FilmDistrict | Release Date: December 7, 2012
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 40 Ratings
WATCH NOW
lukechristianscNov 30, 2015
Predictable and lazy, the script by Robbie Fox (In The Army Now) is shiftless, basically what Fox is cramming this crap in and expecting people will love the cliche's, but the actors make this crappy script work they bring so much charismaPredictable and lazy, the script by Robbie Fox (In The Army Now) is shiftless, basically what Fox is cramming this crap in and expecting people will love the cliche's, but the actors make this crappy script work they bring so much charisma into it, overall it's a heartwarming fun little tale about teamwork and family. Director Gabriele Muccino the director of Pursuit of Happyness which won an Oscar, is directing this mess and the directing is terrible; and what's the point of casting these talented people in this movie when they have nothing to do in this movie? I have no idea. The good times as a soccer play are over for George Dryer (played by Gerard Butler) is struggling financially and life, also struggling to reconcile with his ex-wife Stacey (Jessica Biel) and his young son (Noah Lomax). Lewis' soccer team isn't doing to well, so when they need a coach George steps up. Not only do the kids love him, the Milfs love him too. Butler stars in another dreadful film, but he does a good though, despite a cheap script and terrible direction, it's heartwarming. 2.5 out of 4 stars Expand
GreatMartinDec 7, 2012
Image This reviewer is a sucker for romantic comedies and even more of a pushover for
Bruce722Aug 15, 2013
The fact that Playing For Keeps received such poor reviews doesn't surprise me because movie critics are some of the most closed minded individuals on the planet and this movie doesn't fit into one of their predetermined little genres. It isThe fact that Playing For Keeps received such poor reviews doesn't surprise me because movie critics are some of the most closed minded individuals on the planet and this movie doesn't fit into one of their predetermined little genres. It is too raunchy to be a family movie, doesn't focus on relationships or drama enough to be a romantic-comedy, doesn't involved enough soccer to be a sports movie, and doesn't have the proper type of humor to be dude movie. What it is, however, is just an all-around decent film. There's nothing great about it but it does everything pretty good. The cast is great, though they are a bit underwhelming and underutilized in the film, and they provide solid performances, albeit a bit cliche. The plot is decent enough to keep you engaged. Is it predictable? Of course it is but so are 99% of movies made nowadays so that's nothing new. All in all, I think most open-minded viewers will enjoy this as a pretty good all-around movie, nothing more, nothing less. Expand
audreythomas25Jan 12, 2016
No matter what kind of drab, derivative fluff you prefer, this exceptionally toothless comedy has something to offer.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-269811-Playing-for-Keeps-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
hoops2448Apr 22, 2013
Football films and cinema have never really meshed, they just don't translate well. To combat this Playing for Keeps keeps to the sidelines, looking at the supporters and the kids inspired by the game. However judging by the film I justFootball films and cinema have never really meshed, they just don't translate well. To combat this Playing for Keeps keeps to the sidelines, looking at the supporters and the kids inspired by the game. However judging by the film I just watched, it's surprising that any part of the sport is inspiring, especially for the kids.
George (Gerard Butler plays a screw up ex footballer who is perpetually feeling sorry for himself. When he is forced to coach his sons team by his ex wife Stacie (jessica Biel) he is given an opportunity to prove himself the man he thinks he is, not the child everyone else does.
Now I know the word reprehensible is a little extreme but this film really is. I mean it doesn't compare to the horror of Die Hard 5 but Playing for Keeps is dreadful none the less. The script is awful, the characters interact in the most unnatural ways, the women behave like neanderthals for comedy's sake and rarely eliciting more than a chuckle. Bulter is a likable idiot but he only really entertains when playing the game and not talking. Dennis Quaid pops in and out of the film to annoy the viewer with his over the top business man father, a slimebag who is more alien than human. Biel is actually surprisingly good for once in her career but she can't stop the ship from sinking. In fact there are few acting problems, except for Quaid and Uma Thurman, whose shrillness makes her scenes unbearable. The problem is that the film has no direction,a message it never convincingly delivers and because of this, Playing for Keeps is nowhere near the inspirational story of a mans comeback into something so unbearably crass. Overall the film gives you characters you don't like, sets a tone that makes you think Farelly brothers instead of touching family drama and fails to convey why the game is so important to George and the kids that he coaches and fails to inspire.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Playing for Keeps" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

"Playing for Keeps" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: While Gerard Butler hasn't had a great track record with me as of late, he wasn't the problem here. In fact, he did a pretty good job with what little he had to work with. The film starts off with promise.

The Bad: Everyone not named Gerard Butler was dreadful. Biel, Thurman, Zeta-Jones, and Quaid all have solid reps, yet were stiff and terrible in this. The film itself becomes predictable and everyone in the film comes across as a complete idiot, especially the women. Poorly written and a complete waste of time.
python2000Aug 28, 2013
A very cheesy romance movie with King Leonidas as the main who's name I have already forgotten. Every cast member acts terribly and not a one point in the movie was I even the slightest bit interesting. Playing For Keeps is a boring soppyA very cheesy romance movie with King Leonidas as the main who's name I have already forgotten. Every cast member acts terribly and not a one point in the movie was I even the slightest bit interesting. Playing For Keeps is a boring soppy romance which women and men will hate. Expand
OroiaelDec 9, 2012
Watching YouTube videos of people vomiting is a better use of digital media, and with better acting. I stayed through the whole film as a measure of endurance. Apparently, I have a high threshold for pain. Good to know. This movie makes meWatching YouTube videos of people vomiting is a better use of digital media, and with better acting. I stayed through the whole film as a measure of endurance. Apparently, I have a high threshold for pain. Good to know. This movie makes me wonder if the acting and production staff know just how terrible the movie is during filming. I feel sorry for the post production people who had to watch this flop over and over to get the editing and sound correct. They are the true heroes. My hats off to you, you aren't paid enough. Expand
CountryPetInnDec 7, 2012
OMG if you loved GIGLI you might like this! (Vomits in the corner)...BOO! More crap from Hollywood. The money would have been better spent on underprivileged kids soccer camp.
DominosDec 28, 2012
I want to punch Dennis Quaid in his **** face. Don't go and see this stupid piece of trash. Stay home and finger your anus or something, it would be far more entertaining than this.
margezotoDec 7, 2012
This is a heartwarming film showing the main character who from a life of stardom as a popular soccer player bedomews a has been. He still has name recognition, but he is down and out. He reconnects with his 11 year old son after 7 yearsofThis is a heartwarming film showing the main character who from a life of stardom as a popular soccer player bedomews a has been. He still has name recognition, but he is down and out. He reconnects with his 11 year old son after 7 yearsof absence and unwittingly becomes a coach for his son's team.

I am sorry that the critics gave it a poor review. It is worth seeing.