Rent

7.3

1. johnf.
    Nov 29, 2005
    Memories of a world that doesn't exist anymore... much to my deep regret.
  2. JGarrett
    Nov 29, 2005
    I started to fall asleep during the first hour, then forced myself to stay awake for the remainder counting the number of other people falling asleep in the theatre. The play is better storyline wise, but this movie has fantasic singing and harmonies. Thumbs up for Jessie, Rosario, Traciee, Adam.
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    I am so glad that they made this film. I was four years old when the play opened, and so had it not been for this movie I may have missed out entirely, which would have been a shame. I am not a fan of most movie musicals, because, like novel adaptations, they generally cannot capture the true essence of an original work of art. This movie accurately portrays all of the emotions of theI am so glad that they made this film. I was four years old when the play opened, and so had it not been for this movie I may have missed out entirely, which would have been a shame. I am not a fan of most movie musicals, because, like novel adaptations, they generally cannot capture the true essence of an original work of art. This movie accurately portrays all of the emotions of the musical; although, regrettably, it only hints at the concept of a dirty, gritty New York without fully embracing it, as the stage version did. The movie, directed by children's movie veteran Chris Columbus, is easily one of the most moving musical films in history, as well as one of the most fun. There are a multitude of themes in this film, and the one I found most touching was the idea of always living life to the fullest, because you never know, this could be your last day on Earth. "No day but today" is a phrase that I believe, now more than ever, should be embraced by everyone. Expand
  4. MargaretD.
    Nov 27, 2005
    Alright, like many others I was a person who saw the stage play and eagerly awaited the movie to be released (my birthday falling on the same weekend was a pleasent coincidence) and I must say that I was NOT disappointed. For those who say that the film lost something from the stage to screen, yeah that happens with EVERY musical that goes to the big screen- but Christopher Columbus and Alright, like many others I was a person who saw the stage play and eagerly awaited the movie to be released (my birthday falling on the same weekend was a pleasent coincidence) and I must say that I was NOT disappointed. For those who say that the film lost something from the stage to screen, yeah that happens with EVERY musical that goes to the big screen- but Christopher Columbus and the amazing cast really made up the bit that was lost. The movie stayed true to the plot and message of RENT and every performance was good. Definently a 10 out of 10. Expand
  5. AnishaD.
    Nov 27, 2005
    It's amazing how critics just bash for the sake of looking erudite. This was a great film.
  6. GareT.
    Nov 28, 2005
    I adored this film. It moved me very much. There are changes from the stage show which are not necessarily welcome but, in hindsight, not necessarily missed. The ensemble performed quite well and like a true ensemble, with no real standout. The characters are flawed, as we all are, but they are perfectly flawed and I am drawn into their stories, their confusions about life and their I adored this film. It moved me very much. There are changes from the stage show which are not necessarily welcome but, in hindsight, not necessarily missed. The ensemble performed quite well and like a true ensemble, with no real standout. The characters are flawed, as we all are, but they are perfectly flawed and I am drawn into their stories, their confusions about life and their passions. Kudos for getting this done so that others can experience this piece. Expand
  7. EricJ.
    Nov 29, 2005
    This movie was so much fun, that I found myself singing along a couple of times, even tho I was unfamiliar with the songs. Based on the Brodway musical which was in turn Based on Puccini's masterwork, La Bohème, the movie is slyly self-referential when one of the characters refers to the Opera. Lots of wonderful characters of all sorts make this a movie to see again and again!
  8. abird
    May 9, 2006
    Throughly enjoyable. For someone who hasn't seen the play, the movie is refreshing. Watch it without being too judgemental about the socio-political implications, it is smart & sexy. It is abvious that this movie will polarise people's opinion beacuse of the subject .
  9. stane.
    Jan 2, 2006
    Loved the acting and the great music. Did not see the play.
  10. DaveD.
    Jan 6, 2006
    Equal to the play in every possible way. Everyone should see this. Chris Columbus translated the mood and songs from the stage to film wonderfully. I would give this a 20 out of 10, but I don't have that option. I found my soul at Rent.
  11. SteveF.
    Nov 25, 2005
    This very passionate Rent bubbles with life-affirmation, underclass anger and grittiness, and orgiastic choruses. It depicts one year in the lives of a group of friends in the Lower East Side during the sad age of AIDS before the drug cocktails. The music generally works but is forgettable, with the exception of three songs. Also, the story becomes threadbare and meanders at times, This very passionate Rent bubbles with life-affirmation, underclass anger and grittiness, and orgiastic choruses. It depicts one year in the lives of a group of friends in the Lower East Side during the sad age of AIDS before the drug cocktails. The music generally works but is forgettable, with the exception of three songs. Also, the story becomes threadbare and meanders at times, especially during the movie's last act. However, Chris Columbus has directed the movie well and maintains a fluid, raw and compelling stream of action and music. The actors are all good, especially Idina Menzel, Traci Thoms, Rosario Dawson, and Adam Pascal who all blow you away with their performing/singing. Expand
  12. BILLB
    Nov 26, 2005
    I saw the original Broadway cast a couple of times and the smartest thing Chris Columbus did was to cast most of the originals in their roles. There are some pretty heavy themes (addiction, AIDS, homelessness, transgender etc..) and yet it all ends up feeling very hopeful and loving in the end. I never felt sorry for any of the characters.....they all seem to be trying to find their own I saw the original Broadway cast a couple of times and the smartest thing Chris Columbus did was to cast most of the originals in their roles. There are some pretty heavy themes (addiction, AIDS, homelessness, transgender etc..) and yet it all ends up feeling very hopeful and loving in the end. I never felt sorry for any of the characters.....they all seem to be trying to find their own happiness. Rosario Dawson did a superb job filling the unifillable shoes of Daphne Rubin Vega as Mimi. As others have said, if you have an open mind or were a fan of the stage version of the show, you will enjoy the movie but if you have problems with the "muscial" format, this movie will be hard to watch. Expand
  13. IreneG.
    Jan 6, 2006
    Totally awesome movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it 100 more time...except that it's not in theaters anymore!!
  14. BryanJ.
    Mar 1, 2006
    This movie was great this is comming from a 16 year old the best movie i ever watched.. really for those who say this movie was horrible you dont know any movies you shouldnt be saying any thing.
  15. JulienP.
    Apr 1, 2006
    Rent was pure exhileration! I absolutely loved this movie. It has great acting and great music. Everything a movie should be! By far my favorite movie of the year!
  16. PeterB.
    Nov 22, 2005
    The film needed a visual, edgy director to bring the material to live. The musical has great music and a strong book, but Columbus was a bland choice who doesn't bring any passion or point of view to the story. It seems like someone is saying "Next Song..ok check the song list, thanks."
  17. SarahM.
    Nov 23, 2005
    I loved it. I thought Jesse Martin was absolutely fabulous. The Chicago remake was good, Rent was better.
  18. LeanneC.
    Nov 23, 2005
    I love it! I don't understand how critics can say things like, why don't they get jobs? That is not only a comment to a person of priviledge, but it is a miss reading of the movie. The film is dedicated to people seeking careers and lives in things they are emotionally invested in. When's the last time you saw an accountant singing about how great life can be? Never, I love it! I don't understand how critics can say things like, why don't they get jobs? That is not only a comment to a person of priviledge, but it is a miss reading of the movie. The film is dedicated to people seeking careers and lives in things they are emotionally invested in. When's the last time you saw an accountant singing about how great life can be? Never, because he is practical. Practicality doesn't necessarily make one happy, that's the point. Expand
  19. ErynS.
    Nov 24, 2005
    i really really loved the movie. and i'm probably going to see it again. i overall thought it was great.
  20. BillB.
    Nov 24, 2005
    OK, it was a faithful -- and safe -- adaptation of the original, but it mostly worked for me. If Columbus had changed things, people would be howling.
  21. AllisonZ.
    Nov 24, 2005
    This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Don't let the negative critics, who obviously just do not get it, stop you from seeing this film.
  22. LoriMcK.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Having seen the musical on-stage in the States and in England, I was eagerly anticipating this movie. I was NOT disappointed. This is a movie I will see over and over again - and love every minute. Excellent performances from the cast; excellent directing from Chris Columbus.
  23. MarkB.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Im very courious about the peeps who are giving this movie a rating of 5-0,weather they have A.) actually seen this.B.) From some good awful red state or C.) are Homophobic. This movie was great..It has on flaw it will be veryhard to stand on it's own without constant comparison to the stage show. I HIghly recommend this film!!!
  24. JamesN.
    Absolutely loved it!!
  25. JimB
    Nov 28, 2005
    The movie didn't have the 'punch' of the show on stage. But is that just the difference between the stage and movies? The music was still terrific.
  26. PaulL.
    Dec 25, 2005
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Having not seen the play, i had nothing to base it on...but found it to be full of heart and sincerity. Cornball as it can be, the film is moving and touching in it's enthusiasm to please.
  27. rachelb.
    Dec 4, 2005
    Best musical made into a film in decades!
  28. Caryn
    Dec 5, 2005
    I think this was the best i loved that movie i love the songs in that movie also i rate this movie one of the best and hope to see it is chicago that whould be fun!!!!!
  29. SeanH
    Dec 8, 2005
    Wonderful. The LA Times critic doesn't liek it because it's not about glamour and fame. Well, like the rest of us, it is about real life and its just wonderful.
  30. KateW.
    Jan 3, 2006
    This entertaining, touching film is faithful to the theatrical production while enhancing its emotional impact.
  31. SahagG.
    Jan 9, 2006
    The best, and least appreciated movie of the year! Brilliant!!!!
  32. LukeM.
    Feb 27, 2006
    This is a pretty good movie, that deserves more credit then it got. I thought that it couldave been shortened up a bit, but overall, it should be watched if you are even mildly interested in musicals or drama.
  33. PaulG.
    Mar 10, 2006
    Rent is a modern day adaptation to a classic production. Chris Columbus does a remarkable job at ressurecting this amazing musical to a film version. Rent deserves much more credit than it recieved. The musical composures are simply inspiring and the connection between characters is enough to drive a person to tears. This is one amazing move I will surely watch over and over.
  34. JustinC.
    Mar 1, 2006
    Film critics were harsh on this film adaptation, and though it doesn't execute the same as watching the stage production...it's really not that fallible against it. So why did musical critics rave about Rent, not to mention giving it a Pulitzer Prize and a Tony, and film critics detest the story on film.
  35. LexieT.
    Mar 12, 2006
    i absolutly loved this movie. The camera work complemented the songs and the way the film moved. this movie reached the core in me until the credits rolled. i found the way that angel died so moving and, unlike on stage, you were able to see what dying of AIDS really looked like. even though i have never seen the theater production of rent, i found this movie incredibly moving and meaningful
  36. Eddy
    May 15, 2006
    This was the most spectacular film my eyes have ever even dreamed of watching. I truly believe this film has changed my aspect of life. This movie was and still is my favorite movie of all time. I am not going to lie, I cried..... alot, and Anthony Rapp's preformance was flawless. He is now my most favorite actor. I have not yet seen it on brodway, but mark my words..... I WILL!!!!!
  37. JasmineM.
    Aug 22, 2006
    Rent is an inprirational movie. Based on Jonathon Larson's "baby" as he calls it, I believe this movie can allow people to feel better on whatever it is that they believe in. It can give them the ease to let them be whoever they are: homosexual or with an illness people don't even want to begin to imagine. I give this a definite 10.
  38. ColinF
    Nov 19, 2005
    Phenomenal! Idina Menzel makes an Oscar worthy performance. Rosario Dawson gives life, energy, and reality to Mimi. A master work both for fans of the stage musical and for those seeing it for the first time.
  39. MarkR.
    Nov 20, 2005
    I got the opportunity to preview this film, and all I can say is wow. I never had the chance to see the musical on stage, but I've had the soundtrack for years. It was phenomenal for those of us who can't necessarily pay $100 to see it in person to see it on film. I believe the message of Rent is too people in my financial bracket, so I am so thankful for the film version. It I got the opportunity to preview this film, and all I can say is wow. I never had the chance to see the musical on stage, but I've had the soundtrack for years. It was phenomenal for those of us who can't necessarily pay $100 to see it in person to see it on film. I believe the message of Rent is too people in my financial bracket, so I am so thankful for the film version. It brought tears to my eyes and everyone to their feet. This is a brilliant film, I highly encourage you to see it. Expand
  40. AlexandraA.
    Nov 22, 2005
    Marvelous! Touching, funny, and fresh, yet comfortably familiar for us Broadway fans. Tracie Thoms and Jesse L. Martin light up the screen, as does Anthony Rapp. Wilson Jermaine Heredia is an absolute gem.
  41. ChrisB.
    Nov 23, 2005
    I've read all the reviews and just saw the movie, and it seems that some of the negative reviewers clearly don't get it. These performers were there when this Pullitzer Prize-winning drama was born, and they and Mr. and Mrs. Larson are the only critics I need. Open your heart, mind, and soul to Rent, and enjoy it as much as I did.
  42. derrick
    Nov 23, 2005
    Movies rarely capture the true essence of stage shows, but "rent" is a fine example of how a moving, emotional play can become a truly dramatic and dynamic film.
  43. I.A.Serra
    Nov 23, 2005
    The audience in the theater was so excited while watching this film I hope it reaches not only the core fans base but the mainstream as well. Coming from the director of Home Alone and the first Harry Potter I expected something less authentic to please everyone. I was wrong: Rent: the movie is truly faithful to the original musical while taking advantage of the cinematic possibilities in The audience in the theater was so excited while watching this film I hope it reaches not only the core fans base but the mainstream as well. Coming from the director of Home Alone and the first Harry Potter I expected something less authentic to please everyone. I was wrong: Rent: the movie is truly faithful to the original musical while taking advantage of the cinematic possibilities in explaining visually the character's past, while paying tribute to the 90', a time that seems now rather distant. Expand
  44. ShawnS.
    THIS WAS AWESOME !!!!!
  45. DonnaS.
    Nov 23, 2005
    It was everything I hoped it would be and more. If you don't like musicals, don't go see it. IT'S A MUSICAL!
  46. DarylB.
    Nov 23, 2005
    The story now is more of an historical account of the 1990's rather than one of of today, but that does not diminish the power of the drama. The musical numbers are filled withexplosive energy.
  47. PauS.
    Nov 23, 2005
    Misses is the energy of the stage show but story and message remain whole.
  48. AndrewM.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Having seen the broadway hit, the silver screen version was a little bit of a disappointment. However, after realizing that a movie could in no way capture the edgyness or raw talent that the stage demands, i accepted Columbus' adaptation as a wonderful movie. It was generally true to the original story, the songs were well performed, and unlike many theatre-movie transformations, Having seen the broadway hit, the silver screen version was a little bit of a disappointment. However, after realizing that a movie could in no way capture the edgyness or raw talent that the stage demands, i accepted Columbus' adaptation as a wonderful movie. It was generally true to the original story, the songs were well performed, and unlike many theatre-movie transformations, the plot was quite easy to understand. All in all, it was very entertaining, in a thoughtful, rough-around-the-edges sort of way. Expand
  49. Beth
    Nov 24, 2005
    I am astounded by all the negative reviews. I left the theater with a huge smile on my face and wanting to hug everyone as I walked down the street. Is that so terrible?
  50. AmandaG.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Loved it soooo much. Great adaptation of the musical. Have seen it twice, will see it several more times before it goes to DVD, and of course I wil buy the DVD!
  51. DerekW.
    Nov 24, 2005
    I strongly believe that the critics that have been giving this film low scores just do not have the mental, or creative capacity to understand something as unique and revolutionary as RENT. The stroy and and the MUSIC take the audience member to another level of love and understanding - and if you are not ready to go on that journey you cannot blame the film, the writer, or the director, I strongly believe that the critics that have been giving this film low scores just do not have the mental, or creative capacity to understand something as unique and revolutionary as RENT. The stroy and and the MUSIC take the audience member to another level of love and understanding - and if you are not ready to go on that journey you cannot blame the film, the writer, or the director, for you being ignorant and too stubborn to open yourself to something new. Go see this film with an open mind and the story it tells with music will fill your heart and take you to another level of entertainment. Leaving you with a meesage of the current generation. Expand
  52. JuliaR.
    Nov 25, 2005
    i absolutely loved it. i have already seen it 4 times. It was evocative and daring and absolutely wonderful. it sent out such a good message!
  53. SusanS.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Actually, about a 7.8...it's what we all feared would happen when the man most known for directing Home Alone and the two bad Harry Potter movies got his hands on the musical that brought a younger, hipper crowd to the Broadway scene. However, even the king of schmaltz couldn't completely ruin Jonathon Larson's dynamic, edgy, witty, energetic retelling of La Boheme. He Actually, about a 7.8...it's what we all feared would happen when the man most known for directing Home Alone and the two bad Harry Potter movies got his hands on the musical that brought a younger, hipper crowd to the Broadway scene. However, even the king of schmaltz couldn't completely ruin Jonathon Larson's dynamic, edgy, witty, energetic retelling of La Boheme. He manages to take out just about everything that made the show appeal to the hipsters, but he manages to keep the message intact. I enjoyed the movie a lot, and really enjoyed seeing most of the original cast doing their thing, but I missed the dark humor and irony that drove the original conception. Columbus did what he does best, watering down profound concepts until even your grandparents won't be offended in addition to turning jokes and sass in melodrama, but the material is strong enough on it's own to hold up as a good watch. A really good watch at that, compared to what was coming out in the mainstream around it. For the pedestrian movie-goer, this movie might be both shocking and insightful--this is good, but Rent-heads might be slightly disappointed when the lines that they're singing in their heads have been replaced by odd-sounding spoken dialogue or empty music. But please, for the sake of Jonathon Larson's legacy and the outstanding performances by the original cast, go see it. Expand
  54. SethB.
    Nov 25, 2005
    As a musical onstage or otherwise, Rent is not that strong. Some songs feel forced such as the title song and others come off sounding like a high school production. There are good songs such as "I Should Tell You", "Will You Light My Candle" and my personal fav, "Take Me For What I Am". That being said, the real strength of this story (onstage or otherwise) is it's honesty, and As a musical onstage or otherwise, Rent is not that strong. Some songs feel forced such as the title song and others come off sounding like a high school production. There are good songs such as "I Should Tell You", "Will You Light My Candle" and my personal fav, "Take Me For What I Am". That being said, the real strength of this story (onstage or otherwise) is it's honesty, and emotion. In this it shines and works just fine. Some reveiwers have said this unrealistic. Those people obviously know nothing about the climate in NYC's East Village in the late 80's and early 90's. You can easily dismiss them as ignorant. Others have said this is not for kids. To a point I must agree, due to the realism I mentioned. Very young kids will probably not be suited to veiw this material, but I think older kids can handle it. If not this can be a spring board for discussion about sex, homosexuality, and life in general. Issues that they will most definitely have to deal with in this current world. All in all, an entertaining film. I loved it! Strong performances by Jesse L. Martin and Rosario Dawson. Expand
  55. JodiW.
    Nov 26, 2005
    I saw the play with the original cast. I have seen it on stage another 5 times since the original cast memebers left. It was mind blowing to see everyone back together and to remember what originally made this show so amazing. Bravo to all involved.
  56. ClaytonT.
    Nov 27, 2005
    The movie had its flaws true but the important thing is that it still transended that ever so important message of NO DAY BUT TODAY. I am a huge fan of the stage show and got everything i need to get out of the movie and the two new additions to the cast were superb. Rosario was amazing and joanne was way more pleasing than the original.
  57. PeterA.
    Nov 27, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie. It had flaws (what movie doesn't?)...but I think RENT suffers from essentially a bias people have against movie musicals. I really believe this (though I have no data to support this) that movie musicals have to be BETTER than the average movie for people to like it. In other words, people tend to be skeptical going in and the movie has to outperform I really enjoyed this movie. It had flaws (what movie doesn't?)...but I think RENT suffers from essentially a bias people have against movie musicals. I really believe this (though I have no data to support this) that movie musicals have to be BETTER than the average movie for people to like it. In other words, people tend to be skeptical going in and the movie has to outperform itself to be well-liked. I don't know if this has to do with the idea of people breaking out into song makes some go "aw, come on!" Any problems I had with the movie had to do with the source material, though I do think the script could have been a bit punchier--I mean, if you are going to add dialogue to a sung-through piece, it needs to be better than what we saw in the film. I suppose in the end, how you feel about RENT will color your opinion of this movie. My ex-bf hates RENT and big surprise, he hated the movie! Expand
  58. Kathy
    Nov 28, 2005
    A wonderful adaptation of an amazing musical!
  59. BrianC.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Having seen the stage musical a few times and listened to the soundtrack a few hundred times, my opinion of the movie will obviously be somewhat biased. So take this review with a grain of salt. The Good - great performances by the stage cast, who did a good job of translating their performances to film; the songs of course were terrific and all of the best songs were left mostly intact, Having seen the stage musical a few times and listened to the soundtrack a few hundred times, my opinion of the movie will obviously be somewhat biased. So take this review with a grain of salt. The Good - great performances by the stage cast, who did a good job of translating their performances to film; the songs of course were terrific and all of the best songs were left mostly intact, with some of the weaker songs left out; some interesting "movie-like" interpretations of the musical numbers (including an entirely new middle sequence that was almost entirely spoken) helped tell the story a little better than in the stage version; the Angel tribute scene was well done and appropriately emotional/powerful. The Bad - Rosario Dawson's performance was a bit uneven, good at times, awkward/lousy at others; liked the idea of some of the "flashback" sequences, but thought they were overly cheesy/obvious; although the anticlimatic ending was true to the stage version, I wished Columbus could've tweaked it a little to make it translate better on film; like Phantom of the Opera, I wished more liberties were taken with the original material to make it work better as a film. Overall, I had a great time, but it just made me nostalgic for the stage version. Expand
  60. MaryJ
    Nov 30, 2005
    I've never seen the stage musical, but LOVED this movie! I just loved the concept of taking the traditional musical format and adding a modern twist to it. The music was great - I bought the CD right after seeing the movie and it's been on constant rotation ever since! It's got your standard melodic anthems that stick to your head as well as some more experimental fare such I've never seen the stage musical, but LOVED this movie! I just loved the concept of taking the traditional musical format and adding a modern twist to it. The music was great - I bought the CD right after seeing the movie and it's been on constant rotation ever since! It's got your standard melodic anthems that stick to your head as well as some more experimental fare such as the Tango number and Maureen's protest performance piece. The performances were all great, yes even Rosario Dawson! I loved how the relationship between Tom and Angel was portrayed - it was definitely the emotional cornerstone of the movie for me. Were there flaws? Sure, it's Christopher Columbus afterall. He isn't exactly subtle, but I think like Phantom of the Opera, the original material is so good that the director would've had to really try to make it bad. In the end, it's how you connect with the characters and your taste in the music (and musicials) that will determine whether you will enjoy this movie. I for one loved it! Of course, I also love musicals in general, I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I love New York in all its flavors, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :) Expand
  61. rache
    Dec 1, 2005
    Rent was so amazing. I saw it opening night and I'm seeing it for the 3rd time this weekend! All the cast did a fabulous job potraying their character's soles. All though I did not see the Broadway Production, I've heard the movie was just as good or better. RENT is a heart warming movie that really shows the importance for living life to the fulliest, and the love friends Rent was so amazing. I saw it opening night and I'm seeing it for the 3rd time this weekend! All the cast did a fabulous job potraying their character's soles. All though I did not see the Broadway Production, I've heard the movie was just as good or better. RENT is a heart warming movie that really shows the importance for living life to the fulliest, and the love friends have for eachother. Idina Menzel my idol was amazing like usual, as well as the other cast memebers. I recommend this movie to anyone!! Collapse
  62. TiffanyD
    Dec 11, 2005
    Awesome movie. I loved all the songs and i have the soundtrack now. I saw it 3 times in theaters and now i am looking forward to seeing it as the actual play. Broadway would be the best. I fell in love with all of the characters, especially Angel. I highly recommend everyone going to see it.
  63. shainar.
    Dec 21, 2005
    Amazing, i couldn't stop thinking about the music, i went out and bought the CD and thats all i have been listening to, cant wait for the DVD to come out.
  64. SamP.
    Dec 2, 2005
    "You'll see boy".
  65. OscarM.
    Dec 2, 2005
  66. CraigV.
    Dec 29, 2005
    I first saw the play Rent on Broadway with much of the same cast as is in this movie version. On stage, I thought it was brilliant and wonderful. On screen, it just came to life so much more. I thought this was an amazing movie. Completely breathtaking! Rosario Dawson was an amazing addition to the cast. Her voice is beautiful and she played Mimi wonderfully. I definitely recommend this I first saw the play Rent on Broadway with much of the same cast as is in this movie version. On stage, I thought it was brilliant and wonderful. On screen, it just came to life so much more. I thought this was an amazing movie. Completely breathtaking! Rosario Dawson was an amazing addition to the cast. Her voice is beautiful and she played Mimi wonderfully. I definitely recommend this film and it's accompanying soundtrack. Expand
  67. Joe
    Dec 3, 2005
    I saw the stage show, and now the movie. One of the few stories on the mainstream media that doesn't turn real stories, with real people that really exist (despite what other reviewers may think) into Disneyeske over-sweetened bland goo. Some of us recognize settings and characters as real, for the times when we were flirting at the edges, during those years when rode fast, and we I saw the stage show, and now the movie. One of the few stories on the mainstream media that doesn't turn real stories, with real people that really exist (despite what other reviewers may think) into Disneyeske over-sweetened bland goo. Some of us recognize settings and characters as real, for the times when we were flirting at the edges, during those years when rode fast, and we were curious and more dumb, perhaps. I felt while seeing it a little as attending a mini-Woodstock. All that, despite their taking on a song in the middle of a sentence, which takes a little gettiing used to. Great acting and singing, although the directing could have been more creative. I think C.Columbus missed another opportunity. But, all in all, a great movie with a great story, which is very much worth seeing, in my opinion. Expand
  68. Mrs.Bloom
    Jan 22, 2006
    This movie is so incredibly AMAZING! Everything; the story, the characters, the actors, and especially the music, is incredible! All of the actors (most of whom are from the original Broadway cast) are amazing actors and singers, and all of their performances shine in the movie! But what's especially amazing is that Chris Columbus diected it! He did an unexpededly wonderful job This movie is so incredibly AMAZING! Everything; the story, the characters, the actors, and especially the music, is incredible! All of the actors (most of whom are from the original Broadway cast) are amazing actors and singers, and all of their performances shine in the movie! But what's especially amazing is that Chris Columbus diected it! He did an unexpededly wonderful job translating this hit Broadway musical to the big screen! RENT has seriously changed me (I'm hoping to see it on-stage soon), and it will seriously change you too. It's absolutely brilliant! Expand
  69. WinkondeJ.
    Aug 21, 2006
    Rent is the kind of film that comes around and changes lives. I thought it was wonderfully done. I have seen the musical on Broadway and all though some parts don't compare, it was still a great movie. If you didn't get anything out of Rent, you don't know what true beauty is.
  70. AmandaB.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I'm a huge fan of the musical "Rent" and have been for years so of course I had to see it as a film. I loved that they used several members of the original cast but was disappointed by the amount of changes that were made. I guess I should have been expecting that more.
  71. Ashleigh
    Nov 23, 2005
    It is an absolute gem!!!! I have been a fan of the stage show for 8 years, and the film stayed true to the vision. The only reason that I did not give it a 10 is that for people who are not familiar with the stage version, I think the story progression could be slightly fragmented. But anyone who goes into with an open mind will LOVE it!
    Nov 23, 2005
    If you have not seen the stage show, I feel that you can not truely encapsulate the entirety of the show. With that said, it is a damn good show other wise. I do not like that Chris felt the need to put a time stamp on the movie, especially since the music clearly makes a statement that it is in the mid-90s or even now (Alexi Darling refering to cell phones and email, Joanne making phone If you have not seen the stage show, I feel that you can not truely encapsulate the entirety of the show. With that said, it is a damn good show other wise. I do not like that Chris felt the need to put a time stamp on the movie, especially since the music clearly makes a statement that it is in the mid-90s or even now (Alexi Darling refering to cell phones and email, Joanne making phone calls on her cell etc...) I feel the movie missed Mark's purpose in the show, and his plight at being "the last one standing." The movie goes in depth in certain points while missing entire points completely. Rosario Dawson does a phenominal job as Mimi, and truely captures the essence of not only struggling with AIDS but with having a drug addiction as well. Her descent is portrayed very well, as is the rise and fall of her and Roger's relationship. Maureen and Joanne's relationship also goes much more in depth in the movie than in the show. As always Angel and Collin's relationship is a heart wrenching love story, and portrayed to perfection by Jesse and Wilson. Rent-heads that know and love the show will truely appreciate it and take it for what it is as well as find the meaning. Those who have not seen the live show may struggle with knowing what all the hype is about. They will not understand what they are missing. I will be going to go see it again, and again! Expand
  73. SteveK.
    Nov 24, 2005
    You will not like this movie if you do not like musicals. You must be able to accept the fact that ordinary-looking people will burst into song mid-sentence at any moment. If you cannot accept this, do NOT watch this movie, you will not enjoy it. If you are close-minded about homosexuality and cross-dressers, you will NOT enjoy this movie. If you are willing to see them as human and their You will not like this movie if you do not like musicals. You must be able to accept the fact that ordinary-looking people will burst into song mid-sentence at any moment. If you cannot accept this, do NOT watch this movie, you will not enjoy it. If you are close-minded about homosexuality and cross-dressers, you will NOT enjoy this movie. If you are willing to see them as human and their hurts and joys just as real as any one else's, then you just might see the magic that is Rent. It made such a splash in the mid-90s because seeing a portrayal of homosexual love, drug addiction, and HIV was so controversial and this musical was truly cutting edge. Some ten years later, it's not any more, and that actually makes Rent even more powerful, because the ideas are not novel and this movie is not about hype. (By the way, not all the characters are gay, in fact the lead male and females are not.) The portrayals of survival and love and life in the face of gritty reality, reality about diseases, reality about addictions, reality about MONEY and success, and idealistic people who try to survive in a capitalist, materialistic society that only cares about the bottom line are what this musical is really about. I'll be honest, I'm probably not the most comfortable person about homosexuality because of my religious convictions (I'm a pastor), but Rent is not about a homosexual agenda... it is about LIFE. Get over it people! Get over your taboos. Take it for what it is. Some of the critic's reviews I've read are close-minded, prejudiced, and sickening. If you allow yourself to truly take in Rent, you will find that it is probably one of the most genuinely affecting and real emotional journeys you will ever have in a movie theater. I was a big fan of the musical, and Chris Columbus has done a brilliant job in translating an all ready excellent musical into a competent, coherent, moving, and relevant film. GO WATCH IT. Expand
  74. MarybethC.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Considering other stage to screen production adaptations, rent was a major score!
  75. Erica
    Nov 25, 2005
    I thought that this movie was absolutely amazing. I love the way they did it. It was a lot like the play which made it even better to watch. And I love Angel!!! :-]
  76. BillyS.
    Nov 26, 2005
    As a movie fan who doesn't live in New York City, the only exposure to Broadway Musicals that I have is when they are finally made into a movie. So when I'm watching such a film, if somehow i can see and feel the magic as it must have been seen and felt sitting in a Broadway Theatre watching it live and in a majestic grandeur, well, then it's a great movie musical. "RENT" As a movie fan who doesn't live in New York City, the only exposure to Broadway Musicals that I have is when they are finally made into a movie. So when I'm watching such a film, if somehow i can see and feel the magic as it must have been seen and felt sitting in a Broadway Theatre watching it live and in a majestic grandeur, well, then it's a great movie musical. "RENT" may be a little dated and a little on the corny, sugar coated side, but hey, it's a musical not Arthur Miller and I for one, felt the magic! Long Live Musical Theatre even if I have to wait 10 years to see it on film. Expand

1. One of the best film musicals in years -- exuberant, sexy and life affirming in equal measure.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Director Chris Columbus has pasted the grungy "La Boheme" update onto film with slavish respect for the original material but a shortage of stylistic imagination and raw emotions.
    Instead of bringing a universal love story to the living present, the film traps it in a frozen past like a prehistoric bug in amber, as removed from moviegoers' experience as a dusty diorama at the American Museum of Natural History.