6.5

1. Aug 21, 2012
    Ridley loses Mojo

Never thought I would say it about Scott, but once you take the special effects away what you are left with is a really, really poor "B" movie. Poor in imagination, poor in dialog, poor in science and poor in execution.

The gaping holes in the plot cannot be filled by even the best Blarney you may hear from the likes of Lindenhof. Fassbender, an actor who I have a
    tremendous amount of respect for and is probably the best actor of his generation, did a lot of Scott arse kissing in the marketing lead up to this movie... well, it is was all for naught, his head ends up in a bag in a scene reminiscent of a really bad school play.

Great talent is lost through complacency. Let's hope Scott can find his Mojo and stop believing his own hype... starting with a better script would be an idea.
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    This is the best film I have seen this year. It is a big heavy picture. The ship, planet and aliens have weight and texture. You can feel their footsteps and feel their sweat and pain. Noomi Rapace is fantastic as are all the supporting characters. Certainly, all questions are not answered at the end, but that's okay. If I see a better picture this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    From the beginning of this movie where clues of an ancient civilization were found, to the ending where the prometheus space ship crashes into the other alien space ship, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. This is a movie you wouldn't want to miss.
  4. KJJ
    Aug 15, 2012
    It's unbelievable that Ridley Scott would actually take credit for directing this turkey. I was expecting at least something to challenge my mind. Not at all - dumb stereotype dialogue and characters, and plot that was telegraphed a mile away. The screenplay, other than the initial interesting idea, is a total ripoff / replay of everything from the original "Alien." Also (spoiler alert!), another evil unpredictable robot, wasted acting by Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce, pointless violence, and a mindless any inexplicable ending. "Alien" will remain a classic. This will be forgotten within a year. I felt cheated out of my money and two hours. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2012
    Talk about a letdown. While Prometheus has some great visuals, they aren't enough to make up for the uninteresting story, boring and sometimes stupid characters, and lack of tension of any kind. There's one cringe inducing scene that I found pretty effective, but that was pretty much the highlight of this mediocre movie.
  6. Aug 12, 2012
    As an Alien quasi-prequel, the elements that make this a prequel does feel like it's hurting the movie. The visuals are amazing. Fassbender great as always. But like Damon Lindelof's other infamous show (Lost), this film has a lot of big mysterious that not a lot have been pulled out unsatisfyingly.
  7. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  8. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked this movie. There are some loop holes in the story but this is also Sci-fi and therefore they dont have to play by the rules. Thats the whole point. The characters are rough and kinda cheesily written in some parts. Lets face it though have you ever herd of an alien movie winning an oscar for best writing or acting. Its an entertaining Sci-fi ride with great visuals and some stuff to send chills down your spine. See it for what it is and you will enjoy this movie. Expand
  9. Aug 7, 2012
    Basically, the theatre experience of Prometheus is like a date with a stereotypically dumb 'hot blonde' . A visual treat, fun while it lasts, but not something you think about fondly. ...And yes, I am that shallow ... but sadly, so is this film.
  10. Aug 7, 2012
    Una película hecha únicamente con la intención de recaudar dinero.
    Desde el poco respeto hacia la saga hasta los numerosos "bichos" hechos de un plástico blanco, que da toda la impresión que es de alguna sobra de una película de los 90, esta película solo hace que te desesperes. Que te retuerzas en tu asiento de agonía por un final
    que nunca llega.
    Grandes cantidades de incoherencias y nulidad de respuestas, aunque se anunciara como lo contrario.
    En fin, no merece la pena gastar tiempo y dinero por "esto".
    Reflexión: ¿Donde queda el alienigena fosilizado con un agujero en el pecho, desde donde se supone que salio un alien, de la película Alien de 1979?
  11. Aug 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply put. Director Ridley Scott does it again with Prometheus. just to say one thing, if you think this is a movie about aliens, It's NOT. This is a new chapter in the world of Alien, granted Ridley Scott does give us some suprises from Alien, this is not a derivitive of Alien. People have been complaining that this movie has alot of unanswered questions. The reason is that Ridley Scott wants you to use your imagination! This movie was beautiful, the acting was off the charts, David played by Michael Fassbender was incredible, the visuals were amazing, and the story was beautiful. It was a great movie. It was everything I had hoped for and more. Expand
  12. Aug 6, 2012
    First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story. I also liked the fact that the story is 1st here, characters are close 2nd. It is mandatory to mention than without Michael Fassbender`s and Charlize Theron`s exceptional performance, this movie would have ended a six out of ten. Also, for a fan of the Alien movies, this one is not in any way a pastiche nore does it interfere which the series. On the contrary - Prometheus answers some of the questions from the original Alien and mentions it in a subtle way. The story gives a pleasant feeling although one feels that answering few of the questions set over 30 years ago is the single and only purpose for this movie`s creation. I find the monsters well, silly. The action scenes are mediocre with the exception of the last one where the Prometheus takes off for the last time. Even though the suspense is probably the only thing of a thriller here, in my opinion it placed 3rd right after Aliens and Alien, because it is much better than Alien 3 and 4. It is memorable but not as nearly as the first two parts it prequels. Expand
  13. Aug 4, 2012
    The first hour is strong, there is a great sense of foreboding and mounting threat. However, the characters are poorly realised and fail to convince the viewer that they are worth investing any emotional engagement. After the relatively strong first hour, these flaws become more evident as the cast are bumped off, but that failure to care about them denies Prometheus the powerful ending it tries so hard to create. Disappointing, this could, and should, have been so much better. Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2012
    Don't understand to people who rate low this movie. This is simple amazing, you can't move from your sit while you are watching this movie, and when it ends you have the feeling or the needing of more...
  15. Aug 1, 2012
    Wonderful visuals with an extremely interesting premise ruined by a terrible script, awful characters and a severe lack of tension. Prometheus poses some interesting questions and much of what is presented is left open to interpretation which is always appreciated, but the overall presentation of these ideas is disappointingly weak and I left the cinema feeling rather let down by what I saw.
  16. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue doesn't seem to come from an organic place. It's the subtlest breaking of the fourth wall. The non-sequitir, delivered by the father, who in that instant, perhaps, temporally serves in the capacity of a ventriloquist's dummy playing, for dialectical purposes, the devil's advocate, could be the linchpin of understanding the abounding vagaries in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, the 2011 award-winning film that, as a result, was misinterpreted by literal-minded moviegoers who wanted the film to align perfectly with other Christian-minded ilk, most of which account for, without any provocation from an ancillary voice abetting a polar ideology, the existence of God. In a diner, the filmmaker interjects on the father's behalf(Mr. O'Brien has the filmic spirit), when after having just harassed the waitress about her slow service, he asks his boys: "Subjective point-of-view, you know the difference?" It's a rhetorical question, of course. Jack, in particular, knows better not to speak while his father is pontificating. "Subjective," the failed musician explains, "means it comes from your mind. It can't be proven." It's Malick himself, not Jack's dad, who pontificates against the film's seemingly didactic perspective that God created the universe. Consider the signs and syntax. Rendered in Kubrick's film language, with a start, we realize how the whispered petitioning of the mother and her eldest son to God could, in fact, be in complete discordance with the cosmic imagery. Are they speaking to the void? After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey, advocated science. Unmistakably atheist, the "Dawn of Man" sequence featured monkeys, our progenitors, as an afirmation of evolution, a theory first put forward by Charles Darwin. The absence of monkeys from the timeline in The Tree of Life would seem to be promoting a creationist take on man's origins, especially if you factor in the illustrated monkeys from the storybook(read: evolution is made-up) that the mother delivers to her three malleable sons. And yet, the 1968 sci-fi classic gets slyly evoked in the violent actions of a boy, the neighborhood gang's ringleader, who like the monkey that employs an antelope bone in order to smash things, also refashions a found object as a weapon, some piece of wood, which he brings down repeatedly on a garbage can. Science fiction(which, here, would later become science fact) is addressed more directly in the next scene, when Jack, galvanized by the potential for space exploration through the covert reading at night of a Jack Coogan and Fletcher Pratt book, helps launch a frog into the air via rocket, killing this proto-astronaut, and God, in the process. Although By Spaceship to the Moon precludes alien life forms, speculative fiction, as a general rule, is thematically secular, which begs the question: Is there a God in The Tree of Life? For sure, his holiness, has no hand in The Exploding Chest of Life(aka Alien). "Oh, God!" cries Lambert, the bloodied chief navigator of the Nostromo, as the xenomorph comes bursting through Kane's pulmonary cavity. Even if her lament was more than the mere cursing of an atheist, like Jack's mother, whose similarly phrased entreaty concerning her dead son goes unanswered, Lambert would come to realize that nobody can hear you scream. Heaven isn't listening. Vasquez(from Aliens), presumably, a Christian, because of the cross she wears around her neck, can afford to be religious, since the butchy-looking soldier's compeers are mercenaries like herself, not scientists. The private dies in a self-triggered air shaft blast, alongside Lt. Golman, no doubt comforted by the reassuring concept of ascension. As it turns out, in Prometheus, the sideways sequel to the original, we learn that the fighting between man and alien throughout the series is a sort of civil war. Vasquez's faith never gets tested. The soldier never learns that she had a hand in gunning down her maker's children, the mutated ancestors of mankind. In Prometheus, despite the fact that a startling series of events conclusively proves both the theologians and the evolutionists wrong, Elizabeth retrieves her cross from David, even though the relic lost its original meaning. She tells the android, "It's what I choose to believe," subjectivist words that sound naive, since the diegetic world of Prometheus lacks the fluidity innate in The Tree of Life filmscape, where God and science duke it out for adherents. Science, arguably, wins in the final sequence. Jack, by all appearances, works in a building more exciting than the one in Being John Malkovich. Instead of finding a portal that leads to the seat of the famous actor's consciousness, Jack, while riding the elevator, gets sucked into a wormhole, where he is reunited with his family, tricked out as their younger selves. Only as a young woman, can the mother let go of her maternal pain. Like Elizabeth, she invents a heaven. Expand
  17. Aug 1, 2012
    This movie surprised me in its depth of character, acting, and effects. Rapace, Theoren, and Fassbender performed their roles to perfection. However, despite several choice scenes, there are long stretches of little action or suspense. The long running time also makes this movie less enjoyable than it would be if some of the repetitive scenes were trimmed into a shorter cut. That being said, it is still a fairly good film with many positives and serves as a good prequel to the Alien film series. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2012
    I never could quite understood what it was going for. It was just a case of being a hybrid that didn't contain substance from either of its parent genres.
  19. Jul 27, 2012
    A technically well done movie filled with very stupid characters. Explored themes and brilliant ideas could have made this movie one of the best of the last ten years in the sci-fi genre, unfortunately, it was handled frivolously. The union of the talented Ridley Scott with the overestimated Lindelof just give an awkward result.
  20. Jul 24, 2012
    This move is a major disappointment. I expected more from the acclaimed director of Blade Runner and the original Alien. This is just a rehash of every SciFi cliche, form 2001 Space Odyssey to the Thing, and sadly the previously mentioned classics. The story is like bad fan fiction, full of plot holes and inconsistencies and wooden acting. Really bad. Save your money.
  21. Jul 23, 2012
    If you just had one word to describe Prometheus, it would be inconsistent. Ridley Scott's return to the genre that made his name is far from the triumphant one we all hoped for. It's undeniably visually spectacular, and there are occasional glimmers of Scott's past glory, but for the most part it's an uninspired piece of filmmaking. Michael Fassbender is excellent as the android David, and entertainingly channels Peter O'Toole in his performance, but his character's motivations are never really made clear. Noomi Rapace is decent as the film's primary protagonist, the God-fearing archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw, and thankfully doesn't try to imitate Ripley. The rest of the cast are unfortunately made up of under-performing A-listers (Theron, Elba, Pierce) and TV actors who were doubtlessly hired because they were cheap. You do get a few good sci-fi horror moments, though they pale in comparison to, and lack the expert use of tension in Alien, despite the fact that these scenes are essentially paying homage to Scott's original work. In the end, the most disappointing aspect of Prometheus is its story. After an excellent setup, it meanders and plods between set-pieces, and provokes more new questions about the origins of the Alien film franchise than it answers. Aside from Fassbender and Rapace, the odd moment of wonder and beauty (Prometheus' stunning initial descent onto the planet, David admiring the colossal glistening holographic star map that surrounds him) and a few knowing winks in reference to Scott's original sci-fi undertaking, Prometheus leaves a lot to be desired. The big ideas are there, but are not handled with enough insight, intelligence or creativity, which results in a diverting, but not particularly satisfying film. A sequel might be on the way, so let's hope that next time Ridley Scott endeavours to be braver, more original and more exciting in his creative vision. Expand
  22. Jul 23, 2012
    It's so stupid I hardly managed to survive till the end. It's pretty though, nice 3D - if it's what's you're looking for, this one is for you. My problem was that every single dialogue, every single decision, almost every move of the characters is completely stupid, it makes no sense at all. Waste of time :(
  23. Jul 22, 2012
    Very disappointed. All of the good reviews here (so many 10's, even Mr. Ebert?) just talk about how interested they were in the plot. The characters, with the exception of Fassbinder, were so neglected over plot that the movie was uninvolving for me. Huge character motivation holes. Really important things happen that don't seem to faze the characters or change their behavior at all. And for such an important mission, they seem to have sent the cast of Jersey Shore to accomplish it... Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a much anticipated movie. I was charmed by the visuals the trailers offered and the answers it promised. However, I found it very disappointing in several ways, mainly for its stupidity, characters and plot :

❶This is the stupidest movie ever. I'm a student in engineering and way smarter than ANY characters in the movie! The movie is filled with stupidity, often achieved by (top) scientists. This is the world's greatest expedition and they send a bunch of idiots, drunk, deranged and retarded people that don't even know why they are here until they've arrived! WTF is that? How can anyone consent going to a life-threatening mission without even knowing what they're going into or why? How can they properly prepare themselves with the right equipment? They also have no mean of defense and a non-existent security system with no quarantine. They ignore any scientific or safety measures while exploring the alien planet, to the point where they take off their helmets and expose themselves willingly to alien lifeforms! Did I mention that the only way they can visually communicate with the ship is with the helmets? The suits they use are inefficient, it cannot withstand acid nor fire. If I was the expedition leader, I would only send robots while staying safely inside the ship. The ship's captain alerts only 5 min before that a gigantic storm is on the way and that he'll leave them behind if they don't move their asses. They decide to take an alien head to the ship in a quad that can't even contain it properly. After it drops out the heroin decides to risk her life and the entire crew's to save the alien head from the storm, which they blow up 5min later while experimenting on it because they're to stupid to use they're own equipment properly. While this happens, one scientist decides to get drunk and gets poisoned by the robot with alien lifeforms (on behalf of the supposedly dead millionaire), exposing thusly the entire crew and the millionaire to certain and painful death. While two of their fellow companions managed to get lost with a 3D gps at their disposal, the captain and the expedition leader also have sex. It so happens that meanwhile the lost guys, who were scared to death to meet aliens 2min ago, actually do meet aliens, remove their helmets and treat them like home pets! No wonder they die but no one pays attention and they have no means to alert the ship's crew! THIS IS ONLY THE FIRST 15 MINUTES! This goes on for the rest of the movie, I'm not saying that the scenarists should look into every scientific details but most of the time all it needs is plain common sense, something that every character in Prometheus fails to adopt.

❷ Characters are the second major failure of Prometheus. Apart from being stupid and mentally retarded, the characters have no depth. This is probably why all the characters are so stereotyped : all the scientists are white, the horny doesn't-give-a-rat's-ass-about-science captain is black, the money-hungry expedition leader is a blonde **** the **** that eventually starts killing everyone is a deranged punk... etc. The only two characters that they bothered giving a somewhat personality are the heroin and the robot (who is not supposed to have any), they are also the only two survivalists. Apparently the other characters were just here to die, so why give them a personality? The thing is it's harder to feel anything towards them. Basically, the characters that rise above humanity's vanities (money, sex, alcohol, eternal life) or that have some kind of
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    Sloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence had been insulted by this film. However, Michael Fassbender, despite the pointless actions of his character, did an amazing job as David. The CGI was also top notch, but that's not really something out of the ordinary in today's films. Expand
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    Prometheus was slow and dull. It was predictable and I felt myself wishing the long-drawn out affair would be over. It had little of the intensity of Alien and really lacked drive. On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were very good and I enjoyed the 3D effects. There weren't any obvious moments where Scott had pushed something towards the camera etc. to get the best use of 3D technology but it was more subtle. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    First off, I think most people were upset with this movie because they thought it was going to be an Alien movie, which even I knew before it came out that it wasn't. I came into this having only watching Alien vs Predator and not the original Alien movies. I found this to be one of the best movies I have watched in a long time. The CGI is top notch and might be the best I have ever seen in a movie. People who said the plot was confusing really must have not been paying attention. The plot was very engaging and kept you wondering what was gonna happen next. There are some unanswered questions, the most of which being the opening scene. However, the ending was set up perfectly for a sequel, which I hope they make. After watching it, I went and watched the original alien movies. I still found Prometheus to be one of the best prequels to a movie ever made. It showed how the Alien came to be and did it perfectly. Expand
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    Ever since 2002, when Ridley Scott and James Cameron approached FOX about making an ALIEN 5, i was just wishing for it to happen. So when Ridley confirmed a few years ago that he was going back to Sci-Fi and to the ALIEN franchise i was totally jazzed. Then when the teasers and trailers started popping up it mesmerised me and i just wanted to see this movie ASAP, it was by far the one film that i most wanted to see this year.

So to my actual thoughts on the film, it starts off great and it
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing in contribution to the film in its entirety.

People have lauded this film as if it is some avant-garde, incredible work of art for in the least its name being a reference to the Greek myth where Man is made, given the ability to make fire, metaphysical overtones, and the obvious reference to the story of the birth of Christ does little to actually help the film. If anything, these allusions are made to make the film seem deeper than it is. Again, the premise is the best part, and while I was enjoying it so much as I am a huge fan of science fiction, there came a time in the film when I was struggling to come up with warrants to justify why the film was good. I am capable to logic and reasoning- people complain at how analytical I am at times - yet, hopefully not to sound cyclical, it was when the film started to drag on that I, in retrospect, should have walked out. I have never walked out on a film before (except for the second installment of Lord of the Rings, due to the fact I couldn't stand the directing). At least I got to watch that movie for free. I regret having spent $9 to see this movie. It had some good scenes though and I know not to watch this as if it is an Alien film, but treat it more like a separate sci fi film (given the ending, t is impossible to - I will say no more).

To describe this film, only word word is required. Terrible.
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end), treated in a hasty and pretentious, new-age-ish way, which is quite a shame for a picture with a tonn of small resemblances with the genre's classics (think of 2001: Space Odyssey, Blade Runner or, more recently, Mission to Mars etc.) and books (In the Mountain of Madness, some hints at King Lear's parental drama). It seems to me that after 30 years of absence from sci-fi universe Ridley Scott wanted to tell us everything, ending with telling us nothing in specific. 6/10 for the plot, boosted to 7/10 due to great technical elements. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.