8.8

1. ElizabethK
    Jan 6, 2006
    Fantastic. Beautiful in every aspect, minus perhaps the immature acting of Jena Malone. Sountrack is gorgeous, costumes are simply divine and authentic, acting is superb, just a perfect package. Kept me smiling all throughout the movie. Knightly does fantastically in this film.
  2. Christina
    Jan 6, 2006
    Utterly fantastic! Keira played the role of Lizzie excellantly, completely capturing her free-spirited nature and runaway tongue! Darcy was absolutely SMOULDERING! with the right touch of gentlemanliness about him and the connection between the two...OOOH...!!!
  3. AdamF
    May 1, 2006
    Phenomenal.
  4. ErinF.
    Nov 26, 2005
    It was awesome. It was a wonderful adaptation of Austen's characters. They had the same life to them that they had in the book. It was wonderful.
  5. NicoleL
    Oct 2, 2007
    Brilliant and relatively faithful rendition of one of Jane Austen's most popular titles, not to mention a most endearing soundtrack. Knightely's and Macfayden's portrayal of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy respectively are most memorable and moving.
  6. SusanB
    Oct 24, 2006
    KK was by far the best Lizzy I have seen. I loved the way MM played Mr. Darcy. I loved Colin Firth's, but I dare say MM's was better. I thought the mini series to be a bit dragged out. I will watch this version again and again!
  7. SueJ.
    Dec 6, 2006
    This movie is amazing! It is a perfect summary of the novel.
  8. GerronK
    Jan 26, 2006
    Excellent!
  9. ritaj,
    Jan 5, 2006
    Kira Knightly is wonderful in this film. She graces the screen like I have never seen any actress do before. You must see this movie! It is wonderful.
  10. HollyN.
    Mar 2, 2006
    One of the greatest movies ever made!!!!
  11. SamB.
    Mar 3, 2006
    A masterpiece. The most charming movie of the year, and Keira(whom I usually dislike) swept me off my feet. I'm rooting for her on Sunday even though I know she doesnt have a prayer.
  12. EllenL
    May 14, 2006
    I think that this moving interpretation of the novel is brilliant. Though of course this is different from the BBC adaptionof 95, i do not think that the differences detract from its quality. When i see a couple falling in love throughout a movie, even if they do not see it themselves yet, I have to be able to FEEL the chemistry between the characters. In this adaption the chemistry I think that this moving interpretation of the novel is brilliant. Though of course this is different from the BBC adaptionof 95, i do not think that the differences detract from its quality. When i see a couple falling in love throughout a movie, even if they do not see it themselves yet, I have to be able to FEEL the chemistry between the characters. In this adaption the chemistry literally oozes off the screen. I felt their passion, i felt Lizzy and Darcy's pain. Matthew Macfadyen makes a magnificent Darcy, and his interpretation of the character made me fall in love with him also. Though his faults were evident, his love and passion for Lizzy was even more so. You could see his character evolve on screen, surface and flourish in his love for Lizzy. And because of Kira Knightley's fresh, youthful and witty perfomance you could understand why his character would do so. Altogether a magnificant film. Expand
  13. KathyC.
    Jun 29, 2006
    I absolutely love this movie. I have watched the DVD several times and think Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen are perfect together. I especially liked Matthew's performance because his face shows such yearning for Lizzie. I have also watched the 1995 Colin Firth miniseries and feel the 2005 movie has so much more life and romance. Joe Wright's direction put the emphasis I absolutely love this movie. I have watched the DVD several times and think Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen are perfect together. I especially liked Matthew's performance because his face shows such yearning for Lizzie. I have also watched the 1995 Colin Firth miniseries and feel the 2005 movie has so much more life and romance. Joe Wright's direction put the emphasis where it should be - on the relationship between Lizzie and Darcy. The camera work and cinematography was stunning and really showcased the energy of the balls and the emotions of the characters. Expand
  14. AnastasiaP.
    Jul 24, 2006
    It is an excellent movie! As far as I am concernd, I believe that the last version of Pride and Prejudice is the best! I could say that it is the most interesting movie that I have ever seen! Congratulations! You offered us a movie which is special because it has something that the movies in our era has not, it has quality!
  15. MariaV.
    Jul 28, 2006
    I have watched this twice in theaters and then again when I bought the DVD. It's really a film that I will not hesitate to watch again.
  16. Dave
    Jul 5, 2006
    It seems that all the people that have read the book hate the movie. Remember, this is a movie not a miniseries. I loved the movie because they didn't follow the book. They condensed and modified the story to fit into a movie format. The acting was superb and the sceenplay exceelent as well.
  17. GlyssaV.
    Jan 11, 2007
    For most fans of the 1995 BBC production of the novel with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, a 2005 feature adaptation (the first in 65 years) was considered mutinous, and many doomed it for a clumsy failure when Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen were cast to respectively play the tall-order roles of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. However, the refreshing cast is genius from top to For most fans of the 1995 BBC production of the novel with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, a 2005 feature adaptation (the first in 65 years) was considered mutinous, and many doomed it for a clumsy failure when Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen were cast to respectively play the tall-order roles of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. However, the refreshing cast is genius from top to bottom, Knightley and MacFadyen highly underestimated and perfect with each other, with director Joe Wright making a spectacular onscreen debut. Expand
  18. JaciS.
    Sep 4, 2007
    I love this movie so much, whenever I'm in a bad mood i put this movie on and it makes me feel better. its got amazing plots and the acting is flawless. i love it.
  19. KassieB.
    Oct 9, 2008
    I think this is one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography is brilliant and the casting is spot on. I think Kiera Knightley is the perfect Elizabeth Bennett and Matthew Macfadyen is soo dreamy as Darcy. I also think the sound track is absolutely amazing. Basically I just love everything about this movie.
  20. MegD
    Mar 2, 2009
    As faithful as a movie can be to a book, the conversations were very true to the novel and as much fit in as possible. Keira did a fantastic job as did Macfadyen. The subtleties of his affections for Lizzy are perfect. Gorgeous cinematography. I've never loved a movie more.
  21. Nouki
    Jun 8, 2009
    I think it was absolutely fantastic.I read the book years ago and also seen the adaptations and this one has totally enchanted me. I know that the one from 1995 is more a book like version, but I certainly like this one better and to think the time they took to make such a great accomplishment. Knightley and Macfadyen did a perfect job leading it and the rest of the cast did a astounding I think it was absolutely fantastic.I read the book years ago and also seen the adaptations and this one has totally enchanted me. I know that the one from 1995 is more a book like version, but I certainly like this one better and to think the time they took to make such a great accomplishment. Knightley and Macfadyen did a perfect job leading it and the rest of the cast did a astounding job as well! Though I must say I like the US ending! Soo romantic!. I laughed,cried and regained hope with this movie! Congratulations! Expand
  22. MaryS.
    Nov 15, 2005
    It was awesome! MUCH BETTER than the BBC version. Kiera Knightly and Matthew MacFayden have a great chemistry in this version and you can feel their individual torments as they each realize they misjudged each other at first. Will see it again.
  23. CelineC.
    Nov 22, 2005
    A job well done! This 2005 version is way better than the 1940 one: closer to Austen's novel and much more entertaining.
  24. NancyM.
    Nov 30, 2005
    Best movie in a long time.
  25. LucyP.
    Dec 15, 2005
    Obsessively addictive! Can't seem to get MacFayden's beauteous eyes out of my consciousness.
  26. EmilyM
    Dec 4, 2005
    It brought out all of the beautiful parts of the book without imposing on the emotions created by reading it.
  27. SHFB
    Dec 5, 2005
    The best of the Austen movies to date! The acting is wonderful and engaging. But the real feat is in the abundance of details and the interesting camera work (I love the scene in which Darcy and his friend's sister are sitting at the table when Lizzie is introduced - the whole scene is shot from behind their backs). I really can't say enough good things about this movie. The best of the Austen movies to date! The acting is wonderful and engaging. But the real feat is in the abundance of details and the interesting camera work (I love the scene in which Darcy and his friend's sister are sitting at the table when Lizzie is introduced - the whole scene is shot from behind their backs). I really can't say enough good things about this movie. I've already seen it twice and will probably see it again. Expand
  28. TiffanyY.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Wonderful! Romantic and funny... a great combination.
  29. Dotty
    Jan 10, 2006
    Everything is perfect.
  30. CoriL.
    Nov 9, 2006
    I couldn't take my eyes from the screen, when I read the book I have my own idea's on what it would be like, and I am pleased to say that the movie delivered just that. Kiera Knightley did amazing and Matthew MacFadyen was just as I imagined Mr. Darcy to be. I watched over about three times before taking a break, it nice to finally have a good romance to watch again.
  31. NathalieB.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Great movie, loved it so much i saw it a second time. :)
  32. MelissaM.
    Jan 27, 2006
    this was by far the best movie ive seen all year and i would recomend it to my friends and watch it myself over and over agian.
  33. NikkiD.
    Feb 1, 2006
    This movie was completly amazing! Kiera Knightley was stunning and Matthew MacFadyen superb! It is by far, as some are saying, the best movie of the year!! I saw it three times and each time it just gets better. You will fall in love with Elizabeth Bennet's beautiful, strong, daring personality and the mysterious hearthrob, Mr Darcy, who shows his true colors as the movie builds and This movie was completly amazing! Kiera Knightley was stunning and Matthew MacFadyen superb! It is by far, as some are saying, the best movie of the year!! I saw it three times and each time it just gets better. You will fall in love with Elizabeth Bennet's beautiful, strong, daring personality and the mysterious hearthrob, Mr Darcy, who shows his true colors as the movie builds and develops into a heartwarming, funny, engrossing tale of romance. The worst part of it all was that it had to end! Expand
  34. SusanJ.
    Apr 7, 2006
    This wonderful movie, gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. With all the violence going on in the world today, this movie brings peace and enjoyment.
  35. EileenW.
    May 18, 2007
    I absolutely love this version. It is very romantic. I own a copy and rewatch it frequently. Everyone was great and music and editing top-notch.
  36. Lynn
    Nov 11, 2005
    VERY different from the BBC version, but very good. It truly brings new things to this story, and the director uses the cinematic possiblities at his disposal.
  37. LeanneC.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Thankfully, a movie that does not assume the audience is stupid. Allowing the script to flow without extraordinary historical explanation and decidedly exploring and interpreting the novel makes the film brilliant. I don't believe this film to be for those who prefer less intelligent films or those who were looking for an exact interpretation, page by page, of the novel. Reading Thankfully, a movie that does not assume the audience is stupid. Allowing the script to flow without extraordinary historical explanation and decidedly exploring and interpreting the novel makes the film brilliant. I don't believe this film to be for those who prefer less intelligent films or those who were looking for an exact interpretation, page by page, of the novel. Reading other reviews on this page makes me wonder if they understood this picture at all. From Ms. Knightly to Ms. Malone, I thought the acting excellent and the film wonderfully executed. I loved it. Expand
  38. JenineL.
    Nov 27, 2005
    Besides the immensely appealing cast of characters delivering outstanding performances, the script was beautifully written in language that was both eloquent and piercingly poignant. The classics, like" P & P" and "Much Ado About Nothing",for example, remind us of the wonderful richness of the English language without being condescending or boring.. Bravo!
  39. JosephS
    Nov 30, 2005
    For a short brief movie comparing to the completed movie in the 90's, I will see it again, full of divertion,amusement,and terrific scenes.
  40. KristenW.
    Dec 1, 2005
    I loved this movie. After reading the book over the summer for school, I was so excited that it was being redone and my friend and I just had to see it when she was home for thanksgiving.
  41. GailK.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Pride & Prejudice never made it to the local theaters in my home town, so I had to wait for the DVD. This is without a doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen, and even with seeing it over and over, the pleasure doesn't pale with repetition.
  42. K
    Apr 28, 2006
    I love this movie. I have become obsessed with it. I dont know why but Kiera Knightley just entralls me in this movie and makes me feel like I am in it. I did not read the book until after I saw it and I think the movie did the book justice.
  43. MikeC.
    Jan 15, 2007
    This is one of the best romantic movies ever made. Completely enchanting.
  44. NatalieL.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Director Joe Wright is one to watch! The cinematography was grand yet not afraid to get down into the dirt; this movie truly deserved its Best Picture nomination. Magnificently sweeping, I fell in love with the English countryside. I was heartbroken to see it end despite its two hours. This movie hardly deserves the red-level ratings other reviewers gave it. I hate to think that all the Director Joe Wright is one to watch! The cinematography was grand yet not afraid to get down into the dirt; this movie truly deserved its Best Picture nomination. Magnificently sweeping, I fell in love with the English countryside. I was heartbroken to see it end despite its two hours. This movie hardly deserves the red-level ratings other reviewers gave it. I hate to think that all the women who rated this curiously low did so because they felt personally threatened by Keira Knightley. Expand
  45. DoreyaS.
    Aug 22, 2007
    I loved this version better than the old version.I say that Keira Knightly was the best choice for Elizabeth.I wish everyone that stared in this movie,including the producer and director, a best, happy,and loving career.Oh! Keira Knightly don't worry about the people that don't like you because you was the best person for Elizabeth.
  46. DrewLumpkin
    Nov 23, 2008
    Keira Knightley was absolutely brilliant.
  47. NicoleL.
    Jul 15, 2009
    I've watched this movies for countless times. It's perfect.
  48. AmandaS.
    Nov 13, 2005
    This was a wonderful film- of epic beauty with amazing camera work and cleaver shots. I was moved by Matthew MacFadyen's vulnerable rendition of Darcy.
  49. BrettR.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Spectacular! I was amazed in how much I really enjoyed it. Keira Knightly is phenomenal, an Oscar worthy performance. She makes Elizabeth intelligent, fun, and likeable rather than bitter and unrelatable. Also, fantastic direction, cinematography, and art direction.
  50. amandaw.
    Nov 24, 2005
    I never wanted the movie to end. Mr. Darcy is perfect.
  51. GabiPardal
    Nov 21, 2008
    What a amazing novel and movie!! Great message in so many ways, very positive and comfortable. The soundtrack are just great! The "universal acclaim" is fair.
  52. Jul 4, 2011
    Read the book and saw the movie and I must admit is a pretty good adaptation. Keira Knightley is stunning, the rest of the cast is also really good.
  53. Feb 26, 2012
    I loved it! It is beautifully done, great performances, and it was never dull! The art direction was outstanding and the script delightful! Darcy and Mr. Bingley are my favourites characters for they were soo real...! Keira did great as Lizzie! An amazing film! !
  54. Feb 20, 2012
    A great Reader's Digest version of the classic tale. The cinematography is astoundingly beautiful. The cast is great, especially Knightly, who in my opinion really captures the character of Elisabeth Bennett. So good.
  55. Aug 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best adapted screenplay that i've ever seen, it even surpass the novel, i think. Keira's performance is perfect, every movement shows Elizabeth's archness and thoughtfulness. Just like Atonement, Pride & Prejudice is a typical Joe Wright's film, delicate and creative. Expand
  56. Feb 25, 2015
    I see this movie as the best adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, better than the production of BBC in 1995, that don't like me nothing, with his scenes that don't excite you and his cast which is a disaster in the sense of affinity for the characters (for me, of course). The version of 2005 is the most delicate, elegant and romantic, just as the book is, with a natural charm who loves. KeiraI see this movie as the best adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, better than the production of BBC in 1995, that don't like me nothing, with his scenes that don't excite you and his cast which is a disaster in the sense of affinity for the characters (for me, of course). The version of 2005 is the most delicate, elegant and romantic, just as the book is, with a natural charm who loves. Keira and Matthew has a special sparkle, this is a cast with chemistry. Joe Wright concentrated on providing us landscapes full of beauty that delight the eye, and that help illustrate the story of love / hate of Elizabeth and Darcy, not only acting and dialogues tell the story if the effects (visual and sound) help spice. Perfect for me. Expand
  57. HayleyS.
    Feb 22, 2006
    Very good but not as good as the old film. Because nothing can best that one.
  58. LouC.
    Dec 3, 2005
    A lively and earthy rendition of Pride and Prejudice.
  59. BruceM.
    Jan 26, 2006
    An extraordinary telling of a remarkable love story. Only the first few minutes were OTT.
  60. Tim
    Feb 28, 2006
    Watching it the first time through I was blown away by the speed of the story and could hardly catch my breath as I tried to follow along with the story as I know it. But after the initial rush and my second viewing I was impressed and moved and inspired by the richness of the production and especially the lovely Keira. Some very wonderful performances and worth watching. The definitive Watching it the first time through I was blown away by the speed of the story and could hardly catch my breath as I tried to follow along with the story as I know it. But after the initial rush and my second viewing I was impressed and moved and inspired by the richness of the production and especially the lovely Keira. Some very wonderful performances and worth watching. The definitive Pride & Prejudice when you want a quick fix of Austen. Expand
  61. JimK.
    Nov 26, 2005
    Not one for period dramas and screen adaptations of novels, I was skeptical before I went to see this film. But Keira Knightley's stunning performance and superb cinematography - along with a healthy dose of wit and humor - combined to make this a truly satisfying cinematic experience. I highly recommend this film to the most cynical period-drama haters.
  62. LaurenH.
    Nov 28, 2005
    I loved it. I thought it an extremely good adaptation.
  63. BuckL.
    Nov 30, 2005
    Darcie is less aristocratic, and more shy. Lizzie is more cute than beautiful; and more forward.
  64. CriticsRmad
    Dec 1, 2005
    Great romantic movie. Haven't seen a period piece that didn't put me to sleep in quite a while. Story hits upon the main points in the book and was great. The ballroom scene makes you want to dance. Nice characterization and beautifully filmed. Good times for those looking for a bit of humor and romance.
  65. AnonymousMC
    Jan 24, 2006
    It's ashame the award groupies are not giving this superbly excellent film more noms. Cinematography, adaptation, direction and acting is completely on the mark. This one will be in my collection. I went twice to see it as well...as much as I try not to like Kiera Knightley...it can't be done.
  66. SaraR.
    Mar 26, 2006
    I loved this movie but give it a 9 rather than a 10 because I love the book too, and it did take some outrageous liberties with the book. If I was Jane Austen, I would be hammering on my coffin lid in fury at the omission of Mrs. Hurst, and some of the priceless exchanges between Mr. Darcy and Caroline Bingley about Lizzy's "Fine eyes" and what a wonderful mother-in-law Darcy would I loved this movie but give it a 9 rather than a 10 because I love the book too, and it did take some outrageous liberties with the book. If I was Jane Austen, I would be hammering on my coffin lid in fury at the omission of Mrs. Hurst, and some of the priceless exchanges between Mr. Darcy and Caroline Bingley about Lizzy's "Fine eyes" and what a wonderful mother-in-law Darcy would end up having. And of course now I have the DVD, I have seen the USA ending and agree that the script of that is diabolical. Barbara Cartland could have written a better version. There was a beautiful ready-made conversation in the book, about how Darcy fell in love with Lizzy, which would have been better and the kisses still added... ....Having said that - this movie was beautiful visually, the music was superb and Matthew Macfadyen is the best Mr. Darcy I have seen of the three versions of Pride & Prejudice I have watched. He gave an exquisitely layered, sensitive pperformance, melting the proud Darcy into Darcy the lover by exciting degrees until you just have to fall for him as Lizzy does. Kiera Knightley was surprisingly good as Lizzy and Tom Hollander was a hilarious Mr. Collins. Judy Dench was as magnificent as she was frightening, as Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Watch this movie with an open mind and you'll love it as much as I did. Expand
  67. Monagh
    Apr 7, 2006
    I think Keira was not the only powerfull player(what if nobody can ignore her talent)who made the movie lovely and romantic....,Except Sutherland & Dench as somehow supporters,it seems most of the people has forgotten about MacFadyen,he has done his best too;after reading articles and watching interviews i just thought he is not clearly noticed as Keira Knightley,what if i'm not his I think Keira was not the only powerfull player(what if nobody can ignore her talent)who made the movie lovely and romantic....,Except Sutherland & Dench as somehow supporters,it seems most of the people has forgotten about MacFadyen,he has done his best too;after reading articles and watching interviews i just thought he is not clearly noticed as Keira Knightley,what if i'm not his fan i think it is not fair,he deserves more....to be mentioned.....Don't u think so? Expand
  68. hw
    Dec 13, 2007
    Loved it until the end. That ending scene! Yes, it needed a Kiss, but did it have to be done in that over-the-top way? The dialogue did not fit with Jane Austen's writing & the way that characters express themselves generally. There must have been a better way to do that ending...
  69. ClintH.
    Nov 13, 2005
    A witty, well-acted adaptation of Austen's novel. Delightful and well-shot.
  70. DanaM.
    Nov 16, 2005
    Excellent. Go see it.
  71. LindaL.
    Nov 23, 2005
    I loved the A&E movie and have watched it several times. And I also enjoyed the 2 hours version very much. Acting is great, sets are beautiful and the romance very haunting. I will buy the movie and will watch it again.
  72. ZakT.
    Nov 26, 2005
    The filmmakers did an excellent job of retaining the humor of the novel. The set design is excellent, especially the Bennet's home. I usually dislike Keira Knightley, however I think that she was excellent in this role.
  73. GretchenG.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Would have been a 10 but for the stupid ending apparently tacked on for Americans.
  74. KristinaD
    Nov 24, 2006
    I will always prefer the 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle but this version was beautifully done and well acted. Definitly deserves acclaim!
  75. Sep 10, 2010
    Fresh, engaging and beautiful. A period piece as it ought to be: it transports you to a different age and makes the character feel real, "six inches deep in mud."
  76. Jun 7, 2013
    This film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it. With a fantastic screenplay, beautifully adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel, excellent cinematography, great music, and a stunning lead performance from Keira Knightley, you are absolutely taken into the era and fall for everyThis film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it. With a fantastic screenplay, beautifully adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel, excellent cinematography, great music, and a stunning lead performance from Keira Knightley, you are absolutely taken into the era and fall for every bit of this powerful romance. Pride & Prejudice is an excellent film! A must see! One of the best films of 2005. I'll likely lose "man points" for this, but I'm proud to have this in my personal collection. Expand
  77. richardb.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Quite exquisite. Best Art Direction & Costumes used in a modest naturalistic way. Wonderful moments of surreal subjectivity. Mr Darcy & Ms Knightly wonderfully morose & captivating, as suits each. Great, but you are constantly thinking of Bridget Jones and Bride & Prejudice and all the other versions of the tale.
  78. RebekahW.
    Aug 18, 2006
    i thought this was a very good film and that Kiera Knightleys performance was absolutly brilliant, you could not have cast a better Lizzie. I must however say that i was disapponted at best with Mttherw MacFadyen's attempts at the character of Mr. Darcy. All in all however a good film which i have no shame in saying i have watched numerous times!
  79. MartinJ.
    Sep 21, 2007
    The U.S. ending is just awful - I liked much more the European one.
  80. GregS.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Wonderful movie, full of life and love, greed and pride, hostility and forgiveness. Photography excellent but tends to overshadow the story and leads to gaps in dialogue. Strange that some much of the lesser character details were left out. Great show.
  81. JarrettF.
    Jan 20, 2006
    I would say that I walked away from this movie satisfied, pleased with the gentle pull and outcome of the storyline. I was certainly left with a thorough feeling of happiness. Addressing the negative reviews of Kiera Knightley, I will say that she was somewhat lacking in the vulnerability department for her character. However, for me, her smile, her knowing look, her wit, all essentially I would say that I walked away from this movie satisfied, pleased with the gentle pull and outcome of the storyline. I was certainly left with a thorough feeling of happiness. Addressing the negative reviews of Kiera Knightley, I will say that she was somewhat lacking in the vulnerability department for her character. However, for me, her smile, her knowing look, her wit, all essentially made the movie for me. I was entranced by her, and sense a rather clear sense of jealousy by those who spurned her. Young as she is, she is outstanding in her character work and diversity, brilliantly able to tackle strong female roles, and even a certain piece of my heart. Expand
  82. GerronK
    Nov 19, 2005
    Excellent!
  83. FrankN.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Wonderful film editing, direction, story, and good acting... Enjoyed the entire experience.
  84. DanielP.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Mike R is wrong. I am a man and i thought it was excellent.
  85. May 29, 2011
    One of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen so far, it excites me to think like formerly life was very simple, without the easiness of technology like nowadays, the honor and morals prevailed even on the difficulties of the time.A handsome movie that indeed accosts a story acording to the title, very good sound track and a amazing self-story. I only thought that missed something at theOne of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen so far, it excites me to think like formerly life was very simple, without the easiness of technology like nowadays, the honor and morals prevailed even on the difficulties of the time.A handsome movie that indeed accosts a story acording to the title, very good sound track and a amazing self-story. I only thought that missed something at the end, but i loved the all movie. Expand
  86. Aug 25, 2014
    This delightful adaptation of a British classic never strays from charming. Direction from Joe Wright is well-matched with his muse, Keira Knightley, and a band of astounding supporting actors.
  87. Jan 15, 2015
    Pride & Prejudice was basically exactly what I expected, so I was very satisfied with this one when it was over. The acting from Keira Knightley, Matthew Mcfadyen, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, Carey Mulligan, and Jena Malone, was very good. The costume design was brilliant and felt very time appropriate for the period it was set in. I loved some of the shots from thisPride & Prejudice was basically exactly what I expected, so I was very satisfied with this one when it was over. The acting from Keira Knightley, Matthew Mcfadyen, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, Carey Mulligan, and Jena Malone, was very good. The costume design was brilliant and felt very time appropriate for the period it was set in. I loved some of the shots from this one. Really some beautiful gems that knocked me on my ass here, including one particularly ravishing shot of Knightley standing on the edge of a cliff. Great, great stuff there. On top of that, it was really well adapted from Jane Austen's novel, which I have never read, but have obviously heard quite a bit about. For a romance film, I did not find it necessarily romantic (though it certainly is), rather it works quite well as a period piece from the late 18th century, which is enough for me. Thanks to great acting, strong direction, good writing, and some really gorgeous shots, Joe Wright's Pride & Prejudice is a winner. Expand
  88. Jun 29, 2015
    I cannot believe that there are people who do not appreciate this film. It is beautiful in its own sense. The setting, characters, and plot were shown as described in the novel, though I cannot deny the fact that there are slight changes done. It is not perfect, but it is awfully wonderful. I love it no matter what.
  89. EllenM.
    Mar 6, 2006
    A solid Calssic Comics version with much detail and many characters trimmed and scnese moved to more dramatic and less-domestic settings (e.g. the Rosings temple folly in the rain confrontation). Pemberly, too, is inflated beyond belief. However, well-acted, moving and with many period charms. The best version is still the BBC TV serial--6 one-hour episodes (minus commericals it's 4 A solid Calssic Comics version with much detail and many characters trimmed and scnese moved to more dramatic and less-domestic settings (e.g. the Rosings temple folly in the rain confrontation). Pemberly, too, is inflated beyond belief. However, well-acted, moving and with many period charms. The best version is still the BBC TV serial--6 one-hour episodes (minus commericals it's 4 hours on screen!), but this one got me into the book and the other versions. Expand
  90. RebeccaM.
    Nov 21, 2005
    The New Yorker's Anhony Lane reveiw and should be considered, Issue of Nov. 14 Page 101.
  91. PatrickD
    Dec 13, 2006
    I enjoyed this film with the cinematography being the major highlight. My problem with most period pieces adapted from novels is that usually fims are rather stuffy and drawn out. Here the plot moves fairly quickly and makes it entertaining for some with me included. It is evident that Keira Knightley is very comely, but cannot carry a movie by herself. I would recommend this movie toI enjoyed this film with the cinematography being the major highlight. My problem with most period pieces adapted from novels is that usually fims are rather stuffy and drawn out. Here the plot moves fairly quickly and makes it entertaining for some with me included. It is evident that Keira Knightley is very comely, but cannot carry a movie by herself. I would recommend this movie to anyone wanting to see a deftly shot film with quicki pacing. One more note I watched the American version which is worth mentioning because it adds a happier ending. Expand
  92. ElizabethP.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Cute, fun and pretty (a lot like Keira Knightley herself). For the real thing, properly acted and paced, see the 1995 TV series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Elizabeth Bennett should be calm and reserved, not PERKY, the mother should be shrill, the father should have more to say. And Colin Firth is just, well, Colin Firth.
  93. russl.
    Dec 15, 2005
    In a competitive field this production lacks the qualities that made the 1995 production with Jennefer Ehle and Colin Firth so remarkable. Darcy is unappealing; the camera lingers so long on Keira Knightley that it begins to look feel more like a promotional vehicle than a film, and the atmosphere of Austen, writing about 18th century morals and manners, can't survive the hectic In a competitive field this production lacks the qualities that made the 1995 production with Jennefer Ehle and Colin Firth so remarkable. Darcy is unappealing; the camera lingers so long on Keira Knightley that it begins to look feel more like a promotional vehicle than a film, and the atmosphere of Austen, writing about 18th century morals and manners, can't survive the hectic pace, noticeable immediately during the first ball where the music is reminiscent of the New York Philharmonic strutting its stuff rather than a small eighteenth century orchestra recruited for a country ball. In this production the book is a excuse to mount an extravagant Hollywood romance. If that suits your taste, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're more interested in these interesting characters and the class complexties of 200 years ago, you'll probably feel shortchanged. Expand
  94. RhettW.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Kiera Knightly is this generation's Audrey Hepburn. I admired movie more than enjoyed it.
  95. IsabelF.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Although I rather prefer the BBC series, I was quite 'flabbergasted' with the movie.
  96. JenW.
    Mar 4, 2006
    It was good for what it was a hopped up hollywood version of a beautful classic. knightly was what made it good but no one could beat jennifer and colin in the 1995 version. it must be hard for the actors to know that their movie will never ever come close to the a&e production the plot was undeveloped and the costumes were drab. ball gowns were supposed to be beautiful and flattering notIt was good for what it was a hopped up hollywood version of a beautful classic. knightly was what made it good but no one could beat jennifer and colin in the 1995 version. it must be hard for the actors to know that their movie will never ever come close to the a&e production the plot was undeveloped and the costumes were drab. ball gowns were supposed to be beautiful and flattering not pinched and dull. the lack of colour and taste was disappointing. the novel described the estate(longbourn) to be that an estate not a cottrey cottage. the countrside however was brilkiant. althought the a&e production had a good ending although it wasnt romantic the kiss scene made it worthwhile mr darcy was written for colin firth i think he plays it brilliantly but then again they dont make them like that anywhere else but England do they? Expand
  97. RobertA.
    Nov 11, 2005
    P and P "Lite" - It felt like it was made for the WB network. Not much dialogue, lots of swirling camera movements. The teenage girls were having a good time, laughing and screaming at the potential love scenes.
  98. SusanneR.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Better than I thought given the two parameter. The A&E mini-series still rules.
  99. WillH.
    Nov 4, 2005
    I saw this in Switzerland two weeks ago, and it was weak. Keria Knightley was really miscast in this role, and to boot, she overacts it. Her toothy grin was annoying. There was no passion, no subtle undercurrent of feeling between her and Darcy. Watch the TV BBC version instead. It's a far better rendition.
  100. Laura
    Dec 8, 2005
    My expectations were probably too high when I went to go see this (after all, the 1995 version was so superbly done). I was pleasantly surprised by Keira Knightly's performance, although she seemed a little rougher than Elizabeth Bennet should have been. It was unfortunate that so many characters and scenes had to be removed from the book in order to make the movie two hours long. My expectations were probably too high when I went to go see this (after all, the 1995 version was so superbly done). I was pleasantly surprised by Keira Knightly's performance, although she seemed a little rougher than Elizabeth Bennet should have been. It was unfortunate that so many characters and scenes had to be removed from the book in order to make the movie two hours long. Also, the casting of some roles (Mr. Bingley, Mrs. Bennet, Mr. Collins) could have been better. Overall, the acting was average, the writing was a little weird, and the interpretation from the book wasn't quite true to the story-but I would have to say it's a good "Cliff's Notes" version of the book. Expand

Romantic yearning hasn't looked this sexy onscreen in years.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    A movie for the age, and a keeper for the ages, Pride & Prejudice brings Jane Austen's best-loved novel to vivid, widescreen life, as well as making an undisputed star of 20-year-old Keira Knightley.
  3. If only Knightley had a co-star equal to her here: The 1995 edition of Colin Firth, come to think of it, would have been perfect.