6.9

1. Aug 25, 2012
    About the best thing that can be said about this movie is that Gordon-Levitt and Shannon do what they are asked to do with the characters they are given. The movie has very little plot, and what plot there is we don't have any investment in. The bike riding seems cool, but only for a minute, better to search for bike messengers on you tube if that's what your coming to the film for. Overall a highly forgettable thriller. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    Awful movie. Very silly. It has the feel of a low-budget, one hour teen drama. It's such a piece of garbage that it should be crumpled up and covered in the old food you threw in the trash. I paid six bucks to rent this turd and I'm not even gonna finish it. I should have flushed that six bucks down the toilet. It would have been far more entertaining. I feel great after dumping on this movie. Premium Crap. Expand
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    Whenever Michael Shannon is on screen, this movie is an absolute blast to watch. Unfortunately, when he's not, it's borderline unwatchable. If this movie had been filmed in the '90s, you can be certain the main character would be using the word "radical" every other sentence. It's THAT kind of film.
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    Brief, self-congratulatory, feels padded out. At times the narrative will maddeningly drop what it's doing to show off some stunts, then pick itself up again. Characters are cardboard cut-outs, all are EXTREME or HARDCORE, in all-caps. Reminds of those 90s films centred on BMX/Surfing/Rollerblading(?)
  5. Jan 18, 2013
    As a mountain biker and a person who loves physics! this movie stinks! Also the story is way over the top, not believable. Its one of the those movies, that shouldnt have been made!
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    By now, it's no secret that I'll watch anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. When I saw he was going to be in an action thriller, about bike messengers in Manhattan, I couldn't wait to see it, but sadly I was very disappointed. It's a normal day for bike messenger Riley (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), as he picks up a package and goes on his way. Everything is fine until a strange man tries to run him down and steal the package. From there its a race through NYC to see who gets the mysterious package first. Premium Rush is Gone In 60 Seconds on bicycles. The plot is weak, the story is predictable, and the whole film is basically one big chase through Manhattan. Yes, Premium Rush is exciting at first, but after a half hour, it gets very tiresome, very quickly. JGL tries his hardest to turn this film into something, but even a star of his caliber can't save this film, because there really isn't anything to save. It's as if the producers said, lets have a car chasing a bike in New York City and develop some kind of story around that. It doesn't work, because seldom I have been this bored and frustrated by an action movie. It stars one of my top 10 favorite actors, but there really isn't much of a role for him to play. I really hate to say it, but this film is a complete loser, don't waste your time on it. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It starts off extremely slowly. However, once they get into the envelope and what is in it and the chase with the cop gets going, it picks up quickly. However, since the beginning almost put me to sleep, the movie wound up being around mediocre to average. If the film was just the second half, it would've been a fantastic movie. Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    I wasn't expecting heavy dramatic turns but this thing was far worse than I expected. The dialogue was simply awful. And I found myself laughing at things that weren't supposed to be funny which is obviously never a good sign.
  9. Aug 31, 2012
    If you really like to watch chase scenes, on bicycles, then this movie is for you. I enjoyed the flashback-back and forth timeline presentation and some of the stunts where cool but it got old quick. I think it got lost between trying to be clever and action backed. In the end I was disappointed.
  10. Sep 2, 2012
    The film was overall decent. While it did have a very big cool factor, the plot was a bit non-existent, the writing was not very memorable, but the structure was at least interesting. While some people loved Michael Shannon's acting in this film, I could not help but be pulled from the film with every word he uttered. His voice grated on me like the asphalt in a bad bike crash. The film had good sequences, but I hardly remember what happened and I only saw it about three hours ago. I didn't expect much from this film, and I got what I expected. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2012
    No plot. Completely flat characters. Villain is not redeeming in any way. Damsel in distress also not very likable. Incredibly serious things happen with no consequences. Really dumb decisions made by characters for the purpose of making the movie have anything happen at all. Majority of humor involves a Chinese phonebook and a very muscular black man. Absolutely terrible conclusion. Only thing to watch in this movie is the bike chase sequences and they're not great. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    This movie is a big disappointment. My biggest problem with this film is the script stinks and Jamie Chung's accent is cringe worthy. The bike scenes are kind of cool and JGL is good, but it's not enough to save this film.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    Plot is nowhere near as interesting or entertaining as it should be.
  14. Apr 24, 2013
    Be careful on the streets of New York. You'll find mayhem, close-calls, accidents, rude behavior, violence, and danger; and that's just from the bicycle messengers.

Premium Rush is the story of one of those messengers (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who must make an important and urgent delivery through Manhattan rush-hour traffic. Gordon-Levitt's character, Wilee, is such a maniac
    that he rides a bike without brakes, derailleur gears or de rigueur rails.

Joining Wilee on this thrill ride are Manny (Wolé Parks) and Vanessa (Dania Ramirez). I don't know if this film is supposed to make us feel some sympathy for the plight of the downtrodden bicycle messenger, but I personally was rooting for the bad cop (Michael Shannon) to haul their hazardous hineys to the hoosegow for being the dangerous road jerks that they are.

The acting is uneven at best. Ramirez must have gone to the Scowling-Is-Acting School for Young Thespians. Not that she can't make a career out of a scowl. Bruce Willis has been a show-biz success for nearly 30 years with no discernible asset other than a smirk. Shannon's acting isn't much better. I've enjoyed his previous work in Boardwalk Empire and the excellent Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Here, however, he vacillates between a tough-as-nails Cagney-like bad guy to an exasperated high-pitched whining comic-relief character reminiscent of Curly Howard.

Most of the film's 90 minutes, is spent wheeling on bicycles through traffic. I found it rather tiresome (ha ha! get it? tiresome... tire... you know... bicycle... forget it).

If it's bicycles and a thrilling chase that you have a craving for, watch two movies Breaking Away and Bullitt. You'll get the fix you need and see two infinitely better films in the process.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Sep 10, 2012
    A movie that while thin and silly, moves with such joyous speed that you almost want to throw your arms in the air and scream.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Sep 1, 2012
    It's definitely the 'other' Gordon-Levitt film out this month, but this silly cycler whizzes by amiably. Star charm helps: JGL's enjoyment in his job adds welcome levels of Levitt-y.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Pinkerton
    Aug 27, 2012
    There is a lot of silly bike-is-life philosophy, including Wilee's personal credo of "Fixed gear, steel frame, no brakes," none of which I can speak to because I don't care a tinker's damn about bikes, but I do have an abiding fondness for compact and coherent action movies, and this is surely one.