5.5

1. Jul 30, 2014
    "Premonition" is intriguing, even though it's pretty unclear what the movie wants to discuss. Bullock appears to be a good choice for this role but cannot do much to save the day. It is not bad, there are thrills and gripping moments, but it seems fatuous after its surprising-wannabe ending.
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    For me it was a pretty decent thriller with some psychological tension and rather good storyline and concept (I mean that random days|events that happened to Linda and which she marked in the improvised calendar). Sandra Bullock's performance was pretty nice and convincing.
  3. L
    Aug 24, 2009
    The idea of the film had some great possibilities, but the inconsistency of the movie made it fall flat. Sandra Bullock did her best with what she was given, which wasn't that great. The plot was convoluted and the lack of chemistry between her and her on-screen husband added to it's blandness. Bullock's performance made you care enough about her character to watch the The idea of the film had some great possibilities, but the inconsistency of the movie made it fall flat. Sandra Bullock did her best with what she was given, which wasn't that great. The plot was convoluted and the lack of chemistry between her and her on-screen husband added to it's blandness. Bullock's performance made you care enough about her character to watch the whole movie, but the marital relationship was never established as one you want to root for in the end. Quite frankly, you spend a lot of the movie wondering ( from the plot points to all the characters' behavior), "what?!, I don't get it- that makes no sense!", and by the end, you are watching just to see how they (hopefully) do make sense out of it all. Which, unfortunately, they don't. What could have been a great avenue for telling a compelling story with an equally compelling life lesson, gets lost in the midst of muddy story telling. Collapse
  4. RickyQ
    May 6, 2009
    There are plenty of plot holes that are sure to frustrate most people, but in the end if you overlook them the movie can be quite enjoyable and suspenseful. What I really didn't like was why we weren't really told why Bullock has these premonitions. Seems like a lazy way to make what should be a typical movie into something more interesting.
  5. Hannah
    Nov 27, 2007
    I actually enjoyed this movie... it was very suspenseful and thrilling. Unlike other movies that I've seen lately. I didn't think it was horrible like the movie critics thought but hey I'm not a pro at this kinda stuff.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Just another example on how the critics are out of touch and got it wrong....its hard to believe that they watch the same movies as i do......this was an amazing movie, and i could care less what the snobbish "professional" critics say.
  7. NickM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    I really don't understand how this movie can be rated so low....there were some places that could have been a little better, but overall i thought this was exciting and entertaining.
  8. SteveK
    Oct 16, 2007
    Not horrible, not great... one thing is for sure.. this movie is frustrating as hell. There are so many holes in how the hole "time travel" thing works that it is a huge impediment to enjoying the movie. I can't count the number of times I said, "That doesn't make any sense". I genuinely wanted to know what happens at the end, but by the time we get there, I was so angy by the Not horrible, not great... one thing is for sure.. this movie is frustrating as hell. There are so many holes in how the hole "time travel" thing works that it is a huge impediment to enjoying the movie. I can't count the number of times I said, "That doesn't make any sense". I genuinely wanted to know what happens at the end, but by the time we get there, I was so angy by the contrived, ridiculous ending that defies all logic. I hate when movies manipulate you and have characters that do things that no one with a brain would EVER do just to further their plot. I give it a 5 because it kept my attention till the end, and overall it is well made and shot, with a somewhat poignant and well-meaning epilogue. However, what should have been very touching is robbed of warm feelings, because I was so frustrated by this movie. It helps that I didn't pay any money to see it, otherwise, I probably would have rated it lower. Expand
  9. PatC.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Nothing here to diminish Bullock's competence as an actress, but if one can see the future as past events, one must conclude here that those who learn from the past are also doomed to repeat it. For those few, those unhappy few who have the option, this movie is a good argument to take life as it comes rather than skipping ahead.
  10. PeterK.
    Aug 30, 2007
    I saw this on a plane... and was glad when we landed that I had not wasted money on a theater ticket. The film falls completely flat at its ending. Think of baking a cake that never rises.
  11. MichelL.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Great Movie! I though it was similar to Lake House.
  12. JaredC.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Not bad actually. The story isn't bad, and it sure dam isn't a lazy/slow Hide and Seek. Its adrenaline and never dull. A fantastic film based on a mysterious fantasy, a great dramatic performance.
  13. thecritics.
    Aug 5, 2007
    This movie was a giant waste of my time, it ended excactly the way it started. DO NOT GO SEE THIS MOVIE (Unless of course you want to waste two hours of your life).
  14. Brian
    Jul 24, 2007
    Not a good movie. If you've seen the previews, you won't be surprised for a moment by any part of the story. Depending on your opinion of Sandra Bullock's acting abilities, you may or may not be surprised by the lack of believability her character offers, both in her actions, and in Bullock's rather pathetic performance. She really doesn't seem to care whether her Not a good movie. If you've seen the previews, you won't be surprised for a moment by any part of the story. Depending on your opinion of Sandra Bullock's acting abilities, you may or may not be surprised by the lack of believability her character offers, both in her actions, and in Bullock's rather pathetic performance. She really doesn't seem to care whether her husband lives or dies. After about 30 minutes, it becomes clear that the story isn't going anywhere surprising, and that the movie's only chance to redeem itself will be its ending. Sadly, the writers couldn't think of anything interesting for that either. I found myself screaming at the characters to change their actions as they approached the very predictable, unbelievably boring ending. Expand
  15. Jack
    Jul 24, 2007
    I'll pay the rental fee again to get my 2 hours back. If you're the type who gets annoyed by really bad plot holes, this movie will have you screaming when the credits start rolling. Yeah it's THAT bad. You've been warned. I've never submitted a vote here before, but this I had to get my pain heard.
  16. ZOEKROGH
    Jul 23, 2007
    I honestly do not know why this film was rated so poorly by the critics. It was challenging to follow and all questions were eventually answered. The alternative ending was a little over the top, but all in all the movie was alright.
  17. billc
    Jul 22, 2007
    The only thing good about this movie is Sandra Bullock. She is gorgeous.
  18. KevinC
    Jul 21, 2007
    The plot wasn't that hard to follow, the movie would actually be better if it wasn't easy to follow since the obvious huge plot holes are really what makes the movie stink. Whoever directed/wrote this trash should give everyone who watched it a full refund. I don't want to post spoilers, but put it this way. If the writer wanted to be so lazy, they shouldn't have The plot wasn't that hard to follow, the movie would actually be better if it wasn't easy to follow since the obvious huge plot holes are really what makes the movie stink. Whoever directed/wrote this trash should give everyone who watched it a full refund. I don't want to post spoilers, but put it this way. If the writer wanted to be so lazy, they shouldn't have opened up a can of worms involving time travel. Expand
  19. JoeT.
    Jul 18, 2007
    I'm surprised by all the bad reviews. Any mention of the Final Destinations or Butterfly Effect does the film a grave disservice. There's a touching grace to how the story unfolds. Yes, there are some plot inconsistencies, but the film carries it through with genuine heart (all too rare for cookie-cutter Hollywood).
  20. A
    May 13, 2007
    Boring, badly acted, weak plot that reaches out to the bible as an all saving solution.
  21. ThomasS.
    Apr 16, 2007
    I'm giving this film a 1 because I was able to follow it even though my wife struggled a little more than I to keep the plot straight. The only other reason for the 1 is because I did think it was well shot. Other than that this film deserves a big zero. It lost all credibility when it told me that because I lack faith I am an empty vessel just waiting to be filled with evil, bad I'm giving this film a 1 because I was able to follow it even though my wife struggled a little more than I to keep the plot straight. The only other reason for the 1 is because I did think it was well shot. Other than that this film deserves a big zero. It lost all credibility when it told me that because I lack faith I am an empty vessel just waiting to be filled with evil, bad things, etc. I have to stop writing this review now because I can feel the dark side tugging at me. Expand
  22. IrishD.
    Apr 4, 2007
    Imagine the final destination trilogy without blood or excitement and you get premonition, a movie what makes you want to rub sand paper in your eyes, the film is not sandra bullocks best, and is as boring as watching 20 hours worth of chess...without any participents!
  23. ElliotP.
    Mar 25, 2007
    Imagine your life is a deck of cards, with each card representing one day. Then imagine that the deck is dropped and the cards are scooped up in random order, and you can begin to make some sense out of this movie. Sandra Bullock does a masterful job making it appear that the confusing plot line actually makes sense. While we enjoyed the movie, it was apparent that at least a couple of Imagine your life is a deck of cards, with each card representing one day. Then imagine that the deck is dropped and the cards are scooped up in random order, and you can begin to make some sense out of this movie. Sandra Bullock does a masterful job making it appear that the confusing plot line actually makes sense. While we enjoyed the movie, it was apparent that at least a couple of other viewers most certainly did not. Expand
  24. SusieH.
    Mar 24, 2007
    A little hard to follow but better than the critics said.
  25. BitBurn
    Mar 23, 2007
    Actually, I rate this movie more like 6.2/10. This movie wasn't half as bad as major critics claimed! Sure there are flaws; acting is a bit poor, plot incoherent, but overall it's aiight for cheap Tuesdays
  26. DavinT.
    Mar 23, 2007
    In spite of inconsistencies of the plot, it packed a psychological punch --- and was effective overall.
  27. CarlosM
    Mar 22, 2007
    It has its moments, if you've been in love, if you've had your S.O. come to your feet and beg you not to leave, that really got me. But there were gaping plot holes that were terribly confusing. It redeems itself by its thrilling beginning, and occasional scares, taste for classy horror shots, but loses it in the crappy end and plethora of plot holes. Soso, not a fun watch nor a It has its moments, if you've been in love, if you've had your S.O. come to your feet and beg you not to leave, that really got me. But there were gaping plot holes that were terribly confusing. It redeems itself by its thrilling beginning, and occasional scares, taste for classy horror shots, but loses it in the crappy end and plethora of plot holes. Soso, not a fun watch nor a happy or fulfilling ending!!! Ech, made me kind of sick... Expand
  28. MikeS.
    Mar 21, 2007
    Thank you Chad S. for pointing out that she doesn't actually have premonitions - she just bounces around in time without much explanation, much as Ashton Kutcher did in Butterfly Effect. I suspect the studio branded the title on the film out of desperation just to explain it. At any rate, yes a terrible film. All of it wouldn't be so bad if I cared about the husband or even Thank you Chad S. for pointing out that she doesn't actually have premonitions - she just bounces around in time without much explanation, much as Ashton Kutcher did in Butterfly Effect. I suspect the studio branded the title on the film out of desperation just to explain it. At any rate, yes a terrible film. All of it wouldn't be so bad if I cared about the husband or even Bullock's character, but, nope. We have seen these characters before and seen this concept done much better. Expand
  29. MichaelC.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Is he alive? Is he dead? Who cares? By the time the movie was over, all I wanted was an end to my own suffering.
  30. ChadS.
    Mar 19, 2007
    Every wretched film is destined to meet their Nadir. "Premonition" reaches its own when a preist tells Linda(Sandra Bullock) about historical forewarnings which had led to tragic consequences. This solemn, supposedly weighty scene is a fallacy because what Linda experiences are not premonitions; she's too self-aware, too cognizant of the end result, Jim dies(which is foolishly Every wretched film is destined to meet their Nadir. "Premonition" reaches its own when a preist tells Linda(Sandra Bullock) about historical forewarnings which had led to tragic consequences. This solemn, supposedly weighty scene is a fallacy because what Linda experiences are not premonitions; she's too self-aware, too cognizant of the end result, Jim dies(which is foolishly revealed in the trailer). It's as if Alanis Morissette wrote another song without consulting a dictionary. The shifting time in "Premonition" never intrigues us, the jumps are seemingly arbitrary; and the enigmas(her daughter's cut face, bloodied hands from a dead bird) tries to manufacture suspense but to no avail. At one point, the film stupidly tries to mislead us into thinking that Linda is crazy, which would be fine if the film used the right evidence(the cuts on her daughter's face is clearly shown to stem from an accident). This whole section involving Linda's purported craziness and Dr. Norman Roth(Peter Stormare) is simply awful. Linda is conscious of her time-travel, but the film makes her do things that suggests otherwise. "Premonition" is desperate, because it's boring; and worst of all, stupid. Linda doesn't have premonitions, she has amnesia. The film should be called "Amnesiac"(Morrisette's smash hit "Irony" were actually a string of "Coincidences"). Expand
  31. SamF.
    Mar 19, 2007
    This film is a real waste of money and time. Its a shame because Sandra Bullock is one of my favorites actresses in movies like Speed, The Net and Miss Congeniality. But this film has so many holes, does not go anywhere and ends up not explaining anything but to be a religious moral story.
  32. AL.
    Mar 18, 2007
    Absymal. Bullock has had all expression botoxed out of her face. The painful religious solution to her troubles is embarrassing by its false motives. Its just a misguided advertisment for going to church. The low PG13 rating should shame the big movie theatre employees and the priest who sit on the MPAA's advisory board. Do you really want a 13 year old seeing a story about a father Absymal. Bullock has had all expression botoxed out of her face. The painful religious solution to her troubles is embarrassing by its false motives. Its just a misguided advertisment for going to church. The low PG13 rating should shame the big movie theatre employees and the priest who sit on the MPAA's advisory board. Do you really want a 13 year old seeing a story about a father dying, a mother being committed and a small girl getting disfigured? Expand
  33. HondoJ.
    Mar 18, 2007
    The out-of-sequence time thriller is back, and Ms. Bullock's got it! This topsy-turvy blockbuster is a poorly disguised allegory of American adventurism in the Middle East, with Bullock as an Everywoman buffeted by dire predictions and rosy scenarios, attempting to make up her mind about the role of her country in a 21st Century paradigm. The 'premonitions' of the title are The out-of-sequence time thriller is back, and Ms. Bullock's got it! This topsy-turvy blockbuster is a poorly disguised allegory of American adventurism in the Middle East, with Bullock as an Everywoman buffeted by dire predictions and rosy scenarios, attempting to make up her mind about the role of her country in a 21st Century paradigm. The 'premonitions' of the title are her attempts to make sense of conflicting data, and the thrilling climax to this film will hit very close to the bone for those torn between cutting and running. Sandra is at her best since the heady days of Miss Congeniality II; indeed, this critic has a 'premonition' of Bullock receiving Oscar gold next February. The first great film of 2007. Expand
  34. JakeA.
    Mar 18, 2007
    Boring and pointless on top of morally ambigous. What was the point. Faith, Hope? It took a lot of faith and hope to not walk out of that film.
  35. TabU.
    Mar 17, 2007
    One of the best mystery-thriller in years that uses great photography, cinematography, and soundtrack to capture a substantive, meaningful emotional, relational, and moral underpinnings.
  36. DennisG.
    Mar 13, 2007
    Silly muddled story. Poor acting. Zero credibility.

1. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    This slick exercise about a housewife whose spouse might or might not be dead is effective until a downright maudlin close.
  2. Reviewed by: Nathan Lee
    Had the film maintained a tone of kooky, Kafkaesque tragicomedy, narrowing in on Linda's wacko wrestling match with the laws of physics, we might really have had something here.
    The star and the more overwrought aspects of the plot are mainstream but the philosophical implications will not appeal to those who prefer easily digestible cinematic portions. It's also true that the more deeply one considers the movie's themes and structure, the less sense it makes.