6.0

1. Nov 12, 2012
    Heartbreakingly mediocre for such a list of good ideas.
  2. NatD.
    Sep 4, 2004
    Like a lot of people I avoided this movie when it was in theaters. However having seen it I was actually quite impressed with it in the beginning. The first 1/3 of the movie, the "set up" stuff before the real conflict begins was actually good. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it started to go downhill fast during the first battle with a dragon. From that point on it is mostly a Like a lot of people I avoided this movie when it was in theaters. However having seen it I was actually quite impressed with it in the beginning. The first 1/3 of the movie, the "set up" stuff before the real conflict begins was actually good. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it started to go downhill fast during the first battle with a dragon. From that point on it is mostly a battle between the conceited-American caricature played by McConaughey verses the less risky Eurapean European played by Christian Bale. The dragons look good in the relatively small time they are on screen. Expand
  3. NickT.
    Apr 6, 2003
    This movie could of been a good movie if it was'nt so stupid that's the only way of really putting it.
    Sep 4, 2002
    A couple of amazing stunt scenes and otherwise, just another B-movie, watchable.
  5. ChadS.
    Aug 4, 2002
    The spectacle of a greased-up Matthew McConaughey free-falling on top of a dragon while bearing an axe has got to be worth the price of admission. "So go on and have your little soiree," Van Zan (McConaughey), the American, barks at the Brits, who dance on the graves of his compatriots after a dragon is slain. Credit McConaughey with not going through the motions. He goes where The spectacle of a greased-up Matthew McConaughey free-falling on top of a dragon while bearing an axe has got to be worth the price of admission. "So go on and have your little soiree," Van Zan (McConaughey), the American, barks at the Brits, who dance on the graves of his compatriots after a dragon is slain. Credit McConaughey with not going through the motions. He goes where Schwarzenegger has never gone before. His eyes well up with (well-lighted) tears as he lambasts the limeys. Too bad Christian Bale didn't follow McConaughey's lead and go (intense) eyeball to (intense) eyeball with the underrated actor. As for the movie in whole, when the action shifts over to London, "Reign of Fire" does what few seemingly crappy films do, it actually improves after you've made up your mind. The final showdown is genuinely exciting, thanks in due part to the aftermath of a London burning that looks very convincing. Rob Bowman does direct with a modicum of style. If you're cynical, but not quite a snob about studio pictures, you're going to like "Reign of Fire". Expand
  6. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    Starts off like gangbusters and ever so slowly creaks to a crawl, but unpretentious and fun all the same. Matthew McConaughey chews scenery and cigar butts and the skydiving dragon-capturing scene is fab. I just wish the dragons were more specific in design.
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    Reign of Fire is a fun monster movie. The effects are mostly good and it has some decent action scenes. Reign of Fire also drags a scenery chewing performance out of Mathew McConaughey: "You go ahead and have your little soiree. Personally, you people make me sick!"

1. A collision of medieval fantasy and commando action movie, where you can almost believe in the high-concept mix-and-matching.
  2. Often incomprehensible (a combination of jumpy editing and lots of thick British Isles accents) and hardly ever entertaining - even unintentionally.
  3. The beasts are employed to splendid metaphorical effect, which may be lost on viewers perceiving nothing but an action romp.