Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 12, 2006
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 121 Ratings
WATCH NOW
PeterJ.Jan 27, 2007
The beginning of the movie was great, but the rest of it was predictably boring at best. I actually left the room a few times without pausing it. I was expecting a better story line. You knew exactly what was going to happen.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
EdQ.May 30, 2006
For those expecting acting that rivals Schindler's List, shame on you. This was a big-budget adventure that fell short of being at all memorable. You go in, enjoy the action, leave, and then make like a goldfish with a 7 second memory. For those expecting acting that rivals Schindler's List, shame on you. This was a big-budget adventure that fell short of being at all memorable. You go in, enjoy the action, leave, and then make like a goldfish with a 7 second memory. Dreyfus' acting is a shining point, and Russel and Rossum handle themselves well along with him. Otherwise, the acting is as expected, where the main discretionary command at the casting call was, "OK, now pretend like you're drowning, and look hot doing it!" Expand
PaulK.May 8, 2006
Slightly above average popcorn flick. The special effects are top notch and the suspense is at full throttle, but there should have been more character development. I had no invested interest in whether these people lived or died, apart from Slightly above average popcorn flick. The special effects are top notch and the suspense is at full throttle, but there should have been more character development. I had no invested interest in whether these people lived or died, apart from Jimmy Bennett's character. His role was an annoying plot device identical to what he played in Firewall. Cliche, anyone? Expand
JohnB.Sep 19, 2006
Movie sets = 8; realistic looking sets CG FXs = 5 (day FX) 8 (night FX) 6.5 (combination score) Script = 3; a bit choppy at times Acting = 8; considering a weak script Action = 9; the action kept me interested This wasn't a bad action Movie sets = 8; realistic looking sets CG FXs = 5 (day FX) 8 (night FX) 6.5 (combination score) Script = 3; a bit choppy at times Acting = 8; considering a weak script Action = 9; the action kept me interested This wasn't a bad action movie to watch, and I have no regrets seeing it on DVD, but they may have tried to cram too much of everything into the movie. There wasn't much time for the viewer to get to know and bond to the characters. The viewer was lead from one danger after another danger, after another danger. It felt like 'Fear Factor: The movie'. Everything felt hurried. Collapse
MaseMay 18, 2006
Quick and painless summer fare, plain old fashion disaster filck. If you are looking for anything else with say depth. Go elsewhere. Visuals are fantastic, characters are merely there to get thrown around by water nothing else.
eTurkeyMay 3, 2012
One half of me says to continue watching this film, the other half thinks it should sink dead in the water and I should flip on something else. For an action/disaster movie 'Poseidon' is rather, well... safe. And easy to foretell. PredictableOne half of me says to continue watching this film, the other half thinks it should sink dead in the water and I should flip on something else. For an action/disaster movie 'Poseidon' is rather, well... safe. And easy to foretell. Predictable at best to be perfectly honest. It's neither boring nor bland and some of the "escape" scenes are well directed but overall this feature offers nothing new in the genre. Truth be told, pick a side (heads or tails) and then throw a coin in the air to determine this picture's fate because it honestly could go either way. Expand
oxanaAug 28, 2014
I don't usually like to watch films like this, as I don't like the nervous, uneasy feeling I experience while watching them. However, I wanted to give this a chance.

A New Year's celebration on a luxury cruiser Poseidon is underway,

A New Year's celebration on a luxury cruiser Poseidon is underway, leading us through brief introductions of our future cast (some of the most delightful being an aging gay-man Richard Nelson and an ex-navy Dylan Johns), when a rogue wave appears quite suddenly (no time wasted there) and makes the cruiser do half an Eskimo Roll.

Up is down, and the remaining survivors hope that their ship stays afloat until rescuers arrives. Not everyone is that optimistic, however, and the previously introduced characters start an uncertain climb for possible survival.

Through cramped spaces and crystal clear waters - with some fiery inferno to boot - the group thins and obstacle after another arises to dampen their spirits. I think the cast's performances were good, and none of the issues they had to deal with were too unbelievable. That, of course, makes the situations only worse to watch.

In the spirit of all similar movies before this, and probably after as well, some of the characters make it while others don't. You could make some guesses as to who might not make it, which is part of the "entertaining" factor of the story. Also, I have no idea what drowning really looks like, but we had at least one very good version of it in here.

All in all, a good disaster story, I guess. It didn't seem too impossible or too long, and this will probably make you eye to horizon for a bit longer the next time you dare to put your foot in a boat of any size.
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
A remake is not always an automatic negative. The visuals are quite impressive, and if you look beyond some mediocre acting, you actually may be entertained.
csw12Sep 2, 2012
A pretty pathetic movie with cliches over all the place. the acting was below average as well as the writing but at least the action and visuals were good.
morfilJun 13, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. I cannot understand all the negative comments associated with it at all. If you go and watch a movie called Poseidon you should expect to see a big ship go belly up and then a fight for survival and that isI really enjoyed this movie. I cannot understand all the negative comments associated with it at all. If you go and watch a movie called Poseidon you should expect to see a big ship go belly up and then a fight for survival and that is exactly what we get. Expand
CineAutoctonoJul 25, 2015
This film is a farce , because it is another boat but superapara anything Titanic pelicua , and what Poseidon is a fictional ship and ran aground head , and the Titanic had split in two and Titanic is longer than this filth . Titanic is theThis film is a farce , because it is another boat but superapara anything Titanic pelicua , and what Poseidon is a fictional ship and ran aground head , and the Titanic had split in two and Titanic is longer than this filth . Titanic is the clear winner. Expand