7.3

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Steering away from purely kids humor like Dr. Seuss adaptationsm, in my opinion a good thing, this Pixar film is unconventional in that it directly parodies the western genre, with violence and mature humor. This is not as endearing a story as 'Toy Story' or 'The Incredibles', with less importance and a more external focus but it certainly is unconventional fun.
  2. Aug 1, 2014
    Rango es una película que no solo cuenta con buenos efectos de animación, si no que además ofrece una historia entretenida e interesante situada al estilo de "viejo oeste".
  3. May 6, 2014
    A funny movie that is definitely re-watchable, terrific voice-acting, a great storyline and many funny moments is what makes this such a great movie to watch
  4. May 3, 2014
    To all people who're looking for some intresting,dramatic and fun animation with deep story... Ignore all critics and just watch the movie till the end! First 20 minutes are boring that's true but how can people vote negative by only watching the beginning? For me it was a nearly perfect animation....
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    What a glorious surprise ‘Rango’ turned out to be, it isn’t a dumbed down animated comedy or a family-oriented cartoon, its a very smart and beautifully rendered adventure that is a treat to look at, with a vast array of colourful and larger than life characters that look bright and cheerful as they light up the already bright screen. The setting of of the film is first and foremost, a Western, it delivers subtle but also not so subtle nods to the genre that defined an era, even if you haven’t seen the many films it borrows its content from, there is still enough to like about it, especially Rango himself. Johnny Depp lends his voice to the character, a run of the mill lizard, but his journey to an unknown location is disrupted after a roadkill, so he ends up deceiving his way into a local town called Dirt, which is running dangerously low on water supply while also being held under fear from the various villainous creatures of the town. As the film progresses, its clear to see the linear it follows, much the same as a Western, it has the stranger who isn’t part of the town, he breaks social order by confronting the rulers of the town, while he also has the chance to become honest. Rango tries his best to pull the wool over the eyes of the citizens, but birds, snakes and other unsavoury creatures make this quite difficult. Each character has been excellently brought to life through their voice actor, and through their relevant roles on screen, Bill Nighy and Ray Winstone are the ideal villainous cretins who terrorise the town, so Ned Beatty’s mayor decides that Rango should wear the Sheriff’s badge. The witty and smartly-drawn humour of the film is brilliant, it’s sort of a grown-up animation that has a variety of deadpan humour. Director Gore Verbinski shows his skills when commanding the great action sequences, there is a delightful chase sequence in the many canyons of the wild west that sums up the brilliance of the whole film, fast-talking, fast-paced and full of characters who could easily belong in a real film, they have limitless amounts of energy while the film has limitless amounts of opportunities to parody classical films such as Apocalypse Now and the endless amount of Westerns, it even use the talents of Timothy Olyphant to nod in the direction of the “Man With No Name”. This is a surprising and uplifting comedy that is colourful, breathtaking to look at and definitely raises the bar for a first rate story along with some excellent involvement of Hollywood stars, they bring the added flavour to the characters involved as Rango tries to figure out the water problem. Beauty and first-rate entertainment at its finest. Expand
  6. Aug 16, 2013
    While Rango’s story and characters are cliché it is not that distracting because of how entertaining the film is. It is edgy with some mature writing, the characters are edgy and likeable, and the presentation is fantastic with some great animation and character designs. Had the filmmakers come up with a more original story this film would have been amazing but as it is it is still really entertaining and definitely worth a watch. Parents just make sure your little kids do not see this or they will learn a lot of fowl language. Expand
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    Un excelente comienzo para Paramount Pictures logrando una excelente pelicula, Rango demuestra gran diseño artistico y una gran enseñanza, agradezco a los productores por este gran Film.
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    Unworthy of its Oscar win. A boring plot line finished with a dull climax.
  9. Mar 11, 2013
    Not a johnny Depp fan but since I didn't have to see his hobo looking self, I sucked it up and agreed to make this a date night movie. What a surprise. It ended up being my favorite animated film. An action packed animated film that looks and sounds great. Love the Clint Eastwood reference. The snake was pretty bad ass! Packed a lot of punch for a Kids movie!
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    Rango seems to have divided opinions a lot. I don't think kids would enjoy it much, as the humor is dry and so is the setting. It may easily be perceived as dull and slow, but i think it's a clever movie. People may not be able to relate to the protagonist but there are other great movies and TV shows where the main character may come across as pretentious and annoying, but only confident artists would take such risks. I would always appreciate the avoidance of cliches of likable heroes, as the world is not made that way. But having said that, this is an animated movie and perhaps it should have done something to make it more accessible by children. Or maybe the time has come to deal with serious matters in animated films that should be targeted at grown ups. Rango had excellent visuals and script. The plot and the characters were all engaging. This is my opinion anyway. Expand
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    It`s pretty interesting! I say it`s a decent movie since it`s "unique", but it is kind of slow. Also the start really scared me, and made me think it might be worst then it was.
  12. Jan 10, 2013
    The beginning and end of this movie are the only parts worth watching. Those are the parts when you figure out the true meaning of the story. The middle is unbearable. If the town could turn cliches into water, the movie would end early in a much-needed torrential rain. I almost stopped watching. Usually cliches don't bother me so much, but none of the characters were likable. I couldn't hold on to anything worthwhile. If you watch this movie, just watch the first and last 15 minutes, and you'll have seen a decent short animated film. Expand
  13. Jan 1, 2013
    It looks great and has good voice acting. However, It's not all that funny. It got a chuckle or two out of me but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, It is enjoyable to watch, It simply isn't funny.
  14. Dec 6, 2012
    Great! The best animated film of 2011, hands down. The perfect combination of the Western genre and modern animation capabilities. Add to that some great voice work and you have a very entertaining film.
  15. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't understand why people say their kids didn't like this, (they just simply didn't understand the movie) but it is a great movie. It's not full-blown comedy, it's a mix of comedy, westerns, action/adventure, and, even some drama. I was thirteen, I believe, when this movie was released. I admit, I wasn't very interested in it, but my younger cousin rented it and asked me to watch it with him. He's only nine, and he really liked it, (maybe because I introduced him to "non-little kid" movies when he was younger." I ended up buying the movie. I was very impressed, the presentation, the blending of how the characters interact, and the story. Rango is a story about a pet chameleon, no, not lizard, who is stranded in the desert after a car near-accident. Within minutes, he meets an armadillo, who was the cause of the incident. He tells Rango about a town with water where he can go to survive. So, Rango sets off across the desert to find the town, Dirt. Along the way, he encounters a hawk, who attacks Rango until he manages to escape. Rango finds a drainage tube and spends the night. When he awakes from water suddenly pours out, with Rango "swimming" in it, he meets Beans, a "western" female armadillo who agrees to take Rango to Dirt on her wagon. Upon his arrival, Rango walks into a saloon for water, however, he finds that water is a very rare thing in Dirt and the lack of water is forcing the citizens to sell their land and move away from the town. When asked his name, the chameleon gives us the towns folk the false name Rango, who they believe is responsible for killing the Jenkins' brothers (7) with just one bullet. Soon, the citizens and Rango bond and tell stories, just when outlaws Bad Bill and his gang arrive. When Rango inadvertently embarrasses Bill, he is challenged to a duel. Just before they shoot, the hawk returns behind Rango, scaring away the outlaws. It then proceeds to chase Rango through the town, at which point Rango hides in a vending machine and uses candy to climb out. However, the candy is still wrapped around Rango's waist and the hawk catches him just as he grabs hold of the empty water tower base. Rango points the gun, but then decides to split the candy with a bullet. The bullet accidentally snaps a rope and the tower falls on the hawk, killing it. The towns people proceed to look over the hawk, realizing only one bullet was used. Rango then meets the town mayor, an old turtle. The mayor knows Rango isn't what he appears to be, but to keep the citizens' mind off of the lack of water, the mayor makes Rango the sheriff. Soon enough, Rango becomes entangled in his own deception. When the mayor appears to be behind the mysterious water disappearance, Rango and his group of rag-tag citizens set off to uncover the mystery.

Truly a great film and a solid 8-8.5/10
  16. Nov 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A studio-produced animated film that didn Expand
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    There's a lot going on in Rango, some good, some bad, and come outright confusing. The good; the cinematography and action set pieces are absolutely astounding. There are funny moments, for young and old, as well.
    The bad; you can argue that the plot is more or less nonexistent and was probably thought up in perhaps 2 minutes. Poor execution of said plot as well.
    The Confusing; There is
    some language that seems more orientated towards older audiences, such as a few mild swear words. And for a movie that was supposed to be directed towards children, perhaps not suitable. But, to older viewers, the dialogue is a refreshing bit instead of "Ah Crud," or "Heck!" Expand
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    What starts as a simple story about a lizard turns into a hero tale, parody, and spaghetti western all tied into one. John Logan's script is pure genius while Johnny Depp brings the small lizard to life.
  19. Mar 26, 2012
    Rango is the most unusual animated movie out this year, it is an original title from a studio that has never produced a film like this. Also it marks the first western in animation. While the story is like a typical western, it is still quite interesting. It tells the tale of big business taking advantage of the little guys. And how the little guys are just as important as the big leaders.

Another note worthy achievement is in the animation. The textures are so real and the movement is so fluid especially with the villain, a giant rattle snake. It goes for photo realism and achieves in creating realistic looking creatures. However, certain characters fall into the uncanny valley. Characters tend to look unappealing and quite disturbing. The musical score is also good. It captures the western vibe.

The movie has a lot going for it, except the humor. The humor to me feels forced and it tries too hard. It becomes pandering and quite ridiculous. The film and characters try really hard to be funny and weird for the sake of some cheap laughs. The movie also takes a while to start up and I mean a while. The movie doesnâ
  20. Mar 11, 2012
    Never seen anything like this. If people can't handle the originality about it, they should really not be saying anything about it. It reflects a lot of people. Lost and not sure who they are or where they belong, but in the end, realize they can be that heroe people need to look up to. You gotta be a little older to understand this movie, if not, you couldn't appreciate the point of this movie. It makes YOU grow a bit too... Expand
  21. Feb 7, 2012
    I was bitterly disappointed by Rango. It tried to be a cross between a Western and kids' movie and failed. The title character is an idiot and the storyline was mediocre. Save your money for another movie.
  22. Feb 4, 2012
    Rango is a film with lots of symbolism and witty humour. The film is very well acted by Johnny depp and is also masterfully animated, making visuals that are incredible to watch. However the film has a problem. I felt very distant from the story and it's characters I have no reason to think that but it's a reasonable feeling I had while watching this film. This feeling is enough to ruin the climax but still recognise the skill of writing and acting was put into the film. Expand
  23. Jan 21, 2012
    Rango is animated version of Jack Sparrow. Plot is not good. It is parody of masterpieces. It is not original. Characters looks so ugly. The onlly good thing about film is Depp and Verbinski collaboration.
  24. Jan 16, 2012
    Rango is a hilarious burst of originality, charm and humor with even a bit of chills. The film benefits from dazzling animation and Johnny Depp's colorful vocal performance. The film even succeeds even if it does have a bit too much innuendo. I give this film 83%.
  25. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved this movie. It is really interesting and well written and goes into the problem of teenagers and how it is difficult for them to find out who they really are and where they fit in this world. Anyway, that's what I got out of this movie. I can understand how many children may not be entertained by this movie. I would not recommend taking your kids to see this movie, bu I think parents complaining about the use of foul language need to get a grip of themselves. Your child, whether you like it or not, is probably constantly exposed to "foul " words like hell and damn at their school. It is not that big of a deal. If your that sensitive with your kids then do some research on the film you take them to watch Expand
  26. Dec 19, 2011
    I did not give a perfect score not to exaggerate, but certainly one of the best animated films of all time. A true delight that shows that not only PIXAR entertain and knows to send a message.
  27. Nov 19, 2011
    I fell like this movie misses any kind of audience, it's not one for kids for it's language, killing, and other controversial things, but also not one for older audiences because of it's juvenile sense of humor, it's starts off slow but picks up later but I was never really invested in it, I never cared about the characters or they're fates, and I feel the movie adds some stuff I'd just rather not see touched on in the movies I watch, it's not fun, funny, or really enjoyable, and I don't think it really knows what it wants to be, so this is one you can pass on. Expand
  28. Nov 18, 2011
    Rango has a great story. There is a big mystery behind it too, which also keeps you guessing. The visuals are amazing. The characters are so realistic.
  29. Nov 18, 2011
    The movie was good but certainly not what I was expecting to see. I was expecting a comedy but it turned out to be an action film. Yeah, a full on action film. So, if you're expecting to watch a funny comedy film with your kids or whatsoever, - this isn't the right choice. Some may even consider it scary.
  30. Nov 13, 2011
    It is like an average movie its little bit boring the jokes are also very dull. It is good to watch it once or twice the max. A very simple topic of the film the desert creatures are fighting for water and going on a stupid adventure. I didn't expected an average movie from Johnny Depp.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 7, 2011
    Rango is the poster child for those who are anti-3-D, and a great reminder that genuine creativity doesn't need a gimmicky crutch to appeal to audiences.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 5, 2011
    A certain percentage of the audience will instantly sieze on this as their favorite movie of all time, and a small, but not insignificant demographic will have nightmares. Verbinski and Depp probably like it that way.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    The best of Rango is a lot like the best of the first "Pirates" movie – crazily funny and rambunctious.