7.4

1. Aug 1, 2014
    Rango es una película que no solo cuenta con buenos efectos de animación, si no que además ofrece una historia entretenida e interesante situada al estilo de "viejo oeste".
  2. May 6, 2014
    A funny movie that is definitely re-watchable, terrific voice-acting, a great storyline and many funny moments is what makes this such a great movie to watch
  3. May 3, 2014
    To all people who're looking for some intresting,dramatic and fun animation with deep story... Ignore all critics and just watch the movie till the end! First 20 minutes are boring that's true but how can people vote negative by only watching the beginning? For me it was a nearly perfect animation....
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    What a glorious surprise ‘Rango’ turned out to be, it isn’t a dumbed down animated comedy or a family-oriented cartoon, its a very smart and beautifully rendered adventure that is a treat to look at, with a vast array of colourful and larger than life characters that look bright and cheerful as they light up the already bright screen. The setting of of the film is first and foremost, a Western, it delivers subtle but also not so subtle nods to the genre that defined an era, even if you haven’t seen the many films it borrows its content from, there is still enough to like about it, especially Rango himself. Johnny Depp lends his voice to the character, a run of the mill lizard, but his journey to an unknown location is disrupted after a roadkill, so he ends up deceiving his way into a local town called Dirt, which is running dangerously low on water supply while also being held under fear from the various villainous creatures of the town. As the film progresses, its clear to see the linear it follows, much the same as a Western, it has the stranger who isn’t part of the town, he breaks social order by confronting the rulers of the town, while he also has the chance to become honest. Rango tries his best to pull the wool over the eyes of the citizens, but birds, snakes and other unsavoury creatures make this quite difficult. Each character has been excellently brought to life through their voice actor, and through their relevant roles on screen, Bill Nighy and Ray Winstone are the ideal villainous cretins who terrorise the town, so Ned Beatty’s mayor decides that Rango should wear the Sheriff’s badge. The witty and smartly-drawn humour of the film is brilliant, it’s sort of a grown-up animation that has a variety of deadpan humour. Director Gore Verbinski shows his skills when commanding the great action sequences, there is a delightful chase sequence in the many canyons of the wild west that sums up the brilliance of the whole film, fast-talking, fast-paced and full of characters who could easily belong in a real film, they have limitless amounts of energy while the film has limitless amounts of opportunities to parody classical films such as Apocalypse Now and the endless amount of Westerns, it even use the talents of Timothy Olyphant to nod in the direction of the “Man With No Name”. This is a surprising and uplifting comedy that is colourful, breathtaking to look at and definitely raises the bar for a first rate story along with some excellent involvement of Hollywood stars, they bring the added flavour to the characters involved as Rango tries to figure out the water problem. Beauty and first-rate entertainment at its finest. Expand
  5. Jul 10, 2013
    Un excelente comienzo para Paramount Pictures logrando una excelente pelicula, Rango demuestra gran diseño artistico y una gran enseñanza, agradezco a los productores por este gran Film.
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    Not a johnny Depp fan but since I didn't have to see his hobo looking self, I sucked it up and agreed to make this a date night movie. What a surprise. It ended up being my favorite animated film. An action packed animated film that looks and sounds great. Love the Clint Eastwood reference. The snake was pretty bad ass! Packed a lot of punch for a Kids movie!
  7. Mar 11, 2012
    Never seen anything like this. If people can't handle the originality about it, they should really not be saying anything about it. It reflects a lot of people. Lost and not sure who they are or where they belong, but in the end, realize they can be that heroe people need to look up to. You gotta be a little older to understand this movie, if not, you couldn't appreciate the point of this movie. It makes YOU grow a bit too... Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved this movie. It is really interesting and well written and goes into the problem of teenagers and how it is difficult for them to find out who they really are and where they fit in this world. Anyway, that's what I got out of this movie. I can understand how many children may not be entertained by this movie. I would not recommend taking your kids to see this movie, bu I think parents complaining about the use of foul language need to get a grip of themselves. Your child, whether you like it or not, is probably constantly exposed to "foul " words like hell and damn at their school. It is not that big of a deal. If your that sensitive with your kids then do some research on the film you take them to watch Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2011
    I did not give a perfect score not to exaggerate, but certainly one of the best animated films of all time. A true delight that shows that not only PIXAR entertain and knows to send a message.
  10. Nov 18, 2011
    Rango has a great story. There is a big mystery behind it too, which also keeps you guessing. The visuals are amazing. The characters are so realistic.
  11. Nov 3, 2011
    The voice talent is undeniably awesome, especially Johnny Depp, and the story is highly original and creative. Rango thoroughly exceeded my expectations. 4/4 stars.
  12. Sep 10, 2011
    ts...Very...Weird, But in a good way, Depp did a fantastic job as Rango, along with Bill Nighy as the snake, and Ned Beatty as the mayor, Though my only problem is that, well one its very weird and by weird i mean, weird like its never mentioned again, like the tunnel in willy wonka, And there is al ot of stuff that could be skipped over and it wouldnt have made a difference on the plot, Half the animals i couldn't tell what they were. But the movie was just decent overall, its at least worth seeing once but its a movie that you have to make your mind up for yourself, the weirdest part however is when Clint Eastwood (known as the spirit of the west) Appears in a vision or something to rango. Its a very strange movie and is definetly not for kids, There are several sexual references, And 9 uses of hell and one point the snake says "Sign the Damn Paper!!!!" But it pays homage to some of the old western movies with a funny little reference to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" Which is also funny knowing how Depp was also in that movie. All in all a fairly decent movie with some good action, plot, and some good comedy Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2011
    Having a young daughter means I often get pushed into watching family movies, most of which bore me **** but RANGO is an exceptional movie, the stark contrast of city slicker pet vs wild desert critters in a western themed story is brilliant.
  14. Aug 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  15. Aug 18, 2011
    i think that this movie is absolutely awesome, i really like cartoons and the new ones like rio, how to train your dragon, cars 2 and this are work of a genius! johnny depp was amazing, as always, and rango is the coolest lizard i have ever watched!
  16. Jul 31, 2011
    I never heard of this movie until i went to see it in the cinema on the kids club a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and my 7 and 8 year old did too. Its not the traditional animated movie id thought it be. It has a strong story coupled with some amazing voice acting and some truely breath taking animations. Its fun, silly and sometimes serious in places but this is the best animal crossover modern western movie ever put to film. Its not suprising that this is up for oscars next year. Very very good film, Johnny Depp is amazing as Rango and his supporting cast are fantasic too. Highly recommend to see this film and own it on DVD, I hope they make another style of movie like this. It is truely an epic tale. Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2011
    A very good movie that is definitely not intending for kids. Not every animated movie is meant for kids people. Read some reviews of movies before you take the kids out and you won't be surprised. The dry humor and comedy in it had me rolling in laughter, but I do have a very sarcastic and dry sense of humor myself. If you want a laugh and a good time watch Rango.
  18. Jul 18, 2011
    It started out, what the heck did you buy this for? I then started hearing all kinds of different lines from all the old westerns from the 70's and 80's and then realized my wife did right. Awesomely funny! The Spirit of the West was the absolute. Who'd of thought Olyphant as Clint, perfect. Loved it, Loved it, Loved it.
  19. Jun 26, 2011
    From me its a solid 10 ! So far the best animated movie this year, well developed characters with good voice acting and top notch CGI.But to be honest I had feeling this movie was made for little bit older audience especially with all violence and gun fighting...
  20. Jun 12, 2011
    I always said Johnny Depp should do more voice acting but in Rango he manages to combine several of his past characters into one oblivious chameleon,the humor the pacing and the rest of the actors are amazing,it's missing a bit of grip,some cultural references could have gone better but some moments your guaranteed to remember,anyway if you like Depp and animation than this film is for you
  21. May 14, 2011
    Hands down the best movie ive seen this year so far. I enjoyed every second of this awesome animated picture. It is Gore Verbinski's best film and i hope that they make sequels because this was well worth $10.50
  22. May 7, 2011
    So beautiful, so perfect, so perfectly timed. Finally Pixar has meet its match. This movie was perfect on all fronts, I didn't find myself bored or upset at any time in this film. Gore, please do more animated films!
  23. May 3, 2011
    This is the best animated film I have seen in a long time. Beautiful movie, absolutely fantastic to look at. Btw, all you over-sensitive idiots, this is what I would have wanted as a kid, a film that treats you like an adult.
  24. Apr 15, 2011
    This movie was wonderful and fun it is really a good start in 2011 for Disney, I have heard that some people hate it, I mean how can they say this the person that says this movie is terrible is really bitter and doesnt enjoy life, im tired of reading this reviews with people keep saying that most movies are terrible, come on people we must learn to love everything not matter what, execept violence! i recommend YOU to watch this. Expand
  25. Apr 7, 2011
    BLEW MY MIND INTO PIECES AND THEN FIX MY MIND THEN BLEW IT AGAIN. Johnny Dep more like Johnny Deep for the role of Rango I felt as if i was in the old west his acting was unbelieveable. I divorced my wife because of this movie she said she saw a problem i said I saw her leaving the house. Anyways Great movie have a great day.
  26. Mar 26, 2011
    Rango is indeed a quirky film; certainly not for kids, but still very satisfying. Not only a great comedy, animation, and adventure film, but also a great western. Rango is probably the first good film of 2011 and most people would agree with me. Plenty of great action and dialogue push this film along and it keeps on pushing until the end. The movie's theme is much more deep than I expected and the writing is excellent; something you would expect from a Pixar film. In short, I was happily surprised with Rango. Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2011
    Overall I would say one of the better 3D animated movies in a long time (IMHO). Visually unique and a funny movie for kids (and sophisticated enough for older viewers). I'm very happy we're starting to get movies like this and not just repeats of Pixar-clones.
  28. Mar 22, 2011
    Poissbly the best animated film this year will grab all awards from animation giant pixar, absolutely enjoyed it and loved how it page homage to the great westerns, amazing animated film :)
  29. Mar 19, 2011
    The film is worth paying full price just to see the mind-blowing animation. It's like watching the most detailed painting ever... in MOTION! Seriously, you will be entertained watching each character move. Doesn't hurt that the film is a hilarious, clever and surprisingly traditional western full of exciting set -pieces, nods to classic cinema and one of the most bad-ass cameos ever. Surreal brilliance. Expand
  30. Mar 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Who is the movie buff: the filmmaker or the protagonist? Is "Rango" the culmination of all the films that the hammy chameleon may have glimpsed perchance from behind his terrarium glass over the course of time in a home with a nearby television. In other words, is Rango's misadventures in the hallucinatory town of Dirt a moving picture, a post-modernist one to boot, that unreels psychically through his tiny reptilian head? It sure looks that way. From time to time, the domesticated(and cultured) animal constructs an invisible box in the air with his finger, which would seem to indicate a screen, as if he was setting up the next shot. It's a little bit of self-awareness on the film's part suggesting that it's the chameleon calling the shots, like a John Ford with scaly green skin, filling the mis-en-scene with costumed critters in a tribute to the old west that's more cracked than Alejandro Jodorowski's cult-classic "El Topo". "Rango" could be entitled "El Dopo". It's almost a stoner movie. If Rango is indeed the true author of the film-within-the-film, the next question we should be asking is if he's even alive? After all, terrariums don't come equipped with either seatbelts or airbags. When the chameleon is jettisoned from the back of his owner's crashing vehicle, does the impact of the road leave him unconscious, paving the way for his dreaming self to conjure up a glass shard, the remnant of a blown-out back-window which allows him to skid safely along the highway? If the armadillo(Alfred Molina) with the missing midsection offers any indication, Rango probably never did survive that vehicular accident, because only roadkill can hear other roadkill speak. Arguably, death is the best thing that ever happened to the chameleon with directorial aspirations. (This decidedly avant-garde offering actually has a lot in common with Brad Bird's "Ratatouille".) In life, Rango suffers from writer's block, somebody who is long on theory but short on story; somebody who can't even decide on a genre, mulling over as he does on a multitude of genre-specific roles, among them, a sea captain, a rogue anthropologist, and a Casanova type. Limited by the inanimate objects that make up his sorry compliment of ensemble players, the chameleon also seems to be disenchanted by his apparent medium, the play, as suggested by the demarcations of the imprisoning glass which confines the lonely varmint to a single setting, thereby converting his terrarium into a stage. Throughout his opening soliloquy, steeped in metafiction and existentialism, Rango interacts with "actors" who can't act back; he yearns for the collaborative experience that mere props simply can't offer, and a change of scenery from the fixed mountain range and sky which comprises the backdrop of his controlled environment; his laboratory for artistic development. Stuck in a sort of Brechtian hell, Rango indicates his desire to escape from the terrarium(which is, for all intents and purposes, a metaphor for experimental theater), and then to enter the filmic world, a diegesis, when he draws that first rectangular screen, a sort of portal which leads to the place where dreams come true. No more aimless soul-searching: this chameleon wants to break free and live. Construed as a death metaphor, the allusion to the "other side" that the sage-like armadillo imparts to his new scaly friend, can also be taken as a showbiz one, meaning the transition from stage to screen. Later in the film, Rango successfully crosses the highway, and on this other side, he meets the High Plains Drifter himself, which to the chameleon, is the perfect being, a god who looks over the weird array of cowfolks that populate his movie. In reality, Rango may be near-death on the highway, or on the side of the highway, so what we're actually seeing is an imagined life filtered through the cinema as it flashes before his(and our) eyes, which encompasses a span of diverse films(especially Roman Polanski's "Chinatown") that met the chameleon's approval. When one of the minor characters uses the term "man" in a speech(rather than "critter" or varmint"), the fourth wall is broken, because in this self-contained world, there are no humans to speak of. It's Rango who is providing the lines; it's Rango who is doing all the talking. His reptilian consciousness forgets to convert "man" into animal terms. Being domesticated, maybe the chameleon forgets that he's an animal, as well. Look at his god. It's Clint Eastwood, not some animal version of the venerable actor/director. Rango flatters himself. He may think that he was made in god's own image. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 7, 2011
    Rango is the poster child for those who are anti-3-D, and a great reminder that genuine creativity doesn't need a gimmicky crutch to appeal to audiences.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 5, 2011
    A certain percentage of the audience will instantly sieze on this as their favorite movie of all time, and a small, but not insignificant demographic will have nightmares. Verbinski and Depp probably like it that way.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    The best of Rango is a lot like the best of the first "Pirates" movie – crazily funny and rambunctious.