8.8

Jul 21, 2003
    As good as the ride.
  2. MadisonM.
    Jul 21, 2003
    It was very entertaining, and the cast was unbelievably good at their roles. It had all the cinematic aspects of a good film, action, romance and an intense plot line. Very well done with the computer graphics. Overall it was one of my favortie movies.
  3. JordynM.
    Jul 22, 2003
    It was so cool. It was good in a gross way though. Some parts freaked me out and some parts were really gross. But it was really funny. It was a great movie.
  4. JeffreyL.S.
    Jul 22, 2003
    (***1/2) A surprisingly terrificly entertaining fun-film. That also has an amazing eye for detail-(NOTE: Likely OSCAR nods. for Costumes, Art-Direction & maybe even Best Make-Up?) & Johnny Depp is a surprise for those whom never saw his other utterly bizarre work in 1994's "Ed Wood" This is a very risky performance & It works in my view anyway. & In a silly, loud, obnoxious summer of (***1/2) A surprisingly terrificly entertaining fun-film. That also has an amazing eye for detail-(NOTE: Likely OSCAR nods. for Costumes, Art-Direction & maybe even Best Make-Up?) & Johnny Depp is a surprise for those whom never saw his other utterly bizarre work in 1994's "Ed Wood" This is a very risky performance & It works in my view anyway. & In a silly, loud, obnoxious summer of more gunfire & car chases then probably any other season/year before hand, this & "Finding Nemo" are classy fun colorful stand-outs! & know we have what is certain to be big OSCAR-bait "Seabiscuit!?" Waited through all the explosions,etc & where the main goal is $$$ as opposed to quality & Box-0ffice For the best flix of the summer of 2003. Trivia: B.O. pundits say Pirate/swashbuckling flix are a $$$ curse. *Spielberg's 1991 "Hook" (**) made: $116m. & this has already soared past it! Matter of fact, only other film Depp appeared in, that went over $100m. Is. "Sleepy Hollow?" Expand
  5. FredS.
    Jul 27, 2003
    Great Ride! (The Movie, I mean.) Best film I've seen this summer. Action, humor, adventure, and pirates, too... What could be more fun.
  6. YaelH.
    Jul 28, 2003
    It's the best movie that every came out its a thrilling movie with lots of action and lots of humor especially johnny depp (captain jack sparrow) and it also has romance between will and elizabeth. The skeletons were so cool and the monkey was freaky. im going to see it again and again i cant wait till it comes out on dvd ill be there buying its 1st!
  7. Kim
    Aug 12, 2003
    Best Film this summer!
  8. KaitlynT.(2e)
    Aug 15, 2003
    This is The best movie ever! Saw it 3 times!!! Breathe taking, action packed, romance, everything a movie should have! Johnny was Fantastic, hysterical he was!
  9. JeanW.
    Aug 17, 2003
    Depp + Bloom + Knightley = Great Cast and Movie! I gasped, jumped, cried a little, and of course laughed so hard I spilt my sister?s soda? on her. Johnny Depp makes an amazing pirate, who would have thought a pirate could be so hilarious and handsome? I applaud the makeup artists immensely. Orlando Bloom was a great equal to Depp on screen, as was Kiera Knightley, one of my new favorite Depp + Bloom + Knightley = Great Cast and Movie! I gasped, jumped, cried a little, and of course laughed so hard I spilt my sister?s soda? on her. Johnny Depp makes an amazing pirate, who would have thought a pirate could be so hilarious and handsome? I applaud the makeup artists immensely. Orlando Bloom was a great equal to Depp on screen, as was Kiera Knightley, one of my new favorite actresses. I expect the DVD to be in my collection the moment it comes out, I can not wait! Expand
  10. LW
    Aug 19, 2003
    This is my ultimate favorite movie.
  11. KevinS.
    Aug 21, 2003
    Lumumba is a poignant and somewhat frustrating tale of a tragedy that should not have happened, but did.
  12. Gabrielle
    Aug 23, 2003
    johnny depp is the perfect pirate.he brings adventure and comic to the film.orlando bloom is great in this movie. he and keira knightley are one of the cutest movie couples ever. they have an innocent sort of love that people can't resist. i love both johnny depp and orlando bloom and they are the perfect comedy/adventure partners.
  13. OmuhO.
    Aug 24, 2003
    Not the best movie ever made, but i enjoyed Johnny Depp, who's playin a very charismatic pirate. after a while this movie becomes a little boring, and the end is very disney but it's nice to see that not always overtuned historical movies are made. If you are a pirate fan, you must see this movie, and while you're watching look at the scene where the pearl shoots knipples toNot the best movie ever made, but i enjoyed Johnny Depp, who's playin a very charismatic pirate. after a while this movie becomes a little boring, and the end is very disney but it's nice to see that not always overtuned historical movies are made. If you are a pirate fan, you must see this movie, and while you're watching look at the scene where the pearl shoots knipples to the Hms Interceptor--> the mast will break but in the scene afterwards the mast is back in full shape :p I know i'm a nerd ;) Expand
  14. DavidL.
    Aug 26, 2003
    This is good typical hollywood. Not in the sense of messing things up, but in the sense of providing memorable, unshakespearean entertainment. All the negative comments about the script and Johnny Depp among other things are unjustified. Unless you be the movie critic or the "I have no life so I see all the summer movies buff" you call tell this script and the acting was way above par. This is good typical hollywood. Not in the sense of messing things up, but in the sense of providing memorable, unshakespearean entertainment. All the negative comments about the script and Johnny Depp among other things are unjustified. Unless you be the movie critic or the "I have no life so I see all the summer movies buff" you call tell this script and the acting was way above par. The only complaint I had was when the movie appeared to be at the end when suddenly, we have one last action scene before the long awaited, destined lovers kiss. And then that still is not the end of the movie. The actual ending is quite satisfying though. Expand
  15. Carly
    Sep 16, 2003
    Fantastic movie! This is Johnny Depp at his best!
  16. AmrozM.
    Sep 25, 2003
    Best movie ever made and going to be my favourite for ages.
  17. LilD.
    Nov 23, 2004
    This film was proper bo a tell thi!!! also he cast in Sleepy Hollow that was great i always watch it when i go to Skeggy in mi aunts caravan cause she keeps it there. OH yeh. I go 2 WINGFIELD! BIG IT UP WINGY!! Jonny Depp is so god dam fit he's proper sexy.
  18. Deon
    Jan 21, 2004
    Best movie of 2003 hands down.
  19. DanC.
    Jan 27, 2004
    Pirates is an excellent film. But would it have been without Depp? It is because of that possibility that I don't give the film full marks. Depp is worthy of his Oscar nod in this film. One of the funniest of the year.
  20. NinjaMaifa
    Feb 16, 2004
    This movie took me by surprise. This is the funnest movie since the Princess Bride. The storyline is kind of weak. The story is about one Captain Jack Sparrow, who lost his crew and respect years ago. Now, his crew has returned as the undead because of a curse. If they get all of these certain coins, they can break the curse. Not exactly the most thrilling plot ever. Does pull one twist This movie took me by surprise. This is the funnest movie since the Princess Bride. The storyline is kind of weak. The story is about one Captain Jack Sparrow, who lost his crew and respect years ago. Now, his crew has returned as the undead because of a curse. If they get all of these certain coins, they can break the curse. Not exactly the most thrilling plot ever. Does pull one twist that was kind of expected but still, atleast they tried. The true reason why this film gets a 9 out of 10 is because of how fun it is. Quick and witty dialogue, a very interesting main character, and some fun action sequences make this movie a joy to watch. The only complaint about this movie I have is one of the biggest reason why I love this movie. Johnny Depp. This guy can act, and here, he shows of some of the best acting he has done since Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Problem is, is that this is the movie that got Depp recognized. He has now turned into a product. An advertisement for movies. Something that he actually hates. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. Plus, Depp has starred in a ton of really excellent movies, it is ridiculous that he finally gets recgonized in this movie. Overall, the movie is fun and should not be missed by anyone. Expand
  21. TalyiaN.
    Feb 26, 2004
    I absolutely loved this movie!! orlando bloom was sooo hott!!all the gurls @ my skool loved johnny depp but ob's my man!!
  22. JocelyneD.
    Mar 17, 2004
    I LOVE Johnny Depp.
  23. DorianG.
    May 16, 2004
    I really wish to be in that movie. Simply GREAT!!!
  24. AmandaP.
    May 24, 2004
    This movie kicked ass! I can't get enough of it!
  25. PaulaM.
    May 19, 2005
    This is the best movie I have ever seen in my whole life!!!!
  26. WalterY.
    Jan 15, 2006
    Because I'm a huge fan of pirates and the Disney Ride itself, I loved the movie. J. Depp was excellent, as were his fellow actors. The plot was genious and entertaining. There were maybe one or two dull spots, but they were necessary to explain the plot. I especially enjoyed all of the literary devices used in the film, such as foreshadowing and symbolism. Maybe I'm more of the Because I'm a huge fan of pirates and the Disney Ride itself, I loved the movie. J. Depp was excellent, as were his fellow actors. The plot was genious and entertaining. There were maybe one or two dull spots, but they were necessary to explain the plot. I especially enjoyed all of the literary devices used in the film, such as foreshadowing and symbolism. Maybe I'm more of the literary type and that is also why I enjoyed this film. To all of you who gave this movie a bad rating, you are uncultured and need to maybe read a book. For those of you that hate the movie because of the female fasination of the leading males, that's just sad... This movie was an excellent piece of artistry and I enjoyed it very much. Expand
  27. ElizabethC.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Johnny Depp was AWESOME in this movie!!! I loved it. I saw it twice in theatres and bought it the day it came out in dvd.... One of my favorite movies!
  28. MelissaR.
    Jul 22, 2006
    this movie is the best also dead mans chest.
  29. GemSparrow(Iwish^^)
    Nov 12, 2003
    This movie is great! A good start, slow to get to the intial incident, but when it gets there it's awesome! I'm watching it again, twice in two days! Depp was stunning, I shun all the people who think otherwise. Sparrow is so hot!!
  30. PaulF.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Great movie. I'm laughing at the critics that gave this a 20... someone is desperate for attention.
  31. KassieM.
    Dec 31, 2003
    A wonderful movie! Honestly! One of the best this summer. Being that I'm totally honest, you can wait for me to do something "incredibly stupid." All the actors were wonderful, the movie was done in the perfect place, and the action, adventure, humor...everything...it just all ties up!
  32. AleC
    Nov 13, 2004
    GREAT ACTION!!!!!! Johnny Depp is one of the best actors ever made.
  33. Jaqz
    Nov 14, 2004
    All you people who gave it 0,1 and 2's obviously dont know a good movie when you see it.
  34. Aug 22, 2010
    An instantly classic movie that i've seen way too many times because it's so good. The music is especially awesome as well as the hilarious quirkiness of Captain Jack Sparrow. Never gets old.
  35. Dec 27, 2013
    This may not be the greatest movie ever made but that does not mean it is boring at all. This is a really entertaining movie. The characters are likeable, the action is engaging, and there are some great performances. The film can drag at times and the story does get a tad overly complicated but not too much. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of TheThis may not be the greatest movie ever made but that does not mean it is boring at all. This is a really entertaining movie. The characters are likeable, the action is engaging, and there are some great performances. The film can drag at times and the story does get a tad overly complicated but not too much. Overall I really enjoy this movie. Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of The Black Pearl is a ton of fun to watch and just makes you want to be a pirate. I’ve seen it several times and I know I’ll probably wind up watching it again in the future. Expand
  36. Nov 23, 2011
    Actually was pretty good. The only decent film in the entire series if you ask me. While the long run time does hurt it a bit, It was still an enjoyable film.
  37. Jan 6, 2011
    There is a girl in my class that would have the same opinion of this movie as I do, Great story, interesting plot and hilarious moments... This is truly a great that will go down in history... But the rest might not....... Looking forward to 4th movie coming to cinema soon
  38. Mar 21, 2011
    Arg this is a pirates life for me! With unforgettable characters, a clever script, incredible action sequences, and an excellent mood, Pirates of the Caribbean is the perfect blockbuster and an incredible ride! :D
  39. Jan 22, 2011
    coool cool cool cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
  40. May 18, 2011
    This movie will make you love pirates if you didn't already love it. Depp is great in this! Lots of cool sword fights and action scenes in it, too! It's a great story, and will want to watch it over and over again!
  41. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    Nothing is better than the original, as is the truth with the film that introduced Captain Jack Sparrow to the world that has yet to let go. The first Pirates movie is a boatload of wacky, PG-13 fun, filled with sword-fights, skeletons, general hilarity, and the kind of cheesy love story that adds to the movie instead of subtracting from it.
  42. Dec 11, 2011
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is a 143 minutes ride of a thrilling adventure featuring rich CGI, action-packed tone and a powerful performance from Depp. This is a perfect summer blockbuster.
  43. Sep 8, 2011
    A good movie all around. Good acting, good writing, great score, some really memorable quotes. Depp as Jack Sparrow should go down in film history as one of the greatest characters ever. There is something off about the final scene that I can't quite figure out, but that's my only real complaint.
  44. Dec 3, 2011
    The film maybe long and sometimes too over the top, but Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a good popcorn film filled with comedy, drama and action, especially a lot of action. I may have said the acting at times can be too over the top with many of the characters, but some performances like Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow) and Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbossa) wereThe film maybe long and sometimes too over the top, but Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a good popcorn film filled with comedy, drama and action, especially a lot of action. I may have said the acting at times can be too over the top with many of the characters, but some performances like Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow) and Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbossa) were believable throughout the movie. The plot for the most part was straight forward, though this would be a film you have to listen carefully, for sometimes the dialogue from some thick speaking actors will recital things too quickly. If you want to hear a good old pirate's tale, then The Curse of the Black Pearl is the film you must keep an eye on. All audience alike will certainly not be disappointed. Expand
  45. Jun 28, 2013
    A blockbuster in every way, The Curse of the Black Pearl is a perfect start to a massively grossing franchise that is still going, flawed but definitely enjoyable, much more than a film based on a theme park ride should have been.
    Johnny Depp creates a character that will undoubtedly be one of if not the most iconic of all his roles, Captain Jack Sparrow, don't forget the 'Captain' part, he won't like that. A man famous for us often personal and more bizarre roles has created one of the most memorable and comic characters we have seen, and to top it all off, he's a pirate.
    Set in the midst of the age of the cutlass-wielding treasure hunters, Jack lands in Port Royal where inadvertently saves the Governors daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightley). He somewhat befriends blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) who sets out with him to capture the infamous Black Pearl, a ship run by the dead who have been cursed after stealing the wrong sort of treasure.
    The set-pieces are explosive and the dialogue is a homage to the age the film is set in. There is quite a reliance on humour, which pays off in many aspects throughout the film but at other points can fall short of its target, the two high points of this being Jack Sparrow himself played uniquely by Depp, bringing his very own take and charisma to the character, and Geoffrey Rush who plays the Captain of the Black Pearl, Barbosa, whose confident and grumbled Irish accent and command of the screen, along the unfortunately limited screen time himself and Depp share together, make up very dark and witty humour throughout.
    The heart of the film is lead by Knightley and Bloom who have a blossoming romance on the cards, their scenes can be a little dramatic for the theme of the film, and more time should have been spent getting to know these pirates more, but take the good with the bad I suppose.
    Of course the true brand of the film is that of Jack Sparrow, his mumbling and comedic quips with those surrounding him are electrifying through the talent of Depp, and while the supporting cast are on sound form, he truly steals the show, along with quite the satisfying finale that of course opened all sorts of doors. The film is quite remarkable in the sense of its emergence from nothing, but I suppose if Ron Howard takes inspiration from paintings, a theme park ride is bound to be a creative playground.
  46. Dec 7, 2011
    Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl, directed by Gregor Verbiniski, is one of the best action/ adventure films of 2003 and was based on a Disney World ride. Verbiniski directed a few other movies before hitting it big with this one. It grossed over 650 million worldwide, and gave Verbiniski the type of success most directors envy. Pirates of the Caribbean will draw youPirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl, directed by Gregor Verbiniski, is one of the best action/ adventure films of 2003 and was based on a Disney World ride. Verbiniski directed a few other movies before hitting it big with this one. It grossed over 650 million worldwide, and gave Verbiniski the type of success most directors envy. Pirates of the Caribbean will draw you in and keep you hooked, with a burning ship, a mysterious pirate flag, and the grand entrance of Jack Sparrow. With his amazing escape via ship parts and zip lines, a sword fight on roof beams... and that's just the beginning. Then the intrigue truly begins. Have you ever watched a movie, where reality and fantasy come together adding a mythological twist to it? Sit back while the director transports you to a far away place to create this fantastic movie, thatâ Expand
  47. Apr 19, 2012
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl is flawed fun. It's mostly predictable, it's got some good gags, but it's heavily flawed. The film has literally HUNDREDS of contradictions and plot holes. I enjoyed the film, but the contradicitions were distracting. This film has a fantastic first half hour. It's funny, and thrilling at times. However, after that first half hour, thePirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl is flawed fun. It's mostly predictable, it's got some good gags, but it's heavily flawed. The film has literally HUNDREDS of contradictions and plot holes. I enjoyed the film, but the contradicitions were distracting. This film has a fantastic first half hour. It's funny, and thrilling at times. However, after that first half hour, the quality drops. It's still enjoyable, and you will be entertained, but it never lives up to that first half hour. The musical score is VERY good. There were too many hands in the score for me to properly credit anyone, but Hanz Zimmer played a big part in the score, and it shows. The action, is mostly generic, and will never have you on the edge of your seat. At times, the action is even predictable. At the minimum, it's passable, and not terrible. The acting is strong. Performances from Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Geofferey Rush shine. The story is a little on the cliche side, but it's a silly tale, and no one really cares. In addition to contradictions, there were a lot of moments where I rolled my eyes at the improbability of it all. Of course, teenage boys tend to eat that stuff up. POTC: TCOTBP is a fun, albeit flawed movie, that's probably best for teens and tweens with low expectations. Expand
  48. Jun 20, 2015
    Entertaining and well-spirited swashbuckler going beyond the ride in joyfully creating a world of story, of character and of heart. Even though it's boring on occasion, was the ride not a little dull at times, being a water ride, the movie is a roller coaster. It takes dip and dives but not enough twirls and spirals to make a terrific memorable film become a classic. Moreover, JohnnyEntertaining and well-spirited swashbuckler going beyond the ride in joyfully creating a world of story, of character and of heart. Even though it's boring on occasion, was the ride not a little dull at times, being a water ride, the movie is a roller coaster. It takes dip and dives but not enough twirls and spirals to make a terrific memorable film become a classic. Moreover, Johnny Depp's performance is not only iconic, he has defined an image of himself, very rare showing in such case Disney still has got the chops. Expand
  49. May 20, 2014
    This was the fist movie I went to see in the cinema more than once, as far as I can recall.

The plot is eventful and full of twists. I like detailed movies, and here the camera angles, focus, colors, and little tips given with these underline the intent that is not stated in words, but left for the audience to figure out. Sometimes, we see things coming for a long time, but "The Curse of the Black Pearl" manages to surprise nonetheless, time and time again. Witty and sometimes fast-paced, this film is both serious and funny at the same time without ruining one of the two.

Most of the fighting scenes were very entertaining. The characteristics of each person are respectfully regarded, and instead of beating enemies into pulp, there are clever moves that make you sit on the edge of your seat in excitement - while grinning widely, especially if you've seen the film before.

The characters and actors are each their own individuals. The casting is perfect; Johnny Depp as the by-now iconic Captain Jack Sparrow, Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, the hero who has plenty of room to grow and become the man he's meant to be, and Elisabeth Swann (Keira Knightely), who can barely contain herself from becoming who she would really want to be instead of being what she's supposed to be. It's interesting how she's so much more interested in being a pirate than Will is, who has it in his blood (although in the beginning he would have none of that).

Also, it must be said that Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa is born to be a pirate. Convincing and sophisticated while being a total brute... Not many can pull it off.

Many supporting characters just add into the world of the movie, and are very important to it and its spirit. The comic elements draw a lot from these characters, and their chemistry between each other is undeniably funny and thought-provoking.

Little hints to past events are thrown this way and that. Some remain unresolved to the end, and are there to deepen the world of the movie, and to be explored in the following sequels.

All in all, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl", is pretty much a perfect movie. The music, the plot, the characters, and the successful balance between action, mystery and comedy create a movie that sets a standard for the pirate movies to come.
  50. Jan 1, 2013
    The best movie in the Pirates franchise. Johnny Depp is perfect as Jack Sparrow, He really makes the movie imo. Good action, Solid acting by the rest of the cast, and an interesting and original story as well. I would definently recommend it.
  51. May 11, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean: the curse of the black pearl is a hilarious action packed comedy/(kind of) horror. It's brilliant, with great action, humor, horror, good acting, very good special effects for the time that it was made (they'd still be OK if they were in a film made now), and an interesting plot. I'm tempted to give it a ten, you really should watch it if you haven't seen it already!
  52. Jun 11, 2012
    Pirates of the Caribbean looks to be the beginning of a new franchise that millions are going to enjoy, not only for the story, but for the cast and over-the-top action the film provides.
  53. Aug 24, 2014
    Between land and sea, you'll find this to be more than an exciting adventure. If an action-adventure can provide you with ample thrills and laughter, what more do you need?
  54. Dec 9, 2013
    Wonderfully entertaining. The entire concept was portrayed just as you think it would be. Jack Sparrow is one of if not the most amusing character to grace the screen. Excellent!
  55. Jul 4, 2013
    The first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. WillThe first film in the series is unquestionably the best. Jack Sparrow is an excellent character, and really carries the movie. It reminds me of the old Marx Brothers films: if not for Groucho, Chico, and Harpo, they would be bland and nobody would care, but thanks to Jack Sparrow who seems to incorporate the best elements of all three the movie ends up fantastically entertaining. Will Turner may be the protagonist by any helpful analysis of story structure, but Jack is the reason you're watching, and he's well worth it.

The Curse of the Black Pearl has a solid, familiar-yet-surprising story at its heart, that never loses sight of where it's going next. This is part of what makes it good: you can guess roughly where it's going next, and have your expectations confirmed, but there's always some surprise complication waiting for you when you get there, so you're never bored. One of the best Disney movies of the 2000s, and well worth seeing by anyone.
  56. May 26, 2012
    The story starts off at Port Royal. Here, a well-known pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), arrives at the town. He escapes from the governor and the militia but ends up fighting a blacksmith by the name of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). Jack is eventually caught by the militia and is imprisoned. All of a sudden, a ship with black flags, The Black Pearl, comes to the town with aThe story starts off at Port Royal. Here, a well-known pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), arrives at the town. He escapes from the governor and the militia but ends up fighting a blacksmith by the name of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). Jack is eventually caught by the militia and is imprisoned. All of a sudden, a ship with black flags, The Black Pearl, comes to the town with a pirate crew and the captain aboard. The pirates start to pillage the village and eventually Will gets knocked because of all the mayhem. Two other pirates go to the governor's palace to capture his daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Keira Knightley), but what they are really after is something that she possesses, a necklace bearing a gold coin. These pirates capture Elizabeth and Will wants to get her back so he breaks Jack out of his cell and they both set off on a quest to rescue Elizabeth. Though Jack, has intentions of his own which involve the captain of the Black Pearl, Captain Barbosa. Yes, you might have guessed that the story can't be that simple and you're right. It isn't. But what would be the fun if I just told you the whole story? Anyways, this isn't an ordinary pirates story even though it does involve some treasure. The first movie of this series is much better than I really expected it to be. The movie is funny, action-packed, and has a crew of excellent actors and actresses. This movie also has great visuals and a story that clings to you so you can't wait until you see the end. The story for this film is probably the best that Disney has provided for a live-action film so far. When I was watching this film, it didn't feel like a Disney movie at all and I was kind of upset for not keeping up with the series before. I mean, this movie was unlike any other Disney movie I have seen before. It actually had some real action (mostly sword fights) and great actors. I do not think this movie could have been done better. Well, maybe better visuals since we have advanced in that aspect but that's besides the point. Expand
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" has well exceeded my expectations. It's humorous, action-packed and thrilling. Johnny Depp is fantastic as Jack Sparrow. The problem with it is that sometimes focuses too much on humor and forgets the plot.
  58. Jul 7, 2013
    Great action movie. One of the only good series Hollywood has produced in the last 10 years.

I don't know how someone could not like this. Even if its just Triple-A action fluff, its very good at it. This is one of the only "ultimate theatre experiences" along with film franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman (Begins Dark Knight Rises), and Terminator 1 & 2. I'm not sure how, with as few good modern movies as there are, anyone could pick and choose which modern epics they enjoy.
  59. Mar 8, 2013
    The best pirate movie ever made. An instant classic and a masterpiece great for both children and adults!
  60. Dec 23, 2013
    Creepy but not too creepy and it has a perfectly gripping and entertaining story. Depp is great in the lead and the entire cast supports him perfectly. This film is the film that really made pirates interesting again and it is certainly worth a watch.
  61. Nov 22, 2013
    Really well done blockbuster film. Funny, exciting, and good acting, especially from Johnny Depp make this movie extremely entertaining. While it could have been a lot more "badass", I kinda liked that they strayed from that and instead went more family friendly with it. I think it adds a certain tone which really adds to the movie.
  62. Aug 25, 2012
    Just watched the film as it was on TV a few hours ago, already seen it beforehand, but seeing it again let me write this review properly, it was action-packed, hilarious and kept you sitting there watching it without wanting to get up out of your seat. Not to mention the amazing music by Hanz Zimmer.
  63. Sep 12, 2012
    The first real Pirates movie in history! Easily fun, exciting, and intriguing! It brings out the action in you and swordplay. Johnny Depp is truly a great actor, and Will and elizibeth make great couples.
  64. Dec 7, 2015
    Yeah, some of the effects are dated now, but "The Curse Of The Black Pearl's" heart and soul still rings true to this day. Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski accomplish the seemingly impossible - they turn a kitsch-y theme park ride into solid, filmic entertainment.
  65. Feb 9, 2013
    One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Johnny Depp delivers his most memorable performance. It combined comedy, horror, adventure and action flawlessly. This is the only movie where I liked Keira Knightley. Orlando Bloom seemed somewhat off, though. His acting is the only thing that improved over the next two movies. Sadly, the series on a whole turned out to be a one hit wonder.
  66. Sep 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Anything and everything I ever wanted in a pirate movie, all in one place.

Excellent visuals, fantastic performances and gripping story.

Overall:
    I can not fault this movie for anything. I have watched it countless times and will continue to watch it many times more.
  67. Jul 11, 2013
    I'm writing this review after watching The Lone Ranger. I think the amount of time and dip in quality in between the first Pirates movie and The Lone Ranger really solidifies my opinion on the general decay of Hollywood. I have a limited amount of hope for Pirates 5.
  68. Feb 9, 2013
    The original movie is definitely the best of the series due to it having better pacing, a greater balance of comedy and action and the best performances the actors.
  69. Dec 21, 2015
    I can't believe i forgot to review this saga!! I remember the first time i watched "Pirates of the carribean" with my dad. This is without any doubt, the best pirate movie saga yet! I personally like the other part a bit more, but overall i don't think you should miss any of the series!
  70. Mar 20, 2013
    I like very much how john depp plays the play of the very claver and sometimes stupid pirat who likes very much girls, action and the most of all he loves alchohol an at all he is very funny and he makes movie very funny and it i great comedy. I like very much and of this action,comedy and most at all adveanture movie becose i like very muc how the pirates in the end determined thet thisI like very much how john depp plays the play of the very claver and sometimes stupid pirat who likes very much girls, action and the most of all he loves alchohol an at all he is very funny and he makes movie very funny and it i great comedy. I like very much and of this action,comedy and most at all adveanture movie becose i like very muc how the pirates in the end determined thet this girl elizabeth (keira knightley) is not a girl of a pirat and then comes a jack sparrow and will turner (orlando bloom) and jack sparrow fight with barbossa and at same time when jack sparrow shot barbossa in the hart will turner whes father was a pirat give bood to the coins and barbossa dies. Expand
  71. Feb 26, 2015
    Sensacional!!!!,Com um brilhante roteiro escrito por Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,Piratas Do Caribe é uma excelente aventura. Com clássicas cenas de ações,memoráveis falas,e brilhantes atuações de Johnny Depp e Geoffrey Rush,Johnny Depp na sua singular e inédita atuação montou um personagem inesquecível e amado por toda a terra Jack Sparrow desculpe Capitão Jack Sparrow,e Geoffrey Rush éSensacional!!!!,Com um brilhante roteiro escrito por Ted Elliot e Terry Rossio,Piratas Do Caribe é uma excelente aventura. Com clássicas cenas de ações,memoráveis falas,e brilhantes atuações de Johnny Depp e Geoffrey Rush,Johnny Depp na sua singular e inédita atuação montou um personagem inesquecível e amado por toda a terra Jack Sparrow desculpe Capitão Jack Sparrow,e Geoffrey Rush é genial como o antagonista Hector Barbossa Capitão Barbossa,Uma ótima história com muito humor. Merecidamente digno de fantásticas sequências e uma franquia de super sucesso comercial. Expand
  72. Aug 30, 2013
    Simply one of the best movies ever made!! Very suspenseful!!! Very very very very good!!! A huge well done to Gore Verbinski, his crew and all the actors of that picture.
  73. Jul 14, 2013
    This film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over itThis film is a film that caught everyone off guard- no one expected a Pirate film to be this epic and amazing! The film has a surprisingly well written and witty script, a fantastic and perfect performance by Johnny Depp, awesome action sequences, classic and awesome music (Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer do spectacular) and the visuals are epic. This film has classic written all over it and is one of the best adventure films ever made, Disney rarely disappoints lads and lasses. Expand
  74. Feb 6, 2014
    This is a movie that's got everything from an exceptional story, wonderful music, fantasy, humor & action to great special effects, and the most important thing: the actors are awesome in this movie! This movie got so many unique things that you haven't seen before, & combined with eventful scenes, is this movie awesome.
    The beginning however, could have been more eventful maybe, because
    The beginning however, could have been more eventful maybe, because it felt a little boring, and it took a while for the movie to start. Another bad thing about this movie is that it's a little boring at some places, and that they could have done more spectacular things, but that doesn't matter actually, because this is a stunning & awesome movie with real action that you can watch over and over.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl gets a 8/10
  75. Aug 15, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. It still remains to be one of the best movies that I have ever seen, even though it has been 10 years since I first saw it. Highly recommended.
  76. Oct 26, 2013
    The film brings and opens an eclectic version of the well known swashbuckler genre; a light-hearted, and amusing version with a hilarious Depp as the sardonic and metaphorical Jack Sparrow, and everyone else seems to be weaved into the plot. Bloom and Knightley make a poignant melodramatic piece to the film. It's authentic as it is ludicrous.
  77. Sep 19, 2013
    The movie itself is very good, but it is the score that brings it to life and steps it up to the next level. Everyone knows the Pirates of the Caribbean theme, and Hans Zimmer is a master at movie scores. With exciting action to witness and a great score to hum along to, you can't go wrong with this movie.
  78. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved it. It had dark moments, especially for a Disney movie. Plus it had extremely great humor from Johnny Depp, which added to the excitingly fun movie.
  79. May 24, 2014
    To cut it short, this movie would be a great adventure and pirate movie with every possible quality if it didn't try to cram every single scene with comic relief.

Now I like comic relief and I understand this is a Disney movie, but when Jack Sparrow is having his epic final battle with Barbossa and everything hangs in the balance of that fight, interrupting it several times to see the governor batting a skeletal forearm like a wuss and seeing a pirate chase after his glass eye amidst the fighting in a tom-and-jerry kind of comedy is the last thing I want to see.

The overabundance of misplaced comic relief brings a solid 8 or maybe 9/10 to a 6 or 7 at best.
  80. Apr 13, 2014
    The first installment of the POTC Movie franchise is a very fun and very enjoyable film to watch. It has a fun and enjoyable cast of characters, a good story and some cool atmospheres. Another thing about this film is that I like all the references this film makes to the Disneyland attraction it was based off making this seem like a good "tribute" film in a way. One thing I will say aboutThe first installment of the POTC Movie franchise is a very fun and very enjoyable film to watch. It has a fun and enjoyable cast of characters, a good story and some cool atmospheres. Another thing about this film is that I like all the references this film makes to the Disneyland attraction it was based off making this seem like a good "tribute" film in a way. One thing I will say about this film, however, is the action and fighting scenes is a little repetitive in a way, but over all it was mostly good. POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a very good film that no one should miss out on. I'd recommend it. Expand
  81. Jan 31, 2015
    "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" is undeniably a fun film. The action is entertaining, the story is not engaging but it will keep you entertained and Johnny Depp's performance is witty at best.

I'm gonna give this movie a solid 7/10.
  82. Oct 18, 2014
    For the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), the crystalline waters if the Caribbean present a vast playground where adventure and mystery abound. But Jack's idyllic pirate life capsizes after his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Rush), steals his ship, the Black Pearl, and kidnaps the Governor's (Pryce) beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Swann (Knightley).
  83. Dec 30, 2014
    it's a simple yet amazing movie. it had simple plot of ghost story based around pirate mythology with great actors, soundtrack, and cinematography. it has great charm to it that i think is missing from a lot of films like this and i think that comes from it's characters. it's my favourite disney movie and i hope future movies with replicate what made it great
  84. Feb 27, 2015
    Divertida, oscura, repleta de acción, efectos especiales y buenas actuaciones, La primera parte tiene un toque mas serio que sus próximas secuelas, pero aun así, es una excelente pelicula.
  85. Jan 11, 2015
    While I was originally skeptical about the film, the first installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean series will leave you wanting for more fast-paced adventures with Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa.
  86. Jan 24, 2015
    Pirates of the Caribbean im not sure is that a good movie or a bad but its definitely something that's never made before in the film industry there are not many movies with pirates specially a mad pirates like Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp).The movie take you to an advanture that you can not only see you can even feel it with every minute of the movie .They are so many aspects of the movie wePirates of the Caribbean im not sure is that a good movie or a bad but its definitely something that's never made before in the film industry there are not many movies with pirates specially a mad pirates like Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp).The movie take you to an advanture that you can not only see you can even feel it with every minute of the movie .They are so many aspects of the movie we have two lovers the blacksmith Orlando Bloom and the outstanding Keira Knightley in role of daughter of the governer Who are trying to gather but the circumstances don't allow that so easly .We have cursed captain Barbosa who is trying to broke the curse and he will not stop until he do it even if that mean to destroy the hole England army of port Royal.The movie is what exactly have to be an ADVENTURE and is there a better adventure than this with crazy pirate played by Jhonny Dep . Expand
  87. Nov 22, 2015
    I have always liked the idea of being a pirate or having those sword fights, and it certainly is enjoyable to watch in this movie. Every single thing. Acting, scenes and storytelling is made well and carefully.
  88. Mar 16, 2015
    One of the best films of last decade. The action is great, the plot is clear (unlike the other movies in the series), and the acting was great. Oh, and it's funny too!
  89. Apr 23, 2015
    For those taking a global view of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it's very easy to be cynical. This is, after all, cross-promotion at its most blatant. What could be more marketable that one of Disney's most popular theme park attractions? The name recognition is already in place - all that's necessary to complete the puzzle is a story that will fit the ride. ButFor those taking a global view of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it's very easy to be cynical. This is, after all, cross-promotion at its most blatant. What could be more marketable that one of Disney's most popular theme park attractions? The name recognition is already in place - all that's necessary to complete the puzzle is a story that will fit the ride. But there are two reasons why jaded ranting isn't the best way to proceed with this review. In the first place, no one really cares. And, more importantly, this is actually an entertaining experience.

Pirates of the Caribbean is good, but not great. Swashbuckling adventures are few and far between these days, so it's a pleasant surprise to see one that is competently made. To add to the enjoyment, the movie never takes itself too seriously. If there wasn't so much action, it would be tempting to classify the production as a comedy. Alas, Pirates of the Caribbean runs for a good 30 minutes too long (the protracted battles with the undead, who cannot be killed, become repetitive), and the denouement is on the weak side. Taken as a whole, however, the movie represents solid fun. A word of caution to parents, however: the PG-13 rating is an indicator that certain elements of the movie are not for younger children. Proceed carefully with sensitive under-11 children.

As was true with director Gore Verbinski's previous outing, The Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean oozes atmosphere. The humor keeps it from becoming too creepy, but there are still a few chills to be had. I was in some ways reminded of Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness, where there were lots of skeletons marching around, some of which were acting like the Three Stooges. Verbinski gets huge assists from cinematographer Dariusz Wolski and composer Klaus Badelt, who is responsible for one of 2003's few memorable musical scores. And, of course, we get to hear a few refrains of the memorable Pirates of the Caribbean anthem: "Yo ho! Yo ho! A pirate's life for me!"

Pirates of the Caribbean belongs to Johnny Depp. Keira Knightley (now a familiar face in the wake of Bend It Like Beckham) and Orlando Bloom (The Lord of the Rings' Legolas, sans ears and blond hair) make a cute couple, and Geoffrey Rush is typically over-the-top as the bad guy, but the star of every scene is Depp. With several gold teeth in his mouth and beads in his hair, Depp plays the part with an engaging goofiness that sets the movie's tone. In one scene, Sparrow becomes blind drunk, but his behavior isn't all that different from when he's sober - a clear indicator of where Depp elected to take the character. Sparrow is a rogue through-and-through, and, although he may have a heart of gold, it's definitely tarnished. Take away Depp, and you're left with a derivative and dull motion picture.

As is mandated by the first rule of summer movies - sustain the action - Pirates of the Caribbean is wall-to-wall battles, chases, and fights. The only pauses are those necessitated by the need to advance the plot through exposition. There's lots of swordplay, including a lengthy and memorable struggle between Sparrow and Will. It's probably the best example of cinematic swordfighting since The Mask of Zorro. (It doesn't come close to the clash between Wesley and Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride. In that movie, the actors did their own fencing. Here, it's clear from the obscuring camera angles that stunt performers were involved.) For those who are familiar with the amusement park attraction, most of the key scenes are included (although the hairy leg is missing), emphasizing the movie's tie-in nature.
  90. Apr 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is hard to believe that such an action packed, comedic movie could be based of nothing but an amusement park ride.
    Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), a drunken, witty pirate comes to Port Royal in hopes to steal a ship. In a twist of events including a corset that was much too tight, he ends up saving the governors daughter, Elizabeth Swan (Keira Knightley). However when the guards realize he is a pirate, he is sentenced to go to jail, which he does after a sword fight with the local blacksmith, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom). Soon after his arrest, the crew of the Black Pearl attack the city, in search of the last piece of cursed Aztec Gold and kidnap Elizabeth seeing she was in possession of said gold. Will, being in love with Elizabeth breaks Jack out of prison to track down the crew of the Black Pearl and save Elizabeth. However, because of this gold the crew is immortal, living with starvation and thirst, never being able to quench it but never being able to die.
    Gore Verbinski, the brilliant director of this film, is one of the few people who may combine an action packed movie full of pirates, sword swinging, guns with one bullet, comedy and a love story all in one magnificent film. The screenwriters did an excellent job in making Jack Sparrows character a perfect combination of complete madness and a brilliant genius. Johnny Depp himself did a wonderful job in properly understanding his role and executing it better than anyone could expect or hope for. The entire cast was perfect for the characters they were meant to play down to the way they talked and held themselves. Of course no one would speak as the pirates did in real life, however, their talk was perfect for this film. Verbinski did an excellent job with including realistic battle scenes and shots of the Black Pearl from far away making it seem dangerous and unpredictable right before it attacked. The soundtrack for the movie, made by Klaus Badelt, is memorable and adds a certain pirate and fun quality to the film making it somehow even more enjoyable. It is surprising that even with so much going on in the movie, Verbinski pulled off giving it a well structured and balanced plot and making the movie able to pull of every scene, twist and detail all in less than 2 and a half hours. 8.5/10
  91. Jul 8, 2015
    Great start to the series with jack sparrow at his best and some very memorable lines and scenes and even with this film being quiet violent it still has its funny moments.
  92. Sep 9, 2015
    This is a very good film. You might be skeptical of a movie based on a theme park ride but this movie will surprise you. Johnny Depp is brilliant as Jack Sparrow, one of his best roles in my opinion. Of course, it's rather dark and violent for a Disney movie but you can't expect them to do the same thing all the time. I'd definitely recommend this, it's a very good movie.
  93. Mar 27, 2016
    super fun and funny and pretty enjoyable......................................................................................................,...............
  94. Apr 18, 2016
    This pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion andThis pirate adventure tells the story about Jack Sparrow, who meets a young woman named Elizabeth Swann after saving her life. One night, with the gold medallion she carries around her neck, she gets captured by the pirates aboard the Black Pearl by the evil Barbossa who is using her to get the cave to find the treasure. However, the whole pirate crew is immortal due to the medallion and can turn into skeletons. With the help of a young man named Will Turner, Jack and his other crew members plan to save Elizabeth and put an end to Barbossa's reign once and for all.

Wow. I was thrilled when I caught the screening of this in July of 2003 that I have one word to say about it and the word is: FANTASTIC!!! Johnny Depp was very hilarious as Jack Sparrow and he was a very good actor. Orlando Bloom (for some reason, was in the third LOTR movie, which came out at the exact same year this movie did) did very well as Will Turner, Kiera Knightley (from King Arthur) was so cool as Elizabeth Swann and she was so freaking hot! Geoffrey Rush was very frightening, yet entertaining as Captain Barbossa and the rest of the actors did very well at their performances.

The CGI was pretty cool and even the action scenes were so cool. The storyline was well-paced and the cinematography was great.

There is nothing negative to say about this film, so I am in good hands.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an excellent Disney pirate adventure based on the popular ride from DisneyWorld and one of the best movies ever made from the early 2000s.
  95. Jan 5, 2016
    I'm not a fan of pirate movies, but I got to admit it... this one did 'pirate' enough to say "Arr!" and basically the best in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
  96. Mar 24, 2016
    Pirates of the Caribbean is a totally different pirate movie, which is actually what makes this movie good. While the plot seems kinda dumb, its humor, characters, and overall thrill makes this a interesting touch.
  97. Feb 13, 2016
    Best pirates of the Caribbean movie of all time. Loved the supernatural element they added to this movie. Captain Barbarossa was a very good villain and one of the best villain performances of this century. Also this was johnny Depp's best performance he has ever given. He was so funny random and just pure jot to watch. I swear there is nothing wrong with this movie. It's prefect in everyBest pirates of the Caribbean movie of all time. Loved the supernatural element they added to this movie. Captain Barbarossa was a very good villain and one of the best villain performances of this century. Also this was johnny Depp's best performance he has ever given. He was so funny random and just pure jot to watch. I swear there is nothing wrong with this movie. It's prefect in every single way. The locations are great the action scenes are fantastic and this movie is definitively one of my top ten favorite movies of all time. Expand
  98. Mar 31, 2016
    One would think it's a curse to have to transform a theme park attraction into a summer cinematic spectacle, but shiver me timbers, the only hex that burdens Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is its unwieldy title. This rollicking adventure from director Gore Verbinski is in love with the sights and sounds of pirate movie tropes—sailors swinging from shipOne would think it's a curse to have to transform a theme park attraction into a summer cinematic spectacle, but shiver me timbers, the only hex that burdens Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is its unwieldy title. This rollicking adventure from director Gore Verbinski is in love with the sights and sounds of pirate movie tropes—sailors swinging from ship ropes, sword fights, cannon balls flying through the air, glistening pirate bounty—and benefits immensely from both the filmmaker's successful fusion of arch comedy, swashbuckling action, mild horror (a trick neither his execrable The Mexican, nor his leaden The Ring, could pull off), and his willingness to let Johnny Depp overact his heart out.

Depp, dressed up in a variety of colorful scarves that only partially contain his unruly tangle of dreadlocks and beaded hair, plays infamous pirate rascal Captain Jack Sparrow with limp wrists, a prancing gait, and a lilting British drawl that turns every “th” sound into an “f.” An androgynous king of the high seas, Sparrow is a gracefully asexual fop who, by embodying both feminine prettiness and masculine brashness, seems well aware of how to bend it like Beckham. Flashing his gold-toothed smile with a roguish delight that playfully hints at the naughtiness being concocted inside his scraggly head, Depp commands the screen so forcefully that it's difficult to sustain interest in the film when he's not front and center. During such lulls, one is forced to contend with the de facto love story between blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and governor's daughter Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), who is kidnapped by the undead crew of the legendary Black Pearl for possessing a piece of their cursed gold. Swann's abduction and Turner's quest to save her (which involves enlisting Sparrow's help) is the plot's catalyst, but since Pirates' greatest asset is Depp's uninhibited antics, things tend to drag when the puckish Sparrow is confined to mere supporting player.

Bloom does an admirable job looking like a mini-Errol Flynn, and Knightley's delicate features clash winningly with her character's unladylike feistiness, but both are regularly upstaged by Depp, Geoffrey Rush as the decrepit Captain Barbossa, and a gaggle of peripheral characters (pirates and British alike) who contribute to the richness of Verbinski's theme park-inspired tapestry. Narrative repetition muddles up the film's second act, in which the adventurers find themselves visiting, and then revisiting, the same locales and skirmishes, but the occasionally monotonous escapades are bolstered by some playful Harryhausen-esque CGI villains—the Black Pearl's pirates, when caught in a blade of moonlight, are revealed to be walking, talking skeletons—and the director's eagerness to embrace, while slyly poking fun at, the hoary clichés his film must dutifully adhere to. Like the hidden stash of Caribbean rum that Sparrow and Swann enjoy after being stranded on a remote island by the dastardly Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is an intoxicating delight that abounds with woozy charm and delectable spiciness.
  99. Apr 4, 2016
    The action comedy "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" raises one of the most overlooked and important cinematic questions of our time: Can a movie maintain the dramatic integrity of a theme park ride?

In this case the answer is — sure. The director Gore Verbinski's penchant for logistics — combined with the producer Jerry Bruckheimer's desire to spend like a drunken pirate when it comes to putting everything on screen — melts into an often frenetic, colorful and entertaining comic adventure that often seems to be using "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" as a template. The dazzling, high-flying silliness is quite an achievement. The movie is better than it deserves to be, given its origins: a ride at Disneyland and Disney World.

Mr. Verbinski's staging is as vertiginous as an amusement park ride and places the wiry and beauteous tomboy Keira Knightley at the center. Her physical assurance suggests what Nicole Kidman might be like if she didn't spend so much time coughing tragically into handkerchiefs in an equally tragic pursuit of important roles.

Ms. Knightley is Elizabeth Swann, owner of a medallion that gets the plot going a scant hour into "Pirates." This trinket is first seen in a prologue sequence, in which little Elizabeth steals it from an equally young Will Turner. She has also stolen (sigh) his heart, as Will (Orlando Bloom) grows up to be a stalwart blacksmith — and more than able swordsman — who nurtures a secret crush on her. Ms. Knightley is strident and confident in her movement, an ability that makes her all the sexier and alluring, which is fortunate, given that her acting skills aren't quite as devastating as her looks.

The movie belongs to Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow the pirate, a rapscallion who's as woozy as someone who has endured much too much time on a roller coaster. Mr. Depp doesn't get the opportunity to display his gift for comedy often, and his mellow, dizzied underplaying here is a balm, an antidote to the raucous battles and swashbuckling.

Gargling his consonants before spitting them out, Mr. Depp's pirate suggests a man who has spent either a great deal of time with Keith Richards after a tour of the Rebel Yell factory, or a man who has spent a great deal of time watching Mike Myers do his Keith Richards impression. Either way, festooned with dreadlocks and braids in his hair and beard, and wearing enough industrial-strength mascara to indicate that Captain Jack was probably influenced by another King of the Wild Frontier — Adam Ant — Mr. Depp offers a ratty, bedeviled turn that keeps the picture in motion during that extended period when there's not much plot involved.

But when this protracted state of narrative lassitude suddenly shifts, "Pirates" brings in enough story line for several movies. And in the words of Bart Simpson, it takes a knife-wielding maniac to show us the way: in this case it's the entrance of the pirate Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush, who's nearly as game — and gamy — as Mr. Depp).

He kidnaps Elizabeth because of the medallion. (There's a side benefit. "She's the governor's daughter," one of Barbossa's hearties cackles.) The medallion turns out to be an enchanted piece of gold, which, with the blood of a special someone, can free Barbossa and his swabbies from their curse: they're the larcenous undead whose skeletons can be seen in the moonlight at night.

In addition Barbossa now commands the swift, capable ship the Black Pearl, which he seized from Jack Sparrow in a mutiny, after which he left Sparrow to die. Seeking revenge, Sparrow steals a ship and finds a new crew of his own, including Will, to pursue Barbossa.

There are plenty of salty, fatty moments in "Pirates" among the clearly staged fighting and rum-flavored comedy provided by Mr. Depp, Mr. Rush and the rest of the cast, including Jonathan Pryce as Elizabeth's craven, officious governor father. It's a hip slice of summer ham.

Mr. Verbinski swings his stylistic flourishes, which compel him to turn most interiors into haunted houses for their joke potential, and this notion gives the movie a deliriously antic air. Hilariously, every time the Black Pearl sails into view, an ominous cloud swirls around it, even in beautiful daylight. It's as if Barbossa carries his menacing mystique with him wherever he goes.

This is one of the few films that could justify use of a term that should never be used in describing a movie — a thrill ride — since it is, after all, based on one. Mr. Verbinski especially uses the scene in which Elizabeth discovers exactly what her captors want, in which she's thrown and shoved as if she were being slammed around on a roller coaster, to remind us of this.

Eventually it crams in so much plot information that there's an unwieldy surfeit of narrative treasure: it's bootylicious.

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.