Miramax Films | Release Date: May 16, 2008
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 22 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Nesbitt10Jun 17, 2013
In "Reprise," the two protagonists are Phillip (Lie), and Erik (Klouman-Høiner), are best friends-young, brash, and struggling writers. Together, they deposit their freshly written manuscripts into a mailbox. Joachim Trier flicks throughIn "Reprise," the two protagonists are Phillip (Lie), and Erik (Klouman-Høiner), are best friends-young, brash, and struggling writers. Together, they deposit their freshly written manuscripts into a mailbox. Joachim Trier flicks through elaborate visions of 'what could be'- a vibrant introduction, a live-action scrapbook of future memories complete with wry voice-over. We're told that "cult status" beckons, because mainstream celebrity is for losers. Then reality sinks in and deals them both a blow: Erik's novel is rejected, while Phillip's is published to great acclaim only for a psychotic break to undo him at the height of his success.

Director Joachim Trier, who co-wrote the script with Eskil Vogt, plays with the audience by flipping backward and forward in time. As Phillip and Erik coddle their first manuscripts, Trier speeds forward in time to possible futures. The draw of this film isn't so much in watching them strive, but in glimpsing their daydreams of fame.

"Reprise" has a smart and knowing script, inviting the audience for reflection of their own. Joachim Trier neatly encapsulates that take-on-the-world optimism of unsullied youth. "Reprise" is many things at once: a window into mental illness, obsessive love, the uneasy transition from youth to adulthood, and finally the most intriguing aspect of the story line-fraternal competitiveness. The only real problem with the movie is it doesn't entirely establish a genuine, heartfelt interest in the characters for the audience. Both protagonists' grew up idolizing Norway's greatest living writer, who tells one of them his novel is good and shows promise. In the same sense, the movie itself is good and shows promise, but ultimately falls short of truly compelling. I am probably a bit too critical of this film only because I saw "Oslo, August 31st" (2011) first (a magnificent film), which is the follow up to "Reprise."
RitBJul 5, 2008
The NY Times movie critic said this movie is a "blast of unadulterated movie pleasure." Yeah right. That's not the movie I saw. This was dull, dull, dull.
TimH.Jun 26, 2008
This movie is anything but energetic. It's a total bore. The stupid flashbacks serve only to create confusion and the sense that there is something profound happening, when it's all just mush. There should be a law against This movie is anything but energetic. It's a total bore. The stupid flashbacks serve only to create confusion and the sense that there is something profound happening, when it's all just mush. There should be a law against movie's that don't grab the audience in the first 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of waiting for something interesting to happen, my pal and I gave up. How this silly movie got a 79 from the critics is a mystery. I guess it's just the slack that critics cut for foreign language movies that have a slightly Bergmanesque quality. Don't waste your time or money on this one. Expand
SandyS.May 31, 2008
I am over 65 years old. Perhaps that is why I found this movie so difficult to watch and to understand. It is hard to tell what is real and what is not , the editing jumps the scences abruptly.
AnonymousMay 28, 2008
This movie was very disappointing. The plot moves at an amazingly brisk pace. Unfortunately, that left little or no time for character development.
JohnC.May 25, 2008
Gave it a "1" only because I didn't walk out. Depressing and depressed. Pointless and self-indulgent. Shot in one color - depressed blue-gray. With white illegible subtitles - come on! Avoid this pretentious stinker.
MichaelMMay 23, 2008
At risk of sound insensitive: Roger Ebert needs to fade into the sunset already. He's giving horrifically-mediocre, happy-go-lucky movies 4 stars across the board lately, and then something wonderful like this comes along and he shits At risk of sound insensitive: Roger Ebert needs to fade into the sunset already. He's giving horrifically-mediocre, happy-go-lucky movies 4 stars across the board lately, and then something wonderful like this comes along and he shits on it because, essentially, it's too depressing for him in his current state-of-health. Roger Ebert has always been a master of reducing, of glossing-over. For some of the worst reviews ever, I suggest his takes on: Blue Velvet, Dead Man, and now, Reprise. Expand
WalkerP.May 18, 2008
This is the best film I've seen in ages. Moving and very funny. Great music as well!
[Anonymous]May 13, 2008
My 'find of the year' of 2007. While it does have some pretentious moments, it's one of the best films about friendship of the decade. In the style of Jules et Jim only... better. Go see, Winge is divine.