6.3

1. Feb 5, 2016
    If you're going to ARR us with another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, at least try to put effort and don't laze around and rush during the final moments.
  2. May 21, 2011
    The plot revolves around the Fountain of Youth, two other pirate captains and Penelope Cruz. Their quest involves mean mermaids, mediocre fights and grand escapes, but nothing especially inventive or delightful ever occurs. While hardcore fans may accept the comfort of familiarity, I found it plodding and uninspired.
    NOTE: Stay thru the credits for a final gag.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    Captain Jack is back, and better than ever. This movie really feels fresh and goes back to the roots of the first one in a combination of pure moviemaking heaven. Everything down to Sparrow's beard seems to be new and exciting in Pirates numero cuatro.
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    Not the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but still not a good movie. This series started off strong with The Curse of the Black Pearl, but after two awful sequels I lost interest in the series. I went into this movie with an open mind because it looked like a good way to reboot the series. Unfortunately despite it's new cast and plot the movie failed. Johnny Depp is back as CaptainNot the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but still not a good movie. This series started off strong with The Curse of the Black Pearl, but after two awful sequels I lost interest in the series. I went into this movie with an open mind because it looked like a good way to reboot the series. Unfortunately despite it's new cast and plot the movie failed. Johnny Depp is back as Captain Jack Sparrow, one of his most famous roles, and gives a good and goofy performance. However outside of his performance and a some funny moments the movie is dull. The plot is uninteresting and the action is dull and lifeless. There's also a lot of predictability. Rather than being a fresh new start to the Pirates of the Caribbean series it ends up being another poor entry in a series that failed as soon as the first sequel was released. Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    Welcome back Pirates. Though not as good as the orignal with all new characters there is finally some life back in this franchise. Clever, witty and funnier everything comes together to make for a solid film.
  6. Jun 7, 2012
    I liked the first movie a lot but I absolutely hated the last two films so despite my better judgement, I decided to give this film a chance considering the removal of Bloom and Knightley, who imo were terrible in the first three films, and that I had already watched the previous 3 films.

I was rather suprised that I not only enjoyed watching this movie but I actually liked it. It brought back the fun and adventure that the first film had and imo is the second best film in the series. I suprisingly can't wait to see a sequel for this. Definently worth giving a chance, Especially if you watch any of the other Pirates films.
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    The plot is rather dreary and the writers do all they can to overload it. In all honesty, this last Pirates was the equivalent of stuffing a plane full of pirate cliches, and though it fails to finish its flight, it's fun trying to land it.
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    Definitely not one of the better ones of the franchise, but it still brings a good quality of entertainment. It is a fun watch with a new tale to tell. Jack Sparrow will always keep these movies lively.
  9. May 24, 2011
    MUCH better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the first movie, but the second one was interminably boring. Penelope Cruz is terrific, and the young couple (the mermaid and the sailor) brings a nice touch to the otherwise flippant proceedings. Doesn't hold a candle to the other big summer blockbusters (Fast 5, etc.)
  10. May 11, 2012
    The story had some flashy moments along with the visuals, but it really does get out of hand. This sequel is a little fun, but somewhat unecessesary.
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    Without most of the original cast, 'Stranger Tides' is a disappointment, no matter how funny Johnny Depp is as the bumbling yet charismatic Sparrow. It rewrites history with Blackbeard included, and I found Penelope Cruz an annoying It'll still make money, though how much remains a question.
  12. May 21, 2011
    When I first heard tat they were making this movie I could not believe it. The series was done. They wrapped it up with At Worldâ
  13. Dec 21, 2011
    AS always as the main story of Pirates of the Caribbean gets stronger the worse it is told. Penelope Cruz spices it up with Johnny Depp almost enough to get through but since it has less action and humor it loses me. I give this movie 57%.
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    Much better than I was expecting. I was completely entertained through the entire film. The 2nd best of the saga despite having very little to do with the first 3.
  15. Jun 30, 2013
    Much like the characters in the film going after the Fountain of Youth, the fourth instalment of the Pirates franchise is attempting to recapture its youth, and while cleaning up the cast by saying goodbye to the likes of Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley and most of the supporting cast, which were welcome changes, a confusing and loose script along with a story that simply doesn’t match upMuch like the characters in the film going after the Fountain of Youth, the fourth instalment of the Pirates franchise is attempting to recapture its youth, and while cleaning up the cast by saying goodbye to the likes of Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley and most of the supporting cast, which were welcome changes, a confusing and loose script along with a story that simply doesn’t match up to the series previous heights and leaves a lot to be sought after when the credits roll.
    The performances are admittedly as strong as ever, but getting rid of many faces should not mean replacing them with a hoard of new ones, ones that are underused and irrelevant to the story. Johnny Depp makes a welcome yet restrained return as Captain Jack Sparrow, the timid nature that doesn’t hit the hysterical and utter weirdness in previous films is no fault of Depp’s, but the writing, which trades in wit and cunning piracy for set pieces galore and 3-D opportunities.
    Again, many people are heading to find the Fountain of Youth for very different reasons, Geoffrey Rush returning as a one-legged Barbosa is not a privateer and is out for revenge, while Jack is placed aboard the ship of the legendary Captain Blackbeard, but I felt that Ian McShane’s portrayal of this historical figure was too quiet and, well, normal. The inclusion of his daughter Angelica (Penelope Cruz) is the necessary femme fatale for a franchise like this, but she is surprisingly fresh and her scenes with Captain Jack are not wasted. As is expected of the franchise, the visuals are wonderful, but not properly balanced with the story, there isn’t much reason for them to be there.
    Unfortunately, there is simply isn’t enough depth to the film to see is as nothing more than either a tired franchise or one running out of original ideas, this review is being done after a second viewing, my first showing was a very different experience, I was simply glad to see a nice change of pace, but as a fourth instalment, it has lost its steam, its all about the explosive atmosphere that apparently needs to come along with it, a dumbed down and timid experience that seems to simply have been traded off to the highest bidder.
  16. May 30, 2011
    I had high hopes for On Stranger Tides when I heard that it was intended to be far less bogged down by numerous ludicrous subplots than its predecessors. Unfortunately, this abandonment of over-complex narrative results in you actually being able to follow what is going on. I say unfortunately because now that you can understand the POTC world, you realise how ridiculous a series it is.I had high hopes for On Stranger Tides when I heard that it was intended to be far less bogged down by numerous ludicrous subplots than its predecessors. Unfortunately, this abandonment of over-complex narrative results in you actually being able to follow what is going on. I say unfortunately because now that you can understand the POTC world, you realise how ridiculous a series it is. Cap'n Jack is once again on a quest, but what this quest entails hardly matters when every scene is specifically tailored for Johnny Depp to show off. I never thought I'd tire of Captain Sparrow, but I think I finally have. It's not all bad though - there are some nice one-liners, the mermaids are impressive and Ian McShane is a real scene-stealer as the diabolical Blackbeard. Expand
  17. Feb 3, 2014
    A less satisfied movie in comparison to the previous movies of this sequel, but overall is it watchable.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides got a great beginning, and the actors are awesome, and the story is good, but it's a little lengthy at some places, and it wasn't that much new and unique things in this movie. The film is at many scenes slow and lengthy, and the tempo wasn't that high, which made it a little boring.
    The ending thought, was wonderful, and the movie is spectacular when it comes to the quality.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides gets a 7/10
  18. Jun 1, 2011
    I really enjoyed the first Pirate movie, didn't like the 2nd one so much, and HATED the third one that was so convoluted and hard to follow. My friend talked me into going to this one even though I swore I would never go to another after the last one. As it turns out, this is the second best of the series so far. Ian McShane makes a great Blackbeard & Geoffrey Rush is always fantasticI really enjoyed the first Pirate movie, didn't like the 2nd one so much, and HATED the third one that was so convoluted and hard to follow. My friend talked me into going to this one even though I swore I would never go to another after the last one. As it turns out, this is the second best of the series so far. Ian McShane makes a great Blackbeard & Geoffrey Rush is always fantastic (and is featured a lot thankfully). The Penelope Cruz character wasn't necessary for a Pirate movie but you always have to have a love interest in a Hollywood film I guess. I liked the mermaid sequence and the story about searching for the fountain of youth. Not a great film but definitely a step in the right direction. The 3D was good but not great. Given the choice I would always choose the standard 2D but my friend is a fan of 3D and IMAX so we saw it in 3D. There was a sequence at the end that confused me involving how people arrived at the fountain - some people just seemed to show up without using the same method as the pirates. Maybe I missed something. Expand
  19. Oct 16, 2013
    To be honest I did think this iteration of the Pirates franchise was rather fun. It wasn't good, but it was fun to watch.

Stranger Tides on the whole feels more like The adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, than Pirates of the Caribbean. The movie seems to focus on him for almost the whole movie. At least the first three movie had diverse story arcs (even if a little messy) but Pirates 4 is really just one story, with a few side stories that really aren't expanded on enough to be worthy of note.

Acting is more or less what you can expect, although I did find Depp was perhaps laying on the "Jack Sparrowness" on a little thick at times.

Effects were mostly decent, but a real step down from the last 2 movies. I figure they were trying not to overwhelm the audience and hide a bad movie with gimmicky effects. My hats off for the attempt, but regardless it's still a lazy plot that offers very little new. On the other hand the only really new-ish element Ian McShane was fantastic as Blackbeard, a real shame his character was dumbed down so much

Overall:
    On Stranger Tides is an entertaining movie, but not a good one. It offers little new. Recycled tropes and gags from the previous movies and over uses Jack Sparrow far too much, giving little attention to the other characters.

Jack Sparrow is like Rum. Too much on its own and you'll get sick, but if served in moderation and it'll leave you feeling warm and happy.
  20. Aug 25, 2011
    I am drawn to Jack Sparrow stories like sailors are drawn to mermaids... The franchise brings out the same kind of feelings I felt when going to the movies as a kid. Penelope is a good addition to the team, however I did miss the chemistry between Sparrow and Will Turner.
  21. Nov 5, 2013
    I didn't expect there to be a fourth film after the epic third. "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" was supposedly made to bring a fresh life to the franchise. Sadly, it does not achieve that. It does not have those creepy-crawly effects that made the first three so exciting.
  22. Jan 23, 2013
    In my opinion, is the second best in the series. Entertaining and fun to the end.
  23. Dec 21, 2015
    Even though, this is my least favorite one in the series, i highly recommend it to all of you, even you haven't watched the original trilogy! My score is a high 7/10
  24. Apr 4, 2016
    It is fitting that what passes for a plot in “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” involves a search for the fountain of youth. This film, the fourth in a series that made its improbable and profitable leap from the theme park to the multiplex eight summers ago, represents an attempt to rejuvenate a flagging franchise.

Whether the effort was absolutely necessary is both an

Whether the effort was absolutely necessary is both an obvious and a naïve question. Why would the Walt Disney Company, which distributes these movies, and Jerry Bruckheimer, who produces them, ever want to leave well enough alone? In Hollywood, gratuitous excess — not necessity — is the mother of invention.

Not that “On Stranger Tides” is especially inventive. Gore Verbinski, who directed the first three installments with wanton energy, rococo visual flair and a flagrant disregard for narrative coherence, has been replaced by Rob Marshall, who specializes in turning well-loved pieces of popular art (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Nine“) into tedious, literal-minded prestige movies. So while this picture is called “On Stranger Tides,” it is by far the least strange of all the “Pirates” episodes so far, with none of the cartoonish exuberance or creepy-crawly effects that made its predecessors intermittently delightful.

Mr. Verbinski, whose sensibility owes more to the naughty, anarchic Warner Brothers and MGM cartoons of the 1940s and ’50s than to the Disney tradition, made a successful transition to full-blown animation with “Rango,” which featured Johnny Depp as a lizard out of water. Mr. Depp, returning as Jack Sparrow in “Tides,” is very much in his aqueous, mischievous element, and he shows admirable professionalism in a project that often seems more like a rock-band reunion tour than a blockbuster movie sequel.

A lot of the original cast members and special guest stars have fallen away — Keith Richards shows up for a minute or two, less thrillingly than the last time — but the guys up front are still in good shape, and a few more old-timers have been recruited from elsewhere to add their seasoned chops.

Richard Griffiths has a fleshy, wiggy cameo as King George, and Judi Dench appears briefly as a lady in a carriage, but the movie belongs to the power trio of Mr. Depp, Geoffrey Rush (as his sometime nemesis Barbossa) and Ian McShane, who brings a floridly sinister death-metal-meets-“Deadwood” vibe to the role of Blackbeard.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom are hardly missed, as the filmmakers — Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are the credited screenwriters — wisely turn the movie over to the gamy supporting players. There are a pair of young people in love, one of them a missionary (Sam Claflin), the other a mermaid (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey), but their wooing is incidental to the mugging and bellowing and occasional swordplay among Sparrow, Blackbeard and Barbossa. It’s almost as if a “Harry Potter” movie had dispensed with Harry, Ron and Hermione and devoted itself to documenting a meeting of the Hogwarts faculty.

But the name Jerry Bruckheimer in the opening titles mean that things must explode — a huge tank of whale oil, most memorably — and that there must be chases, crashes and leaps through the air. With an early exception involving a cream puff and a chandelier, these action sequences are handled more as instances of duty than occasions for play.

And I almost forgot to mention the 3-D, for good and bad reasons. The good one is that the format is mostly unobtrusive: you barely notice it unless a sword is sticking out of the screen or Penélope Cruz is moving toward the camera. Ms. Cruz, who starred with Mr. Depp in “Blow“ about 10 years ago, plays a former and possibly future flame of Jack Sparrow’s named Angelica, who may or may not be Blackbeard’s long-lost daughter.

“On Stranger Tides” never lives up to — or, for that matter, does anything to deserve — the recent parody tribute offered by Michael Bolton in a “Saturday Night Live” digital short, which emphasizes exactly the insouciant pop spirit that has slowly drained out of the “Pirates” juggernaut from one film to the next. It lives on in a few bon mots, and in a spooky, sexy sequence involving mermaids, whose pert, smooth tails are the only memorable piscine digital innovations on display here.

But like “Thor“ — which is, all in all, not quite as boring — “On Stranger Tides” is protected from the consequences of its own mediocrity by the mere fact that it is opening in thousands of theaters on Friday. People will go, and more energy will be expended parsing the box-office returns than discussing the merits of the film, which is likely to be judged entertaining enough and therefore, in the end, not much fun at all.
  25. Apr 23, 2015
    The fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie represents a perfect encapsulation of what the summer sequel tent-pole has become: a half-baked casserole of recycled elements from past installments of the franchise tossed together with lackluster action sequences (inspired by or designed for video games) and gratuitous special effects. The screenplay, credited to Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio, isThe fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie represents a perfect encapsulation of what the summer sequel tent-pole has become: a half-baked casserole of recycled elements from past installments of the franchise tossed together with lackluster action sequences (inspired by or designed for video games) and gratuitous special effects. The screenplay, credited to Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio, is little more than a clothesline from which to dangle all of the obligatory set pieces. This is one script that could have been assembled using a computer. Had that been the case, however, the result wouldn't have been as long-winded. The basic story is simple; it's something of a wonder how much endless exposition and tedious dialogue Elliott & Rossio cram into the film's bulging 137 minutes.

Reviewing On Stranger Tides as a movie has limited value. The production will not make about a billion dollars (worldwide) because it has the elements viewers value from cinema. It, like many summer blockbusters, is designed to deliver a momentary adrenaline jolt while providing audiences with a few familiar characters and elements. All that will be remembered upon exiting the theater is that there are now four (instead of three) episodes in the franchise. On Stranger Tides exists mid-way between a video game and an amusement park ride (in this case, the second part can be taken literally) and, for those who aren't looking for anything more, it will probably succeed. I suspect that will represent a large percentage of those who pay out their hard-earned cash to see it projected theatrically (in 3-D, IMAX 3-D, or good old-fashioned 2-D).

The existence of a fourth Pirates film was predicated upon the participation of Johnny Depp, whose interest was piqued by a paycheck with a lot of zeroes in front of the decimal point. No one will begrudge Depp the huge windfall; he has paid his dues, working for creative forces like Jim Jarmusch and Terry Gilliam. Still, it's a little disappointing that his contributions to On Stranger Tides are limited to the likeness and mannerisms of the campy and charismatic character he played on three previous occasions. Captain Jack might just as easily have been portrayed by an animated version of a Madame Tussauds waxwork dummy.

Rob Marshall's direction is competent and, from a technical standpoint, there's nothing wrong with the various action sequences aside from the lack of excitement. For all his faults, Gore Verbinski at least handled the action with panache. Those movies thrummed with derring-do. This one sinks. In many ways, On Stranger Tides reminds me of another fourth installment, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The level of disappointment is perhaps muted because the wait between Pirates sequels has only been four years while Spielberg/Lucas/Ford kept us waiting for two decades. Still, both movies are indications that the filmmakers should have stopped with a trilogy.

Is it necessary to say anything about the 3-D? Having seen On Stranger Tides in IMAX 3-D, I'm convinced that the less expensive, brighter, and more colorful 2-D is the way to go. The 3-D gave me a mild headache (the first time that has happened) with the action sequences notably suffering from blur. Also, since many of the scenes are dark, it may sometimes be useful to remove the glasses to figure out what's happening. Maybe darkness isn't a bad thing for a quasi-amusement park ride. After all, the lights are off for most of Space Mountain. The problem is, there's no sense of motion in On Stranger Tides.

As a movie, On Stranger Tides would have to be considered a failure. The story does not engage, the characters are stick figures, the action sequences are perfunctory, and the whole enterprise reeks of being a money-grab. Yet, when seen through the prism of what is often proffered as "summer entertainment," it's a relatively cheap way to numb the mind and dull the senses. With expectations properly adjusted, maybe this Pirates of the Caribbean won't make you feel like you've been forced to walk the plank.
  26. Sep 9, 2015
    I really enjoyed the first three and thought that a movie focusing just on Jack without will would be fine. Boy was I wrong. These movies need a character like Will alongside Jack as it turns out, and the villain? They just said, "Why don't we take Blackbeard and randomly give him unnecessary magical powers?". Furthermore they tried to create a new love story by literally ripping off TheI really enjoyed the first three and thought that a movie focusing just on Jack without will would be fine. Boy was I wrong. These movies need a character like Will alongside Jack as it turns out, and the villain? They just said, "Why don't we take Blackbeard and randomly give him unnecessary magical powers?". Furthermore they tried to create a new love story by literally ripping off The Little Mermaid. Hoping the next one is better. Expand
  27. May 21, 2011
    After reading what the critics had to say, then going to see the movie, I've come to the conclusion that critics and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies will never be compatible (sure, The Curse of the Black Pearl had a decent score of 63, but 63 isn't that high of a score, it's only 3 points away from being considered mixed/average). I loved the first three movies (and for the record, IAfter reading what the critics had to say, then going to see the movie, I've come to the conclusion that critics and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies will never be compatible (sure, The Curse of the Black Pearl had a decent score of 63, but 63 isn't that high of a score, it's only 3 points away from being considered mixed/average). I loved the first three movies (and for the record, I actually didn't think the plot for the 2nd and 3rd movies was convoluted at all). The reason I love the Pirates movies is because of all the great performances, specifically Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow (who is my favorite Disney character by the way). In this movie, I got what I specifically wanted, more, more, and more Captain Jack Sparrow. Of course, other terrific performances by Penolope Cruz, Ian McShane, and Geoffrey Rush shouldn't be overlooked as well. Overall, I was very satisfied with the standalone format of the movie that resembles James Bond movies, and I really hope this will be the default format for future Pirate movies. In conclusion, I really enjoyed this movie as the last three. Everything, from the music to the scenery, it felt like the typical Pirates of the Caribbean movie I've always loved. Keep up the good work guys, and I can't wait for Captain Jack Sparrow's next adventure! Expand
  28. Jun 18, 2011
    Disney stop the madness. This movies themes are all out of wack and the plot or lack of it was fairly flat. The acting of Penelope Cruz deserves her a raspberry however Mr Sparrows acting and witty lines does help keep the movie afloat
  29. Jun 1, 2011
    This new installment to Pirates was ok,its at the bottom of my list in the Pirates series. They all seem to be going downhill, the first was superb, the second was pretty good, the 3rd was decent and this new installent is ok. Captain Jack Sparrow is back at what he does best, except it gets old throughout this film, the first 3 were better in that their were others stories involved, notThis new installment to Pirates was ok,its at the bottom of my list in the Pirates series. They all seem to be going downhill, the first was superb, the second was pretty good, the 3rd was decent and this new installent is ok. Captain Jack Sparrow is back at what he does best, except it gets old throughout this film, the first 3 were better in that their were others stories involved, not just Jack, I understand theirs the whole Blackbeard and his daughter sideplot but their was just way too much Sparrow. I actually fell asleep in this film about 4 times, and everytime i wokeup I'd look at my watch to see if it was almost over, it may have been the shortest in the series but it was also the longest because it just kinda dragged on, overall I give this a 5.5/10. Expand
  30. Sep 29, 2015
    Definitivamente, Rob Marshall não conseguiu resgatar a pegada de ação e aventura do Gore Verbinski,porém é um sólido Blockbuster longe de ser um dos melhores tanto que é a pior entrada na amada franquia "Pirates Of The Caribbean", porém Penélope Cruz acrescentou uma ótima personagem a franquia com uma ótima performance da morena gostosa Penélope Cruz, tanto que Angélica é melhor personagemDefinitivamente, Rob Marshall não conseguiu resgatar a pegada de ação e aventura do Gore Verbinski,porém é um sólido Blockbuster longe de ser um dos melhores tanto que é a pior entrada na amada franquia "Pirates Of The Caribbean", porém Penélope Cruz acrescentou uma ótima personagem a franquia com uma ótima performance da morena gostosa Penélope Cruz, tanto que Angélica é melhor personagem que Elizabeth Swann, e é claro que Johnny Depp & Geoffrey Rush sempre estão perfeitos nos inesquecíveis papéis Cap. Jack Sparrow e Cap. Hector Barbossa respectivamente. Faltou mais e melhores cenas de ação neste, o que é um pecado se o filme é de aventura, porém tem 2 ou 3 boas cenas de ação. É um bom e sólido Blockbuster porém no 5th Dead Men Tell No Tales terão de melhorar muito na "aventura de ação" Expand
  31. Aug 28, 2011
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides " undoubtedly an enjoyable film . But it failed to pass the last films . With a weak and less funny script then the last films this one actually is in number 4 ! Action sequence was great . new cast Pen Cruz was charming but Blackbeard (Ian) seems a bit low ! And really missed the regular cast of the fast three films most of all Knightly & Bloom"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides " undoubtedly an enjoyable film . But it failed to pass the last films . With a weak and less funny script then the last films this one actually is in number 4 ! Action sequence was great . new cast Pen Cruz was charming but Blackbeard (Ian) seems a bit low ! And really missed the regular cast of the fast three films most of all Knightly & Bloom . hope they will be back for the next film ,actually the have to other then that who knows what gonna happen to the 5th film .Barbossa (Rush) was the only one who seems more funner in this film . as for Depp theirs nothing to say because he is The Legendary Captain Jack Sparrow . Story : 1.1/2 [Weak and less funny script ] Direction : 1.2/2 [Verbinski was so much better ] Acting : 1.6/2 [Awesome Depp,charming Pen,funny Rush but weak McShane] Sound :1.7/2 [Amazing just like the previous films ] Edit & Effect : 1.5/2 [Seems a very very little eye glowing ] OVERALL : 7.1/10â Expand
  32. Mar 24, 2016
    This is a great start to a new trilogy, and it also remains the best in the series. Jack sparrow is back and is better than ever. Plus we have a cast of new characters, who are mostly presented good. The story is understandable.
  33. May 22, 2011
    really it was a pretty funny movie, but abuse in parts of the script and went from the absurd on occasion, the cinemetografia very well, sound effects, soundtrack, special effects excellent.
  34. May 31, 2012
    Johnny Depp is back with the most iconic role of his career, Captain Jack Sparrow. It is time to fly the pirate flag again. Thiz time, he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth without two other main characters, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley). But do not worry, it does not mean that thiz sequel will be less fun than the previous trilogy. They sail atJohnny Depp is back with the most iconic role of his career, Captain Jack Sparrow. It is time to fly the pirate flag again. Thiz time, he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth without two other main characters, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley). But do not worry, it does not mean that thiz sequel will be less fun than the previous trilogy. They sail at almost full speed, the infamous pirates like Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and my favorite Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) are about to make a rousing new adventure. Thiz sequel is directed by Rob Marshall who is formerly known for his successful musicals like CHICAGO (2002) and NINE (2009). For the first half hour, Captain Jackâ Expand
  35. Feb 27, 2015
    Estuvo bien, de hecho, pasable; pero a comparación de sus antecesoras es muy floja, lo confirmo: es la mas floja de toda la saga. ¿Innecesaria? tal vez... pero bueno, Di$ney quiere ma$ dinero...
  36. Jun 1, 2016
    When Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack and he is unable to make the bad movie any better, you know you got a problem. The previous film sucked and this one was much worse. Stop with these movies, the franchise is dead.
  37. Aug 23, 2011
    Qu'il est bon de revoir Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow!!!! Mais ce n'est pas avec ce quatrième opus qu'on arrivera à revoir la flamboyance de La Malédiction du Black Pearl...Heureusement, on retrouve l'humour de la saga, de l'action, de bons personnages et acteurs (Penélope Cruz et Ian McShane) et un scénario bien plusQu'il est bon de revoir Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow!!!! Mais ce n'est pas avec ce quatrième opus qu'on arrivera à revoir la flamboyance de La Malédiction du Black Pearl...Heureusement, on retrouve l'humour de la saga, de l'action, de bons personnages et acteurs (Penélope Cruz et Ian McShane) et un scénario bien plus travaillé que pour les deux films précédents, sans oublier les effets numériques et l'excellent travail de Hans Zimmer pour la bande originale (comme toujours!). Néanmoins gâché par un côté trop burlesque, un manque de séquences spectaculaires et un manque d'explications sur certains détails, La Fontaine de Jouvence arrive tout de même à redonner du charme à la saga! Expand
  38. May 20, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is more less fun, but it's still not as good as the other trilogy. I still enjoy the fight scenes they were great and Jack Sparrow could be funny, The main point is that the story is nothing much that great, it doesn't explain about the mermaid's myth, the new characters doesn't have no developed, and plot holes doesn't add up just like the restPirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is more less fun, but it's still not as good as the other trilogy. I still enjoy the fight scenes they were great and Jack Sparrow could be funny, The main point is that the story is nothing much that great, it doesn't explain about the mermaid's myth, the new characters doesn't have no developed, and plot holes doesn't add up just like the rest of the three films together. I can only say it's great to see those pirates again once more and I hope this movie could be the last, so I will sit down and enjoy drinking with yo ho ho with the bottle-of-rum! Expand
  39. Aug 25, 2011
    Pirates 3 was truly the epitome of everything wrong with this franchise. It was long, it was confusing, it forced in comedy when it didn't need it, it tried to balance too much at once, and above all things, there were moments that were truly incredible. The worst thing in cinema is not a bad movie, but seeing a bad movie that clearly could have been a great movie. That was the frustrationPirates 3 was truly the epitome of everything wrong with this franchise. It was long, it was confusing, it forced in comedy when it didn't need it, it tried to balance too much at once, and above all things, there were moments that were truly incredible. The worst thing in cinema is not a bad movie, but seeing a bad movie that clearly could have been a great movie. That was the frustration with Pirates 3. The movie had a giant maelstrom with two ships duking it out in a whirlpool, and there wasn't a good movie around it. Fortunately, Pirates 4 corrects the mistakes of the past. It's just the right length, it isn't confusing, the comedy doesn't feel (as) forced, and it fits in all it needs. What it's missing is anything to wow the audience. I didn't think it was possible, but this is one boring Pirates movie. Expand
  40. Jul 4, 2013
    Un total desastre comparado a lo que me parecía que se venia después del épico final de el fin del mundo, después de todo resalto la nueva idea que lamentablemente no resulto
  41. Oct 23, 2011
    I expected a moderate amount of entertainment, but this movie dragged on. The search for the Arthurian Grail has been transmuted into the search for the Fountain of Youth, with a map left for posterity by Ponce de León himself. Johnny Depp reprises his role of Jack Sparrow very nicely. Penélope Cruz is the lure for international audiences, but she delivers herI expected a moderate amount of entertainment, but this movie dragged on. The search for the Arthurian Grail has been transmuted into the search for the Fountain of Youth, with a map left for posterity by Ponce de León himself. Johnny Depp reprises his role of Jack Sparrow very nicely. Penélope Cruz is the lure for international audiences, but she delivers her lines without expression. And while everyone else manages to look as authentically grungy as a pirate can get, Cruz always looks like she's made up for Vogue, with squeaky clean hair and perfect skin. Even when she's dressed for piracy on the high seas, Cruz is the only one in the bunch who looks like she's off to a Halloween party for rich socialites. And vampire mermaids? Original but too jarring. One does not expect a mermaid to have elongated canines any more than one would expect Lassie to have them. And dogs have real canines. The only reason to make this movie is if you expect to make a billion dollars, and that's exactly what the producers did. Expand
  42. Dec 11, 2011
    After two disappointing prequels, this one may not be as original as it should and Depp's performance is not captivating anymore but, "On Stranger Tides" surprisingly brings new life to the franchise.
  43. Oct 18, 2014
    Crossing paths with the enigmatic Angelica, Captain Jack Sparrow is not sure if it's love—or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the "Queen Anne's Revenge," the ship of the legendary pirate Blackbeard, Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or Angelica,Crossing paths with the enigmatic Angelica, Captain Jack Sparrow is not sure if it's love—or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the "Queen Anne's Revenge," the ship of the legendary pirate Blackbeard, Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or Angelica, with whom he shares a mysterious past. Expand
  44. Sep 9, 2015
    What... the... hell. How is this even a pirates movie? Where's Will? Where's Elizabeth Swan? What the fricking hell happened here? Black Beard isn't a good villain, I hated the love interest and I hated the story. This movie was CRAP!
  45. Oct 30, 2011
    If Pirates 4 had more laughs it could have past but the film lacked something surprising and original. Jack Sparrow is well acted but has not changed since the first movie, I like the guy but where is his growth, his character arc? The movie was an improvement from the 3rd movie but still lacked real charm or a story I cared about. There are a couple of scenes in Pirates 4 that had meIf Pirates 4 had more laughs it could have past but the film lacked something surprising and original. Jack Sparrow is well acted but has not changed since the first movie, I like the guy but where is his growth, his character arc? The movie was an improvement from the 3rd movie but still lacked real charm or a story I cared about. There are a couple of scenes in Pirates 4 that had me interested for a time such as the mermaid attack but overall it seems too familiar and predictable. Expand
  46. Aug 30, 2013
    'Mermaids, Zombies, Blackbeard.' I am really impressed. I wasn't expecting it so good. Johnny Depp is..........simply the best!!! Enjoy it! Perfect!!! WOW!!
  47. Jun 22, 2011
    On Stranger Tides is a frustrating fun time! The cast is great, the script improved, the action is breathtaking, and the pacing better. The movie is a bit stale, no lying there, and some of the new characters were a bit of a waste, but Pirates was still a fun time!
  48. Jul 15, 2013
    This film is all Jack Sparrow, erm, Captain Jack Sparrow. I really loved this film (while some old characters are missed, the new ones are equally entertaining and fresh). I liked the script (while not totally original, it had some witty stuff in there and some good twists and turns), I loved the music (Hans Zimmer does not disappoint), the direction (the fresh new feel and darker feelThis film is all Jack Sparrow, erm, Captain Jack Sparrow. I really loved this film (while some old characters are missed, the new ones are equally entertaining and fresh). I liked the script (while not totally original, it had some witty stuff in there and some good twists and turns), I loved the music (Hans Zimmer does not disappoint), the direction (the fresh new feel and darker feel with the new director), the action was awesome, the acting (Johnny Depp as Sparrow again is just divine and entertaining) and the visuals were spectacular. I really loved this one and I greatly look forward to the next installment. Expand
  49. Oct 27, 2013
    the fourth movie of the pirates of the caribbean franchise was made as an reborn for the franchise,but they done absolutely the same thing with a much worse story.
  50. Nov 29, 2013
    This is not a PotC movie. It had none of the great humor as the first three, let alone that it was a pointless adventure filled with a more predictable amount of stupidity. The acting was okay for the most part, but that didn't make up for almost anything else in this movie.
  51. May 12, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: on stranger tides is brilliant, it may not be the best movie of its series, but it's still brilliant. I don't really see why a lot of people don't like it, it's pure enjoyment, its got amazing action scenes, great acting (especially Johnny Depp), very good special effects, funny moments and awesome music! From best to worst (pirates of the Caribbean movies): 1.Pirates of the Caribbean: on stranger tides is brilliant, it may not be the best movie of its series, but it's still brilliant. I don't really see why a lot of people don't like it, it's pure enjoyment, its got amazing action scenes, great acting (especially Johnny Depp), very good special effects, funny moments and awesome music! From best to worst (pirates of the Caribbean movies): 1. The curse of the black pearl. 2. Dead man's chest. 3. On stranger tides. 4. At world's end. None of them are bad, they're all really good. Expand
  52. Dec 29, 2012
    Yawn... they should have just stopped making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after the first one, the first one was great, but the sequels just keep getting lamer and lamer. This latest one was the most boring Pirates of the Caribbean yet, even Jack Sparrow was lame in this one, it's like he didn't even want this next installment to exist either. +1 for the 2 minute scene with the mermaidYawn... they should have just stopped making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after the first one, the first one was great, but the sequels just keep getting lamer and lamer. This latest one was the most boring Pirates of the Caribbean yet, even Jack Sparrow was lame in this one, it's like he didn't even want this next installment to exist either. +1 for the 2 minute scene with the mermaid attack, the only part of this movie worth watching. Save yourself your valuable money and time and skip this one completely... Expand
  53. Jan 11, 2015
    This is the Pirates of the Caribbean installment you've been waiting for. It's yet another fun romp by Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow that you won't want to miss. Clever dialogue and intense action adds to the movie experience.
  54. Jun 20, 2015
    Except for the intriguing addition of the mermaids, this entire swindling dud is a travesty, nothing happens, the story isn't pushed forward. There is no vision here, I was bored when the filmmakers are trying to relive a magic and sell another pirates movie like it's some 70's moneygrabbing Bond film, I loved the first 3 films, the 3rd one was a little iffy but On Stranger Tides indeed.
  55. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, and Geoffrey Rush combine to make a thoroughly entertaining, suitably cheesy, and sometimes completely hilarious addition to the Pirates franchise.
  56. Jun 5, 2011
    After two disappointing sequels the PotC franchise is back with Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides and I was optimistic that they could rediscover the magic that enthralled us all and make up for Dead Man Chest and At Worlds End. However after an exciting and an opening with great potential i'm afraid it was all downhill from there. Jack Sparrow is back this time however he is onAfter two disappointing sequels the PotC franchise is back with Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides and I was optimistic that they could rediscover the magic that enthralled us all and make up for Dead Man Chest and At Worlds End. However after an exciting and an opening with great potential i'm afraid it was all downhill from there. Jack Sparrow is back this time however he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth however he runs into an old flame in Angelica (Penelope Cruz) who entices Jack and ultimately he ends up onboard The Queen Anne's Revenge, the ruthless pirate Blackbeards (Ian McShane) ship as he himself is after the Fountain of Youth. And thats were there the problems begin. The characters just aren't as appealing and fail to connect with the audience like the previous characters did in the first three movies. Cruz is decent enough but when you look at how good Keira Knightley was theres no comparison. Ian McShane doesn't convince as a ruthless pirate or the villain of the movie like Geoffrey Rush or Bill Nighy did as Barbossa and Davy Jones. The plot itself and more importantly has big issues. For the first time in a Pirates film I didn't really see the point of what was happening it just seemed irrelevant. Many criticisced how overly complicated At Worlds End plot was but this just felt very sub-par and as the film ran along it fell flat even the ending which was too predictable. Instead, it seems as though Rob Marshall has focused on delivering to much action scenes rather than focus on building the story or film or even try and get us interested in a character other than Jack Sparrow because after the 100th sword fight it becomes slightly tiresome. Thankfully for the film Johnny Depp still does the business as Sparrow and Geoffrey Rush is brilliant as Barbossa however they are treading finely as it seems even with Depp on top form the jokes are wearing thin and the Pirates franchise seems to becoming dull, predictable and stale. There will no doubt be another sequel however I hope for the sake of what was a great film franchise they have a large rethink in their approach and get the proper people in place who can bring freshness aboard a sinking ship! Expand
  57. Mar 26, 2016
  58. May 26, 2011
    I can think of many worse ways to spend an evening than watching "On Stranger Tides". I really enjoyed the first 2 movies in the Pirates series but for me this is like the third and just OK. The only reason I gave a 6 as I enjoyed the 3D at the cinema, if not in 3D then I'd give an average 5. If you like the series or Jonny Depp then its worth a watch.
  59. Jun 29, 2011
    A surprisingly good movie. The script is a lot less convoluted then at World's End and Dead Man's Chest. The acting is fantastic by all the leads, and finally getting rid of the stale relationship between Elizabeth and Will did wonders for the film. This installment comes in second behind Curse of the Black Pearl in terms of quality. A good movie, surely for Pirates fans, and even forA surprisingly good movie. The script is a lot less convoluted then at World's End and Dead Man's Chest. The acting is fantastic by all the leads, and finally getting rid of the stale relationship between Elizabeth and Will did wonders for the film. This installment comes in second behind Curse of the Black Pearl in terms of quality. A good movie, surely for Pirates fans, and even for those who are not. Expand
  60. May 5, 2014
    Easily one of the most boring movies i have ever seen. This is a sign that this franchise should be done. Depp cant save it anymore. i hope the rumors of them making a pirates 5 are false.
  61. Nov 2, 2011
    I was slightly wary of this film after seeing the bad press and negativity surrounding it, but I have to say, it was pretty good. Definitely not as good as the first film, it is about on the same level as the second. The action sequences could have been handled better and some of the acting was quite stale. Blackbeard however was the biggest disappointment of the film; he wasn't BristolianI was slightly wary of this film after seeing the bad press and negativity surrounding it, but I have to say, it was pretty good. Definitely not as good as the first film, it is about on the same level as the second. The action sequences could have been handled better and some of the acting was quite stale. Blackbeard however was the biggest disappointment of the film; he wasn't Bristolian enough and didn't seem too evil.
    The film was not a disappointment but a surprise, I hope they make a sequel to improve on this one.
  62. Jun 9, 2014
    So far, the worst out of the POTC series, but I didn't hate it. It just feels like some of the fun and "magic" of the first 3 pirate films felt missing. Depp is still good at being Jack and that can also mostly go to the other returning cast members; some of the newer cast additions were fine but nothing special. I did like the locations featured in this movie, but the story felt a bitSo far, the worst out of the POTC series, but I didn't hate it. It just feels like some of the fun and "magic" of the first 3 pirate films felt missing. Depp is still good at being Jack and that can also mostly go to the other returning cast members; some of the newer cast additions were fine but nothing special. I did like the locations featured in this movie, but the story felt a bit lacking. TBH, I didn't think Pirates 4 was terrible, just not the best and I hope they try to do better when Pirates 5 comes out in 2016. Expand
  63. Aug 6, 2012
    Not a good performing movie that resurrect the series despite having the most out of the money in the box office overseas. The story and plot were so weak that some parts of the movie were just a mess. There shouldn't be a fourth Pirates movie starting with this. Easily the worst movie of the series thus far.
  64. May 21, 2011
    Could have been a fun movie, if it had a script and a director. What a waste of a talented cast. X marks the spot, where this movie killed the franchise. All the film provides is a Johny Depp fix for all the tween girls out there, and not much more.
  65. Jun 15, 2011
    If you are looking for fun, nice scenes, decent acting, charismatic actors, then this movie have it all. If you are looking for a story to believe and trust, definitely this movie lacks it. But, you have to go and watch it, you won't regret it, more than two hours will pass just like that.
  66. Jun 30, 2014
    It was a good movie full of action, adventure, comedy, and interesting special affects. It might have some cheesy parts and love relationships in the background. It even leaves you with a cliffhanger at post-end credits.
  67. Jul 23, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a good film. It does have funny scenes and Cpt. Jack Sparrow is still crazier then ever. The problems with the film is it doesnt beat the first one that i saw and some things in the film didnt make sense. I would give this film a low matinee!
  68. May 29, 2011
    this movie of the series , is probably the worst than ever. the first 45 minutes had nothing. the next 15 minutes was beginning to develop. but again the second half lacks the speed and wild sword fights, comic filled dialogs and some ruthless stunts are all there stuffed into the second half. the movie actually begins to develop at the climax. but who cares, fountain of youth may givethis movie of the series , is probably the worst than ever. the first 45 minutes had nothing. the next 15 minutes was beginning to develop. but again the second half lacks the speed and wild sword fights, comic filled dialogs and some ruthless stunts are all there stuffed into the second half. the movie actually begins to develop at the climax. but who cares, fountain of youth may give life to the people forever. but this franchise would not satisfy the normal viewers. the main reasons are that, it is way too boring in the first half with illogical stunts and some unnecessary scenes which should have been definitely trimmed. looks like the fountain of youth is the only word i can get , but not understand what is the importance in it!! even till the climax. finally what we got here, is a movie with wild stunts , screamings and mermaids along with illogical stunts and escapes and caught again and again. screenplay completely lacked the life. looks like a funny movie rather than, adventure movie. johnny depp was wasted. his talent is not upto the mark in this. ian mcshane was good. geoffrey rush was good. penelope cruz was ok. rest characters are apt. the movie fails to bring interest among audience. even though second half was a bit good, it was overall below average. no scene is gripping and watchable again and again. just a bore franchise adapted to continue the series. i am disappointed. Expand
  69. Jun 8, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a perfect summer flick, but that doesn't necessarily make the flick itself "perfect". It has a very good cast, if you don't include the Holy man played by Sam Claflin, it also has a very great atmosphere, as all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films do, it's biggest flaw is it's messy plot and flow. It's very well paced through the first hourPirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a perfect summer flick, but that doesn't necessarily make the flick itself "perfect". It has a very good cast, if you don't include the Holy man played by Sam Claflin, it also has a very great atmosphere, as all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films do, it's biggest flaw is it's messy plot and flow. It's very well paced through the first hour and then it becomes very rushed and before you know it, it's over. Expand
  70. Sep 3, 2012
    Starting by saying I loved the first three, although I had to see the third one two times to fully understand it and not fall asleep (170 mins, people!) but here: it's kind of this eclectic, stand-alone film and very focused on other elements like love, history and mermaids rather than swashbuckling battles. Let's be brief: The Mermaid Attack and the Final Battle were the best scenes, withStarting by saying I loved the first three, although I had to see the third one two times to fully understand it and not fall asleep (170 mins, people!) but here: it's kind of this eclectic, stand-alone film and very focused on other elements like love, history and mermaids rather than swashbuckling battles. Let's be brief: The Mermaid Attack and the Final Battle were the best scenes, with the Mermaids being the second best scene in the franchise. The movie was fairly good, but not as good as the first three. Expand
  71. Jun 19, 2011
    While this is not as highly entertaining as the first 3 films of the pirates saga, it is still a fun installment even though the 3D was useless. The story could have been better. After the last 2 had so much story to them it just feels like they were trying to make it too simple. I would say this would be a great rental on a friday night. 5/10
  72. Jun 4, 2011
    Slightly entertaining movie, but the story felt very choppy. I loved Jonny Depp in this movie but thats about it. There were just so many things that weren't good, I don't even know where to start. Lets just say overall disappointing. Worst Pirates movie so far.
  73. May 27, 2013
    I don't like any of Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I specially dislike the character Jack Sparrow, annoys me. Just a boring battle scenes. I don't want to see battles, I just want to story.
  74. Nov 20, 2011
    While it is completely the weakest of the entire series, On Stranger Tides is pure fun. It takes a while to get up to speed (the first half had me worried it would end up in the same area as Indiana Jones 4 or Rocky 4 ended up in), but once it picks up, the movie doesn't stop until the finish. Johnny Depp is always a joy to watch on screen, and always finds a way to work with his part.While it is completely the weakest of the entire series, On Stranger Tides is pure fun. It takes a while to get up to speed (the first half had me worried it would end up in the same area as Indiana Jones 4 or Rocky 4 ended up in), but once it picks up, the movie doesn't stop until the finish. Johnny Depp is always a joy to watch on screen, and always finds a way to work with his part. Just look at Secret Window: a predictible and contrive movie, yet Johnny Depp still sorta shines through. At this point in the series, it is starting to feel a little tired. Pirates of the Caribbean is really playing its last chips here. Not all the originality is there, though the mermaids were one of the more interesting things seen in the Pirates movies. Jack Sparrow's jokes are starting to get a little tacky, but there are still a few that will draw genuine laughs. Let's just hope Depp keeps to his word with "Did everybody see that, because I won't be doing it again." A fun one to watch, but the series is steering into some dangerous tides here. Expand
  75. Jul 16, 2011
    This is a Pirates franchise movie. Nothing new, but that's not bad, it's just nothing new. I felt like we had seen it all before, just different pirates and different monsters or theme. You could watch this at home and have missed nothing from the big screen. It was good while I was there, but felt dirty afterwards :)
  76. Jul 20, 2011
    It was better than my expectations, but it's very apparent that Disney were just trying to milk as much as possible out of this incredibly popular franchise, by sacrificing some of the quality. Still, there's never really a dull moment, with Johnny Depp pulling it all together brilliantly, and it's still a must-see film.
  77. May 28, 2011
    I went to this picture really wanting to like it. Geoffrey Rush is my favorite actor, so I was really pushing for this to be successful, and some of it is. In the end, however, the picture, longing for its original brilliance, as a whole is just ok.
  78. Jun 13, 2011
    Easily the worst of Pirates of the Caribbean, I watched it in French with some friends and it wasn't great. Although there are some good and funny moments, it is clear that the saga is falling on itself, as well as Jack Sparrow. The first scenes were horrible, too much of a caricature and some characters weren't plausible (such as the fat English nobleman) and Barbossa looked awful in hisEasily the worst of Pirates of the Caribbean, I watched it in French with some friends and it wasn't great. Although there are some good and funny moments, it is clear that the saga is falling on itself, as well as Jack Sparrow. The first scenes were horrible, too much of a caricature and some characters weren't plausible (such as the fat English nobleman) and Barbossa looked awful in his costume. After this terrible ouverture it does tend to get better, bringing in the mermaids was a great idea in my opinion but the love story between one of them and the religious guy just falls right flat, especially when he gives her that stupid name "Syrena"! Everyone in the theatre was like "omg..., how stupid is that!". I know that "syrène" is "mermaid" in English (so it doesn't actually sound false in English), but they could've changed it for **** sake! Anyway, once you've passed the low quality barrier of the movie, you can enjoy the end, which is the best part. So that sets the bad story telling and awful characters. The movie could have been saved by SFX, unfortunately, those aren't great either (worse than it's predecessors) and the environment felt too overdone, too much pushed like an American movie. It feels wrong. All in all, I suggest you watch this movie only if you're a Pirates of the Caribbean die-hard or if you're a complete retard who enjoys stupid movies and has no cultural background. (Sorry for being harsh, but I'm really pissed too have spent money on it). Expand
  79. May 24, 2011
    The movie was kind of just sub-par to me. The first 15 minutes of the movie made me excited with the potential of the journey to come but somehow it just felt flat. Ironically, the most exhausting part of On Stranger Tides are the sword fights, too many of them and I was longing for some good slow pace story-telling which are few and far in between. The movie seems rushed, it didn't takeThe movie was kind of just sub-par to me. The first 15 minutes of the movie made me excited with the potential of the journey to come but somehow it just felt flat. Ironically, the most exhausting part of On Stranger Tides are the sword fights, too many of them and I was longing for some good slow pace story-telling which are few and far in between. The movie seems rushed, it didn't take it's own time and tell the story that it wants to tell. Rob Marshall just wants to bombard the fans with all action sequences and explosions, which is what a summer movie is all about (I know..). But there was so much potential there for a better quality summer flick. Thank heavens Johnny Depp is holding out from making Pirates 5 and 6 in quick succession, because he knows that the story is the most important element of a good movie and not just crank out a movie and dominate the box-office. Expand
  80. Nov 16, 2011
    I don't know why anyone would say this is a bad movie. Johnny Depp is hilarious, yet awesome, in every Pirates of the Caribbean movie and that is something you cannot disagree with. I have to admit that when I first went to see the movie, I had heard from my friends it sucks and etc. But when I got to see it by myself, I was happy. That's what I felt. I was happy to see that they made aI don't know why anyone would say this is a bad movie. Johnny Depp is hilarious, yet awesome, in every Pirates of the Caribbean movie and that is something you cannot disagree with. I have to admit that when I first went to see the movie, I had heard from my friends it sucks and etc. But when I got to see it by myself, I was happy. That's what I felt. I was happy to see that they made a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and I'm gladly looking forward to the upcoming fifth and sixth movies. Expand
  81. May 24, 2011
    I've never been a big fan of these movies but I think they are entertaining. On Stranger Tides is the most entertaining of them all for being a bit more focused movie. The other movies i felt added way too much yet still wanted the audience to focus on the exploits of Jack Sparrow. This time we can focus on Jack Sparrow and everything else is just peppered in as filler. Instead of treatingI've never been a big fan of these movies but I think they are entertaining. On Stranger Tides is the most entertaining of them all for being a bit more focused movie. The other movies i felt added way too much yet still wanted the audience to focus on the exploits of Jack Sparrow. This time we can focus on Jack Sparrow and everything else is just peppered in as filler. Instead of treating this as a fourth tale of the story, it acts as another adventure with Jack Sparrow. The central plot is getting to the fountain of youth and everything conviens on that. Other parts of the story left much to be desired for developing the characters. Yet I don't think it would make any difference on the outcome. The action, though it wasn't as grand as At Worlds End, it fit well here in coalation to the plot and characters. Performances were all good and Johnny Depp shines again. If you are looking for great story and wonderous magic, its not here. However, it serves as a nice time going to the movies. Expand
  82. Feb 21, 2013
    It's a nice film, but i didn't understand the story line very much. but i loved the funny scene of jack sparrow
  83. May 20, 2011
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of ho-hum! No stranger here, in the fourth installment of the popular PIRATES franchise, as everything seems eerily familiar - just made with a lot less passion. Clocking in at almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, ON STRANGER TIDES is a needlessly long, meandering, action-forced and semi-incohesive sea-going flick that was made to deliver boat loads of moeny and mildlyYo ho ho and a bottle of ho-hum! No stranger here, in the fourth installment of the popular PIRATES franchise, as everything seems eerily familiar - just made with a lot less passion. Clocking in at almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, ON STRANGER TIDES is a needlessly long, meandering, action-forced and semi-incohesive sea-going flick that was made to deliver boat loads of moeny and mildly entertain (which it does do from time to time). Although it neither sinks nor swims, the whole affair has lost its freshness, grit, swagger and big budget pop. It's an adventure about the fountain of youth taht's lost its youthful charm. Expand
  84. Dec 31, 2011
    I love the first three (yes, I am a defender of the sequels) but this film is pretty awful, it feels overwrought and undercooked. If you cant get the original cast back at least add some character development to Jack Sparrow! No interesting new characters and the script features no wit unlike the other films
  85. Jul 8, 2015
    I miss some of the old characters like will and others so that already goes as a negative I think this film could be better but blackbeard is a good villian. The other new characters are boring and the story could be much better
  86. May 20, 2011
    Clumsy storytelling, mediocre cinematography and disappointing characters. It is a sad reminder of how great were the first 2 movies of the franchise.
  87. Jul 5, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is an enjoyable movie filled with a perfect mix of humor, suspense and action, a recipe to have at the edge of your seat. Johnny Depp easily lives up to his reputation bringing wit and humor to set completing the newest addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean saga and making it a pleasure for all (well twelve and onwards).
  88. Sep 28, 2011
    A combination of new director Rob Marshall, lack lustred Penelope Cruz and some really strange pacing (whether its writers or editing), this movie lost what the previous movies had in abundance, heart, soul and wickedness. The movie seemed "alcohol free", dont scare the little ones and tamed down too much for its own good. I think the reigns where brought right in on this one, and itA combination of new director Rob Marshall, lack lustred Penelope Cruz and some really strange pacing (whether its writers or editing), this movie lost what the previous movies had in abundance, heart, soul and wickedness. The movie seemed "alcohol free", dont scare the little ones and tamed down too much for its own good. I think the reigns where brought right in on this one, and it shows. The jokes where off, clever lines missing and the dark, rum filled, dinginess was bought into the sunlight. A little over cooked. unfortunately, I wont be holding my breath for another instalment. Perhaps this was one movie too far. Expand
  89. Jun 19, 2011
    WHY? That's the only thing I want to know, did we need another one?... NO! The action looks great but is so plentiful that it becomes tedious and boring. The film never fully lifts off and ends up being a Pirate movie that sinks.
  90. May 26, 2011
    It's simple. If you're a fan of this series then you will enjoy this movie. If you didn't like the earlier ones then you won't like this one either, as it doesn't really bring anything new. The action is stale and very "Disney" which hurts the movie. This won't be winning any awards but still I enjoyed it.
  91. Oct 20, 2011
    On Stranger Tides is far from the best 'Pirates' movie but it isn't as bad as people say. After the seeing the disastrous third film I didn't know what to expect. I didn't expect much and this probably did me good as the film seemed okay to me. The visuals and acting was great but Blackbeard never really seemed as cool as he was in real life. Story was a little off and there were partsOn Stranger Tides is far from the best 'Pirates' movie but it isn't as bad as people say. After the seeing the disastrous third film I didn't know what to expect. I didn't expect much and this probably did me good as the film seemed okay to me. The visuals and acting was great but Blackbeard never really seemed as cool as he was in real life. Story was a little off and there were parts that were supposed to be for laughs but didn't really work. Another thing that made this sort of disappointing was the lack of time in a ship, the 3 Pirates film spent most of the time in a ship and because of that this didn't really feel like a pirate movie. On Stranger Tides never reached the greatness of the first film but it was better than I expected and better than the last film. Expand
  92. Jul 4, 2011
    I've enjoyed the first three films in this series, but this one was a disappointment. Sure there are some parts of it that are good, but overall it disappoints. Predictable plot and weak chemistry between the characters.
  93. May 20, 2011
    Pirates of the caribbean On stranger tides is fun , very enjoyable, interesting, brilliant and has a good history. It meets its promises, giving us again a fresh, and addictive movie. Go wach! It'll be an awesome 2h and 25minutes
  94. Jun 20, 2011
    The Black Pearl is freedom, but it doesn't exactly play a part in this very different addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean series. In fact, if you were looking forward to seeing the old crew again you might be a bit disappointed. However, Mr. Gibbs, Captain Barbosa and Captain Jack Sparrow are all back and are the only characters needed to keep it familiar while adding new charactersThe Black Pearl is freedom, but it doesn't exactly play a part in this very different addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean series. In fact, if you were looking forward to seeing the old crew again you might be a bit disappointed. However, Mr. Gibbs, Captain Barbosa and Captain Jack Sparrow are all back and are the only characters needed to keep it familiar while adding new characters to a more fresh story. The story itself isn't completely original though. Being loosely based on the novel On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers it also has tastes of Treasure Island and The Last Crusade in it, but don't get me wrong it was a great story nontheless. Don't bring your young children along to it. Pirates of the Carribean was never really for simple minds to understand. I am not saying it has a complicated story, but much like the others, you have to pay attention to the dialogue, not just the pretty colours. There is definitely enough action in the film as well as a tiny bit of romance, but no more than you'd expect of Jack. On that note, the mermaids were great to watch as were most of the added special effects. Like all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies the effects are believable and that is all that matters, it doesn't need to pop right out into your face. That was the downside with this film. The director seemed a bit too aware that it was a 3D film and may have changed a few things because of that, that just didn't need to be changed. Overall, it is an awesome film. Watch it at the cinemas or watch it at home, either way if you were already a fan, you should watch it. If you weren't previously a fan, this episode is quite different, so you should still watch it. Expand
  95. Jun 28, 2011
    On Stranger Tides feels so much smaller in scope to the original Pirates movies. This small scope and lack of old characters makes this adventure flick feel very... well, unnecessary to say the least. Johnny Depp does a good job in this one, and plays a still surprisingly entertaining Jack Sparrow but overall the film lacks a sort of anchor to hold it down and make it special, no punOn Stranger Tides feels so much smaller in scope to the original Pirates movies. This small scope and lack of old characters makes this adventure flick feel very... well, unnecessary to say the least. Johnny Depp does a good job in this one, and plays a still surprisingly entertaining Jack Sparrow but overall the film lacks a sort of anchor to hold it down and make it special, no pun intended. I'll give this movie the benefit of the doubt and say that it is much improved over At Worlds End and has a decently understandable plot. While the plot isn't terrible it's not very good either. so that leaves this movie being just middle-of-the-road mediocre. The characters in this film are really not that interesting and there are only a few stand out scenes. There are two characters in this film who seem to be fillers for Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley's characters, and let me tell you they really not done well. These two characters have their own side story and they really drag the film down during their screen time (which thankfully isn't that much). The good thing is there are still a lot of funny Jack Sparrow scenes that we have all come to love. On Stranger Tides is not a bad film and doesn't do anything outstanding either, it just feels really unnecessary. Expand
  96. Aug 8, 2011
    This pirate franchise has just sank to the bottom of the sea. The plot was flat, the characters were boring, the action was horrible, what else is there to be said about this film?
  97. Jul 3, 2013
    On Stranger Tides is really kind of heartbreaking. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush have glorious onscreen chemistry and get to be onscreen together more than ever before...but they can't save the movie by themselves. Ian McShane is a fantastic actor...held back by a weak script. The idea of a cleric and a mermaid falling in love in the side plot is cool...but is executed horribly. OnOn Stranger Tides is really kind of heartbreaking. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush have glorious onscreen chemistry and get to be onscreen together more than ever before...but they can't save the movie by themselves. Ian McShane is a fantastic actor...held back by a weak script. The idea of a cleric and a mermaid falling in love in the side plot is cool...but is executed horribly. On Stranger Tides is trapped between a central cast with several excellent actors and an awkward, clumsy script that has a cringer for every good line (and there are quite a few of each). The film has a distinctly lower budget than previous installments, and it shows: the only naval battle that could have happened is called off due to lack of interest on the part of the Spanish fleet, even though Barbossa (now a British privateer) is rarin' to go.

The worst part of the movie is also its best part: Ian McShane as Blackbeard. Ian McShane delivers the single best performance in the movie, with perfect lines, perfect inflection, perfect everything...and what makes him the worst part is that he's tied to the clumsy wreck that is the rest of the movie, making him a constant reminder of what could have been if only the film had a better budget and a more consistent writer. Jack Sparrow does prove that he can carry a story on his own instead of being the trickster spotlight-stealer to Will Turner, but it's a weak story through no fault of Jack's.

On Stranger Tides is a good movie stuck in the shell of a bad movie, chained to the wall by its inconsistent writing, weak secondary characters, and low budget.
  98. Dec 9, 2011
    This movie's very existence is a testament to how good Depp was in the first Pirates. Disney spawned three more movies simply on the echo of Captain Jack's personality. And that's it. For the last three movies are increasingly void of soul, plot, or sense whatsoever. They're just a bunch of weird ideas spinning around a character who deserves better. This one has mermaids. OutsideThis movie's very existence is a testament to how good Depp was in the first Pirates. Disney spawned three more movies simply on the echo of Captain Jack's personality. And that's it. For the last three movies are increasingly void of soul, plot, or sense whatsoever. They're just a bunch of weird ideas spinning around a character who deserves better. This one has mermaids. Outside that fact, I'm not sure I will (or will want to) remember anything about it. If you're wondering--like I was before I rented it, "Will I be glad I gave this series one more chance?" The answer is no. Expand
  99. May 25, 2011
    The Pirates movies have been a bit of a hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the first movie while the second and third were just alright. This movie seems to take the cake for the series for me. Great characters such as Barbosa and Jack (of course) are back, but the real great character in this movie is Blackbeard. I feel that he was done so well and really showcases this evil pirate withoutThe Pirates movies have been a bit of a hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the first movie while the second and third were just alright. This movie seems to take the cake for the series for me. Great characters such as Barbosa and Jack (of course) are back, but the real great character in this movie is Blackbeard. I feel that he was done so well and really showcases this evil pirate without taking it to ridiculous extremes. The story was entertaining as I love epic adventure movies like this one. The cinematography of the lands was outstanding and it was always cool to look at the environments that the movie was shot in. Me being a fan of the age of piracy and Johnny Depp and the overall idea of Pirates of the Caribbean make this one of the most enjoyable movies to come out this far into the year. Expand
  100. Apr 6, 2013
    When I first heard that there would be a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, I was a bit skeptical. However, this movie greatly exceeded my expectations. It was funny and it was finding a very interesting item in the Fountain of Youth. Jack Sparrow and Barbossa are great as they usually are. Gibbs is still one of my favorite characters. He was justWhen I first heard that there would be a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, I was a bit skeptical. However, this movie greatly exceeded my expectations. It was funny and it was finding a very interesting item in the Fountain of Youth. Jack Sparrow and Barbossa are great as they usually are. Gibbs is still one of my favorite characters. He was just great. In my opinion, this was a good movie that was very funny and underrated, especially compared to the other installments in the series. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jun 1, 2011
    Small kids won't really appreciate Johnny Depp, either, though frankly he's getting to be less fun as the series ages, possibly realizing that what's riskiest in Pirates 4 isn't walking the plank, but jumping the shark.
    I've never seen a film in which what was actually onscreen seemed so irrelevant.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    May 21, 2011
    This installment, which is subtitled "Give Us Your Money, Sheep," really isn't a Pirates of the Caribbean movie at all.