6.5

1. Jul 28, 2014
    Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
  2. Jul 22, 2014
    Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
  3. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
  5. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  6. Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
  7. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up.
  10. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  11. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  12. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  13. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  14. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    Science Fiction or Faith?

At the end of the movie I was a bit confused about this movie leaving unanswered questions. But after thinking about it for some time and few discussions some were answered and I am hoping rest will be answered in the potential sequel as told by director Scott. I haven't seen 'Alien' the film which 'Prometheus' is supposed to be prequel to yet, so my review is
    treating Prometheus independently. I am ardent science-fiction fan and the plot of based on the questions like "Did someone design humans?", "Where do we go after death?", "Why there is life?", etc. which ponder in my mind everyday generated great excitement and expectations from this film but at the end was slightly disappointed by answers. Leaving where the story ends up aside Prometheus has outstanding visuals with slick cinematography, good performance by Michael Fassbender as a robot(who plays a key role) and generates enough suspense/thrills to entertain and thus receives a positive response from me. Just don't have too high expectations then you will like this film. Expand
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
    Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
    Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
    What are David's motives?
    Why was the old guy hiding?
    The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
    And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
  17. Dec 14, 2013
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  19. Dec 8, 2013
    Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
  20. Dec 5, 2013
    This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
  21. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
    Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
    I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them
    sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely. Expand
  23. Nov 7, 2013
    A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
  24. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  25. Oct 6, 2013
    Despite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, and fascinating, but suffers from poor decision-making on part of the writers.
  26. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  27. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
  28. Sep 20, 2013
    We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction
    genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
  29. Sep 12, 2013
    unexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of the story with pros and cons. pros is that story can only improve and become more delineated, understandable and astonishing with the next episodes. cons is that you exit from the cinema with the unpleasant feeling of having seen a movie interrupted without know when (and if) there will be the next part and with a lot too much of question with no answer. Expand
  30. Sep 6, 2013
    Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.