8.0

1. Aug 24, 2014
    Horror does not always come in the form of zombies, slashers and ghost houses... it, unfortunately, is often real life. This film reveals the harsh realities of an unlucky girl amidst unnecessary terror. Mo'Nique gives us one of the most fearsome villains ever to grace the screen.
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When you read about the theme of this film, an obese teenage girl, illiterate, constantly abused physically and emotionally by her mother, and pregnant with her second child after being raped (again) by her father, you think "heavy melodrama". This film is by no means "light" but it's far from being a melodrama. This story feels "real", even for us who have never experienced what Precious calls everyday life, and this is partially to do with the excellent casting.
    Everyone in this film does a marvellous job, but the person that really excelled, in my opinion, was Mo'Nique; she plays a horrible creature which you have just gotta hate, and she nailed the role of the abusive, angry, lazy and jealous mother, right down to the part where she admits everything she did was because she wanted to be loved. No, you don't get to feel sorry for her, that's the brilliance of this performance. What you do realise is that this terrible transformation can happen to anyone, and that's the scary part.
    The only reason I didn't give this film a higher score was because I found it to bit a too slow-paced for my liking. As for the ending, it was surprisingly uplifting and left you with a sense of optimism.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    A great film, but one of the toughest films to watch. A devastating look at abuse and how someone can imagine the possibilities of a glamorous lifestyle to try to just make it through the day.
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    precious is my favorite drama of 2009,
    and one of the best stories on a drama movie,
    the movie is pretty hard to watch, but the great performances make it so believable,
    Gabourey Sidibe performances was so good that it turned out from the actress who nobody knew to an Oscar-first-role nominee.
    her performances was over-the-top that it's actually make you feel that this movie is about
    her real life, it's like eminem in 8-mile,
    and not just her,Mo'Nique performances was top-notch, even Mariah Carey blow you away with her acting,waw.
    the story give you a little piece of hope at the end which is the best part,
    but over-all a fantastic drama and one of my favorite.
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    Good film! Powerful and touching at times. Mo'Nique received a lot of praise for her performance here and it's for a good reason; she gives a really great performance. I also loved Paula Patton and Mariah Carey's performances. Overall a solid film about the hardships in life. Maybe a little overrated, but still good. I loved the classroom scenes.
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    Precious is a terrific movie, so visceral and brutally real that will touch your heart. Every detail is perfectly calculated to demonstrate what life truly is; from what they eat to the appearance of the mother. It is very interesting the dynamic of the film, because the protagonist lives with every single problem that a human could have, which by the way gather all the complicated issues of contemporary society; but continue living only escaping from the reality, to a world where she is famous, everybody loves her, with the perfect boyfriend and a careful and lovely mother. Because of that the picture is constructed within three worlds, the horrible present (the movie), the repressed past (in flashbacks) and the fantastic other reality (breaking the flashbacks). That is why especial technical aspects are used to narrate the story, like slow motion shots, changes in illumination and audio-visual counterpoint (when in a fight it sounds quiet music). Another captivating thing is the evolution of the protagonist in the story, showing that is possible to take every little thing that happen to you, without mattering if is either good or bad, and learn something about it, because things happen for a reason. Lee Daniels definitely made a masterpiece, the screenplay is astonishing and the performance of the cast is amazing. I mean Gabourey Sidibe is awesome, but MoNique is heartbreaking, one of the best performances I ever seen in my life. Life is hard, life is short, life is painful, but because everything is a gift from the universe, life is precious. Expand
  7. Sep 2, 2012
    This was a pretty intense film. Not the most exciting or original storyline, but it still managed to be gripping and very well acted. Monique gave the performance of her life.
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    If I want to see apes, I will just watch a documentary from the discovery channel. They act just like animals in this movie and it's sickening.I wouldn't recommend this with my own life.
  9. Aug 19, 2012
    A great movie, perfect, gets to be shocking and performance of the cast is excellent, an exceptional film that wins who is watching from beginning to end, even those who do not like this kind of movie could end up captivating.
  10. Mar 26, 2012
    Precious is a decent movie. The movie had strong acting by Mo'Nique and Alicia Keys. The movie displays the kind nature of a women in a cruel world, especially in the rural areas of New York City.
  11. Feb 4, 2012
    Best African American movie hands down. So inspiring. So emotional. The characters are full of life. Every little detail fits amazing. Not really that slow like people say it is. Precious it's so full of surprises. A must see for drama fans.
  12. Jan 6, 2012
    I wanted to like it, but the clumsiness of its execution means it fails to move. The movie fails on many fronts: the "dream sequences" just confuse the plot; the characters are explored only superficially; the plot dawdles. Perhaps worst of all, the film relies on a blunt "haul on the heartstrings" approach rather than putting real effort into conveying emotion. It seems like it should be more of a touching story, but instead it is depressing violence, and left me feeling bleak, rather than uplifted. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2011
    Impressively acted(especially Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'Nique), realistically directed and well scripted. Precious is a very inspirational Oscar contender. 4/4 stars.
  14. Oct 15, 2011
    The Oscar-winning movie "Precious" is slow paced with a quiet tone of despair. There is really no solution to its pessimistic view throughout the movie, but its Mo'Nique (the Oscar Best Actress Winner) who provides faith and light to the audience throughout the movie.
  15. Feb 25, 2011
    This film was good, although the hype is a little bit misguided. The unfortunate thing is that it's hard to gain an emotional connection with the characters, although you agree that the abuse is disgusting, it's not the type of thing that makes one cry or really FEEL. Mo'Nique's performance was indeed amazing, as was Carey as the understated but effective social worker Ms Weiss, but other than that the film was a little hard to watch. Expand
  16. Jan 16, 2011
    i was really exhausted when the movie ended. it's a well scripted drama with lot of swearing, and Monique did a great job, i guess. but i don't know. i was really tired. it's a very depressing movie...
  17. Dec 15, 2010
    Aspiring work.. the story's told the right way, the acting is great, but in the end, you have an empty feeling in your gut that makes you miss your money.
  18. Dec 5, 2010
    This movie shows how people can understand the reality of their situation (good or bad) thanks to the culture which make people critic and independent, a must, my favourite of 2010.
  19. Sep 27, 2010
    Very great film.. inspiring and so natural.. as per the title itself, based on a true story... was able to show that it is and it is not a just a film.. Carey acted well.. Natural and great.. Monique is very good..
  20. Aug 27, 2010
    'Precious' is a tough movie that handles a myriad of tough situations, all focused on the single tragic protagonist, Precious. Though the movie easily could have been a weep-fest that begs for sympathy, director Lee Daniels chooses to handle every scene and situation with a delicacy that manages to never exploit the characters on screen.
  21. Aug 13, 2010
    Precious is definitely a good film. Excellent performances by literally everyone in the cast, especially Mo'Nique. It has a heart-wrenching story and, well, it definitely makes one think. It all works, but somehow it just isn't fully what I've expected, there is a little thing that would make this film excellent... this way it's "just" a great film. I'd recommend it, for sure.

1. Reviewed by: Nick Antosca
    Shot in the manner of a grueling horror picture, with jittery edits to half-remembered traumas and glistening close-ups on the faces of monsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    As Precious, Sidibe is superb, allowing us to see the inner warmth and beauty of a young woman who, to her world's cruel eyes, might seem monstrous.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    An urban nightmare with a surfeit of soul, Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire is like a diamond -- clear, bright, but oh so hard.