4.9

1. Aug 28, 2013
    A very cheesy romance movie with King Leonidas as the main who's name I have already forgotten. Every cast member acts terribly and not a one point in the movie was I even the slightest bit interesting. Playing For Keeps is a boring soppy romance which women and men will hate.
  2. Apr 22, 2013
    Football films and cinema have never really meshed, they just don't translate well. To combat this Playing for Keeps keeps to the sidelines, looking at the supporters and the kids inspired by the game. However judging by the film I just watched, it's surprising that any part of the sport is inspiring, especially for the kids.
    George (Gerard Butler plays a screw up ex footballer who is
    perpetually feeling sorry for himself. When he is forced to coach his sons team by his ex wife Stacie (jessica Biel) he is given an opportunity to prove himself the man he thinks he is, not the child everyone else does.
    Now I know the word reprehensible is a little extreme but this film really is. I mean it doesn't compare to the horror of Die Hard 5 but Playing for Keeps is dreadful none the less. The script is awful, the characters interact in the most unnatural ways, the women behave like neanderthals for comedy's sake and rarely eliciting more than a chuckle. Bulter is a likable idiot but he only really entertains when playing the game and not talking. Dennis Quaid pops in and out of the film to annoy the viewer with his over the top business man father, a slimebag who is more alien than human. Biel is actually surprisingly good for once in her career but she can't stop the ship from sinking. In fact there are few acting problems, except for Quaid and Uma Thurman, whose shrillness makes her scenes unbearable. The problem is that the film has no direction,a message it never convincingly delivers and because of this, Playing for Keeps is nowhere near the inspirational story of a mans comeback into something so unbearably crass. Overall the film gives you characters you don't like, sets a tone that makes you think Farelly brothers instead of touching family drama and fails to convey why the game is so important to George and the kids that he coaches and fails to inspire.
  3. Dec 28, 2012
    I want to punch Dennis Quaid in his **** face. Don't go and see this stupid piece of trash. Stay home and finger your anus or something, it would be far more entertaining than this.
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    Watching YouTube videos of people vomiting is a better use of digital media, and with better acting. I stayed through the whole film as a measure of endurance. Apparently, I have a high threshold for pain. Good to know. This movie makes me wonder if the acting and production staff know just how terrible the movie is during filming. I feel sorry for the post production people who had to watch this flop over and over to get the editing and sound correct. They are the true heroes. My hats off to you, you aren't paid enough. Collapse
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    Image This reviewer is a sucker for romantic comedies and even more of a pushover for
  6. Dec 7, 2012
    OMG if you loved GIGLI you might like this! (Vomits in the corner)...BOO! More crap from Hollywood. The money would have been better spent on underprivileged kids soccer camp.

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jan 11, 2013
    Playing For Keeps is awful – and not in a hilarious Ed Wood way.
  2. Reviewed by: A. A. Dowd
    Dec 11, 2012
    Husbands and fathers, do not try this sh-- at home. Such "lovable" misbehavior is best left to the professional cads.
  3. Reviewed by: Melissa Anderson
    Dec 10, 2012
    Yet it's not entirely forgettable. I'll long be haunted by Dennis Quaid's manic performance as a palm-greasing dad who seems to be under the influence of bath salts-tweaked-out acting that matches the camera movements.