6.5

1. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually stunning, yet the underlying story lacked futuristic plausibility and authenticity for the created realm. Initially I thought this was going to be this year's "best movie" despite the terrific competition, but unfortunately the movie left me scratching my head way to often. There's so many things I can nit pick to death about this movie that I can only rate it as "a good watch". There's so many questions I wish I could ask the writers, the director, and producers. Here are a few of the things that irked me most... (1) when reaching the planet, why wasn't the planet observed from space first to decipher the best place(s) to land and investigate? They should have treated this moment to be similar to how we in our present time treat Mars exploration. Study the geology of the planet and decipher where best to investigate further. Instead we got an immediate surface cruise with the hope of stumbling across an interesting feature to suggest that intelligent life exists/ed. (2) The removal of the space suit head gear inside the cavern just because some readings reported the atmosphere was similar to earth's air was extremely stupid and unrealistic. The risks... (a) unknown viral contaminates within the atmosphere that may not of been capable of being read by the scanner could have made the scientists deadly sick, any smart scientist wouldn't have risked that possibility, (b) any contaminates the crew themselves might have introduced into the alien atmosphere would have been equally foolish. Just think back to the history of our own world, when Europeans discovered America the sicknesses that got passed to the indigenous people were huge. The fact that all the other exploratory crew simply followed along after the male scientist took his off bothered me... was that a form of peer pressure or mass stupidity? (3) The Biologist and Geologist scientists. Part 1: When the crew discovers the dead alien body why is it alright for the crew to let the biologist guy walk away? Wouldn't the study of that corpse be one of the reasons he was brought along in the first place? Secondly, the Geologist guy, how is it that the guy who's supposedly the expert on understanding the cavern and the one who's in charge of the mapping drones, how is he the one who gets lost in trying to get out of the cavern? Plus, these two characters had the ability to stay in constant contact with both the ship and the rest of the exploratory crew while making their way back out. Not-to-mention, the Captain of the Prometheus was able to watch all of their exact positions within the cavern while being in constant contact with them. Part 2: These 2 characters were so scared of the dead alien body that they left the rest of the exploratory crew to get back to the ship, they also showed that same attitude when they were asked to check out a mapping drone which was signaling that an active life was near it, then when they find themselves back at the initial chamber they decide to have a look around? The biologist guy even decides to reach out in awe when being confronted by a worm-like creature, funny considering he was freaked out by the possibility of encountering something alive just a bit earlier and now he's all stupidly curious. Where did the character consistency go? (4) The investigating method the exploratory team had once the sealed chamber was opened. I'm surprised that the chamber wasn't treated more like a mix between a crime scene and a decontamination zone. Instead you had the characters simply walking around in awe, touching and handling a preserved alien head with their space suits and the AI character messing around and touching **** without using some sort of sample collecting tool(s). Plus, the fact that black goo substance was seen on the top(s) of some of these containers was that not enough of a reason to be more cautious about breathing in the air within that room? (5) The AI's decision to open the alien container inside the ship. First there's no evidence of him running any scans on it, which implies he couldn't have know the potential harm that could have been done to the atmosphere within the ship. He simply pulls out the vase like container from cool storage and he begins opening it. He even eventually cracks open the glass-like inner container to expose the liquid inside. What was a supposedly super smart AI thinking? That action endangered everyones lives within the ship, even his creators. Then there is the question of what happened to the rest of that sample? Did he destroy the rest after taking the amount on his finger to the male scientist or did he keep the rest of it. If he kept it, how did he prevent it from oozing like the black substance was doing in the chamber? BTW, the fact that the black substance was oozing out of the vases inside that chamber, does that imply that all of those glass-like containers were broken, except for the one he took with him? Expand
  2. Jun 19, 2012
    Yesterday I grabbed the popcorn, double sized drink, decided to leave the 3D glasses and sat down to watch Prometheus at my local cinema. I
  3. Jun 15, 2012
    This movie is just okay to me. The story doesn't make any sense to me neither. My fiancee and I was completely lost and don't even know what actual story about. Action is pretty good but story of itself is weak.
  4. Jun 16, 2012
    "Prometheus" takes off the veil of mystery and horror created by "Alien" and transforms it into a pretentious but hollow story, where the lack of realism in the characters and poor search of deepness in the themes are their major problems. This movie made me feel that Ridley tried to put 30 years of "alien ideas" into a single movie, and the result is a movie with no good structure that"Prometheus" takes off the veil of mystery and horror created by "Alien" and transforms it into a pretentious but hollow story, where the lack of realism in the characters and poor search of deepness in the themes are their major problems. This movie made me feel that Ridley tried to put 30 years of "alien ideas" into a single movie, and the result is a movie with no good structure that takes the magic away from the "Alien" universe. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2012
    in the critics vs. prometheus conflict, those who did not like, or actually the vapid script are being continuously scolded for expecting the film to have a developed theme, character development, and particularly for responding with extreme hostility to the illogic of the script and the absolute absence of explanations for what are supposed to be tantalizing artifacts and incidents.in the critics vs. prometheus conflict, those who did not like, or actually the vapid script are being continuously scolded for expecting the film to have a developed theme, character development, and particularly for responding with extreme hostility to the illogic of the script and the absolute absence of explanations for what are supposed to be tantalizing artifacts and incidents. difficulty is the fact that the film plays not as a prequel to alien but as a prequel to its own sequel. it suggests everything and pointedly explains nothing. which is why it plays as a two hour length trailer, instead of a coherently plotted story. visually extraordinary, but storyless. that's fine as a television episode, but completely presumptuous in a film. it is thematically indecisive at best and entirely overreaches itself. visually extraordinary as it is, the script is a scattered embarassment to imagination and logic. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2012
    You know how in bad horror movies most of the characters make really stupid decisions and you're just like "Wow, why the **** would you do that?" That's this movie.
  7. Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Charleze Theron was totally wasted here. The movie aspires to be great, but just ends up over the top. The focus on the cross was absurd and unnecessary, but typical of a lot of sci-fi these days. Too much religious fantasy, not enough sci-fi substance. Great f/x, sound, and music though. Expand
  8. Sep 18, 2012
    Prometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron'sPrometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron's character has a lot of dialogue but does almost nothing. David (the robot) is played terrifically by Michael Fassbender but suffers from a convoluted and confusing last few scenes where he goes from curious scientist to aloof murderer to possible savior all in the space of about 15 minutes. Shaw is presumably the protagonist although you wouldn't guess it or even want it. I watched the whole thing yesterday, went to bed content and woke up irritated. Basically, don't over think this one. Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2012
    It always amazes me how movies and television portray scientists as complete and total buffoons who do all the things a scientists are NOT supposed to do. This movie has that in spades. I just don't understand why Earth would send a bunch of misfits into space who don't know each other on something so incredibly important. Beautiful movie - just stupid and predictable.
  10. Sep 30, 2012
    Decent movie but too much was left open for a sequel.movie though did answer one question. Would movie goers watch another alien sequel if it is well scripted? Yes! Overall this just falls short
  11. Oct 3, 2012
    Prometheus is a prequel of the legendary Alien series of films all of which gripped for from start to finish Prometheus unfortunately does not unfortunately though this is partly due to expectations from the Alien series and the answers we were promised not being delivered.

I will admit as a stand alone film Prometheus is okay at best which is why i have given it a 5, it's story is average as far as stories go these days don't get me wrong the characters in Prometheus are excellent and play there parts well which creates a gripping emotion towards the characters unfortunately this is all Prometheus has going for it .
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    Just seen the film.
    I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.
  13. Oct 12, 2012
    The plot had great potential but both the dialogue and direction seems to have been edited to a level where a lot of scenarios/opportunites was left on the floor. The concept is really good but the whole package come out lacking. After watching the movie I wondered what was it all about.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.