7.7

1. Aug 20, 2010
    I'm a huge war film and documentary fan and a high school history teacher so I had high expectations about this film and was certainly not disappointed. This was clearly one of the most powerful war movies I've ever seen. I never got a sense that the soldiers or the filmmakers had a clear point of view about the war or their role but that, in and of itself, says much about the overall U.S./Afghanistan policy. I couldn't help but see frightening glimpses of Vietnam, Iraq, and Korea. History certainly repeats itself and we (the U.S.) seemingly never learn our lesson; however, this movie proves that sending young, innocent men into harm's way for cloudy objectives is too often the default and demented policy of a nation too quick with the trigger finger and an egomaniacal attitude. I highly recommend seeing this movie and I intend on showing it to my students when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2011
    Made up of intimate interviews and disturbing combat footage, the movie does what it sets out to do. It throws the grisly circumstances of war up on screen and lets us interpret them. And by not delving too far into these questions (and not taking any real stance), the filmmakers allow the material to reach a much wider audience than if they had (thus, it wonâ
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    This is a documentary which uninhibitedly depicts its young protagonists in literally every spectrum of their lives during their 15 month deployment in the Korengal valley Afghanistan. whether pro or anti war it is never the less a harrowing experience watching these young souls face such extreme circumstances so far from home.

1. A film that is beautiful, harrowing, heartbreaking -- and necessary.
    Restrepo is about soldiers, not politics. The question of whether U.S. troops belong there isn't posed. Their devotion to duty and each other is unquestioned.
  3. If you're looking for a political message, either for or against U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, this is not your movie. The directors were satisfied with telling us about a group of courageous, honorable young soldiers - a salute these men richly deserve.