5.2

1. Sep 28, 2011
    Although I agree about the dazzling visuals, Tim Burton certainly DID NOT spend his time wisely on the script or direction when making "Planet of the Apes".
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    The first act was great - incredible makeup, and fascinating story watching the apes' lifestyle. However, the film loses speed near the middle and ends up turning into a pretty uninvolving road movie with many boring and useless characters, particularly the human love interest, played by Estella Warren, who has like four lines of dialogue. However, Burton deserves credit for not making a direct remake of the 1968 original, instead creating his own vision. I did like the slow revelation to what the planet of the apes is (not exactly what you'd expect, those who have seen the original), and the unexplained but fabulous twist ending. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    It was a lot better then I expected for a Tim Burton film. While it wasnt as good as the originals, I still thought it was interesting and good enough to sit through it.
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Are you kidding ? Here we venture deep, deep into B-movie territory, with everything from the CGI to the acting to the makeup being plain...ridiculous ! The old and the young apes are really unbelievably, flabbergastingly unwatchable. This is moviemaking at its worst ! I swear one of the monkeys looks like Prince !
  5. Apr 3, 2012
    Planet of the Apes isn't a fantastic movie and certainly has the faint whiff of 'wasted opportunity' hanging about it. It is, however, a very solid yet throwaway popcorn flick that entertains with great costume design and goofy action. Tim Roth is also really good in his role as General Thade. Still... could have been much better.
  6. Feb 11, 2012
    This mediocre piece of film making is one of, if not the worst remake of all time. Over the top acting, a boring and predictable plot as well as some freakishly realistic makeup make this one definitely worth avoiding. The original will always remain the classic.
  7. Aug 7, 2011
    i liked this movie! was it better than the rise of the planet of the apes NO! and there not that relate-able. everyone says its not that good and they just hate on it for no reason. i saw it and i enjoyed it... the apes look really good for just make up and other stuff. the acting was good. Mark Walhberg is always! good if hes in a bad movie its not hes fault! the ending was awesome because it makes u think? although it is a bit trippy and weird it was amazing. i have not seen the original, and i probably wont. but this movie is good. people just hate for no reason. losers! Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2011
    Exciting! A very delicate story with a best cast, especially Mark Wahlberg's performance in the film. This was WAY better than the 1968 film. There needs to be a sequel to see what happens after what happens in the end of the film.
  9. Dec 19, 2011
    Actually wasnt that bad. It was interesting through out and worth the watch but the acting was far below what I expected from such an experianced cast. Tim Burton once again shows why he is my least favorite director by ruining the potential of this remake/reboot. I agree with the others when they say the visuals were good but the script was terrible. It also didnt help that they did such a poor job explaining things. Still besides all this, It wasnt all that bad. Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    Honestly, Wasn't that bad of a movie. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and the action scenes were alright. Certainly lacked a plot and the acting, despite having a strong cast, wasn't that good either. Still enjoyabe to watch, I liked it.
  11. Feb 10, 2013
    Planet of the Apes is so shallow, covered with idiocy, and actors acting worse than monkeys. Tim Burton has disgraced the original and hurt is reputation.
  12. Feb 1, 2013
    It would take a man like Tim Burton to grossly misconceive an over-budgeted remake like PLANET OF THE APES. This special effects spectacle looks great on screen, but lacks the character and intelligence of the original. As a result, APES was a commercial success, but a critical failure. Astronaut Leo Davidson is thrust through time to find himself trapped on a world ruled by apes. After a planned escape, Davidson becomes the unexpected hero in a human revolt against the apes! The only real hero in PLANET OF THE APES is seven-time Oscar winner Rick Baker for his phenomenal make-up designs, which bring the apes to life in a wide array of different shapes and sizes. The apes simply look incredible, but unfortunately, the appliances hinder the performances of the actors, and often cause them to stumble through their lines. This is not the case for Helena Bonham Carter, who prefers to whisper incoherently, or Tim Roth, who just spits his vile contempt for humanity like venom. Where screenwriter William Broyles Jr. makes his biggest mistake is in allowing all humans to have the capacity of speech, which completely destroys the impact of Davidson's arrival on the planet. There can be no questioning of ape ethics or breakdown in ape philosophy if the lead character is no different than the humans that already exist on the planet. Coupled with Mark Wahlberg's stagnant performance, PLANET OF THE APES misses the point entirely. What is left is an entertaining but empty space epic that will be long forgotten in the years to come. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie to be disappointing, I am a fan of the original movies and this was not as good as the original movie. The costumes were good but the story was not as good as the original movie. It was just okay, so I'm giving it a 6/10 for a mediocre movie.

BTW: I saw this in the theater and at the part when he ends up in front of the Lincoln Memorial it was so tempting but I really had to refrain from yelling out "It's APEraham Lincoln!!!"
  14. Feb 16, 2013
    Remake no solo correcto sinó innovador, con un redoble de tuerca. Guapo Mark Whalberg. Simios muy bien caracterizados. Doble historia de amor. Necesaria para todo friki.
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    Terrible script mixed with a very ugly looking quality, Planet of the Apes is just a full blown mess. Mark Wahlberg does his best, but unfortunately the lack of fun brings this movie down.
  16. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the first remake I watched that I clearly knew that it was made only for profit, it wasn't the first remake I saw, but it was one of the worst ones I watched so far. First of all this is a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time, so that's a check for me. It is made by Tim Burton so there was some hope for pleasing visuals and interesting dark storytelling. I got one of those aspects, this movie is great to look at; much like how the Bayformers are great to look at, but is yet lacking in any depth. there's also a big name star; I think, in the leading role, who I can say safely I don't care about. Okay so I don't like the main character, this isn't going so well. I can say at least that the costuming in this film is very good, I might consider it better than the original, but that alone doesn't make up for this film has done. First of all, why do the apes jump so damn high? I never knew apes as such aerodynamic creatures, whenever I see the bad guy; I don't care who his real name is, jump around like the Cocoa puffs bird, it makes the realistic makeup loose all of its effect. The climax is so cliché, of course it is fun to watch like I say repeatedly, and i feel like the end to that climax is really unsatisfying. The ending is by far one of the most stupidest of all time, it's no where near as clever and dark as the original. That about wraps it, and all there is to this flick is some good visuals and jumping apes. Expand
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    Planet of the apes is a intriguing universe filled with excitement and believe it or not apes! Apart from the lack of character chemistry it is made even by the different personalities. This movie has some impressive set, apes and CGI that really bring the movie to life. Apart from the confusing plot twist you and in for one hell of a ride.

Burton's made a film that's respectful to the original, and respectable in itself, but that's not enough. Ten years from now, it will be the 1968 version that people are still renting.
    With the exception of a battle scene with apes on all fours charging the humans, the film is monumentally silly.
    When Mr. Burton's "Planet" fixes on being entertaining...it succeeds. But the picture states its social points so bluntly that it becomes slow-witted and condescending; it treats the audience as pets.