7.4

1. Feb 15, 2011
    Wow...I bought the movie for one dollar at the store, and it was a wasted dollar. My expectation was to see a movie that sucks, mainly because Christian Bale was starring. I was right. Every movie he is in sucks, and he is the main reason. Throw in a director, Werner Herzog, who I really believe either has a twisted mind, or is on drugs all the time, or both, and you get a film that isWow...I bought the movie for one dollar at the store, and it was a wasted dollar. My expectation was to see a movie that sucks, mainly because Christian Bale was starring. I was right. Every movie he is in sucks, and he is the main reason. Throw in a director, Werner Herzog, who I really believe either has a twisted mind, or is on drugs all the time, or both, and you get a film that is truly...weird. It is unreal. Bale is a POW, yet he acts like he thinks it is all one big joke. After being captured, he is dragged around the jungle by his captors, for what ? There is not one scene in the movie that is believable, starting from when his plane crashes, and he strangely comes flying onto the scene from...the side...completely unharmed, to pretty much all of the dialogue, which simply makes you cringe. Howdy ? My god, that must be the stupidest thing ever said in a movie.
    The biggest problem with this film is the complete lack of intensity. It is simply boring. The second biggest problem is that none of the characters are developed, they have no depth, and they act unreal.
    Conclusion: I am not sure where Werner Herzog gets the money to make films, he really is not a filmmaker, he has no feel for making movies, whatever he does just nauseates the audience. As with many so-called artists, people gravitate towards the weird side because they think it has significance, which it has not. Weird is just that, weird.
    And yes, Christian Bale should have never become an actor...he ruins each and every movie he is in. Almost like Ben Affleck, I don't know which one is worse.
  2. Dec 4, 2012
    The crash scene was the worst I have ever seen. The flight instruments show the plane rolling yet the plane is in a descent. The VFX very poor. The music terrible. The story is not new. The best part is the ending. If you want a good Vietnam film watch Platoon or The Deer Hunter.

1. The film, Rescue Dawn, is so good it makes you wish that Herzog had gone Hollywood earlier in his career. His pet theme is here: man tested against nature, his sanity more precarious than his body.
    There is honor, boldness, and grip in the new movie, but other directors can deliver those. Werner Herzog is the last great hallucinator in cinema, so why break the spell?
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    As taut and exciting as many edge-of-your-seat Hollywood escape movies.