6.0

1. Nov 12, 2012
    Heartbreakingly mediocre for such a list of good ideas.
  2. NatD.
    Sep 4, 2004
    Like a lot of people I avoided this movie when it was in theaters. However having seen it I was actually quite impressed with it in the beginning. The first 1/3 of the movie, the "set up" stuff before the real conflict begins was actually good. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it started to go downhill fast during the first battle with a dragon. From that point on it is mostly a Like a lot of people I avoided this movie when it was in theaters. However having seen it I was actually quite impressed with it in the beginning. The first 1/3 of the movie, the "set up" stuff before the real conflict begins was actually good. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it started to go downhill fast during the first battle with a dragon. From that point on it is mostly a battle between the conceited-American caricature played by McConaughey verses the less risky Eurapean European played by Christian Bale. The dragons look good in the relatively small time they are on screen. Expand
  3. UnderhugL.
    Nov 26, 2002
    Professional critics, they have all lost there sense of wonder. R of F was a fabulous fantasy with everyone and everything over-the-top. I'd take this over Harry Potter - utter crap - any day. If Roger Ebert dislikes it, its gotta be good.
  4. ImoenN.
    Nov 5, 2002
    THIS MOVIE KICKED SOME SERIOUS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. JurgenC.
    Feb 9, 2003
    Nice one , i enjoyed it.
  6. NickT.
    Apr 6, 2003
    This movie could of been a good movie if it was'nt so stupid that's the only way of really putting it.
  7. ColR.
    Aug 2, 2004
    This ain't a world beating movie by any means, but the CGI is VERY strong (see this and compare it to the big budget Harry Potter flix to see what I mean), and the overall delivery of the plot is very good. I can watch this movie over and over - it has an almost "Highlander" feel to it, and I'm sure one day, people will hold it in mind as a cult classic. It's very enjoyable This ain't a world beating movie by any means, but the CGI is VERY strong (see this and compare it to the big budget Harry Potter flix to see what I mean), and the overall delivery of the plot is very good. I can watch this movie over and over - it has an almost "Highlander" feel to it, and I'm sure one day, people will hold it in mind as a cult classic. It's very enjoyable and quite well acted. Anyone who didn't enjoy it really needs to ask some serious questions about their definition of fun. See it - you will like it. Expand
  8. LenaG.
    Nov 20, 2002
    I loved this movie. It was a decent storyline, once you listened to the voice-over when writing the letter. And the actors were wonderful. The only problem I has was having to pause the DVD and tell my kids what the British actors had said (the accents were very thick and mumbled). Loved the Tats to death!
  9. SabaH.
    Oct 28, 2002
    Wow! good stuff!
  10. ArnoldP.
    Aug 9, 2002
    The dragons are cool. The male one, anyway. The critics are wrong about this one.
  11. GannyO.
    Jan 4, 2003
    Good, exciting, and cool!!! Dont recommend to people who love dragons!!!
  12. BradyC.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Critics BLOW A$$ CHUNKS, it was an awesome movie needed more dragons and fighting with drogons instead of just 2 and how humans kind barley put up a fight, i mean we resorted to nukes what the hell im pretty sure that an F-18 SuperHornet could kick a dragon's a$$. A fighter jet goes like twice as fast. If a hellicopter can nearly outrun one well there ya go but all in all its a great flick.
  13. TK
    Nov 17, 2007
    Not the best movie ever... but mildly entertaining. The characters are somewhat likable and the story was predictable but decent. PS Aron, your not cool and couldn't write a review worth reading to save your life... regardless of what Mindy might think.
  14. Aug 19, 2010
    A stupid ending, with laughable dialogue and Matthew McConaughey looking and acting like something out of GI joe and yet I was never bored and found it quite entertaining. I'm a bit annoyed though because it's never as epic or explosive as it should be and never as heartfelt as it wants to be. The cover and posters are misleading
  15. AidanP.
    Jun 27, 2007
    I love this movie, its great. Don't know why it received such bad reviews, after all, its fantasy.
  16. Louis'sbrother
    Mar 21, 2007
    Best epic of the year! I was at the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie. The only problem is that the story needs some work.
  17. AaronH.
    Jan 6, 2003
    I know the people that rated this movie a 10 are complete morons but even the people who rated it a 2 have to be idiots. How can this movie earn any score greater then 0. Metacritic is lucky they don't let you give negative scores because this movie really sucked badly. 0-
  18. Mindy
    Jan 7, 2003
    I went to see this movie after reading Aaron's review. He happens to be on the money. This movie sucked big time. If I could give a negative score I would too. Aaron is pretty cool. He should be doing this professionally instead of these bought and paid for professional critics.
  19. ChrisMc
    Oct 6, 2005
    Good, enjoyable rubbish!
  20. Apr 21, 2013
    Very good post-apocalyptic science-fiction/fantasy movie with some interesting characters, good computer generated images and exciting action scenes. Unfortunately, everything inbetween those action scenes is somewhat dull.

Apparently some of the characters are named after environmentalist authors but I am not sure if this movie has a political message; I couldn't find it.
    Sep 4, 2002
    A couple of amazing stunt scenes and otherwise, just another B-movie, watchable.
  22. ChadS.
    Aug 4, 2002
    The spectacle of a greased-up Matthew McConaughey free-falling on top of a dragon while bearing an axe has got to be worth the price of admission. "So go on and have your little soiree," Van Zan (McConaughey), the American, barks at the Brits, who dance on the graves of his compatriots after a dragon is slain. Credit McConaughey with not going through the motions. He goes where The spectacle of a greased-up Matthew McConaughey free-falling on top of a dragon while bearing an axe has got to be worth the price of admission. "So go on and have your little soiree," Van Zan (McConaughey), the American, barks at the Brits, who dance on the graves of his compatriots after a dragon is slain. Credit McConaughey with not going through the motions. He goes where Schwarzenegger has never gone before. His eyes well up with (well-lighted) tears as he lambasts the limeys. Too bad Christian Bale didn't follow McConaughey's lead and go (intense) eyeball to (intense) eyeball with the underrated actor. As for the movie in whole, when the action shifts over to London, "Reign of Fire" does what few seemingly crappy films do, it actually improves after you've made up your mind. The final showdown is genuinely exciting, thanks in due part to the aftermath of a London burning that looks very convincing. Rob Bowman does direct with a modicum of style. If you're cynical, but not quite a snob about studio pictures, you're going to like "Reign of Fire". Expand
  23. IvanM.
    Sep 7, 2002
    We wish your rating system had negative numbers, cause we believe that a 0 is too much of a good rating for this piece of crap. 10 minutes after the movie started i already knew it was gonna suck, some guys are digging and suddenly they discover a dragon,wohoo great, 20 years later the earth is ruined. Seems like a 10 year old kid wrote the story, come to think about it, a 10 year old We wish your rating system had negative numbers, cause we believe that a 0 is too much of a good rating for this piece of crap. 10 minutes after the movie started i already knew it was gonna suck, some guys are digging and suddenly they discover a dragon,wohoo great, 20 years later the earth is ruined. Seems like a 10 year old kid wrote the story, come to think about it, a 10 year old would've come up with a better story, and last but not least, the drama pieces of this movie are so pathetic, id rather laugh than cry, i dont even know what made van zan complain so much, the part where he was outraged because of the death of his men, i didn't even understand the reason for the scene. Don't even bother watching this one. Expand
  24. BobbyH.ComeHomeandDrinkYourMilk
    Jan 8, 2003
    What are you two crazy??? This movie is a classic and my son Japple and I loved it. How can you not love a movie like this where they don't care about character development and they will do whatever it takes to fill up 2 hours so morons like Aaron go see it. Anyway please email me Mindy, I was curious to see if you were interested in having a threesome with CC and I. Okieee I gotta What are you two crazy??? This movie is a classic and my son Japple and I loved it. How can you not love a movie like this where they don't care about character development and they will do whatever it takes to fill up 2 hours so morons like Aaron go see it. Anyway please email me Mindy, I was curious to see if you were interested in having a threesome with CC and I. Okieee I gotta go home and drink my milk now. Take your tickets and bye bye. Expand
  25. Sam
    Oct 30, 2005
    Far from the classics that were also released in 2002 such as Signs and Spider-Man, yet good silly entertainment none-the-less. Don't expect much more, though.
  26. OMGwhatapileofcrap
    Dec 2, 2002
    Holy sh.t! When I read the stats saying only 83% of Americans could locate the United States on the globe I didn't believe we could really be that stupid. I took "Reign of Sh.t" to open my eyes. Hollywood excretement like that is only possible if those statistics are true.
  27. MichaelS.
    Oct 9, 2002
    I've really enjoyned this film. There some couple of good scenes but the performences are awfull! Great special effects with a dark touch. It's not that bad...
  28. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    Starts off like gangbusters and ever so slowly creaks to a crawl, but unpretentious and fun all the same. Matthew McConaughey chews scenery and cigar butts and the skydiving dragon-capturing scene is fab. I just wish the dragons were more specific in design.
  29. SimpsonS.
    Nov 19, 2002
    It's impressive how bad this movie is...no substance to the movie whatsoever.
  30. G.Rap
    Nov 3, 2002
    The action was pretty cool, and some of the special effects were awesome, but the storyline was a little weak.
  31. FilazaferX
    Dec 26, 2002
    This movie was actually very good. I thought the dragons actually looked better than the dragons in Lord of the Rings. If you like fantasy movies then check it out, if not then don't bother.
  32. Jovi
    Jul 12, 2002
    The Road Warrior meets Apocalypse Now meets Dragon Slayer... a fun all balls out film. It is 'man style.' I would have enjoyed seeing the film take place during the devastation as apposed to what it is now, a post world overtaken by dragons. But why complain? At least someone made a serious Dragon film where Dragons are dragons and not just talking know it alls.
  33. WRUzun
    Jul 15, 2002
    I went in expecting an action movie, what I got was a bad post apocalyptic soap opera with poorly developed characters and terrible dialogue. I won't even go into how improbable and devoid of reason the story is, the fact is there is not much action, and the action presented is not well done. I am being generous giving this thing a 2, I guess just for the idea, nothing in the I went in expecting an action movie, what I got was a bad post apocalyptic soap opera with poorly developed characters and terrible dialogue. I won't even go into how improbable and devoid of reason the story is, the fact is there is not much action, and the action presented is not well done. I am being generous giving this thing a 2, I guess just for the idea, nothing in the execution of this thing rates higher than a 0. Collapse
  34. EricS.
    Aug 12, 2002
    To its credit, "Reign Of Fire" isn't an overhyped, bad movie. It's just a bad movie. The friend I attended it with enjoyed it immensely for it's action sequences, but we both agreed it was short on plot and characterization. I understand that Greg Chabot, Kevin Peterka, and Matt Greenberg have more films in the works, and by what I've heard of their storylines, they To its credit, "Reign Of Fire" isn't an overhyped, bad movie. It's just a bad movie. The friend I attended it with enjoyed it immensely for it's action sequences, but we both agreed it was short on plot and characterization. I understand that Greg Chabot, Kevin Peterka, and Matt Greenberg have more films in the works, and by what I've heard of their storylines, they seem to have real potential. Let's just cross our fingers in hopes that they don't once again utilize their shaky writing method: One writes a scene, the other writes a scene, and so on. Recommendable to only the most avid beasts-against-man movie fans. For everyone else, you'd have better luck staying home and renting "Jurassic Park" again instead. Expand
  35. T.Y.
    Sep 27, 2002
    I liked it. A good dragon bash. I enjoyed the fact that the action sequences didn't become unbelievable like when characters manage to "Miraculously" survive, which seems to happen in way too many films these days. You leap at a dragon weilding an axe, you die! Its good (not great but so what) go see it.
  36. TylerG.
    Feb 15, 2003
    I only give this movie an 8 because C. Bale and M. Mconaughey are so charismatic. Sure, the story is a bit lame, but if you'd dropped your expectations of the director and embraced your appreciations for the fine talents of Mr. Bale and Mr. Mconaughey, you'd have give it an 8. A sequel would be perfect!
  37. Nov 9, 2012
    Reign of Fire is a fun monster movie. The effects are mostly good and it has some decent action scenes. Reign of Fire also drags a scenery chewing performance out of Mathew McConaughey: "You go ahead and have your little soiree. Personally, you people make me sick!"
  38. Jan 3, 2015
    Beautiful and dark, merciless and somehow realistic movie about survival. The dragons are beautifully made, and they stand out as extreme predators. Humans, for once, are really there for a lunch.

1. A collision of medieval fantasy and commando action movie, where you can almost believe in the high-concept mix-and-matching.
  2. Often incomprehensible (a combination of jumpy editing and lots of thick British Isles accents) and hardly ever entertaining - even unintentionally.
  3. The beasts are employed to splendid metaphorical effect, which may be lost on viewers perceiving nothing but an action romp.