4.5

1. Jul 19, 2013
    RED and Flightplan director Robert Schwentke's paranormal action flick R.I.P.D. is based on a comic book of the same name by Peter M. Lenkov. For everyone else involved, it's a Men in Black sequel that swaps ghosts in for aliens. That's OK the MIB franchise rests on chemistry and that's what makes R.I.P.D. halfway tolerable. Ryan Reynolds, the perfect leading man who can't catch a break in Hollywood, stars as Nick, a Boston cop trying to carve out a life with his French lovely, Julia (Stephanie Szostak). Nick has made on major mistake in that genial plan: At his most recent drug bust, he helped his parter Hayes (Kevin Bacon) steal some ancient gold he thinks can be pawned for serious dollars. Why was there ancient gold stashed away in the crates that carried illegal drugs into Boston? This is one of the many blanks R.I.P.D. asks you to fill in. "You have seen enough movies, it should be easy," the script silently says to us as it speeds along to make its 90-minute runtime. When Nick decides he's out of the corrupt gold smuggling plot, Hayes shoots him in the face. That would be the end of most Boston cops, but it turns out
    the Massachusetts city is one of the most haunted places in America, and requires the policing of a Heavenly force known as R.I.P.D.. Nick is recruited to the afterlife squad, paired up with Roy (Jeff Bridges), a rootin' tootin' riff on True Grit's Rooster Cogburn. After 15 minutes of deciphering Bridges' mush-mouthed, cowboy drawl, R.I.P.D. kicks into high gear and delivers genuine laughs. Why Reynolds, the fastest wit in the West, was sentenced to playing the straight man, we may never know. But he still meshes with the kook antics of Roy, who drives his big yellow car like he's kicked back in a rocking chair and spools out ghastly death sentences like their parking tickets. Nick learning the ropes of Dead-O wrangling is half the movie, as the nonsensical logic of the world is explained in a series of ghost-busting sequences. As our brains attempt to figure out geography and slip into the groove of an action sequence, Schwentke uses special effects to lunge forward, never finding a frame or reasoning for doing so. It's burst of unmotivated energy and it only serves to jostle our cortexes. Do not see this movie in 3D, a last-minute addition that mauls the decent character work between Reynold and Bridges to death. R.I.P.D. is one of the few movies that could use a bit more breathing room in its runtime to flesh out the dynamic and gradually tell a story, versus the tactic it takes. Halfway through the movie, a mission pops up through a magical exposition tube that gives purposes to everything we have been watching and carries (limps?) R.I.P.D. across the finish line. You don't know Men in Black is a skillfully crafted action comedy until you have seen R.I.P.D. and that might be the best reason to see it. Despite Schwentke's complete inability to work around lower production value why can District 9 look so good and R.I.P.D. look so awful? Reynolds and Bridges deserve around of applause. They bring soul to a lifeless blockbuster corpse.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    Worst film of the year. I honestly hope that I can forget that Jeff Bridges was ever in this movie. The first thing that I noticed was wrong with this movie was the editing. I'm going to try and not insult this movie dishonestly, so here is an honest insult. The stunts in this movie looks like it was edited by a high-school student getting started in AV class. The CGI was overused, this movie disgraces CGI. I'm so glad it was short, it left me wanting to get the hell out of there. I got 0 laugh(s) out of this film.

Terrible concept, terrible execution. Oh, and it reminded me of Scooby-Doo 2. Yeah. Terrible editing, terrible screenplay obviously. Acting from Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds was good. But there's nothing they can do to make the roles they fill entertaining. It's not really their fault though. I got 0 laugh(s) out of this film. Actually I lied, I laughed once. Also the music manages to not be good at all.
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film right here was the breaking point for me, thank you RIPD and thank you Hollywood for getting me off my ass to voice my insignificant opinion to the world by signing up and contributing points to this abomination of a film. I went into this movie like I have went into every other film this summer, low expectations and hopefully opening night so I could have crowd reactions to give me something to laugh at, but this film managed to near put me to sleep!
    It was like the movie had both the choices to be an Action and a Comedy but failed to deliver enough on both ends! It was either you are laughing at the bits of Old Chinese man in weird spots holding a banana and Hot White supermodel who gets hit on, or you are watching gunfights which character plot-armor is soo thick that not a single wound is received. I think the only saving grace the movie had for it (at least in my opinion) was Jeff Bridges whose portrayal of a 1800's Western Lawman in modern Society, which managed to keep my focus on the screen and away from the Sour Patch Kids.

RIPD
    RIP
  4. Jul 19, 2013
    It fell flat. Bridges character had potential but most of his laugh lines just petered out. I saw it with a couple teenage girls who thought it was "fun" however, I was a little uncomfortable with the pervasive foul language. I can't recommend it.
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    The summer movie season isn't exactly one of the better ones, with "The Lone Ranger" falling flat and no real dramatic gem. "Wolverine" is out next week and may be the hit Hollywood is hoping for next to the wonderful "Despicable Me 2". Despite its promos, "RIPD" doesn't live up to the preview's promise.
    I was suspicious when I didn't find any review in the paper, usually a
    warning sign. However, I wanted to give it a shot because the premise was a good idea.
    Too bad the execution wasn't. Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds star as the team of dead cops assigned to protect living people from dead people out to wreak havoc. The film doesn't say whether the cops are in a soul limbo, or if being "erased" will send them fully into the next world or kill their souls completely.
    What works in this movie is the premise, and scenes where innocent people see Reynolds and Bridges as an old Oriental man and a vivacious blonde. That portion could have been expanded upon and helped to alleviate comparisons to the "Men In Black" series, but it wasn't, and we're stuck with basically a MIB knockoff. Reynolds does okay, and Kevin Bacon plays a good bad guy, but unfortunately Jeff Bridges overacts and his old cowboy spew grows old pretty quick.
    I was disappointed in "RIPD", but I don't consider it the total bomb many who've seen it do. There are some funny lines and situations, but the movie overall suffers from borrowing too heavily from "MIB" and a lackluster dialogue. Decent for a pleasant matinee perhaps, but little else.
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    This film doesn't make any sense at all.
    Also, this film also doesn't logical either.
    Jeff Bridge can't save the film.
    This film is the and that's the fact.
  7. Jul 24, 2013
    After he dies in the line of duty, Ryan Reynolds comes back as a member of the Rest In Peace Department. He's partnered with a Wild West lawman (Jeff Bridges) and they set about killing bizarro creatures who haunt the earth. Think of a mashup between "Ghostbusters" and "Men in Black" without any of the inventiveness, comedy or coolness. There's a frantic pace, but nothing entertaining to fill it. Reynolds plays it serious, while Bridges chews the scenery (and some chaw that often makes his mush mouth indiscernible). The efx aren't bad, but the whole thing is simply DOA. Expand
  8. Oct 15, 2013
    For the supposed worst film of the year, It honestly wasn't that bad. I thought Bridges and Reynolds worked well together and as always Bacon makes for a good villain. Bits of comedy through out that were enjoyable. Yes it is sort of like Men In Black but it's far more action packed although not as well done. The biggest disappointment, for me, would be the special effects. For a film that has a 130 million dollar budget, I expected far better visuals, and the visuals in this film were rather disappointing, unconvincing, and poorly done.

Overall, R.I.P.D. certainly had it's weak spots but as a whole, The action and comedy certainly helped made it watch-able. Certainly worth renting in my opinion.
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    After seeing all the success Jeff Bridges has had after all these years, I wish he would get better roles to star in and stop playing in stupid movies such as this. Now, Ryan Reynolds? Hardly a good actor, why do we care? Anyway, the whole time I was watching this movie, I kept thinking one thing: Men In Black. Honestly, aside from the slightly different story, this movie is like Men In Black. Good CGI, but just a horrible movie all around. Its movies like this that make me mad because this is a recycled idea and a horrible one, at that, but the fact Universal Pictures would green light this over, say an original idea from an up-and-coming screenwriter, is quite frankly embarrassing. But then again, Universal is hot off the heels from all that money Fast & Furious 6 just made them. They can afford to create and release a horrible movie. Expand
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was originally posted on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas

A couple days ago I watched “The Wolverine” and to me, it was boring. The week before I watched “The Conjuring” and while I felt the directing was great, on the whole, the movie reeked of a “been there done that” sort of feel. Today I made a deal with a friend of mine. In exchange for him accompanying me to the
    local movie theater for a viewing of “R.I.P.D.,” I would watch “Paranormal Activity 4” with him, a movie from a series I loathe with a passion. I bring this up because sadly, “R.I.P.D.” seems to be a combination of both “The Wolverine” and “The Conjuring” because despite some good directing during the action sequences, it was still a boring and much like the characters in the film, lifeless flick.

The story is as basic as it goes. If you’ve seen “Men in Black,” “Ghostbusters,” hell even if you’ve seen “Jonah Hex” (if you haven’t then don’t) you’ll know this film inside and out. Secret agency that protects the world behind the scenes? Check. Two cops that are completely different in both appearance and attitude that must save the world? Check. “R.I.P.D.” seems to be hell-bent on going for every single cliché action movie characteristic. I honestly can’t think of a single thing about the script that was good.

I hate when I see good actors stuck in mediocre movies. As such, you can probably imagine how frustrating it is to see two actors I love cast in a bad movie. Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds try. They really do. You can see it in their eyes. They’re desperately trying to save the movie but their lines are so bad that no amount of good acting can save it. It’s like a Shakespearean tragedy just without the good writing…which sadly means Shakespeare has nothing to do with it. And then, there’s Kevin Bacon. I’m not going to pretend like I’m a fan of his acting because I’m not, and this movie certainly doesn’t redeem him in my eyes.

So the dialogue and writing are horrible and the acting can’t save it, but here’s the thing, the directing was actually good during the action scenes. The actual action itself wasn’t super stimulating but the cinematography was actually good. You could follow the actual action unlike most horrible modern action movies where the directors are hopped up on crack or something so the camera goes all over. The first fight scene was pretty mediocre, second was good enough and the third and final action scene was actually good.

Like most action adventure movies, there’s usually an element of comedy in it. Somehow, “R.I.P.D.’s” humor ranges from confusing and disturbing, to eight year old humor. What’s worse is the best comedic idea they have is squandered. If you’ve seen the trailers, you know that since the two protagonists are dead, in the real world they don’t look like themselves. Bridges looks like a smoking hot blonde while Reynolds looks like an old Asian man. This sounds great but they don’t utilize it nearly as much as they should.

Let’s talk about the Deado’s, the undead creatures that Reynolds and Bridges fight in the movie, they look stupid. Saying their designs are unoriginal is an understatement. The only things that differentiate them from normal people are extra limbs, distorted bodies and their greater sizes. There’s one in particular that looks like basically any obscenely obese person in the world just with a “ginger Elvis look” as the characters call it. It’s shame these designs just come across as lazy because any movie involving undead creatures should do the part and make them look interesting. Even in most zombie movies the zombies look good in the sense that the makeup artists and special effects artists took the time to make each zombie look different from the next but in “R.I.P.D” the only differences are that certain ones have more mouths or hands or other body parts than the next. Even Kevin Bacon’s character seems to be just him with a little crack in his head.

No matter how you look at it, “R.I.P.D.” fails on multiple levels. Like “The Conjuring,” it is proof that good directing is not enough to save a movie that has this many cumbersome flaws. I now completely understand why it has received all the negative reviews it has. I know I preemptively said I would enjoy this movie more than “The Conjuring” in my review of “The Conjuring,” but I have to say that was an accidental preemptive lie…if that’s even a thing. If you have money to burn, then set those dollar bills on fire. Because watching your money turn to ash is far more entertaining than watching “R.I.P.D.”

“R.I.P.D.” gets a 2/10
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    Only saw this because it was free (I work at a theater) so that should should tell you something right there. This isn't worth any of your cash, probably not your time either. I wasted my time for 2 reasons, it was free as i previously stated and because of Jeff Bridges who happens to be the only reason I gave this movie a 3. R.I.P.D. was too corny for my taste and this is coming from someone who enjoys sci-fi channel original movies. Stay away from this one, wait for Redbox, it's worth a dollar rental but nothing more. 3/10 Expand
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    After last years Men in Black 3 I got a taste for the early days of Sci-Fi buddy pics, the original MIB and the breezy thrills of two guys throwing caution to the wind to protect the people of the world, RIPD is that film and as it turns out I wasn't missing much at all. When NIck (Ryan Reynolds) is murdered hi is enlisted by the RIPD, the Rest In Peace Department, a group of undead officers including Nick's new partner Roy (Jeff Bridges) that hunt deados, undead that refuse to just die and cling to life until Roy and Nick and the rest of the RIPD can bring them in or destroy them. Everything about RIPD is reused and fashioned out of spare parts other movies didn't want. It's a poor man's Men in Black as it follows the same formula (two partners, one old, one young, one recently recruited, the other a seasoned pro who still has things to learn.) It's vapid film making that only really stands out thanks to its comic book action sequences and stellar CGI action that MIB didn't have back when the originals came out. Everything else is unfortunate mimicry that is just plain painful to watch. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    The movie has, like, two or three scenes where you find yourself chuckling, but as a whole, it fails to entertain. The film is just so silly that it becomes pretty dull in many places.
  14. Nov 26, 2013
    I did go into this hoping it would be better than all the negativity I had previously heard. But sadly, this movie lives up to its reputation. There is almost nothing about this movie that I liked:

1) Aside from Bacon, none of the other actors seem to be having any fun.
    2) Bridges' character is just too over the top. Frankly I was expecting a him to be walking around with a KFC bucket.

3) Reynolds is just, pointless. He's a top actor yet his character has no personality or depth for him to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if in every scene he was reading his lines from cue cards.
    4) Animation and effects were really sloppy. 15 years ago they would have been good, but not with today's technology. There are some Youtube videos that look more convincing.
    5) The script is utter garbage. It's one cliche after another. There seems to be no natural flow or progression of the narrative.

However, I will admit that I did like the humor of the movie, and that is the only reason I give this a 3. Also I did like the idea behind it. I'm sure that when they were pitching this movie, it must have sounded fantastic.But the humor and good premise are nowhere near enough to save this train-wreck.

Overall:
    Clearly this is either a copy or a tribute to Men In Black that has been given to novice director and an almost lobotomized writing team. A real shame as you can see the idea behind it had some potential.

Side Note:
    Under no circumstances do I ever want to see a R.I.P.D.2
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    R.I.P.D had a budget of 130 million dollars, if this is true why is the CGI so incredibly bad? I really don't know what to say. This review is not going to be very long because I haven't got a lot to say. The acting is terrible, yes even Kevin Bacon. The plot is impossible to understand, not that it made much of a difference, and (quite obviously) stolen from Men In Black. The CGI reminds me of a 1980's Doctor Who episode. The action is straightforward, without brains and easily forgettable. The ending is such an anti climax that it brings the movie down by a whole point. The only aspect of R.I.P.D which is done well, is the mildly entertaining humor which made me laugh a few times. Simple sentences used to simply describe a dumb and simple Men In Black rip off which was made solely to entertain under 18's. And it doesn't even do that! Expand
  16. Apr 14, 2014
    It can be entertaining at times. And the visual effects are better than expected. That said, the only really good thing about it is that you get to see Ryan Reynolds hot body for an entire movie. He is so fine.
  17. Aug 24, 2013
    There are several problems here terrible CGI, awful chemistry, and a forgettable story. Overall I know they were trying to capitalize on MIB's success, but just like MIB 3 this film is just not that fun. Plus what was with that terrible accent by Jeff Bridges? D
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    Surprisingly, this movie entertained me. I am not saying it isn't a terrible movie because it is terrible but there are much worse ones out there. It is very much a ripoff of MiB and was a lot of wasted potential. Unfortunately, I was actually entertained and almost teared up once or twice. Just expect nothing out of it and you might be mildly entertained or watch it drunk.
  19. Aug 10, 2013
    My God was this movie a mess! It's a visually dull and stupid Men in Black Rip-off. Truly one of the worst movies of the year, and this is coming from the guy that made "Red". I just don't understand. Overall, it's a complete waste of summer potential. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" and let me know what you think.
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    I have turned off the film after 10 minutes. Why you ask?
    He is simply abysmal. This is probably because the does not work, the mix of comedy, action and drama. None of the three genres convinced the film.
    I give the actors not to blame for the fiasco but the more the script writers and the director.
    The worst film of the year so far.
  21. Aug 15, 2013
    Down in the dumps when it comes to comedy, "R.I.P.D" isn't the worst thing out there, but definitely is far down the road in the several of mediocre films this summer. The premise is average, the character development is barely there, leaving only comedy in the dust. I quite liked the jokes at times, especially Jeff Bridge's performance, and will most likely leave audiences laughing at some times. Though the film isn't the worst, its a far cry from anything due to its ultimately dim-witted and formulaic story. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2013
    Bridges' wannabe cowboy shtick is getting old. Boring, unfunny, hard to watch and a waste of money. Can't wait to see yet another tough old guy Bridges cowboy impersonation.
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    When I say that I was pleasantly surprised by R.I.P.D what I really mean is a terrible movie was just bad. The performances were completely lacking emotionally, but the comedy played well in some areas. Every other aspect was just ho-hum, nothing fantastic, but also nothing noticeably horrid. If it made more sense logically, looked better, and was given some time and care this could have been an O.K. film. Unfortunately, it did not get any of those aspects. I was surprised because it looked terrible in previews, and it was, but not to the level I expected. Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    Funny bits in between a vast ocean of boredom. Nothing new cliched up the portal to heaven. Like riding in wagon with hemorrhoids. It was fun and a good couple of chuckles but never again shall a watch this
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    This movie may be good for a 12-year-old who reads comics, but I thought it was just plain silly. There were holes in the plot, and it reminded me of a cross between a hugely distorted version of Ghost, and Ghost Busters. Not recommended for adults unless they have had a lot to drink.
  26. Aug 29, 2013
    The only thing memorable about this film was Jeff Bridges' hilarious performance as old man Roy. This movie reminded me of Ghostbusters or MIB, but a lot dumber. You cannot star Kevin Bacon in any movie and expect us to be surprised that he is the bad guy.
  27. Sep 7, 2013
    R.I.P.D. Ridiculous. Idiots. Producing. Dreadful. Films. I went into R.I.P.D. (Rest in Peace Department) expecting to truly enjoy the movie being a teen and all. I figured that the adults “over thought” and “misunderstood” Robert Schwentke’s “true meaning” for the film. Being the director of the original Red, he couldn’t mess it up right? Wrong. R.I.P.D. features Ryan Reynolds as Nick Walker, A cop killed by his own partner Hayes (Kevin Bacon) who he worked with for five years. After time being stopped and his body rising into the office of Proctor (Mary-Louise Parker) Nick is offered the choice of a job at R.I.P.D. or to face judgment. He quickly takes the job to reconvene with his wife and go back to earth until he meets his new partner Roy Pulsipher (Jeff Bridges).

On earth, people see Nick as an old Chinese man (James Hong), and Roy, a young lady (Marisa Miller). Nick and Roy are issued to catch monsters who have managed to reappear on earth. Their job is to send them back to the R.I.P.D. prison, where they will stay for the rest of their lives. As Hayes has a plan to bring all the deceased back to earth, it becomes Nick and Roy's job to stop it and save earth. The movie really never made it clear whether it was attempting to be a comedy, action movie, or something completely different.

Barely reaching 90 minutes, R.I.P.D. is quickly earning itself “Worst Movie of 2013” which I completely agree with. Jeff Bridges is receiving publicity for all the wrong reasons. Ryan Reynolds did not deliver and his acting was not very good…at all. His role could have been played by anyone from Josh Peck to Liam Hemsworth. The idea was not original either. We have already seen the same concept and character layout in Men in Black (who actually did it right). The film had the tired older man with the Texas accent, and his younger partner. I was quite surprised that the audience seemed to actually enjoy this movie! From the cheesy humor, to the unrealistic fight scenes, they were both laughing, and clapping during this film.

The term “A 96 minute episode of Scooby Doo” has also been thrown around about this film. Mr. Bridges had much more potential and I feel the script was written sloppily and quick. It seems Universal Pictures took the lazy way out on this one and I think it really showed in both the films performance in the box office (36 Million), and on the screen.

I think Reynolds should stick to the voice of Turbo racking in 70 mil instead of these low ball summer disasters. If you still want to see R.I.P.D. after reading this review, I think it is smart to borrow it from a friend who made the mistake of buying it on DVD. I will definitely be recommending this movie to someone I don’t like, but no one I actually care about.
  28. Sep 20, 2013
    The idea of R.I.P.D. maybe is good, but sounds like the son of Men in Black movies and The Ghostbusters movies, and the result is completely different than the movies of the two franchises. Terrible movie, no more.
  29. Oct 27, 2013
    After watching the whole film, it seems that the story is too much fake. yes, its a fantasy movie but too much fantasy makes this movie too much dull. the transformation wasn't so good.... not so realistic.....
  30. Dec 9, 2013
    Some parts where bearable. It should be called RIP OFF. I didn't realize heaven was full of so many weirdoes and subspecies as I always believed heaven was strictly a concept created by humans so naturally I expected humans in the afterlife. .silly me. Stupid movie

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Sep 16, 2013
    Confusing and uninspired rather than completely inept, it’s still likely to be swiftly struck from the résumés of all involved.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Jul 24, 2013
    R.I.P.D. never creates a believable universe, interesting action sequences, or dynamic characters. It’s a paint-by-numbers approach in which the film’s comedy and drama both fall flat.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Boone
    Jul 21, 2013
    Mostly loud and graceless, despite some arresting hyperbolic visuals that deserve an action film of actual soul and purpose. It's simply too generic at heart to justify director Schwentke's delirious, sidewinding, arcing, snap-zooming and whip-panning anti-gravity camerawork.