Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: August 7, 2013
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 214 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ari3449Jun 11, 2014
I really enjoy the Percy Jackson movies. It definitely makes me want to start reading the books. It may not have the most intricate story lines or best movie effects, but it is fun to see the different gods and creatures from Greek mythologyI really enjoy the Percy Jackson movies. It definitely makes me want to start reading the books. It may not have the most intricate story lines or best movie effects, but it is fun to see the different gods and creatures from Greek mythology living in our modern world. It is a really interesting and good adventure movie. Expand
Patricier21Aug 11, 2013
Sea of Monsters shows what potential the franchise should have should it continue. It clearly demonstrates how a book adaptation should be: making it its own thing, while staying loyal to the overall plot of the original story, andSea of Monsters shows what potential the franchise should have should it continue. It clearly demonstrates how a book adaptation should be: making it its own thing, while staying loyal to the overall plot of the original story, and maintaining continuity with the original film. Although some direction was better in the first film, overall this film feels more satisfying as an adaptation and feels better as a solid movie overall.

You do not have to see the first film in order to understand this one. Right from the opening scene, through a very clever back story prologue, and voice over from Percy, we get a sense of what is going on in this world and are fully immersed. Percy, played by Logan Lerman, delivers the narration as if he’s telling us a legend, and one cannot help but feel immersed in the goings on. The opening story is intense, but is not too dark compared to how other films such as The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian would have handled it. On that note, the whole film is very family friendly and plays as a light fantasy adventure, that nevertheless has its deep morals integrated in. Using the Prince Caspian example, this film does not go as dark or as intense as that film went, yet it also does not go the opposite way in making it campy. With that being said, there are some weaknesses in the direction of the film. While it does not go down the Batman & Robin campy road, the action of the film feels a little too tame at some parts. It’s still enjoyable, but unfortunately, it just doesn’t feel completely executed to the point that it should be. Its nowhere near bad, but it still could have been better. The action is still fun to watch, but it never gets bloody or as intense as it even was in the first film. It plays out as a fun, clean fantasy, that despite the lack of brutalness, it still feels like one could immerse into doing those things should they be real.

With regards to continuity from the first film, you will see a much more expanded Camp Half Blood in the film, the home of the main characters, however unlike the Harry Potter films, it doesn’t feel or look as noticeably different. The film feels like a sequel and does make the references to the first film, but still feels like it can stand on its own. While fixing up some cut characters and elements from the first film, the film also introduces the goings on at a natural pace without trying to lamely cover things up and consider earlier introduced things as retcon, which is more than can be said about Harry Potter, which merely puts things in its films without (for the most part) making any sort of real continuity or grounded connection with the other films, choosing instead to make each film stand on its own. Sea of Monsters has both a sequel and stand alone feel to it, which is how films should be. Why should sequels ignore what was previously established in the earlier films? The Harry Potters changed pretty much everything to fit the needs of the story without for the most part thinking of new ways to handle the story elements, in trying to maintain the books justice. While on the note of Harry Potter, one simply cannot compare it to any of the Harry Potters. Yes, there are similarities, but, being the huge Potter fan that I am, I barely thought of Harry while watching this movie. There will always be similarities and comparisons, but is not every movie comparable to another? Even some that people would not even think were similar such as the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy being comparable to the original Star Wars trilogy. And let us not forget the Avatar/Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves or the Iron Man/Dark Knight trilogies similarities. They will always exist, but there will always be one person who has NEVER seen the first film to have the idea, and even some who have seen both ideas and may like the newer one that has the old ideas better because of how it is executed. Its NOT what it is, but HOW it is.

HOW the movie “fixes” the first film is in the following ways:

- A much more grounded and more better polished script. The first film felt that the script was rushed in and was hopeful to be more than its script. The structure and plot was thin and weak, and didn’t feel as immersed as this film does. This film feels like they really revised and mapped out what they wanted from the script instead of just seemingly writing the script over night without revisions. You get the sense that the film makers are passionate to get the writing right and make it make sense and enjoyable for those that haven’t even seen the first film.
- Percy’s friend Grover (played by Brandon T. Jackson), is not annoying in this film like he was in the first film. This time he is more mature, yet still retains his comic characteristics.
- The world is populated with many characters. Unlike the first, where there were merely just cameoized characters, and small things hidden in the real this one feels more like there actually is a hidden universe.
AVTRlover41Aug 8, 2013
Seen in 2D. I actually enjoyed this a lot more than the reviews give it credit for. I thought that it was better than the first. Yeah, it wasn't nearly as good as the book was, that rarely ever happens, but I still had a great time with it. ISeen in 2D. I actually enjoyed this a lot more than the reviews give it credit for. I thought that it was better than the first. Yeah, it wasn't nearly as good as the book was, that rarely ever happens, but I still had a great time with it. I must say that they shortened the part in the Sea of Monsters too much, taking out two great scenes from the book and adding a scene that wasn't as fun to replace them. Still, this was a good time, and was worth the money for me. Expand
gabecamposAug 9, 2013
I can say that was a good job. I like the way that history was showed, i liked everything about, even with the Fall Out Boy's song that starts playing in the movie showing that the soundtrack was gorgeous. About the critics, I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT.
PixcelationAug 10, 2013
This review was originally posted on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

This review was originally posted on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

…Don’t give me that look. Let me begin by telling you a story: my cousin once came to visit me and his brother, back when we were in college for a weekend. Being freshman, we were risk takers and didn’t always have the best of judgment. So one night, while some of us were out partying, the rest of us decided to go to the local cinema. Several apparently wanted to see a movie called “Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.” Many of us had never heard of said movie but we didn’t really have any other plans so off to the theaters it was in the world’s most uncomfortable car ride ever (only one of us had a car. It was a small sports car. There were six of us.) While the movie was nothing exceptional in the slightest, the majority of us did enjoy it. Well, said cousin came to visit me this weekend and when the two of us decided to see a movie, we noticed that the premiere of “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” was tonight and decided to give it a shot. Now, let the record show, I went in with zero hopes and expectations for the movie, and in that way, the new Percy Jackson didn’t disappoint.

The story follows the events of Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon. This time around, he and his team of half-bloods (sons and daughters of the different Gods of Greek mythology) must uncover the Golden Fleece in order to thwart the sinister attempt of Luke, the half-blood son of Hermes, from reviving the titan Kronos which would lead to the death of the Gods and the rest of world. The plot itself is nothing spectacular. My cousin and I joked that for the first one, we both had the entire plot predicted within the first forty-five minutes. That being said, if you are a fan of Greek mythology (which means you’re part of the target audience) then it’s easy to predict because you know the mythos. What’s more, you shouldn’t really care because you’ll be enjoying catching all the references.

The acting….well, it’s also exactly what you’d expect. Most of the actors try but none seem to give a memorable performance in the slightest. Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson) and Jake Abel (Luke) in particular seem to give a rather exhausted effort. It’s as if they’re both chronic insomniacs who don’t seem to have much energy to give in their scenes.

The special effects are pretty good. Most of the creatures look nice and while I didn’t see it in 3D, I could see it being the kind of movie that works well in the extra dimension.

The directing is a surprise in that it’s actually fairly good. Not award-winning material mind you but it’s still nice and at times clever. Oddly enough, it might be one of the movie’s better qualities. Thus, this aids the action set-pieces which are also not half-bad either, which in turn is aided by the good CG.

One thing that was of minor annoyance was the ending. I won’t spoil it but I will say that it leaves something major unanswered in an obvious attempt at another sequel.

“Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” is by no means a terrific flick, but I wouldn’t’ say it’s a bad one either. It’s one of those movies where most everything is good enough to the point where they all work together to make for an entertaining experience, even if it’s nothing substantial under further analysis. Sure more time could been spent developing the characters, yeah the plot could been expounded upon, but the movie never set out to be like that, and not every movie deserves to be the next Oscar nominee or cult classic. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyed and ultimately, that’s the kind of feeling I got from it. If you liked the first one then you’ll probably like this one, and if it doesn’t sound like your thing, then don’t bother.

“Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” gets a 7/10
GimeSep 10, 2013
un peliculón para disfrutar.. los actores representan bien todo,, a pesar de algunos cambios con respecto al libro,, se puede apreciar toda la atmósfera que se tiene que tener... yo la vería mas de una vez mas si te gustan las pelis deun peliculón para disfrutar.. los actores representan bien todo,, a pesar de algunos cambios con respecto al libro,, se puede apreciar toda la atmósfera que se tiene que tener... yo la vería mas de una vez mas si te gustan las pelis de fantasía acción. Expand
gabrielgAug 9, 2013
I can easily give a 10 beacuse it's BETTER than the first in so many ways that i can't explain in 5000 characters. It's very nice, fun. It's a good movie for the summer.
rylandAug 9, 2013
Haters gonna hate and the demigods (the percy jackson fans) and the normal people will like. I don't care about the critics because, the normal people will like so badly.
rylanddieAug 9, 2013
I have admit that the plot was great for a kid with greek mythology movie. Doesn't have hard explications, doesn't have anything that makes me sad or makes me hate the movie. I think that was made in the right point.
StriderKiwiAug 7, 2013
Good cinematography. Action is alright. The fights are good but not great. Plot is meh. Pretty predictable. The acting is bleh. Mainly whether or not you'll like it will depend on your thoughts on the first one. I liked the first but I didn'tGood cinematography. Action is alright. The fights are good but not great. Plot is meh. Pretty predictable. The acting is bleh. Mainly whether or not you'll like it will depend on your thoughts on the first one. I liked the first but I didn't think it was spectacular, and my feelings are similar for this one, so I'd suspect if you did like it you too would like this one. Granted, if you didn't like the first I see no reason why this one would be your pick. Expand
Aquaris475Aug 8, 2013
I had posted a more positive review before this, but now that my excitement has worn off i'm starting to notice a few more problems with this movie, even though I think it's a very good movie. This movie took what made the first movie good:I had posted a more positive review before this, but now that my excitement has worn off i'm starting to notice a few more problems with this movie, even though I think it's a very good movie. This movie took what made the first movie good: the supporting cast and writing. The writing is pretty good in this movie, though the dialogue may not be the best, but it has jokes and humor that thankfully remind fans that this is Percy Jackson's type of humor. The supporting cast NAILS it as their characters; Mr. D, Hermes, The grey sisters, the supporting cast cameos manage to do so well in their roles. When it comes to an adaptation of a book, I think a movie can do well with it as long as it takes the basis plot, setting, and characters. This film manages to stay true to the book better than the first film, even if it isn't spot-on, though I feel that a few book elements are done a bit too early. if you've read the books, you'll notice what i'm talking about. i'm also glad that the director manages to stay true to the book a lot more, while also tying things with the first movie so that moviegoers who haven't read the book can still catch on. Considering the first film's bad accuracy, that's pretty hard to accomplish, and i'm glad the director managed to do it. My problems, however, are mainly two things; cgi and a certain plothole. The cgi, while colorful, isn't the best. It's very bland to me, but there has been better and worse cgi. Something I didn't understand is how exactly Luke, the main villain, managed to escape what happened at the end of the lightning thief. if there was an explanation, it didn't go into very good detail, unless I missed something. A noticeable issue i noticed after my excitement wore down is the acting and character development. The characters in the movie have little to no development, and each one is taken a bit as wooden. The acting, while okay, is a bit worse than the last film. I feel that the actors were trying to nail their characters in this movie, but just weren't there yet, if that makes sense. Finally, I feel that there were missed opportunities with fighting sequences. The bull fight was very well done, as was the fight on The Andromeda, but some I don't think utilized what it could do in the movie. for example, I feel that the fight against Charybdis could have been pulled off better, as with the fight against Polyphemus. Overall, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters surprisingly lives up to my expectations. The writing and the supporting cast are much better this time, the accuracy towards the book is nice, even though a few things are done a bit too early, and even though the cgi and acting isn't the best, Percy Jackson is a great movie, one of 2013's best films in my opinion. If you liked the first film, you'll most likely like the second. if you didn't really liked the first film, this one may or may not be good to you, depending on your movie preferences. In the end, this is a rare case of a sequel doing better than its predecessor, and if the Titan's Curse movie does well, my faith in this film series will be restored. Expand
ProteusAug 7, 2013
A poor mans Harry Potter. The movie is all around pretty good and the critics, as usual, should be ignored. Take Harry P. and knock the quality down a notch in everything and you get this movie. Still, that is a high bar and if you like andA poor mans Harry Potter. The movie is all around pretty good and the critics, as usual, should be ignored. Take Harry P. and knock the quality down a notch in everything and you get this movie. Still, that is a high bar and if you like and understand the whole Mt. Olympus god thing it all make sense and is a great 2 hours of entertainment for the whole family. Recommended. Expand
jeff_reviewsAug 20, 2013
"Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" may feel awfully deprived at times, but despite this, the action and characters are definitely enjoyable to watch. Being a avid reader and interested in the books, the film was definitely suited for me (as"Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" may feel awfully deprived at times, but despite this, the action and characters are definitely enjoyable to watch. Being a avid reader and interested in the books, the film was definitely suited for me (as were the Harry Potter film franchise). Despite finding numerous tweaks from the books, I really enjoyed the characters and the action packed sequences. With the CG sequences being very well done, and characters being being put into some depth (especially towards Percy and Annabeth's characters), "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" is an entertaining flick. Expand
MrEpic012Aug 19, 2013
Still A Harry Potter Ripoff in Many Ways It's Still A Decent Film For Kids, Teens, Adults And More, The Effects Were Amazing, The Characters Are OK, The Story Is Pretty Good
leonard0565656Aug 9, 2013
This movie isn't so faithful to book because of the 1st movie The Lightning Thief. I guess it would be good But OK, by itself the movie is good and i think the director made the POSSIBLE to make us proud There are defects as at lot of movies
MGConroyAug 14, 2013
I have never heard of the webzine Slant before, which could be why they.hate.everything. Seriously, this movie is not intended to be Citizen Kane. Lighten the eff up.
BL4D3MAG3Sep 27, 2013
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters surpassed my expectations. Quite often in a film series the film creators will test the boundaries in the second film and I think because the movie didn't seem to test the boundaries it kept true to the book andPercy Jackson: Sea of Monsters surpassed my expectations. Quite often in a film series the film creators will test the boundaries in the second film and I think because the movie didn't seem to test the boundaries it kept true to the book and as a result was just as good as the first movie.

This film is truer to the book series than the first film was, this is perhaps why many critics are giving it such a hard time having little to no knowledge of the source material and once again judging this as they would judge any random movie. I think perhaps adaptions should get a few bonus points or something when they stick closer to the source, the movie is aimed at fans and kids mainly I'm sure that if they were aiming at a wide audience they would have added a few random explosion scene which would have pleased the more ignorant critics.

Although the movie was truer to the books it did cut out a few of the more interesting pieces out, I was dismayed to find that they cut Tantalus and the chariot races from the movie as well as the sirens scene which I believe would have both added a lot to the movie.

Although the movie sticks closer to the books I felt that the transition from the first movie which was less true to the books caused some of the character development to be flawed. In the first film there was a stronger relationship between Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase however in this film it was explored to a lesser extent as a result of sticking closer to the books.

The acting just like the first movie was fantastic, the actors do a righteous portrayal of the characters especially that of the main characters. Surprisingly the minor characters are portrayed very well, far better than in the first movie and it makes the movie more engaging as a result. There was a nice addition in one particular scene with Nathan Fillion the renowned star of the cancelled television show Firefly who makes a reference to said show which really resonated with me a fan of that show.

Just like the first movie the fusion of ancient and modern elements added a sense of fun and adventure which was exacerbated by the journey to the sea of monsters fueling the excitement especially in younger audiences and those like myself who are young at heart. The addition of the Percy Jackson style of humour throughout the movie was alluring especially to fans of the books who were worried that the adaption would get rid of it completely.

Some have said that the CGI was poor, however I didn't once see any kind of slip up in the quality and there were no fatal missing pieces of scenery as I have sometimes seen in movies with higher budgets than this had. Much of the movie relies on CGI, the final battle scene especially and it is done flawlessly.

All in all Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters was just as good as the first movie and is especially aimed at the fans of the previous movie and book series. If you are a fan you must watch it, if you are of a younger audience or young at heart it certainly should be on your to do list. Quite a lot of the movie is setting the stage for the next movie which seems may be even better
TheQuietGamerMar 1, 2014
Still feeling very much like a greek-mythology Harry Potter, "Sea of Monsters" is a very fun movie. It doesn't pack the intelligence or maturity of the series it so closely resembles, and the special effects here are disappointing and dated,Still feeling very much like a greek-mythology Harry Potter, "Sea of Monsters" is a very fun movie. It doesn't pack the intelligence or maturity of the series it so closely resembles, and the special effects here are disappointing and dated, but overall it is a lot of fun. The plot is nice, the characters likable, and the action and humor entertaining. Overall if you enjoyed the first movie or the book series then I see no reason why you should not like this movie. For those of you who have never experienced "Percy Jackson," just think of it as a not as well written, but still very fun, Harry Potter inspired series. Expand
natasha88Jan 2, 2014
I really like the percy Jackson series so far. I do have to say it could use more thrill and on edge factors. It is easy to predict what is going to happen next. I would really like to see what the next one will bring.
GregPriceJan 29, 2014
Percy Jackson is unfairly compared to Harry Potter in both books and film. Frankly, PJ is the better written of the two franchises. Fewer plotholes and failures of story logic and more consistent characterization.

That said, it DOES

That said, it DOES somehow feel a little "short". It doesn't quite have the "oomph" to make it to the "blockbuster" category.
DanBurritoSep 10, 2015
Come on guys, this corrects almost ALL the mistakes made by the first one. It's closer to the story of the book, Kronos was awesome and the story was pretty good. Probably my second favourite movie of 2013 after Monsters University. If youCome on guys, this corrects almost ALL the mistakes made by the first one. It's closer to the story of the book, Kronos was awesome and the story was pretty good. Probably my second favourite movie of 2013 after Monsters University. If you like the books, watch this one. Expand
BlinkanddeadOct 30, 2015
Recommed this movie, special effects are so good for me and actors are successful. Its really funny. I think it should be move on but Demigods didin't want this.
gameguardian21Mar 20, 2016
This sequel is just as good as the first one. The characters are great, story might feel familiar but new. And while I have never read the book, this remains one of my favourite book to film adaptation. I dont get why the series is cancelled.This sequel is just as good as the first one. The characters are great, story might feel familiar but new. And while I have never read the book, this remains one of my favourite book to film adaptation. I dont get why the series is cancelled. It left me with a cliffhanger. Expand