FilmDistrict | Release Date: December 7, 2012
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 40 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Playing for Keeps" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

"Playing for Keeps" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: While Gerard Butler hasn't had a great track record with me as of late, he wasn't the problem here. In fact, he did a pretty good job with what little he had to work with. The film starts off with promise.

The Bad: Everyone not named Gerard Butler was dreadful. Biel, Thurman, Zeta-Jones, and Quaid all have solid reps, yet were stiff and terrible in this. The film itself becomes predictable and everyone in the film comes across as a complete idiot, especially the women. Poorly written and a complete waste of time.
python2000Aug 28, 2013
A very cheesy romance movie with King Leonidas as the main who's name I have already forgotten. Every cast member acts terribly and not a one point in the movie was I even the slightest bit interesting. Playing For Keeps is a boring soppyA very cheesy romance movie with King Leonidas as the main who's name I have already forgotten. Every cast member acts terribly and not a one point in the movie was I even the slightest bit interesting. Playing For Keeps is a boring soppy romance which women and men will hate. Expand
hoops2448Apr 22, 2013
Football films and cinema have never really meshed, they just don't translate well. To combat this Playing for Keeps keeps to the sidelines, looking at the supporters and the kids inspired by the game. However judging by the film I justFootball films and cinema have never really meshed, they just don't translate well. To combat this Playing for Keeps keeps to the sidelines, looking at the supporters and the kids inspired by the game. However judging by the film I just watched, it's surprising that any part of the sport is inspiring, especially for the kids.
George (Gerard Butler plays a screw up ex footballer who is perpetually feeling sorry for himself. When he is forced to coach his sons team by his ex wife Stacie (jessica Biel) he is given an opportunity to prove himself the man he thinks he is, not the child everyone else does.
Now I know the word reprehensible is a little extreme but this film really is. I mean it doesn't compare to the horror of Die Hard 5 but Playing for Keeps is dreadful none the less. The script is awful, the characters interact in the most unnatural ways, the women behave like neanderthals for comedy's sake and rarely eliciting more than a chuckle. Bulter is a likable idiot but he only really entertains when playing the game and not talking. Dennis Quaid pops in and out of the film to annoy the viewer with his over the top business man father, a slimebag who is more alien than human. Biel is actually surprisingly good for once in her career but she can't stop the ship from sinking. In fact there are few acting problems, except for Quaid and Uma Thurman, whose shrillness makes her scenes unbearable. The problem is that the film has no direction,a message it never convincingly delivers and because of this, Playing for Keeps is nowhere near the inspirational story of a mans comeback into something so unbearably crass. Overall the film gives you characters you don't like, sets a tone that makes you think Farelly brothers instead of touching family drama and fails to convey why the game is so important to George and the kids that he coaches and fails to inspire.
DominosDec 28, 2012
I want to punch Dennis Quaid in his **** face. Don't go and see this stupid piece of trash. Stay home and finger your anus or something, it would be far more entertaining than this.
OroiaelDec 9, 2012
Watching YouTube videos of people vomiting is a better use of digital media, and with better acting. I stayed through the whole film as a measure of endurance. Apparently, I have a high threshold for pain. Good to know. This movie makes meWatching YouTube videos of people vomiting is a better use of digital media, and with better acting. I stayed through the whole film as a measure of endurance. Apparently, I have a high threshold for pain. Good to know. This movie makes me wonder if the acting and production staff know just how terrible the movie is during filming. I feel sorry for the post production people who had to watch this flop over and over to get the editing and sound correct. They are the true heroes. My hats off to you, you aren't paid enough. Expand
GreatMartinDec 7, 2012
Image This reviewer is a sucker for romantic comedies and even more of a pushover for
CountryPetInnDec 7, 2012
OMG if you loved GIGLI you might like this! (Vomits in the corner)...BOO! More crap from Hollywood. The money would have been better spent on underprivileged kids soccer camp.