Rango

7.6

1. Apr 15, 2011
    This movie was wonderful and fun it is really a good start in 2011 for Disney, I have heard that some people hate it, I mean how can they say this the person that says this movie is terrible is really bitter and doesnt enjoy life, im tired of reading this reviews with people keep saying that most movies are terrible, come on people we must learn to love everything not matter what, execeptThis movie was wonderful and fun it is really a good start in 2011 for Disney, I have heard that some people hate it, I mean how can they say this the person that says this movie is terrible is really bitter and doesnt enjoy life, im tired of reading this reviews with people keep saying that most movies are terrible, come on people we must learn to love everything not matter what, execept violence! i recommend YOU to watch this. Expand
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    I just noticed that one of the few people who gave Rango a "0" also gave Sucker Punch a "10." Make of that what you will. Rango isn't as good as it could've been but it was entertaining and I wasn't sorry I'd spent the $12 on a theater ticket afterward. Great animation and it's intelligent in that it doesn't rely on bodily functions or T&A to get audience interest.
  3. Sep 5, 2011
    Having a young daughter means I often get pushed into watching family movies, most of which bore me **** but RANGO is an exceptional movie, the stark contrast of city slicker pet vs wild desert critters in a western themed story is brilliant.
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    I am partial to Pixar, but this was nice and cute. Did Johnny Depp help? I guess getting people to see it, but anyone could of voiced Rango. Pixar is just better at this medium.
  5. Apr 25, 2011
    Alright all you cinema lovers youâ
  6. May 4, 2011
    PG - 107mins - Animation/Adventure/Comedy - 4th March 2011

With western films seemingly on the comeback in recent years, it was only a matter of time before an animated version of the wild wild west made it to our screens and it has done so in the guise of Rango. Rango (Johnny Depp) is an eccentric chameleon with ambitions of one day becoming the thespian that he believes he is destined
    PG - 107mins - Animation/Adventure/Comedy - 4th March 2011

Rango (Johnny Depp) is an eccentric chameleon with ambitions of one day becoming the thespian that he believes he is destined to be. Fate casts him a die and as with many animated films these days catapults him from within his comfort zone, accompanied by his ever trusty sidekick Mr. Timms (a plastic goldfish) into the barren and unforgiving wild... the wild west in fact. As usual Depp brings his own unique style to the character of Rango really making it his own.

Rango meets up with many other inhabitants of the desert (20+) who are quirky and unique animals in their own right giving the movie real depth and I have to say that the visuals in this are stunning. They are some of the best out there and it really is starting to get to that point that you forget it is an animation with the scenery and hot dry climate being portrayed looking top notch. Add the gritty aforementioned critters who look like they have been worn down by the desert sands over time and it's a hats off to the animators who have outdone their Pixar/Dreamworks rivals (it's a Nickelodeon production for those wondering).

The movies humour is great and combines lots of slapstick, good one liners and excellent facial expressions that really got me going but this I felt is traded off, if only slightly, as the movie advances so that the plot can develop further. As usual with these films there is some subtle and some not so subtle comic references for the older generations that are likely to swoop over a few younger heads. Links to old wild west films are strewn in as well with the spirit of the west and the man with no name making their traditional western appearances. In fact more so than usual I would say that the humour is based more towards an adult audience than that of a children's one.

Throughout the movie four singing mariachi owls accompany Rango narrating his tale a la the three mice from Babe, well not quite but you get the gist- maybe more akin to the rooster from Robin Hood and provide another perspective that does well to break the movie up and add to the comedy of it all. The mariachi owls music and the movie score also draws you in and any movie that can play Ride of the Valkyries on a banjo and still make it sound good wins my vote! Hans Zimmer (Batman, Inception, Gladiator, Lion King to name but a few) working his musical ability once again.

All in all Rango has managed to combine great jokes, funny characters and stunning visuals within a solid story. The combination of Depp and Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean 1,2,3) has worked well again and it seems to have broken the mould in so far as it's a children's animation and yet I can see the adults coming away with the bigger smiles.

Favourite quote: Owl 1 (In your best Mexican accent): "Here in Mojave desert animals have had millions of years to adapt to the harsh environment, but the lizard -- he is going to die."
    Owl 2: "When is he going to die."
    Owl 1: "Soon."

For further reviews feel free to check out: http://www.fanaticalaboutfilms.com
  7. Jun 25, 2011
    yeah this movie was awesome. it wasn't for kids. it was violent and funny too. good movie. i enjoyed it. it was weird too. it was a odd strange movie. i liked it. i thought it was good.
  8. Aug 7, 2011
    I must admit, I didn't know what to make of Rango five minutes in. The story does take a while to get going, and even longer to engage you. But when it does, you're in for a real treat, especially for film buffs. The bulk of the plot is a loving homage to Chinatown, but there are numerous other film references throughout, particularly, and understandably, to classic westerns. The filmI must admit, I didn't know what to make of Rango five minutes in. The story does take a while to get going, and even longer to engage you. But when it does, you're in for a real treat, especially for film buffs. The bulk of the plot is a loving homage to Chinatown, but there are numerous other film references throughout, particularly, and understandably, to classic westerns. The film looks great, filling a wild-west frontier town with hyper-real anthropomorphic animals, and giving your eyes a feast in extremely creative action set-pieces. The voice acting is top-notch, particularly Johnny Depp who makes Rango a classic good-natured lovable loser, Ned Beatty who tips his hat to John Huston as the town of Dirt's devious mayor and Bill Nighy who channels the venomous spirit of Jack Palance's bounty hunter character in Shane. Gore Verbinski is back on form, having made a clever, quirky, funny, character driven film more akin to the first Pirates of the Caribbean than their overblown and hectic sequels. The ending of the film is a little sudden and unsatisfying (though, happily it does contain the classic "riding into the sunset" shot) and the eco message is crow-barred in, but there is plenty in this rich, intelligent and humorous animation to satisfy. Expand
  9. Jul 27, 2011
    I sat down recently with Rango, Not really expecting too much from it.
    The movie was Surprisingly, good!

Pro's:
    - Excellent visuals
    - Enjoyable characters
    - Funny!

The bad:
    - Did drag a little
    - Somewhat predictable/cliché

10. Jun 8, 2011
    Who said animation has to just be for kids. The film tries to run with this idea but falls short with a overall childish plot. I have to give credit where credit is due, though the plot was lacking the film stayed true to western film culture leaving a child friendly 21st Century wester that can be cherished and because of that it gets a bump from 5 to 7.
  11. Jul 21, 2011
    A very good movie that is definitely not intending for kids. Not every animated movie is meant for kids people. Read some reviews of movies before you take the kids out and you won't be surprised. The dry humor and comedy in it had me rolling in laughter, but I do have a very sarcastic and dry sense of humor myself. If you want a laugh and a good time watch Rango.
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    It started out, what the heck did you buy this for? I then started hearing all kinds of different lines from all the old westerns from the 70's and 80's and then realized my wife did right. Awesomely funny! The Spirit of the West was the absolute. Who'd of thought Olyphant as Clint, perfect. Loved it, Loved it, Loved it.
  13. Jul 31, 2011
    I never heard of this movie until i went to see it in the cinema on the kids club a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and my 7 and 8 year old did too. Its not the traditional animated movie id thought it be. It has a strong story coupled with some amazing voice acting and some truely breath taking animations. Its fun, silly and sometimes serious in places but this is the best animalI never heard of this movie until i went to see it in the cinema on the kids club a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and my 7 and 8 year old did too. Its not the traditional animated movie id thought it be. It has a strong story coupled with some amazing voice acting and some truely breath taking animations. Its fun, silly and sometimes serious in places but this is the best animal crossover modern western movie ever put to film. Its not suprising that this is up for oscars next year. Very very good film, Johnny Depp is amazing as Rango and his supporting cast are fantasic too. Highly recommend to see this film and own it on DVD, I hope they make another style of movie like this. It is truely an epic tale. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a movie i would have payed money to see in theaters.But when i ended up watching it with my nephew , i was sucked in by the childish antics swirled together with serious issues.I was surprised that a movie with Johnny Depp as a cartoon lizard ; would address such issues as political corruption , resource manipulation , and political assassination.That coupled with a very monkish armadillo , had my interests peeked and i had to watch it till the end.The only thing i had trouble with was the villainous turtle .But as the story unfolded , the depth of his evil became very apparent.If your looking for a movie to watch with a young one , i highly suggest it ! Expand
  15. Aug 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  16. Aug 23, 2011
    A la fois parodie et hommage aux films à la Sergio Leone, Rango est un véritable bijou d'animation qui use de bon nombre de trouvailles comiques et de références à gogo (Las Vegas Parano, Arizona Dream, Apocalypse Now, Pulp Fiction...), dont les personnages reflètent à merveille le jeu des acteursA la fois parodie et hommage aux films à la Sergio Leone, Rango est un véritable bijou d'animation qui use de bon nombre de trouvailles comiques et de références à gogo (Las Vegas Parano, Arizona Dream, Apocalypse Now, Pulp Fiction...), dont les personnages reflètent à merveille le jeu des acteurs (ah, Johnny Depp...). Un film d'animation? On pourrait même dire un véritable western spaghetti!! Expand
  17. Aug 24, 2011
    Movie makes up for a few story faults by the gorgeous animation and quirkiness. My 6 & 9 year olds kind of liked it and I kind of liked it so that is good enough for a 7.
  18. Sep 10, 2011
    ts...Very...Weird, But in a good way, Depp did a fantastic job as Rango, along with Bill Nighy as the snake, and Ned Beatty as the mayor, Though my only problem is that, well one its very weird and by weird i mean, weird like its never mentioned again, like the tunnel in willy wonka, And there is al ot of stuff that could be skipped over and it wouldnt have made a difference on the plot,ts...Very...Weird, But in a good way, Depp did a fantastic job as Rango, along with Bill Nighy as the snake, and Ned Beatty as the mayor, Though my only problem is that, well one its very weird and by weird i mean, weird like its never mentioned again, like the tunnel in willy wonka, And there is al ot of stuff that could be skipped over and it wouldnt have made a difference on the plot, Half the animals i couldn't tell what they were. But the movie was just decent overall, its at least worth seeing once but its a movie that you have to make your mind up for yourself, the weirdest part however is when Clint Eastwood (known as the spirit of the west) Appears in a vision or something to rango. Its a very strange movie and is definetly not for kids, There are several sexual references, And 9 uses of hell and one point the snake says "Sign the Damn Paper!!!!" But it pays homage to some of the old western movies with a funny little reference to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" Which is also funny knowing how Depp was also in that movie. All in all a fairly decent movie with some good action, plot, and some good comedy Expand
  19. Sep 12, 2011
    Rent-it - Johnny Depp truly is Rango, a pet chameleon accidentally stranded in the Nevada desert, and just like Depp, Rango is charming, smart, creative, beautiful, and definitely not for kids! Though it definitely is an early front-runner for Best Animated Picture in 2011.
  20. Nov 3, 2011
    The voice talent is undeniably awesome, especially Johnny Depp, and the story is highly original and creative. Rango thoroughly exceeded my expectations. 4/4 stars.
  21. Nov 18, 2011
    Rango has a great story. There is a big mystery behind it too, which also keeps you guessing. The visuals are amazing. The characters are so realistic.
  22. Nov 18, 2011
    The movie was good but certainly not what I was expecting to see. I was expecting a comedy but it turned out to be an action film. Yeah, a full on action film. So, if you're expecting to watch a funny comedy film with your kids or whatsoever, - this isn't the right choice. Some may even consider it scary.
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    Rango is a hilarious burst of originality, charm and humor with even a bit of chills. The film benefits from dazzling animation and Johnny Depp's colorful vocal performance. The film even succeeds even if it does have a bit too much innuendo. I give this film 83%.
  24. Jan 1, 2013
    It looks great and has good voice acting. However, It's not all that funny. It got a chuckle or two out of me but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, It is enjoyable to watch, It simply isn't funny.
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't understand why people say their kids didn't like this, (they just simply didn't understand the movie) but it is a great movie. It's not full-blown comedy, it's a mix of comedy, westerns, action/adventure, and, even some drama. I was thirteen, I believe, when this movie was released. I admit, I wasn't very interested in it, but my younger cousin rented it and asked me to watch it with him. He's only nine, and he really liked it, (maybe because I introduced him to "non-little kid" movies when he was younger." I ended up buying the movie. I was very impressed, the presentation, the blending of how the characters interact, and the story. Rango is a story about a pet chameleon, no, not lizard, who is stranded in the desert after a car near-accident. Within minutes, he meets an armadillo, who was the cause of the incident. He tells Rango about a town with water where he can go to survive. So, Rango sets off across the desert to find the town, Dirt. Along the way, he encounters a hawk, who attacks Rango until he manages to escape. Rango finds a drainage tube and spends the night. When he awakes from water suddenly pours out, with Rango "swimming" in it, he meets Beans, a "western" female armadillo who agrees to take Rango to Dirt on her wagon. Upon his arrival, Rango walks into a saloon for water, however, he finds that water is a very rare thing in Dirt and the lack of water is forcing the citizens to sell their land and move away from the town. When asked his name, the chameleon gives us the towns folk the false name Rango, who they believe is responsible for killing the Jenkins' brothers (7) with just one bullet. Soon, the citizens and Rango bond and tell stories, just when outlaws Bad Bill and his gang arrive. When Rango inadvertently embarrasses Bill, he is challenged to a duel. Just before they shoot, the hawk returns behind Rango, scaring away the outlaws. It then proceeds to chase Rango through the town, at which point Rango hides in a vending machine and uses candy to climb out. However, the candy is still wrapped around Rango's waist and the hawk catches him just as he grabs hold of the empty water tower base. Rango points the gun, but then decides to split the candy with a bullet. The bullet accidentally snaps a rope and the tower falls on the hawk, killing it. The towns people proceed to look over the hawk, realizing only one bullet was used. Rango then meets the town mayor, an old turtle. The mayor knows Rango isn't what he appears to be, but to keep the citizens' mind off of the lack of water, the mayor makes Rango the sheriff. Soon enough, Rango becomes entangled in his own deception. When the mayor appears to be behind the mysterious water disappearance, Rango and his group of rag-tag citizens set off to uncover the mystery.

Truly a great film and a solid 8-8.5/10
  26. Mar 5, 2011
    Rango was a fun western animation film with this cool lizard that reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Johnny Depp's character did a good voicing and keeps his character for being so obnoxious and ackward for making fun for his performance.
  27. Sep 18, 2011
    The western animation "Rango" is impressive; its realistic graphics, dark & mild humor, and sparse bits of deep meaningful symbolism makes the movie equal to those of Pixar's.
  28. Mar 6, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant I will predict right now that it will not only be nominated for the Best Animated Oscar, but it will also upset the Pixar offering of Cars 2.

Rango pays homage to all of the western that came before from the Serio Leone style score to the John Ford visuals. Roger Deakins, cinematographer for True Grit and No Country, consults on this film and you can definitely see his influence.

This is not a kids movie, though Evan definitely enjoyed it (he also enjoyed True Grit), this is a real western with all of the dirt, death and violence you would expect.

The acting is brilliant and though there are name actors in the cast I didn't spend the entire time trying to guess who they were.
  29. May 31, 2011
    Just plain boring. The animation and cinematography is beautiful, but the whole film is just as dry as the desert it walks. The voice talent really isn't that great either. One can't help but compare this film to all of it's genre predecessors, and to that respect, this one simply isn't worthy. This one by itself is just......well, read the aforementioned.
  30. Mar 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tortured universe.

I hated all of the characters, and Rango most of all. He's a pretentious, obnoxious, annoying, stupid character.

Who is the audience supposed to identify with? The female Gecko? It's just too bad she isn't the main character, and doesn't get more screen time.

The CG is insanely good, the detail in each animal is incredible and their animations are believable and fluid, it's 1,000 times more impressive than Toy Story 3.

The environment these characters inhabit, however, is far less impressive : brown, bland, boring, and hopeless, I felt despair just watching the animals carry out their doomed existence.

The film depressed me. I have no idea what the snake is supposed to do now that he's had a change of heart, what's the poor bastard going to eat?

The Turtle Villain is a great Franklin Dealanor Roosevelt or Barrack Obama type villian, and I felt myself Identifying with this character the most, as he too hated everyone else in town.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 7, 2011
    Rango is the poster child for those who are anti-3-D, and a great reminder that genuine creativity doesn't need a gimmicky crutch to appeal to audiences.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 5, 2011
    A certain percentage of the audience will instantly sieze on this as their favorite movie of all time, and a small, but not insignificant demographic will have nightmares. Verbinski and Depp probably like it that way.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    The best of Rango is a lot like the best of the first "Pirates" movie – crazily funny and rambunctious.