movie is bad go back to watching Ernest goes to camp and freddy got fingered because your taste in movies I thought this was a good movie.They didnt really need a love story but you need something to hold the movie together.Those people who gave it a bad rating need to pull their heads out of their a**es! They wou'dnt know a good movie if it slapped em in the face. If you think this movie is bad go back to watching Ernest goes to camp and freddy got fingered because your taste in movies is simply crap! This movie rocked! Expand
  61. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    And to think this schlock was conceived, written, produced and released before the rallying cry of September 11th. I can't think of a worse love story, or a worse sensationalism of war, or a worse role for Cuba Gooding Jr. (if only Jerry Maguire were your real life agent), or a worse performance by anyone named Ben, or a worse movie, period. Get tape protection if you rent it, so you And to think this schlock was conceived, written, produced and released before the rallying cry of September 11th. I can't think of a worse love story, or a worse sensationalism of war, or a worse role for Cuba Gooding Jr. (if only Jerry Maguire were your real life agent), or a worse performance by anyone named Ben, or a worse movie, period. Get tape protection if you rent it, so you can gather the family and burn it together. Expand
  62. KyleA.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Avoid Ben Affleck like the plagued!
  63. JaredC.
    Aug 16, 2007
    I prefer war genre's, and this is a good choice, but comparing it to Behind Enemy Lines, U-571, and Saving Private Ryan, this is an embarresment, it was worked out the most terrible way possible, I hated absolutely everything in it.
  64. ThomasK
    Dec 1, 2008
    When this DVD came out, I was dying to buy it for my collection sure that even though I had not seen it...I was sure to love it. This is the most disrespectful and irresponsible excuse for a film of all time. Worst movie ever, ever, ever! If you know anything at all about WW2 or historical war movies than think of this trash as someone spitting on the graves of those who died on When this DVD came out, I was dying to buy it for my collection sure that even though I had not seen it...I was sure to love it. This is the most disrespectful and irresponsible excuse for a film of all time. Worst movie ever, ever, ever! If you know anything at all about WW2 or historical war movies than think of this trash as someone spitting on the graves of those who died on 12/7/1941. This is not about the attack on Pearl Harbor at all. It should be called "As the World Turns" and the DVD is not even worthy of being a coaster on my coffee table. Throw it in the fireplace and let it burn if you have any pride in this country. Worst movie all time. Expand
  65. RyanM.
    Dec 15, 2001
    Okay, so it's no return to the war genre from "The Thin Red Line." But, it is very, very, very entertaining. Its epic valor and powerful 40 minute bombing sequence are exceptionally executed. Also, the performances are surprisingly good, Josh Hartnett surprised me as the third man in the triangle of love. Ben Affleck was solid (as he usually is.) And Kate Beckinsale! Wow! What a Okay, so it's no return to the war genre from "The Thin Red Line." But, it is very, very, very entertaining. Its epic valor and powerful 40 minute bombing sequence are exceptionally executed. Also, the performances are surprisingly good, Josh Hartnett surprised me as the third man in the triangle of love. Ben Affleck was solid (as he usually is.) And Kate Beckinsale! Wow! What a performance. I thought I was watching the next Susan Sarandon right in front of me. It is one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen this decade. And, even though it didn't make a penny in profits. it looks like it would?ve with it?s brilliant special effects. It?s one of the most amazingly put together films of the year, and its battle sequence it genuinely frightening. Expand
  66. MitchK.
    Nov 16, 2002
    Good points: yer actual "bombing o' Pearl Harbor" is one of the best action scenes of all. Ben Affleck can act, so can Josh Hartnett and Kate Beckinsale. Bad things: everything else. It trivialises one of the greatest-worst atrocities in history, the love story is totally appalling, and...everything. Make the bad thing stop, mummy.
  67. Oct 27, 2010
    i remember when this film was coming out i wanted to see it really bad . i love war movies espicially ones based on real wars that are factaul. i was camping at the time and dragged my friends away from are vecation to go see this film . i feel so bad that i made my friends wach this gaurbage . this film had for ever eched why micheal bay is a **** director and always will be . first off ii remember when this film was coming out i wanted to see it really bad . i love war movies espicially ones based on real wars that are factaul. i was camping at the time and dragged my friends away from are vecation to go see this film . i feel so bad that i made my friends wach this gaurbage . this film had for ever eched why micheal bay is a **** director and always will be . first off i find it near impossable to screw up a war film based on actaul events when every thing is writtin for you all you have to do is read a history book and bam you have your scripts but no bay wanted to turn a tragic day in american history into a damn love story ... WTF does a love story have to do with the attack on pearl harbor? not a damn thing .i was expecting a indepth look into the US military and japanese military eplaining this all . but no it was a indepth look at a love triangle with some HORRABLE acting . this was micheal bay trying to rip off james cameron's titanic film . this film takes a HUGE crap on all the people who fought and died at pearl harbor . if i was a vet from that battle id go punch micheal bay in the face and poke his eyes out so he is unable to make more **** films like this. Expand
  68. Mar 30, 2011
    I wish that someday Michael Bay is at some resort and something like this would happen to him. He has hit a career low, here. The only movies that are worst than this are Freddy Got Fingered, Battlefield Earth, The Happening, and Transformers 2.
  69. Dec 16, 2010
    So disappointing ... just when i thought Hollywood was going to continue to make great War flicks (which i love btw) this comes out. Not only did it get the sappy "Hollywood spin" but it dragged on and on and I was surprised I was so bored with it half way through. Truly I love War movies and they are my favorite genre but what a bore this was. Only the great special effects saved it fromSo disappointing ... just when i thought Hollywood was going to continue to make great War flicks (which i love btw) this comes out. Not only did it get the sappy "Hollywood spin" but it dragged on and on and I was surprised I was so bored with it half way through. Truly I love War movies and they are my favorite genre but what a bore this was. Only the great special effects saved it from being a total Turkey and eking out a 4! Expand
  70. Dec 3, 2011
    I thought this movie was pure crap! It made me want to puke my lungs out and then eat them again and then puke them out one more time. It's just another one of Michael Bay's nothing but special effect and cool action sequence movies which have absolutely no storyline and rely only special effects. That's why he's said to be one of the worst directors in all of movie making and has only fewI thought this movie was pure crap! It made me want to puke my lungs out and then eat them again and then puke them out one more time. It's just another one of Michael Bay's nothing but special effect and cool action sequence movies which have absolutely no storyline and rely only special effects. That's why he's said to be one of the worst directors in all of movie making and has only few okay movies (Transformers, The Rock). Enough about the director, let's talk about the actual movie I'm reviewing. Let's start with the less weak characteristics of this film. One is the length. There was an intermission and I had to switch the discs. Right when i thought it was finally over and I could get back to my life, it had another 3 hours. A little exaggeration but the movie felt like years to me because of the pain of watching it. It was so boring and just plain stupid that I was actually hesitant to put in the other disc and finish it, because after the first disc, it could have been over. It had a conclusion and everything and nothing was missing but Michael bay had to go and **** up Hollywood once again. Movies like this and Michael bay make me so mad (as you may have guessed) and it embarrasses me that good actors and directors, such as Spielberg and Matt Damon, are working the same jobs as these bozzos. Not only do I hate the length I also hate the acting and storyline. Both were terrible and Ben Affleck is the king of it. Almost every one of his movies (besides The Town and Good Will Hunting) are terrible and his acting is also bad. He's my least favorite actor for sure. The only reason I gave it a one is for it's special effects. They were actually outstanding fo its time and I at least applaud that, but everything else, I boo. So don't waste your time watchin this. It just makes me want to shoot my own movie and compare the two of them. In conclusion, MINES BETTER!! Take that Mike. Expand
  71. Jan 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Drama, love-triangle (dead are not always as dead as you think, so never start dating your darling's best friend before you know for sure ;). War and its consequences are well displayed in this movie, which had depth, but still doesn't reach my heart. Expand
  72. Dec 30, 2013
    Directed by Michael Bay, "Pearl Harbor" is an explosive and action-packed war film. That being said, its script and acting are simply terrible in many places. The dialogue in serious moments are so cheesy, you honestly want to laugh instead of realizing the situation and become emotional. Well, once again, Michael Bay impresses us with his action, but overall resembles a disappointment.
  73. Nov 7, 2012
    The most incoherent plotless war film I've ever been forced to sit through in my entire life.
  74. Apr 30, 2013
    Pearl Harbor. Yeah, it's another Micheal Bay movie. People think it's the best movie ever. Trust me a one time watch only. So, Pearl Harbor is about 2 friends who get twindled in love with a girl while fighting the sadistc Vietnam horror. This film revolves around Japanese warriors fighting Alec Baldwin. F**k yeah! This movie is good for two things- Acting and Story.
  75. Nov 26, 2013
    I need u like Ben Affleck needs acting school
    He was terrible in that film
    I need u like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part
    He's way better than Ben Affleck
  76. Mar 28, 2015
    Though similar to Titanic in the form of a love/disaster story, Pearl Harbor loses points in the form of originality, but makes up for thrilling action sequences. Aside from It being a film, may it serve as a reminder of the events that took place at Pear Harbor long ago.
  77. Sep 30, 2016
    Director Michael Bay and producer Jerry Bruckhemier decide to do their best when it comes to re-telling the story of Pear Harbor in 'Pearl Harbor'... a love-triangle romance film disguised as an epic and tragic war film.

Ben Affleck stars as Lieutenant Rafe McCawley, who is best friends with his childhood buddy, Lieutenant Danny Walker (Josh Hartnett). The two of them seem to be respected by Major Jimmy Doolittle (Alec Baldwin), despite their sometimes eccentric behavior. We see that later on Rafe seems to be infatuated with a Nurse named Evelyn Johnson (Kate Beckinsale), and you get the simple, cliche love story of how the soldier has to go off and fight while the woman just has to remain where she is and hope that he writes back to her indicating that he's still alive.

Rafe goes missing in action, and when Evelyn is told the terrible news, she later ends up becoming infatuated with Rafe's best friend, Danny.

This film is filled with some of the worst dialogue, considering that it is written by Randall Wallace (of 'Braveheart'), with such conversations including Rafe saying to Evelyn; "You're so beautiful, it hurts", then she says "It's your nose that hurts", and then he comes back with, "I think it's my heart". You'll be sure to throw up in the popcorn bucket.

The film doesn't do much justice to showcase the horrors of the attack on Pearl Harbor, there is a lack of suspense and disturbing imagery. It doesn't help that it's exactly what it is, a PG-13 war epic. It's trying to be 'Titanic' (1997) meets 'Saving Private Ryan' (1998), and you'd think that combination would make a great film, but instead, does the exact opposite.

Michael Bay only wanted to focus on the romance between three characters we really couldn't care for, instead of focusing on the attacks that shook millions of innocent people.

There are better war films, and there are better romance films... not sure these two are the right combination for an ideal film.
  78. Dec 24, 2015
    "Pearl Harbor" was a film inspired by a bloody war US against Japan, action scenes was outstanding , but it was too boring , and Michael Bay began to make the bear, to add romance although it was not a bad idea.
  79. Dec 11, 2015
    'War", as someone once trilled, "what is it good for?" Well, bloody huge summer blockbusters, apparently. At least, that's what scourge of the arthouse crowd and best bud of the multiplex mob, Jerry Bruckheimer, was betting when he decided to plough $135 million of Disney's money into Pearl Harbor.

A risky proposition when you realise that it's not only a story about the invincible American military being caught with its pants down but has a cast, that while not by any means likely to turn up on Lily Savage's Blankety Blank in a hurry, are certainly no guarantee of financial success. The question, then, is, have Bruckheimer and his buddy Michael Bay (Armageddon) pulled it off?

The answer is that, as usual, the Bruckheimer brand has delivered an almost dead-cert hit. Whilst a bit on the anorexic side in the dramatic weight department, it's a natural born blockbuster that amply excuses its slightly soggy beginning and cut and shunt end with a centre-piece attack sequence that ratchets the action bar up dozens of notches and represents the final coming of age of CGI. Quite simply, you have never seen anything like it.

Story-wise best pal flying aces Affleck and Hartnett row over the affections of Kate Beckinsale, after she accidentally shags the latter when the former is supposed to have been shot down over Europe. It's a slightly soapy plot-line, not aided by Bay's determination to shoot everything by what appears to be a permanent sunset (and a pleasing sense of humour from Affleck vanishes far too quickly).

Bay's pre-war America looks like it emerged from a beer ad - little boys fly soapbox Sopwiths, while real-life biplanes zoom over amber waves of grain. But it's the bombing itself that was always what this movie was going to live and die on, and here Bay really delivers, from an astonishing first 'bomb's eye view' shot that sees the camera follow a falling munition through the decks of the USS Arizona. Then comes the perfectly timed detonation, using fantastically detailed long shots of hundreds of Japanese Zeroes buzzing around the exploding fleet.

It's an amazing, visceral experience. ILM's CGI is, for the first time, indistinguishable from reality. Torpedoes hiss under the thrashing feet of drowning soldiers, men are blown through upturned ship's propellers towards the camera, and fighters plough into each other. It's an astounding, nerve-shredding experience that leaves the mealy-mouthed whinings about flat-packed characterisation bobbing in the wreckage.

As long as you're not expecting Dostoevsky in the drama department, it's a thoroughly well-built dramatic actioner with awesome CGI and a surprising structure which delivers the bit you know about in the middle, leaving an ending with at least a little surprise.
  80. Feb 4, 2016
    A movie about Pearl Harbor would've been cool.... if Michael Bay didn't direct it. The point is... the concept looks brilliant. Why do we need Michael Bay to direct it again?
  81. Jan 4, 2016
    From a producer/director duo famed for commercial movies comes a spectacular flag-waver that's as fun as it is empty. It's history as a McDonalds' Happy Meal - - well-packaged, bland yet satisfying, filling without being worthwhile and crammed with pounds of processed American cheese.

From the pointless characters-as-kids preamble to the repugnant My Heart Will Go On-style end-credits warble, director Michael Bay infuses the movie with his trademark kinetic ferocity. Which, for a romantic historical epic, is only fitfully suitable. Even though it's a three-hour movie, Bay gives you little cause to complain about slow sections - - Rafe's romance with Evelyn, for example, blasts from meeting to tearful farewells in a pleasing flurry of iconic `40s set-pieces. But by avoiding boredom, Pearl Harbor has no time to inject any warmth, or to characterise any of the characters. The only workable relationship, for example, is Danny and Rafe's, while Evelyn is merely a cipher in scarlet lipstick.

Surprisingly, this dynamic approach works badly where you'd think it'd be a bonus - - during the main attack. For, while the Battle Of Britain scenes seamlessly combine live footage with CGI planes and tracer fire to masterfully create the violence of mechanised death, the actual Pearl Harbour bombing is soulless - - a dazzling 45-minute effects showcase. But every time you want to linger on a sky full of planes or a battleship rolling over, Bay's restless camera cuts away.

Yet considering it's an American World War Two movie, the Japanese get plenty of screen time to establish themselves as humans. In the thrilling build-up to the attack, for example, subtitles are replaced by the voiceover of a young Japanese pilot writing to his parents. That leaves us Brits to take the real cultural hammering, coming across as defeatists who thank God that the Yank Eagle Squadron has come to fight our fight. Which, for a unit who actually shot down 73 German planes at a loss of 77 American, is nothing less than cheeky.

Yet all these are minor quibbles compared to the final pointless hour, which exists merely to end on a small American propaganda victory rather than a major military ass-whupping. This reprisal raid on Tokyo doesn't just ruin the movie's flow, it's a different film in its own right. That Pearl Harbor doesn't stop at the natural ending of President Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech can only be explained by America's deification of winners. But then again, what else would you expect from Bruckheimer and Bay?

A relatively comfortable trip with no surprises to interrupt your enjoyment, Pearl Harbor is also like every war movie made during the last 60 years - - but with effects that were inconceivable even a year ago. Watch, enjoy, and then forget about it entirely.
  82. Mar 24, 2016
    While I was hoping this would honor American history, this wasn't very honourable, it was just a excuse for a dumb love story. At least they still got the battle done right, as that is Michael bay's specialty.
  83. Jun 5, 2016
    Mediocre acting, rubbish directing and explosion after explosion after explosion...

but do you really expect to see anything else in a Michael Bay film?

It's a Ritalin-deprived sensibility, but it keeps you skating over the dull spots, in which the film unfortunately is rich.
  2. Fiction and fantasy to evade reflection on the world we actually live in.
  3. If you decide to hit the concessions stand (where you're bound to have lots of company), I'd suggest going out for popcorn during either the first hour or the third, because the second features some pretty good big-screen effects involving planes, ships, and explosions.