4.3

1. Jun 30, 2014
    Best movie ever. However North Korea is its own enemy by oppressing and enslaving its own people. I loved the action in this movie even though it is different from the original it is still awesome.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    People say that this movie sucks, I really don't know why they say that, you watch a movie to have fun, this movie, Red dawn, combines everything that teens like to become an amazing movie, great characters, story and sfx, ill be watching this movie as one of my favorites, always.
  3. Dec 2, 2012
    So the only reason I went to this particular movie was because it lined up with another movie we where going to watch and we had to watch 2 movies back to back because the tickets we had expired that day and my wife and i had an engagement with friends in the evening. I was not particularly enthused to see Red Dawn because of the horrendous score it got from almost every single critic. ISo the only reason I went to this particular movie was because it lined up with another movie we where going to watch and we had to watch 2 movies back to back because the tickets we had expired that day and my wife and i had an engagement with friends in the evening. I was not particularly enthused to see Red Dawn because of the horrendous score it got from almost every single critic. I knew they hated the acting and the plausibility of the story so in particular I payed close attention to both. As far as the acting goes it was very good, Hemsworth does well of course but his supporting cast also did well. The acting brought me into the movie instead of taking me out. The story was interesting and even somewhat plausible, it definitely wasn't so bad it made the movie ridiculous. I mean it is a fiction "what if" movie but I could see it play out if there was an invasion. I'm not sure to what success but still this is only a movie after all. One particular critic mocked a scene were a girl fires a rocket launcher, I have fired rocket launchers in real life when in the military and i fired it next to girls also firing rocket launchers so I'm not sure what was so unbelievable there. All in all the movie was a great time with an engaging story that made me and my wife glad we went to see it. As far as it stacking up to the original, I cant remember the original very well at all so i really have no idea. Expand
  4. Apr 5, 2013
    ReviewZone212 put it best, most people says this movie sucks. Well those people can suck it, this movie was AWESOME. Great action, great cast and for the most part of it funny and intriguing dialogue, my only gripe was that there wasn't really a great portrayal of a plot.
  5. Mar 4, 2013
    I'ts just a movie! I don't know why some people try to compare a movie like this with some chance of happening in the real world. As far as I know, movies are made do entertain people, to make people get out of their boring routine.
  6. Apr 14, 2013
    Like "War of the Worlds", with aliens replaced by North Korea. This is a truly awesome movie with an original story, great action, and lots of twists and turns that make this movie impossible to turn off. Awesome, truly awesome.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    I think this is yet another movie where the majority of the critics have gotten it wrong. Sure they could have dreamt up something a little more plausible than an invasion by paratroopers but the story wasn't so much about the hows or whys of war so much as to create a "what if" scenario. The characters were believable, the acting was pretty good, and the storyline was entertaining. ThereI think this is yet another movie where the majority of the critics have gotten it wrong. Sure they could have dreamt up something a little more plausible than an invasion by paratroopers but the story wasn't so much about the hows or whys of war so much as to create a "what if" scenario. The characters were believable, the acting was pretty good, and the storyline was entertaining. There were some funny parts and some omg moments. Overall it was definitely worth seeing in the theater. Expand
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    Why people are bashing this movie? I bought Red Dawn the night before, and I found it pretty decent, it falls apart throughout, but it is actually a decent watch, I enjoyed it, it was entertaining and exciting, not perfect in any sense. one dimensional characters, not really convincing but for what it is, it is a B popcorn movie to not be taken seriously but only for fun.
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    I never saw the original film, but I know that the enemies have changed from the Russians to the Koreans in the remake which shows the progression of America over the years. This is a movie for teenagers considering the are so many young people involved. Chris Hemsworth was badass in this remake, I really enjoyed watching him. It also has an unexpected ending that you will never seeI never saw the original film, but I know that the enemies have changed from the Russians to the Koreans in the remake which shows the progression of America over the years. This is a movie for teenagers considering the are so many young people involved. Chris Hemsworth was badass in this remake, I really enjoyed watching him. It also has an unexpected ending that you will never see coming. Red Dawn is definitely underrated. Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    This movie has a lot of action, and that's a good thing. So, they may have deviated from the original a bit, and that's fine. The acting is ok at best. Listen, I have watched BattleShip twice. I think the acting in that movie totally SUCKS. (Rihanna, acting, really?) The actors in this movie are far better. Go in thinking action movie, for about 2hrs, give or take, and you will beThis movie has a lot of action, and that's a good thing. So, they may have deviated from the original a bit, and that's fine. The acting is ok at best. Listen, I have watched BattleShip twice. I think the acting in that movie totally SUCKS. (Rihanna, acting, really?) The actors in this movie are far better. Go in thinking action movie, for about 2hrs, give or take, and you will be satisfied. Anything else, and you will probably be disappointed. i will recommend this movie on that condition. Expand
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "As a huge fan of the original, If you can put aside all the cheesy, corny acting of our leads, chances are your going to like this new take on the classic film. Its intense, exciting and builds up huge momentum on its original. I know i'm a wolverine." B+
  12. Jan 18, 2013
    Sorry critics. I try to see what people are finding so bad about this film, but there is too many things I like here that should be highlighted. For one thing, this movie pays much more respect the the "man in uniform" than "Act of Valor" ever attempted to have. The action is awesome, and we have reasons to care for the characters here. Unlike "Battleship", this movie develops all of itsSorry critics. I try to see what people are finding so bad about this film, but there is too many things I like here that should be highlighted. For one thing, this movie pays much more respect the the "man in uniform" than "Act of Valor" ever attempted to have. The action is awesome, and we have reasons to care for the characters here. Unlike "Battleship", this movie develops all of its characters. No, I have never seen the original "Red Dawn", and i'm not gonna let that affect my review. This movie stands alone as something entirely different. The point is, I recommend it. I feel that it is very underrated. Expand
  13. Aug 31, 2013
    I liked this movie, but it was a bit annoying how easy they take over everything. If you can get past all of that and not take the movie to serious it can be fun. I do think they should not have made it about some teens. It would be much better with Grown men. It`s not as bad as some people are saying it is, most people just seem to give a movie a 10 or 0 they know nothing in between.
  14. Dec 10, 2012
    I still have a difficult time believing that people listen to critics. I have an even harder time believing they get paid for what they do. This was a good action movie. It's as if they were expecting a thriller. I was also looking through user reviews and had to laugh at the illiteracy of most of the negative scorers. Are children rating? I can't trust an individual's opinion if he/sheI still have a difficult time believing that people listen to critics. I have an even harder time believing they get paid for what they do. This was a good action movie. It's as if they were expecting a thriller. I was also looking through user reviews and had to laugh at the illiteracy of most of the negative scorers. Are children rating? I can't trust an individual's opinion if he/she seems incompetent. Anyways, dairy for the tangent. Good action movie. If you haven't seen it, just remember......ACTION MOVIE. NOT PHILOSOPHICAL. Expand
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    I was surprised by this movie. I thought it was pretty entertaining. It isn't amazing, but it certainly isn't as bad as the critics make it out to be. I felt that this movie had lots of exciting action sequences that were both crazy with effects and very suspenseful. This is a touchy subject, but I felt that this movie was an exciting, inspiring movie.
  16. Dec 16, 2013
    This was a much better movie than people give it credit for. Every review seems to have completely missed the obvious overtones referencing the war in Iraq.

This movie introduces far more conflict in the audience than the original. The original was purely propagandistic in its treatment of the 1984 USSR. This edition, set against the historical backdrop of the insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan, makes the audience feel much more conflicted about the actions of an American insurgency.

Contrary to all the complaints about North Korea as the enemy (every review seems obsessed with arguing that the US is too tough to be taken down by North Korea, which is the mentality that the opponent exploits in the movie) this movie succeeds because it doesn't harp on the details of the enemy, because the enemy is secondary to the personal struggle of the characters.
  17. Nov 22, 2012
    It's certainly not as bad as the pro critics would suggest. As a tribute to the first film, it's decent, but it lacks the charm of the original. Hemsworth is not nearly as magnetic as Swayze. But it's a dumb fun action flick that keeps the blood pumping, so I'd give is a modest recommendation to those who are into this sort of thing.
  18. Sep 27, 2013
    It's mildly entertaining and highly unrealistic. I've never seen the original so I can't compare it to this remake. I can say that it can be entertaining at times but overall the odd casting choices and emotional moments that fall short bring the experience down. Still it can be worth a watch just for the decent yet unrealistic action sequences that are packed with explosions. The castIt's mildly entertaining and highly unrealistic. I've never seen the original so I can't compare it to this remake. I can say that it can be entertaining at times but overall the odd casting choices and emotional moments that fall short bring the experience down. Still it can be worth a watch just for the decent yet unrealistic action sequences that are packed with explosions. The cast does a good job but the only character that feels like they belong in a movie like this is Chris Hemsworth. Seeing Josh Peck and Hutcherson take down numerous Korean soldiers better than a squad of fully trained marines is more than a little unbelievable. Still the movie is watchable, so if you have nothing better to do then there are worse things to watch in your free time. Expand
  19. Feb 19, 2013
    Enjoyable action film. Didn't have close to the storyline of the original, but enjoyable to watch. If you are looking for a remake of the original, this is not it. If you are looking for an action flick, have at it.
  20. Dec 10, 2012
    Though it's not as bad as the critics make it out to be, there's no question Red Dawn is a silly, over-the-top, wannabe-bad ass sort of film. But despite all that, it's actually kind of fun.
  21. Dec 17, 2012
    I am a fan of the original and this one was just fine...worth seeing (probably more of a Redbox than a $12 movie ticket), but good fun, different enough from the original but close enough to "honor" it.
  22. Mar 29, 2013
    I was actually surprised with this movie. It has a lot of negative reviews so I expected it to really suck. I was actually really surprised that I enjoyed this movie so much. No it's not anywhere close to movie of the year but it wasn't that bad. Granted,I didn't see the original and that may change my opinion.
  23. May 30, 2013
    Okay, it's no secret that "Red Dawn" is not loyal to the original "Red Dawn," but that does not make the new one bad. Yes, a remake was unnecessary, but the movie was pretty legit as far a remakes go. It has the same premise and it did it well. What I took away from the movie is the execution, which was a mess. But I guess I still liked the movie a bit so I'll be nice and give it aOkay, it's no secret that "Red Dawn" is not loyal to the original "Red Dawn," but that does not make the new one bad. Yes, a remake was unnecessary, but the movie was pretty legit as far a remakes go. It has the same premise and it did it well. What I took away from the movie is the execution, which was a mess. But I guess I still liked the movie a bit so I'll be nice and give it a positive rating, because I'm just a sucker like that. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie isn't completely awful but it has quite a few flaws. For example the script for the movie kills off people that seem like the best characters, and it was one of the worst endings in a movie that I have ever seen. But the overall movie is o.k, it doesn't spend too much time in character development, it's action packed, and the plot was pretty good.
  25. Dec 6, 2012
    Oh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh onOh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh on Drake and Josh. Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    Red Dawn is a passable action flick, the acting is alright but still mediocre, Red Dawn enjoyable at times but ultimately fails compared to it's past installment. Give it a rental if you're interested but if you're not there's nothing Red Dawn can do for you. Wolverines? More like Puppies...(Man I'm not proud of that)
  27. Feb 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If Red Dawn was the first episode of a mini-series, it would be awesome and I would watch all other 5 episodes. It introduces so many plot points, such as the black kid's father being a sellout, the black kid having a tracking chip in him, the Korean general who threatened to handle things himself, and the huge opportunity for Josh Peck's character to evolve from a whiny, completely unlikable wanker in to a strong, inspiring and competent leader of the Wolverines.

But it isn't.

Would you build half of a bridge?
    Would you cook your food halfway?
    Would you sleep in half of a bed?
    Then why does Red Dawn have only half of a story?

None of those intriguing plot points are ever resolved.

When (spoiler) Chris Hemsworth's character gets killed, I honestly thought "There's no way Josh Peck and Josh Hutcherson can carry the rest of this movie."

Their characters hadn't developed at all.

Josh Hutcherson's character flip-floped all over the place, one minute puking at the sight of a dead body and the next minute robbing a Subway. Not an underground train, which would be B.A., it was the sandwich chain that he robbed.

Josh Peck's character had no redeeming qualities. He was irresponsible and had gotten people killed because he was so stupid. It would be interesting to see how he had to adapt and step up and grow as a person, having to take his brother's place.

I highly doubted that the two as actors could keep me interested in the movie to the end. But I was interested to see how well they could carry the rest of the movie.

But they didn't carry it. The movie was over. Their characters would never develop. The plot would never be resolved. The story would never be finished.

It wasn't an artistic, creative swerve that left you refreshed and intrigued. It was lazy.
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    This remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics areThis remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics are amazingly slick and successful for such an untrained group, but there's not much about this film that's realistic. Some of the action is good, but much of it is blurred and choppy Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    This has to be the year's most pointless remake: a boring and badly acted reboot of John Milius's gung-ho red-scare actioner from 1984.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Mar 11, 2013
    The doltish, messy and frequently incoherent result bears all the hallmarks of a botched and compromised endeavour.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Mar 11, 2013
    Long-delayed. Arguably not long enough.