Returner

7.3

1. ErikJ.
    Apr 3, 2004
    In many ways very similiar to the Matrix movie with the use of bullet time and martial arts. Question can be given to the time paradoxes though. If it would in fact be possible to go back in time to change an event that triggered the trip to begin with. Overall a very good film.
  2. DaveD.
    Mar 9, 2004
    This is exactly like watching someone play a live-action Final Fantasy game in movie format. The characters, the plot, the scenes, even the music match that Final Fantasy quality. This is not a full-plot, action-packed American movie. This movie is definitely for those who are already into the relevant culture.
  3. AndrewF.
    Apr 24, 2004
    The movie had great visual effects and i would seriously like to see the metacritic critics do something like this. theirs wouldn't come close. the acting was good and the plot was cool.
  4. SteveL.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Overall i found the movie to be great. I luv how the storyline proceeds, and the action in the movie. Who cares what these pathetic bias critics say...They compare with so much old movies probably because the old movies were the only successful ones they actually made(notice all critics are americans?). If the movie was really that bad why don't they compare movies in the recent time Overall i found the movie to be great. I luv how the storyline proceeds, and the action in the movie. Who cares what these pathetic bias critics say...They compare with so much old movies probably because the old movies were the only successful ones they actually made(notice all critics are americans?). If the movie was really that bad why don't they compare movies in the recent time period? why didn't they? because they couldn't find any other movies during the time better than this one. Funny thing is that the americans found only bias ppl to rate this movie...and look at it another point, critics give it a low score but 90% of the public thinks the movie is above 7 out of 10 and mostly in the 8-9 range...I'm tinking some ppl are being bribed here...lol peace out~ Expand
  5. GaborA.
    Sep 1, 2004
    Acting cant save a terrible movie for you when you're forced to read subtitles. This movie feels like a live action video game. Did i mention that thats not a good thing?
  6. NinjaMafia
    Nov 4, 2003
    I really shouldn't even write this review but, oh well. Returner is a modern day B-movie which makes me happy to no end. The story focuses on two people who are trying to stop an alien invasion from happening that, in the future, destroyed the human race. Takeshi Kaneshiro plays a pretty good action movie star. You got to love his watch that puts things in slow-motion (you really do, I really shouldn't even write this review but, oh well. Returner is a modern day B-movie which makes me happy to no end. The story focuses on two people who are trying to stop an alien invasion from happening that, in the future, destroyed the human race. Takeshi Kaneshiro plays a pretty good action movie star. You got to love his watch that puts things in slow-motion (you really do, I mean, thats the most original thing from a movie in years)Well, I'm going to cut this review short and that is a rare thing for me, but I'm tired as hell right now and I need som sleep. Just let me to you this howabout(if you don't move out of the doom house, it could spell your doom,sorry couldn't resist)if you love b-movies, you'll love returner. Expand
  7. Dr.Magnet
    Mar 18, 2004
    New York Post / Lou Lumenick: Soporific, shamelessly derivative and barely coherent... by American standards. So it deserves 25 ? Idiot...
  8. SteveC.
    Mar 29, 2004
    I though the movie was kind of hilarious to our modern day standards in film production. I mean, I understand that the Japanese aren't as advanced in human movie productions, so I gave them some credits for the actings of Takeshi Kaneshiro, Ann Suzuki, and that Kickass villian (forgot his name). I have to admit, that out of all the rip-offs that were in the movie (Time slowing watch I though the movie was kind of hilarious to our modern day standards in film production. I mean, I understand that the Japanese aren't as advanced in human movie productions, so I gave them some credits for the actings of Takeshi Kaneshiro, Ann Suzuki, and that Kickass villian (forgot his name). I have to admit, that out of all the rip-offs that were in the movie (Time slowing watch from "Clock Stoppers", superspeed from "Matrix" or "The One", alien that looks like E.T. , etc...) that best parts in the movie were the actual Japanese influenced parts from Animes (Transforming Jets, Asian Hair, and the Kickass Techno!). Who knows, maybe they'll realize that their movies actually have potential, if only they would stick to their own stuff. Expand
  9. BoB.
    Mar 4, 2004
    A whole lotta kickass that straddles that fun line between Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Independence Day, E.T., and The Matrix. If there is a movie that deserves kudos if only for its exceptional unoriginality it Returner. It succesfully mashes together its grab bag of elements into a fun, funny, and energetic cheese ball masterpiece. It's not high art. It's not even art. A whole lotta kickass that straddles that fun line between Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Independence Day, E.T., and The Matrix. If there is a movie that deserves kudos if only for its exceptional unoriginality it Returner. It succesfully mashes together its grab bag of elements into a fun, funny, and energetic cheese ball masterpiece. It's not high art. It's not even art. It's just a movie meant to kill brain cells with and go "ooooh... shiny...." every so often. Unlike the movies it steals from it doesn't try to hide its flaws with pretentious crap, and instead sends it to you straight. So, if you want the matrix wihtout the philosophy, Independence Day without the schmaltzy patriotism, E.T. without the obnoxious children, or a Robert Rodriguez film that actually lives up to its a trailer, then check out Returner, this one's a keeper! (borrowed that last line!) Expand
  10. JonathanH.
    Apr 19, 2004
    This movie isn't worth anyone's time and money, stay clear.
  11. AngelA.
    May 10, 2004
    I absolutely adored this film, I think the heart of the film is not in the actual plot but in the relationship between Anne's and Takeshi's characters. And also noticed that it did seem to be ripp off by alot of films, but it doesn't matter, I think they made it work anyway. Loved it, it was definitely worth seeing!
  12. PeterK.
    Oct 28, 2004
    O.K., so this film wasn't so origonal. So what? How much origonality do you find in typical Hollywood films these days? The special effects were incredible, the action scenes were spectacular, and the cast gave a great preformance all around; particularly the two protagonists, Millie and Myamoto, and the villain, Mizoguchi. The last scene in the film didn't make much sense, but O.K., so this film wasn't so origonal. So what? How much origonality do you find in typical Hollywood films these days? The special effects were incredible, the action scenes were spectacular, and the cast gave a great preformance all around; particularly the two protagonists, Millie and Myamoto, and the villain, Mizoguchi. The last scene in the film didn't make much sense, but that hardly bothered me. Check this out if you're not a stuffy critical type and you don't mind alot of harmless fun. Expand
  13. DuckW.
    Feb 24, 2004
    Damn good B-Movie ... odd holes in storyline, and overall presentation; better editing could have been done ... If you like imagination and action then this is a recommended watch ...
  14. JTS.
    Apr 17, 2004
    I thought it was a lot of fun. the action was pretty good. the story was pretty good. i didn't see any problems with the effects. i enjoyed it quite a bit and plan to add it to my movie collection at some point. and i am an American.. Ann Suzuki was adorable, yet tough. and Takeshi was a believable hero.
  15. ShawnA.
    Apr 19, 2004
    The best B-movies are movies where the makers were actually trying to entertain and not really wanting to make pathetic films, like Ed Wood for a obvious example. I think these film makers new from the beginning that they had crap with this one, it's too bad because the acting ain't half bad.
  16. Jan 3, 2015
    I love this movie. It is fun, clever, visually perfect. And Takeshi Kaneshiro is wonderful in his role. After all those American-hero movies, this is refreshening!

1. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Kaneshiro is all long flowing locks and smoldering disdain, the visual F/X are only so-so, and pacing is almost brisk enough to hide the plot holes.
    Yamazaki is clearly a science-fiction fan himself, and in Returner, he shows some worthwhile style, if only by stealing the biggest and best possible elements for his serviceably entertaining genre mashup.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    A shamelessly recycled vision of decrepit high tech.