6.3

1. Feb 12, 2014
    This film is really good. My expectations were low but I think Padilha did an excellent job on inserting some "soul" in the film, that is not just action. The characters are very well chosen, the action scenes (not many action scenes as I was expecting) were good scripted and the lack of stupid jokes we have seen constantly in the films nowadays is an excellent addition.
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    Let,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than inLet,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than in the originals, because I remember when i was a kid I always ask myself; why don't he just go see his god d*** family to told them he is still ''alive'' and i was pretty happy that they add this side of his life once he turn a robot..It just make more sense to me.Action side it is full of it, he can finally run/jump, which I find more appealing/appropriate for an advanced rebot like this.The Only down side of this movie is that it's really too short, if they had a bigger budget they could have easily elaborated the story. BUT, since i fugure it's only the first one of a new departure in Robocop movies, I just hope people won't listen to most of the bad ''official reviews'' out there, because they were obviously expecting a remake instead of a ''fresh new start'' for this franchise.I would rate it 8 out of 10 but i put a 10 just to balance the bad reviews out there,that I think they are totally unfair.Great movie, really entertaining, already waiting for the sequel. Expand
  3. Feb 12, 2014
    The original "Robocop" has been an instant classic and a favorite to almost all people. in reference to the remake, it is pretty decent and worth a watch; it is a refreshing look at one of the best, not disappointing but in fact more than pleasing with a surprisingly a strong re-watchable value to it.
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    Not sure whether it's because I am a science worker or that I praise human life and family values pretty much this movie was a huge positive to me. It dealt with many particular issues in a very direct manner. It seems to be a harbinger of something bigger not only in the cinematography.
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    Loved the movie. Great actors. a Fresh new storyline which in my opinion was really needed. Just enough action scenes and very emotional at the same time.
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    The new Robocop is placed in a real world. The corruption of the government and police makes a perfect background for this new and outstanding vision of Robocop.
  7. Feb 15, 2014
    A very good action movie with a decent amount of commentary and discussion about the state of the world… I would give a solid 8 to 9 this movie, but I'll give a 10 just to counter-balance the jerks who gave it zero for absolute no reason. Let the original RoboCop stay where it belongs, as an eighties classic and give a chance to this one!
  8. Feb 16, 2014
    Thought it was a very well made remake, adding it's own take to the story and becoming quite a charming movie on its own. Making nods to the original perfectly. There were many parallels towards the original, and showing you new and horrible views on what it really would be like to put someone in a suit like that. Literally stripping him of his humanity at some points. Great stuff. Go inThought it was a very well made remake, adding it's own take to the story and becoming quite a charming movie on its own. Making nods to the original perfectly. There were many parallels towards the original, and showing you new and horrible views on what it really would be like to put someone in a suit like that. Literally stripping him of his humanity at some points. Great stuff. Go in with a positive mind and partially wipe yourself of the older movies. Take your own ride along with the movie. Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    Went to go see this movie last night, and all I have to say is wow. Great remake of the original Robocop 1987. I'm a long time fan of the first two films back in the day and I wasn't sure if this would live up to the original, but it did and even made a name for its self. It had everything from action, very fast paced and alot of emotion and a very well placed cast. I give it a 10/10 Must See!
  10. Feb 18, 2014
    Simply amazing¡¡ the story is a little bit different from the original one but the idea was good in every single aspect , i give it a 10 because it deserved it and i was a waiting for a really good remake of this movie I've always been a huge fan since i was a little kid, there definitely has to be a precuel.
  11. Mar 5, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching Robocop. It was an awesome amazing action packed movie. I really enjoyed Abbie Cornish's portrayal of Clara Murphy. It was a great movie.
  12. Mar 25, 2014
    Robocop was directed by a Brazilian company that makes a good action movie with good story, script more or less, and special effect but not excellent've seen better'll hit more with the idea that it passes.
  13. May 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Defiantly an underrated movie! I gave this movie a ten to help balance out all the overly negative reviews influenced by fanboyism of the original. I think this movie deserves a solid 8. It has it's pros and cons like any other movie. I'll start with the bad first.

One thing many others noticed about this movie is the lack of a clear villain. The inside job arc with Anton the weapons dealer starts OK with the build up but ends pretty weak, with him being unceremoniously killed off in a gunfight. I did like how it lead to uncovering corruption in the police force, but overall it wasn't built up too well. Then it changed gears and painted the CEO of Omnicorp as a bad guy. It was clear he was a scumbag from the start, however his ultimate fate sends mixed messages. It appears as if Robocop has killed him in the end, but was his rampage really justified? I believe it would have been better if they either made him more of a villain instead of a petty **** or dealt with his attempted murder differently. The in between treatment just doesn't work. He's not evil enough to warrent death, but enough of an **** that viewers feel something must be done. It leads the ultimate ending unsatisfying. The actions scenes did shake a bit too much.

Despite the above flaws, Robocop is still a very entertaining watch. It does more right than wrong. First I really enjoyed seeing the robotic side of Robocop. They attempted to add a bit of "hard sci-fi" to Robocop instead of just making him run on mysterious magic technology. The way they "fed" him and choose which "parts to keep" made a twisted kind of sense. All the simulations and HUD data was also very entertaining to see. It gave Robocop a very robotic feel haha. Also the CGI actions scenes were fun to watch. This Robocop is a lot more fluid then his original. Although there is a complaint I have to make. Since they went the "hard sci-fi" route with Robocop, they should have went all the way. There were some scenes where he magically overcomes his programing and no explanation whatsoever is given. The characters themselves litterally had no idea! That's a huge cop out considering how much detail they went into about his creation and programing. It would be a lot more satisfying if they gave a token scientific explanation and tied in with Robocop's human side overcoming his machine side. It would also give the movie a clearer message.

Overall this was a pretty good movie. It works as a modern film remake of an original. It isn't going to be a classic, but it does stand pretty well on it's own despite what angry fans of the original tell you.
  14. Feb 13, 2014
    Pretty darn good. Exceeded expectations and never got the feel they were just pandering to the audience. Definitely worth a theater view; you'll be entertained!
  15. Feb 17, 2014
    I found this to be a bold new reimagining that made references to the original but was not bound by it. It had great performances all around and it was a fun ride that left me wanting a sequel. I liked Kinneman in the lead role and The suits and effects worked well.

My only gripe would be that there was no central villain that carried the plot. ED 209 is more of a side-note than an actual dangerous adversary. The gun runner that tried to kill Murphy had no real development, and Keaton's character should have be demonized more. That was one of the great things that the original did so well... Bottiker tossing Bobby at the cop car in '84 for example has more villainous development in less than a minute than this film had in 2 hours. I do like how the both the original and this film both offer views of how corporations are thought of in their respective time periods.

It does not matter that this film received the PG-13 rating vs R. Sure they could have splashed more needless gore and violence in there to Verehoven-ize it, but would that have given it any more heart? As an origin piece I found that it worked extremely well, but I hope that Robo has a more cohesive hero story and adversary should a sequel come to light.
  16. Feb 12, 2014
    Very good movie! Great special effects and good play actors. Oldman is very good actor. Much better than I expected. I can't help but feel that some of the less than positive reviews are because of unfavourable comparisons with the original which is unfair because in many ways this is a better movie than the original.
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    A much needed reboot of the Robocop franchise! The original Robocop is a classic, yet this remake/reboot stands on it's own. Great plot, great acting, plenty of action. It's good that the campy crap from part 2 and 3 was thrown out in exchange for a deep, rich screenplay.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    I think this movie is being very much underrated. While it's true the original Robocop is a better film overall, this new version is definitely worth seeing. It's a beautifully shot, well acted bit of thought provoking Sci-fi.

Just wish that had but a little more dark humor into it.
  19. Aug 16, 2014
    A great remake of a classic movie, that many of us grew up with. Robocop stays true to it's predecessors while still making the movie it's own.

It includes a interesting and in-depth explication of Murphy's back story, while adding an interesting twist to the entire cooperation, it's intent and inner workings. Once and awhile the movie is a little slow, but never enough to make you

Once and awhile the movie is a little slow, but never enough to make you want to shut the movie off.
  20. X0R
    Feb 16, 2014
    Many reviews so far have trashed the new Robocop remake, I had low expectations going in. This version though is so much better than the dated 1987 cheesy original version, better actors, story is greatly improved and has a realistic believability that Hollywood skips on movies that are targeted at the 15-25 year old age group. Comparing the original versus this remake isn't reallyMany reviews so far have trashed the new Robocop remake, I had low expectations going in. This version though is so much better than the dated 1987 cheesy original version, better actors, story is greatly improved and has a realistic believability that Hollywood skips on movies that are targeted at the 15-25 year old age group. Comparing the original versus this remake isn't really apples-to-apples, the remake has a consistent storyline focus, great acting -- and thankfully, doesn't rely on cliches in the dialogue/script. I understand why people still like the original, but 75% of remakes nowadays are complete junk, this one is actually a gem.

So I can see that if you're a consumer that doesn't have an open mind to a film that has had quality control and careful thought put into it, you'll be insulted by this new version - and if that's the case, you've got more problems than just being disgruntled that you weren't spoon fed the same velveeta cheesedik entertainment that Hollywood generally wants you to consume.
  21. Feb 23, 2014
    The movie was awesome. It's very different from the original and so good in it's own way that compare it to the original makes no sense. Great cast, it has a focus on the story, drama and science fiction. Action scenes are great too, with CGI only on the robots, it's not like the actions scenes of Iron Man. The movie is different and have no gore, but it has a lot of impactating scenesThe movie was awesome. It's very different from the original and so good in it's own way that compare it to the original makes no sense. Great cast, it has a focus on the story, drama and science fiction. Action scenes are great too, with CGI only on the robots, it's not like the actions scenes of Iron Man. The movie is different and have no gore, but it has a lot of impactating scenes even with no gore, and this is even better. All the suits are great, even the black suit, and Robocop is kick-ass in the police department! Expand
  22. Feb 12, 2014
    Saw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting downSaw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting down movies. Whatever the case the story, casting (especially Samsual L jackson) and action was great. Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2014
    Robocop is a remake of Paul Verhoeven's 1987 classic robocop.The story once again focuses on Alex Murphy ,an honest cop and loving husband,as he is critically injured in the line of duty,the milion dollar company omnicorp,sees the opportunity to revive Alex Murphy ,and put him in a robotic suit,enabeling him to bring justice to the city more swiftly and accurately.

Honestly when i saw

Honestly when i saw the trailers,i actually had high hopes for it,after all DREDD 3D ,proved that remakes can be better than the originals.Robocop is directed by Jose Padilha,who directed 2 briliant elite squad movies,which i love,and after watching them the second time my expectations rose even higher,and i am glad to say that the movie lived up to them.

The story this time had a lot more political edge to them showing viewers,the advanteges and disadvanteges of drone use in war-torn countries ,but also in native countries.Joel kinnaman plays Alex Murphy really well,he is no Peter Weller,though for a movie that's as different as this one it makes sense ,the story itself is both notebly simmilar ,but different enough to have something of it's own ,for example in the original movie after Alex gets revived as robocop he doesnt remember anything here he does,where as in the first he was trying to find out what it was like to be human ,here Alex Murphy finds out what its like to be a robot ,how to deal with the suit ,the family ,people around you and trying to find the place in the world.Although without any spoilers ,something happens towards the very end that brings it back to the original ,where Alex looses his humanity once again,which feels like you walked around a big circle and came to the same place.

As far as the action and throwbacks go ,there is plenty here. From tazer gun emerging robocop's leg,to the use of that classic revamped theme that gave me goosebumps in the beggining and brought and immediate smile to my face,Jose Padilha even cared as much as to make ED-209s say :YOU NOW HAVE 5 SECONDS TO COMPLY;or Alex Murphy say :THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.all those effective nods make you feel like they actually gave a **** about the original.

And at last the action,now the original robocop was known for hardcore rated-R action,that blew my mind as a kid,this one is PG-13,my god ,i don't give a **** because it's still FREAKING AWESOME,seriously why complain about gore and violence ,when you have a badass robocop kicking 3 ED-209s ass ,at the same time or neutralizing 54 robotic drones,in a field test,while being backed up by the kick-ass soundtrack from focus-hocus pocus,which was a badass scene itself,the only action scene i didn't like was the dark room section where he puts on thermal optics to kill human targets,anyone who has seen the movie nows what i am talking about.

As it stands robocop,is a different kind of animal from the original it provides a deep human story,like the original,respects it in some ways,shows satisfying action and ultimately shows that its not neccessary for a remake to be totally like the original for it to be good.

p.s that black suit is pretty cool too.
  24. Feb 23, 2014
    Great movie! Another way to see a killer machine like Robocop. I loves to see Alex without armor, clearing showing the psicological stress of him, and also helping the build of the person/Robot that is Robocop. Not only a machine without feeling blowing heads everywhere.
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    Loved this movie. Pays homage to the original without copying too much and follows an original storyline which I liked a lot. Great action/SFX and acting. Only docked one point cos it takes a while to get to get going. Highly recommended.
  26. Jun 21, 2015
    This movie didn't disappoint, just because the killings aren't brutal compared with the first two movies means that this movie sucks. It actually gave us a better view and pace of the movie. The director carefully tried to let the 80's kids where dying to see - what remains of Alex under the armor, tweaking Alex's brain that had overall impact on the main protagonist's family and his dutyThis movie didn't disappoint, just because the killings aren't brutal compared with the first two movies means that this movie sucks. It actually gave us a better view and pace of the movie. The director carefully tried to let the 80's kids where dying to see - what remains of Alex under the armor, tweaking Alex's brain that had overall impact on the main protagonist's family and his duty as a cop. One thing I didn't like is how easily the character of Anton died. Hoping for a sequel. Expand
  27. Mar 1, 2014
    I'm old enough to have seen the original Robocop in the 1980s, I liked the original and I have to say this was done very well. It is not a sequel, it is in fact a pure re-make that is fairly true to the original screenplay. I hadn't seen this actor before but he played the role of tough cop with a good heart very well. Ironically, the only character that seemed to space out a bit in someI'm old enough to have seen the original Robocop in the 1980s, I liked the original and I have to say this was done very well. It is not a sequel, it is in fact a pure re-make that is fairly true to the original screenplay. I hadn't seen this actor before but he played the role of tough cop with a good heart very well. Ironically, the only character that seemed to space out a bit in some of the scenes was the well known actor Michael Keaton. I'm a fan of Keaton but I'm not sure he was a good choice as the evil CEO-type. But overall the movie has great action and quite entertaining. Expand
  28. Feb 13, 2014
    First things first: the original movie was a masterpiece and I love it for how cheesy, how gorey and how fun it was to watch, and NOTHING will touch it.

With that said, the remake of robocop was surprisingly very good...and actually more deep than the original, with a lot of development on the story and less on action. Infact, I really loved the many characters and how they didn't just disappear (heck, Murphy's wife is not only present in this version, but she's an active character and an actual anchor for Murphy. That's one big thing to add!), whereas in the original I just remembered the policewoman friend of Murphy Anne Lewis and I can't recall many others at all (at least, until the sequels). A lot of the movie is about story development and about a lot of controversies about robots taking over the security (a lot reminiscent of the movie I,Robot in a way), and that was something that lacked a lot in the original: proper backstory and motivations. I honestly went in the theatre ready to be disappointed but, surprisingly, I enjoyed it a lot and I was also asking myself questions about the scenery and the characters (AKA: I hope there's a sequel!)

What really fails in the movie is probably the fact that this is definitely more action oriented than the original (actually, the actions scenes are few and nothing special...but better than in the original) and...well robocop's new form is pretty bland and just not special: the original Robocop was very clunky and not agile at all and that was the charm, while in here he's able to be extremely agile and even has a bike to go through the city just like Batman does...yeah in a way he's more like a superhero here, which is not completely a fail. I just felt the new Robocop armor is just bland.

Also the story is a bit of a mess at the end but I won't spoil it: let's just say I was trying to understand what happened at the end and that's that.

In short, it's a worthy remake, but it's NEVER going to reach the quality of the original, which I liked as a kid but LOVED as an adult the more I grew up. But like I said the remake is a worthy one, because it develops on part that the original didn't bother to develop.

I think it's decent: you'll either like it it, or won't bother with it.
  29. Feb 15, 2014
    Great cast and great story, can't wait for the sequel. I'll admit that this isn't the original but no remake can ever be. The original robocop is cheesy and looks as dated as a film can but doesn't mean I don't love it. The new movie works on so many levels and the cast is fantastic. This isn't like the constant reboots of other films, it has some heart unlike Robo. Go see it, you'll beGreat cast and great story, can't wait for the sequel. I'll admit that this isn't the original but no remake can ever be. The original robocop is cheesy and looks as dated as a film can but doesn't mean I don't love it. The new movie works on so many levels and the cast is fantastic. This isn't like the constant reboots of other films, it has some heart unlike Robo. Go see it, you'll be entertained. Expand
  30. May 8, 2014
    While it may not have a lot of action, The plot is actually pretty good and it's very well acted with a highly experienced cast. It's definitely worth watching and I'd highly recommend it. It's one of few remakes that actually lives up to the hype.
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    UNDERRATED. This movie has great acting, cast, and direction by José Padilha. It gives a middle finger to the American way of life SECURITY/FREEDOM. Don't let fanboys and comparison fool you. It's rare to see an action, teen appealing movie with this strong message.
  32. Mar 8, 2014
    Great Reboot, sadly, this reboot doesn't have enough blood, violence and profanity to make it a cinema classic, however the movie does do great job at re connecting you with Robcop and reminds you of why you love the franchise, ya know **** this 3 is a peace of **** Its all about the Guns, Robots and JUSTICE:

Robocop (2014): 8/10
  33. Feb 23, 2014
    The Brazilian director José Padilha has overcome is making a totally different remake of the original but preserving the roots of such a tone of political satire (especially trainers and handlers of public opinion U.S. programs and commercial way Americans treat the public safety and dehumanization of an individual for the sake of the profits of an executive director) and brings the actionThe Brazilian director José Padilha has overcome is making a totally different remake of the original but preserving the roots of such a tone of political satire (especially trainers and handlers of public opinion U.S. programs and commercial way Americans treat the public safety and dehumanization of an individual for the sake of the profits of an executive director) and brings the action scenes mixing stages of a shooter game with a halftone action eighties, definitely a triumph of the Brazilian film director and that proved to make an American action movie American but better than the other type of Americans, it is no wonder that the movie was not very successful in the U.S., her tone critical explains everything. Expand
  34. May 11, 2014
    As far as remakes go this I consider a success. Great movie, the plot is good, it has action, drama and everything needed not to make you fall a sleep. I found Novak pretty annoying and wanted to punch him in the face hahahahaha.
  35. Mar 7, 2014
    A review about the media Manipulation, the form how the government controls our lives with the premise of security, criticism about the wars in the middle east.
    Excellent film
  36. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First thing, I am not a Robocop fans, though I like action movies and I prefer lots of quick action than drame movies and thriller movies.

As in all action or superhero movies, the plot is mostly known, that somehow the good will triumph over the bad. Only a few movies could change that, and certainly not movies that feature famous superheroes like Thor, Ironman, Robocop, or Batman. Sure, some of the heroes allies may be killed off, but the hero itself will not die. We may reduce all superhero movie score because of this factor alone. And not only superhero, the "regular joe heroes" will most of the time triumph, but do have a bigger chance to be killed than the superheroes.

On with the movies.
    The beginnings are great, though nothing is extraordinary, all is expected. The great scenes are when Murphy starts kissing with his wife, until Murphy sees what he had become. The moment is great because I can relate to Murphy's feeling that he couldn't possible to enjoy bodily delights again, and how much he had lose. The character who play his wife is also beautiful and plays great.

Then the movie become bland and more expected.
    The hero starts up good. The action while Robocop is beating the robots is not great.
    The action when Robocop beating his killer are bad. The thugs are foolish enough to fight in darkness. Yes, they have NV googles, but Robocop's own vision has infrared. I guess this is fought in the dark to keep the movie PG-13.
    The heroes become villain for a while, then the heroes snaps back because of his family.
    Right after the hero snaps back, the hero hunts the big goon by himself.

The problem is that :
    - The action, through many, is lame, most of the actions are robot vs robot while I want see Robocop killing humans.
    - The final action and fight are boring, and Robocop directly takes off to kill the big goons, so boring.

But the overall movie is pretty much enjoyable.
  37. Feb 21, 2014
    Cara o diretor escolheu um filme CULT para fazer refilmagem, ele ficou louco !!! Mas mesmo assim ficou uma obra única ! Confesso que fiquei chateado com algumas senas que parecia que o RoboCop fosse mais violento mas a produtora queria faixa etária baixa ele não pode colocar essa cenas. Gostei quando ele viu oque sobrou do corpo real e pediu a morte melhor cena. Não superou ,mas nãoCara o diretor escolheu um filme CULT para fazer refilmagem, ele ficou louco !!! Mas mesmo assim ficou uma obra única ! Confesso que fiquei chateado com algumas senas que parecia que o RoboCop fosse mais violento mas a produtora queria faixa etária baixa ele não pode colocar essa cenas. Gostei quando ele viu oque sobrou do corpo real e pediu a morte melhor cena. Não superou ,mas não desapontou em quase nada. Valeu Pelo diretor Brasileiro José Padilha !!!!!! Expand
  38. Mar 3, 2014
    I didn't watch the original RoboCop, but I really like this movie the actors made an amazing job, the casting is very impressive..., there is good action scenes and special effects are awesome, there is some problem with the cams and the people who watched the first movie says that the original is better, but this movie is amazing too, José Padilha made a great job.
  39. Feb 21, 2015
    A great reimagining of the original classic. There are a few head-scratching departures from the original (particularly Murphy's "death" scene and the decision to go for PG-13 rather than R) and far too little screen-time for Murphy's partner played by Michael "Omar" Williams, but this is a great action flick in the vein of Dredd and The Raid. RoboCop is fast-paced without feeling rushed,A great reimagining of the original classic. There are a few head-scratching departures from the original (particularly Murphy's "death" scene and the decision to go for PG-13 rather than R) and far too little screen-time for Murphy's partner played by Michael "Omar" Williams, but this is a great action flick in the vein of Dredd and The Raid. RoboCop is fast-paced without feeling rushed, and the cast is fantastic, especially Jackie Haley, Michael Keaton, and Gary Oldman. RoboCop himself isn't stellar but he gets the job done. Overall I was totally misled by the critics and blogosphere who tried to cast this as an empty action romp. RoboCop has as much brains and heart as any other action movie in the past few years. Expand
  40. Feb 14, 2014
    Better than the 2nd and 3rd movie of Robocop Franchise. The Special effects are very well. The action is satisfactory. The actors accomplished his rolls. The only bad thing is may be some plot hole. But this is really a good movie. I am waiting for a second one.
  41. Feb 15, 2014
    I'm not going to judge it based on the original like most people have
    Pros:
    -Great Acting
    -the Pacing is Excellent
    -Feels just like the original (Almost)
    -Same Premise as the original (kinda)
    -The Dialogue is Good
    Cons:
    -There's some shaky cams here and there
    -There are some Green Screen fails here and there as well
    Recommendation: Everyone BUT the fans of the original
  42. Feb 12, 2014
    RoboCop (2014) is so much better than you're expecting that, for most of the 103 minute running time, you completely forget you bought those $16 Imax tickets just out of curiosity to see how bad of a train wreck this film was guaranteed to be. Instead, you'll find yourself surprised at how well it turned out and wishing it was all just a little better. Instead of the crime against humanityRoboCop (2014) is so much better than you're expecting that, for most of the 103 minute running time, you completely forget you bought those $16 Imax tickets just out of curiosity to see how bad of a train wreck this film was guaranteed to be. Instead, you'll find yourself surprised at how well it turned out and wishing it was all just a little better. Instead of the crime against humanity we were all fearing, Robocop is a decidedly well crafted film that can't achieve greatness.

Smart, expertly acted (had I known earlier that Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton signed on, I would have had higher expectations), and politically poignant, RoboCop is a remake far better than it has any right to be. It's frustrating to watch such a worthy movie fall all over itself in its earnest attempt to convey a plotline similar to that of the 1987 original. The cerebral bits of the film, of which there are many, prove to be captivating and compelling as the audience is forced to bear the emotional burden of watching Alex Murphy come to terms with being a quadruple amputee.

Then there's the action. Or, rather, near total lack of it. In an ironic twist of fate, the PG13 rated RoboCop didn't turn out to be the watered down, plot-less, ham handed G.I Joe of an action movie so many had feared. It's not much of an action movie at all. The few sequences of robot-kicking-ass-with-style are generic at best and borderline laughable at worst. Unfortunately, there's just not much combat or octane in this film, and mercifully there aren't more scenes that try for it.

RoboCop is a surprising success, either because expectations were so abysmally low or it's actually a good flick. This viewer thinks it's a bit of both, but the former doesn't infringe on the later.

Score: 7.5 (rounded up to 8)

-imafallguy
  43. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, not bad. I expected much much worst (like Total Recall). Good concept on the re-imagining of the story, upgraded tech is well done and world is fairly credible.

Story itself has a few holes, biggest one is what's with the right hand??? I get the head, brain, spinal cord, some organs and a life support system, but a right hand not attached to anything? Not credible. It doesn't even serve any purpose in the movie, unless it was a deleted scene. Physiologically speaking, a detached hand connected to a cybernetic forearm would just be a lump unless a very complex attachment for tendons, life support, ... was in said forearm. Which I didn't see.

Anyway, overall good, not great.
  44. Feb 26, 2014
    It is a fun movie and unlike most remakes was as good or better than the original. The acting was very good in that they don't look like they are acting. Abbie Cornish is way hot. She is going to be someone. I thought that the two best actors were Jackie Haley and John Paul Ruttan. I went early show and only paid $5. I got more than my money's worth. They left it open to a sequel and IIt is a fun movie and unlike most remakes was as good or better than the original. The acting was very good in that they don't look like they are acting. Abbie Cornish is way hot. She is going to be someone. I thought that the two best actors were Jackie Haley and John Paul Ruttan. I went early show and only paid $5. I got more than my money's worth. They left it open to a sequel and I guess the box office take will be the judge. There was a couple of very good action scenes and one biological scene that I closed my eyes for. I liked it. Expand
  45. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is obvious that this Robocop is not a remake and therefore I do not see the point of negatively assessing this movie basing it on how it does not have what the original has. It is not funny, it is not vulgar, it is not witty and it is not violent as the original movie that is true but the new Robocop achieves what the it goes for - it certainly elaborates on some dilemmas, it has a certain emotional depth to it and it has just the right amount of action. As a stand alone movie, it is a great one. It is not a step forward in the movie history but it certainly is if not the best, one of the best remakes I have ever seen. I did not like two things and they are related to the action scenes. Some action scenes seemed clouded because of the shaky cam and I think Robocop was too overpowered for its opponents so action scenes seemed like a hunting scene most of the time. Basically there was not a built up tension during action scenes. "Overriding the computer system" was also overused. On top of my head for example at the end he is able to shoot the guy but if he was able to use something else to neutralize or kill the bad guy instead of shooting him directly that would be better. Anything else would have worked out better - is it too much to ask for a smarter ending when the plot of the movie is too obvious from the beginning? You can point out the villains during the first scenes that they appear. Expand
  46. Mar 7, 2014
    Nice reboot for the Robocop franchise. Special effects and story line are in high quality and create the possibilities of a sequel. I expect more from the depth of protagonist's actual feeling and the story of his family.
  47. Nov 23, 2014
    Robocop ofrece una historia interesante al público, que al principio mis expectativas eran un poco bajas (tampoco tanto) pero después de ver el film resulto ser algo mejor.
  48. Mar 23, 2014
    I was hoping this reboot would avoid the over the top grotesque that was prominent in the original. For the most part I was pleased. I liked that in this version Murphy was presented more as a human being with something to lose.
  49. Nov 13, 2014
    "Robocop" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

"Robocop" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: Way WAY better than I expected. A great mix of sci-fi and action that more than holds up against the original. While Kinnaman was a little too stiff early on, he gets much better as the film progresses. Heavyweights Micheal Keaton, Gary Oldman, and Samuel L. Jackson turn in great performances as the cast did a good job all around. A very pleasant surprise early in 2014.

The Bad: A little overly cynical at times. I was fine with it being dark, but sometimes it was a little much. Eventually, Robocop overcomes his programming with no explanation. They hint that it might be his "human soul" at work, but that just seemed a little too convenient and silly.
  50. Jan 2, 2015
    این فیلم بسیار فیلم زیبا و سرگرم کننده ایه و کار خودشو به بهترین شکل انجام میده،هین فیلم تکشن زیبایی دارد ولی فیلمنامه فیلم مشکلات جزیی دارد مثلا وقتی بدنشو به اون روبات چسبوندن فیلم خیلی کم و ناچیز به سمت این میرود که چرا این اتفاق افتاده و داستان را ناقص میکند.درکل فیلم فیلم بسیار قوی و خوبی است که گرچه به پای نسخه اول خود نمیرسد ولی در کل فیلم قوی استاین فیلم بسیار فیلم زیبا و سرگرم کننده ایه و کار خودشو به بهترین شکل انجام میده،هین فیلم تکشن زیبایی دارد ولی فیلمنامه فیلم مشکلات جزیی دارد مثلا وقتی بدنشو به اون روبات چسبوندن فیلم خیلی کم و ناچیز به سمت این میرود که چرا این اتفاق افتاده و داستان را ناقص میکند.درکل فیلم فیلم بسیار قوی و خوبی است که گرچه به پای نسخه اول خود نمیرسد ولی در کل فیلم قوی است
  51. Feb 16, 2014
    Not as good as the original, as most aren't, but enough changes to keep one entertained. More than an action film. Especially liked the subtle nods to the original as well as Keaton's Batman.
  52. Aug 4, 2014
    This rebooted Robocop is actually a lot better than I thought it would be. I imagined a Transformer-like CGI driven mess but, thankfully, I was off the mark on that one. Robocop was in fact a thoughtful, interesting re-imagining with some nice things done with the titular hero's family life. Is it as good as the original? Not a chance, but it was still pretty good.
  53. Jun 3, 2014
    It's hard to top the original Robocop, and I didn't expect this movie to do so. I think it certainly falls flat in certain areas. It does, however, in my opinion, deserve the RoboCop title and is a worthy remake in it's own right. Is it better than the original? No. Is it a movie worthy to watch? I would think so.

The movie is good to look at; the concept of having a man in a

The movie is good to look at; the concept of having a man in a machine is always intriguing; Robocop's new look is fairly decent; and overall the movie is packed with enough action to keep you entertained.

What the movie seriously lacks, however, is coherent storytelling. It's really hard to anchor down an antagonist, and at times, it's hard to have much affinity for Robocop because most of the characters drawn out in this movie are two dimensional. It's hard to find motive from the bad guys, it's hard to find reason behind the actions of several key players in the movie. There were very few moments where I felt like Robocop was challenged. Many of the major plot points seem forced. The inevitable victory of Robocop over the "bad guys" seems stale. This movie had so much potential, if only it were written a little more coherently.

With all that is said though, this new Robocop is a fun movie to watch. Like Pacific Rim, it doesn't really need to make too much sense--it only needs badass robots, cool graphics, and battles everywhere.
  54. Feb 12, 2014
    Definitely not a re-hash of the old Robocop story. Good action flick, but in no way a classic. Action was good, acting was ok, had a good time watching it but nothing really sticks with you.
  55. Mar 29, 2014
    Surprising decent remake that could have been a disaster.

Pros: Great action, great acting from Jackson, Oldman and Keaton. Went a different route than the original which is nice. Actual had a good story going on Cons: Serviceable performance at best from Kinnamen as Robocop. Other than Keaton villains were not good. Felt fairly brief and rushed at some points. Overall I enjoyed
    Surprising decent remake that could have been a disaster.

Overall I enjoyed Robocop and I would suggest that if you're interested to check it out at some point.
  56. Feb 15, 2014
    I was very sceptical about this movie at first. I also rewatched the old trilogy before going to the theater but after i watched the remake i must say its pretty solid movie. It's okay robocop movie it doesnt have that old Robocop vibe as before but its a good action movie that worth watching. Old batman and Oldman play their roles very well (to be fair i was expecting to see old robocopI was very sceptical about this movie at first. I also rewatched the old trilogy before going to the theater but after i watched the remake i must say its pretty solid movie. It's okay robocop movie it doesnt have that old Robocop vibe as before but its a good action movie that worth watching. Old batman and Oldman play their roles very well (to be fair i was expecting to see old robocop actor as OCP CEO). Robocop actor itself is a pretty okay guy. I doesn't even regret about having Battlefield 4 black guy instead of hist teammate Luis. The armor design is pretty modern(there is a gag about old robocop armor in the movie) and that crappy black suit is not robocops final design. It defenetly worth watching even if you're an old robocop fan. Movie has its problems but overall its solid. Not an instant classic but still solid. Expand
  57. May 30, 2014
    Not equal to the original, but surprisingly, one of the better adaptation of 80's classic we've seen so far. The secret..it stays true to the spirit of the original while adding new things of its own. Some great supporting casts from Keaton and the ever reliable Samuel Jackson helps.
  58. Jun 24, 2014
    This movie reminds me a lot of Terminator: Salvation. While they are both good movies, it feels like the people making them thought that they were better than they actually were. What I mean by this is that the whole "what makes us human?" plot is WAY too heavy handed and while I appreciate what they were going for, I don't watch a movie called Robocop to think about huge moral dilemmasThis movie reminds me a lot of Terminator: Salvation. While they are both good movies, it feels like the people making them thought that they were better than they actually were. What I mean by this is that the whole "what makes us human?" plot is WAY too heavy handed and while I appreciate what they were going for, I don't watch a movie called Robocop to think about huge moral dilemmas when I walk out. Still, I was able to look past that and find a very enjoyable, though somewhat sloppily paced, action movie. Expand
  59. Feb 23, 2014
    At first I must say that the movie turned out rather different than I expected. I thought it would be a straightforward action movie with a lot of gunfinghts and explosions, but this time the remake focused on some other things, it was more about the the ethic problems of man/machine beings and people's attitude to them. Also the movie is more story-based than action/visual-effects-based,At first I must say that the movie turned out rather different than I expected. I thought it would be a straightforward action movie with a lot of gunfinghts and explosions, but this time the remake focused on some other things, it was more about the the ethic problems of man/machine beings and people's attitude to them. Also the movie is more story-based than action/visual-effects-based, and the story is somehow twisted, so I could say that the story is decent. The major advantage of the movie is outstanding performance by great actors, I must mention Michael Keaton, Jackie Earle Haley, Samuel L. Jackson and of course Gary Oldman, they all made a great job and created convincing characters. Joel Kinnaman as Robocop was actually okay, though I'd wait for someone more famous for this role (just considering the other actors). I liked the movie, but it was not what I expected, so my score is not that high, BUT I can advise to watch this movie to everyone, because it's decent. Expand
  60. Feb 12, 2014
  61. Dec 6, 2014
    This kept my interest allot more than I expected it to. I didn`t like the style of Robocop from the commercials, so I went into this with low expectations. Turns out the movie was pretty entertaining. I just hated the ending. I won`t say what happens, but it just leaves you thinking there should be more.It was pretty much like OOOOOOOOOOOOOK? It`s over? If the ending was even close to EpicThis kept my interest allot more than I expected it to. I didn`t like the style of Robocop from the commercials, so I went into this with low expectations. Turns out the movie was pretty entertaining. I just hated the ending. I won`t say what happens, but it just leaves you thinking there should be more.It was pretty much like OOOOOOOOOOOOOK? It`s over? If the ending was even close to Epic I would give it a higher rating. Instead the ending was so dull, and that is not a good thing, since it`s the last thing you remember. Expand
  62. Mar 15, 2014
    Solid performances and action highlight this clunky, yet effective reboot from Jose Padilha. "Robocop" is an exciting and fresh look at a long-dead franchise.
  63. Feb 16, 2014
    Ok so ill keep this quick a simple. Its good but not as good as the original. Its not as bloody (there is hardly any blood but there is some just not buckets). The story i feel is told better however because they really drive home the effect his transfomation has on his family which is a nice touch seeing as how we got to see i the original how it effect him but not so much his family. ButOk so ill keep this quick a simple. Its good but not as good as the original. Its not as bloody (there is hardly any blood but there is some just not buckets). The story i feel is told better however because they really drive home the effect his transfomation has on his family which is a nice touch seeing as how we got to see i the original how it effect him but not so much his family. But also there in lies the problem we get lots of " He's Human He's a Machine " and not enough him being a badass. All in all though its good and i recommend seeing it. Expand
  64. Feb 23, 2014
    I enjoyed this film, but I did not see the original version. I thought Joel Kinnaman and Gary Oldman gave very interesting performances, and I liked Michael Keaton a lot too. Although the theme is interesting and what happens to the hero pretty weird, the believability of Kinnaman, Oldman, and Keaton were what made the film work for me.
  65. Feb 14, 2014
    As my first official 2014 film watched (man January sucks), RoboCop is a really solid effort. The best part of this film is its supporting cast with Keaton, Oldman, and Jackson giving this film its core. B
  66. Apr 24, 2014
    Surprisingly found this a cool movie and fun time at the cinema. A much need reboot, though it doesn't add too the original too much, it dwells deeper into the concept and emotional affect of what it means to put a man inside a machine. Great action and pacing!
  67. Feb 12, 2014
    While the remake does step away from majority of the action from the original movie, it builds a better sense on how integrating man with machine could come about and what might be the implementations of that. Reflecting on real world political debates on drones, and the ethnics behind machines. This film is a must watch.
  68. Feb 16, 2014
    This Robocop reboot was well done, not without flaws though! Plot is good (with one exception), casting worked really fine. The weakest point is the main villain! Overall it's an ok sci fi movie, not as good as original
  69. Mar 30, 2014
    Put the original classic out of your mind and just watch this reboot for what it is and you might see all the good qualities it has. It brings fresh new angles to the story and a different understanding of the main character Murphy/robocop. Action and effects were solid as well. If I had one thing to pick that they could have done different it would have been to make villain a littlePut the original classic out of your mind and just watch this reboot for what it is and you might see all the good qualities it has. It brings fresh new angles to the story and a different understanding of the main character Murphy/robocop. Action and effects were solid as well. If I had one thing to pick that they could have done different it would have been to make villain a little more ruthless and sinister. Expand
  70. Feb 16, 2014
    I was quite pleasantly surprised! I expected it to be crap, especially judging from the movie trailers.

While not brilliant, Robocop Delivers! Well worth the watch! A ton better than a LOT of other recent movies.
  71. Jun 12, 2015
    Solo veo dos problemas, primero que su nivel de violencia es menor a la original, y segundo, que es un remake. Fuera de eso se me hace un digno policía futurista de vanguardia.
  72. Mar 1, 2014
    Surprisingly decent movie even for the ones who would be rather negatively biased. Great actors and great scenes attached, yet without a decent closure to it.
  73. Feb 19, 2014
    Well, once again the critics are bashing a perfectly entertaining and fun movie just because they thought it didn't live up to the original. Who cares! This is still a very fun movie to watch and the action is entertaining from start to finish! I've never heard of Joel Kinnaman, but I thought he did rather well as the titular hero. However, he's almost upstaged by the supporting cast thatWell, once again the critics are bashing a perfectly entertaining and fun movie just because they thought it didn't live up to the original. Who cares! This is still a very fun movie to watch and the action is entertaining from start to finish! I've never heard of Joel Kinnaman, but I thought he did rather well as the titular hero. However, he's almost upstaged by the supporting cast that full of much bigger names, such as Gary Goldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Jackie Earl Haley, and even Jay Baruchel! Fortunately, everyone manages to work well together onscreen. To put it simply, the action and visuals are pretty darn cool. The movie never felt like it was dragging and kept me entertained from start to finish. And yeah, just like every great action movie out there, there are some cheesy moments. So obviously, the critics are gonna whine about it as usual. But don't listen to them. This is just a fun popcorn action flick and you'll likely enjoy it just as long as you don't go in expecting more! Expand
  74. PHJ
    Feb 25, 2014
    Quircky but okay Movie

The new Robocop is a nice movie, it have a start, a midle and an end and follows correcly the history, it put's you in the reality of Alex Murphy (the Robocop) and into the near future witch the movie passes. The strong points is in how everything happens and connect, the acident, the need of someone to be Robocop, the movie works well, witch drops you into the
    Quircky but okay Movie

The strong points is in how everything happens and connect, the acident, the need of someone to be Robocop, the movie works well, witch drops you into the movie and hold your attention from the begining to the end.

The weak point is some action scenes, witch doesn't have a nice camera angle game, so sometimes you loose your self and can't follow nicely the action scenes (witch is something important on Robocop), you don't know who is firing, who is dying, this spoiler some action scenes. Another week point is that the movie have some unnecessary scenes, nothing like sexual context or something like this, some scenes only could never exists, some scenes don't add anthing to the movie.

VEREDICT

Robocop can hold you from the begining to the end, puts you into the history of the movie and contextualizates you into the near future context of the movie, witch is nice. The movie disappoint in some action scenes, you really don't know what is happening, the camera switchs is terrible in the action scenes. Is a nice movie, has it problems, but is a clear 70 out 100 movie.
  75. Feb 16, 2014
    Very surprised. I thought this was going to be absolutely terrible (mostly due to the PG-13 rating). However, it was really solid throughout, and the action sequences were very exciting, which is a necessity for a RoboCop film. Highly recommended for any fans of the originals
  76. Feb 18, 2014
    I went into this expecting it to flop, because most remakes do. I was impressed that it didn't flop. I'm glad it didn't, having a good cast is a big part of movies. it wont make a movie, but it can certainly break one (not having a good cast). the story was believable, it was fairly well grounded, the few moments of "FPS mode" were a bit much, but overall it was a good movie that's worthI went into this expecting it to flop, because most remakes do. I was impressed that it didn't flop. I'm glad it didn't, having a good cast is a big part of movies. it wont make a movie, but it can certainly break one (not having a good cast). the story was believable, it was fairly well grounded, the few moments of "FPS mode" were a bit much, but overall it was a good movie that's worth watching (not for 20 bucks, though. ill say ten bucks, maybe five). I do not like how they skimmed over the whole idea of the city being rampant with crime. all we saw was a criminal with a warrant, an insanely long list of people with warrants, one crime boss and two corrupt cops, and a semi-corrupt police chief. so the criminal element was lacking a bit. if this was going to be worth anything at all, it definitely would not be stellar. and that's what it was: worth watching, but not a stellar movie. Still outdid Desolation of Smaug any day of the week. i read the Hobbit book, and i was pissed about the movie(s) Expand
  77. chw
    May 25, 2015
    The 2014 RoboCop was good, but nothing is like the original. Plus, this movie didn't have a single thing different than the original. All they did was add Murphy's family, which added fourteen minutes or so to the original script.
  78. Apr 29, 2014
    I liked it. It was well paced, kept me interested, had some good action. It's no where NEAR as good as the original, which is one of my top 5 favorite movies ever. But, it's a good flick.
  79. Nov 22, 2014
    I watched this film without touching any of the movies from the original trilogy. I thought the film was pretty decent. It seems like more of a prequel because it just didn't quite have the big tough villain that I thought it should. There is a possibility that there may be a second film that may add more dept now that we know where Robocop came from.
  80. Aug 19, 2014
    While I did enjoy this movie I didn't think it measured up to the original. The action scenes were good but seemed somehow muted. I don't like some of the updates they made. I prefer the original silver suit he wore as opposed to the black one in this movie. Also the voice was very fitting in the first one but his voice in this one just didn't fit as well. I thought the acting was greatWhile I did enjoy this movie I didn't think it measured up to the original. The action scenes were good but seemed somehow muted. I don't like some of the updates they made. I prefer the original silver suit he wore as opposed to the black one in this movie. Also the voice was very fitting in the first one but his voice in this one just didn't fit as well. I thought the acting was great and the storyline good. I gave this movie a 7 out of 10. Expand
  81. Aug 15, 2014
    I like the different angle for this robot story. It adds a lot of human perspective, not just shooting.
    Also, i can see different characters surrounding this "almost" robot. Therefore, i enjoy watching this movie.
  82. Jan 4, 2015
    There are enough good ideas floating around that you can see why a modern updating is a good idea, but unfortunately not much is made of them and the rest of the movie is impersonal and generic. I like the idea of Joel Kinnaman in this, but I'm not sure he was quite right for the role.
  83. Feb 18, 2014
    If this was the first Robocop film made I would rank it higher, but it doesn't cover any ground the original didn't cover. The graphics and special effects are better, of course, but the bad guys in the original film are much better, and the first film has a grittier, more realistic feel to it. Not a bad film, but unoriginal.
  84. Mar 13, 2014
    The original Robocop was an amazing movie. The reboot was decent. Sure, it had some action and some cool bits, but it really didn't do the original film justice and in fact strayed quite a bit from the original plot. However, it did have redeeming qualities in the few action scenes and quite well-done acting. As the old phrase that we all remembered goes, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"
  85. Feb 19, 2014
    It does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast isIt does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast is robust enough, the movie falls apart as soon as RoboCop leaves assembly line.

Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, the destined organic material on the machine, does a good performance. The better moments of the movie are how this sturdy rather stubborn detective undergoes life-changing experience, yet still clings to what little humanity he has left. He exhibits vigor and occasional fragility, a compelling story despite the expected human cyborg premise. Gary Oldman as Dr. Dennet Norton, is nothing but superb pick, he seemingly able to become different person in his every persona. As the doctor who's responsible of Murphy's rebirth into more than half machine, he displays much empathy and also pragmatism as his ways aren't always up to moral value he wants.

Donning the role of antagonist is the eccentric entrepreneur, Raymond Sellars played by Michael Keaton. Able to throw money and time just for good advertisement, this man is no villain. In fact, he looks a bit comical at times, surely annoying but works more as commentary of greed than actual threat. Samuel L, Jackson plays a TV persona, Tom Navek, who has a pro machine agenda. He's charismatic, almost in excessive marketing fashion, even though his character is quite unique since he uses monologue aplenty and doesn't interact much with other. With these quirky characters, I can't help but think they wanted to be modern strange authority figures like in Hunger Games, although lacking in sly and wit.

Graphic is good, gadgets appears functional, robots move fluidly and most importantly RoboCop doesn't lumber as if he hasn't been greased for months. The stylistic leaner black tone is admittedly eye-catching, plus it's already a given that superhero reboot always wear dark. Visual clues or indicator effects are good addition to modernize the perspective. Holographic HUD makes the detail sleeker; it's a nice touch and merges well with the action. However, there is one shooting scene in darkness which flickers unreasonably, moment like this is too hectic for their own overly expressive good.

RoboCop starts out decently, the special effects are good replacement for the original's practical ones, cast does satisfactory job, but as it enters the third act it bleeds out like the titular protagonist did. It's by no means a failure, it's merely an average sci-fi movie.
  86. May 3, 2014
    Robocop lacks a human element that is crucial in a film like this. For the most part its a generic action film with some moderately good fight scenes. Its mostly all flash and no substance but still contained entertaining moments.
  87. Mar 31, 2014
    Overall a fun movie with strong action sequences. There were some weak parts in the story and acting but I did enjoy it for what it's worth. My main complaint was that the main character really did not seem to play the part very well.
  88. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why is it that remakes must always lose the prime essence of the original movie they are remaking, and displease those who have already seen the original? That's the first thing I thought after a few minutes into this movie.

My 1st impression of this remake was, why the heck was the violence downgraded to PG12 levels? Suicide bombers and children were gunned down, and shot at long distance to avoid seeing any gore. The toning down of violence also means that the subtle message behind them in the original is lost, and has not been properly replaced. I swear you'd think the 1980s version is a work of art if you gave it a try. Given that said bombers were Iranians, in which in the future the US invades Iran, and herds their people out like sheep ala Germany post WW2, I was also a bit frustrated at the use of stereotypes and subtle jingoism. And what has this scene accomplished? Nothing of relevance, given that the movie is centered in the US.

Alex Murphy as a human has only two qualities: cowboy cop and generic loving dad and husband. The problem here is twofold. Joel Kinnaman is a kinetic actor; he must use his entire body to truly act. So ironically, when he is a robot, that we actually see more of the human side of him. To be fare, he is great as Robocop, as his voice clearly reflects how his personality changes from human to robot without the use of voice synthesizers up until he become full robot. His kinetic style also means he is decent acting in an action role. But when it comes to drama, any shot of him showing the face alone just comes out as trying a bit too hard, unless paired with body shots that show body language.

The other problem is that this movie does NOT practice "Show don't tell". It is heavily told that Detroit has a crime problem, it is heavily told and implied that Detroit PD is corrupt, but there is nothing really shown on screen (beyond the pair of corrupt cops, but ANY PD in real life is going to have a few bad apples). The cowboy cop trope only garners sympathy from me if you show me that it is a necessary evil because the system is already corrupt. This also affects the secondary villain (the arms dealer) and how Detroit looks in general (e.g. Alex Murphy lives in a decent suburban neighbourhood fit for the upper middle class, and Detroit PD's offices looks like a corporate office. How is this a sign of criminal hold on the city????)

Anyway after the bombing of Murphy (so impersonal, and the PG12 means that I cannot muster as much hate against the villain compared to the vicious gunning in the 1980s version), he awakes as a cyborg with only his right hand and torso upwards (very powerful scene BTW) surviving. Here, Robocop initially has his humanity intact, with his memories intact and no Prime Directives. However, after disappointing trials, the Dr. (Gary Oldman) tinkered with his brain to create a more efficient robot and subdued the man. This is a contrived 'touch my nose by twisting my arm around' method of achieving the same theme as the original version. Also here's a plot hole: Since OCP wants a product with a human in the machine, why can't they let humans be in the decision-making process when a robot performs the action? Isn't the point of an AI-control to substitute the human element, because humans cannot act faster or smarter than the AI?

The Robocop suit here is more streamlined, though the black is more of a reflection of themes. Notice that when Murphy was in the classic Robocop suit, he was more human, yet the black suit made him very robot. It's like cybernetics "blackens" the soul, makes you less human, or some subtle nonsense like that.

Action scenes in this movie is generally decent, but the scene in which Robocop gets into a gunfight in a dark corridor is very disorienting. When I can't see **** I don't appreciate it, no matter how many times you try to switch between dark, night-vision (worn by the criminals), and thermal-vision (Robocop). After gunning down the arms dealer that bombed him, Robocop found out that the Police Chief was protecting him, and promptly tries to shoot her, after shooting the two corrupt cops, even though ONE of them never tried to shoot back. It's at this point that I felt no sympathy for Murphy, even as, in the next scene, OCP tried to kill him, and he goes on a rampage to kill Michael Keaton. Again, just because you tell me that the city is corrupt, doesn't mean it is justified to act like a jerk.

On a positive note, Samuel L.Jackson as Ted Novak is truly a well-preserved homage to the original media satire of right-wing leaning media bias. I truly left the theater with his performance shining brightly at the back of my mind.

In short, if you've watched the original, this remake may displease you. If you want a popcorn action flick, you may wish to switch your brain off at certain points of the movie due to plot holes, and poorly justified characterisations.
  89. Sep 2, 2014
    "Dead or alive, you're coming with me." - Robocop

I saw the first movie when I was a little kid.In the first film was more actiune.In film dominates CGI / Special Effects.However, it is a good movie, acceptable. If you liked the old one, it is possible to like and it.
  90. Feb 13, 2014
    While it's nothing compared to the original, even though the original wasn't that remotely great of a movie, this reboot surprised me by it's cool action sequences and visual style. The flaws I had with this movie is that while most of acting is good, the main character (Joel Kinnaman) never surprised me. I only saw a really cool robocop, not a big and vital character. I enjoyed the otherWhile it's nothing compared to the original, even though the original wasn't that remotely great of a movie, this reboot surprised me by it's cool action sequences and visual style. The flaws I had with this movie is that while most of acting is good, the main character (Joel Kinnaman) never surprised me. I only saw a really cool robocop, not a big and vital character. I enjoyed the other performances such as Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, even Michael Keaton; just to name a few. Other flaws I had was this new origin story of how Alex Murphy becomes robocop. The way he became robocop didn't serve a good purpose to the movie whatsoever. Plus, the villains were wasted. Other than that, I can say that i surprisingly enjoyed this reboot even with its flaws in comparison to the original. It's a good "B" movie, and for that I'll give this a B-! Expand
  91. Feb 16, 2014
    The storyline was rather boring. It was cool how they showed Robocop transform throughout the movie. Samuel L Jackson Completely ruined the movie. 6/10
  92. Feb 15, 2014
    Robocop is one of those movies that makes you depressed or sad when the credits begin to roll, because you know they fuc*ked it up. What a mediocre movie. Had so much potential, amazing introduction but failed to deliver anything new or remember able to the audience. Nothing but a boring action movie, with a half hearted storyline.
  93. Aug 1, 2014
    Look, it's Robocop, so if you expected anything better than this, blame yourself. This was a relatively average movie, with average acting, even from some greats, and an average script. It was Robocop as you'd expect it to be. AVERAGE
  94. Jun 3, 2014
    Let's get this out of the way: I expect to be thoroughly entertained, in one way or another, by every film I see. Unless it directly states an ulterior motive at the onset, I want to be moved on my way out of the theater or after ejecting the DVD in a way I wasn't before I watched the film.

Now, in regards to RoboCop, I expected to at least be as happy with the results as I was with the first two, Peter Weller installations. The trailers for this film made this look unlikely, but I wasn't going to be deterred. I'm glad I wasn't.

This film is far from bad. But it is disappointing. With a strong cast (and one of Gary Oldman's best roles in recent memory), more might have been done. That would have necessitated some fleshing out of the script, more intensive relationships between Murphy and those close to him, etc. As it ended up, I enjoyed myself, but was left wanting something else. A weird combination, but an all too common one with major Hollywood productions.

Those who saw and enjoyed the WellerCop films, you'll enjoy this. You might end up wanting more, as I did, but enjoy it you will. You already know the bar wasn't set terribly high to begin with. Those who are virgins to the franchise, start from the beginning and then compare and contrast the old and the new. You don't want to start here. You almost need the plot of the originals to understand how today's technology could lead to that of this film. That, and to understand some of the clever homages to the originals, little treats that definitely made for enjoyable moments.
  95. Jun 30, 2014
    Unique and eventful, those two words truly represents what RoboCop is.
    I was surprised that this movie didn't suck so much as i thought would do, because the actors are very good and there are good amounts of sci-fi and action in this movie. But the story in RoboCop really is weird, and combined with the awful SFX and the worst ending ever, isn't it as great at all.
    RoboCop might not
    Unique and eventful, those two words truly represents what RoboCop is.

RoboCop might not be highly rated, but it's still a cool (and weird) movie.

RoboCop gets a 6,5/10
  96. Feb 20, 2014
    Actually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize theActually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize the movie was PG-13 till after the movie, I just expected it was R, and that is probably why it lacks the grit. The main actor performs well in his TV series "The Killing" but is somehow puts on a bland performance. I can't even judge the other actors, because anyone who wasn't the lead maybe got 20 minutes of screen time total, with the exception of Gary Oldman's character who put on the best performance in this movie. If you are a fan of the amazing classic, you won't "love" this remake, but you at least won't hate it. Expand
  97. Jul 14, 2014
    Whilst it was far better than originally anticipated, RoboCop still suffers from a thin script, wooden acting, poor chemistry, and is quite frankly, boring.
  98. Mar 6, 2014
    I wouldn't buy that for a dollar! It's like they tried to jam as much violence and 2014 Hollywood action into the 100 minute running time still trying to keep it at a PG-13 rating. Still, it had some good moments.
  99. May 31, 2014
    This movie was semi-decent. The action sequences were good but I'm still questioning some of the plot decisions they took. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton do the best with what they were given. It is what it is...an action movie.
  100. Mar 7, 2014
    It was... Alright. The action scenes and concept are pretty cool, and the struggle of being a robot is explored in it. However, there are also quite a few things I did not like...

-Robocop, as cool as he looks and acts, is overall not that Interesting a character. His actor is bland and emotionless, which I guess is implied, but it overall steals from the emotion and depth of the story.

- the plot jumps around, like, a lot. It first starts out showing how US robot drones are terrorizing citizens over seas, but by the end, robo cop is on a vendetta against the guy who made him, and it has nothing to do with the first premise. To put it bluntly, the movie lacks focus.

-some of the acting in this movie is really bad. The jerky weapons guy is bad, the guys wife is 'eh', the doctor who made Robocop is kinda bad, robocops partner is AWFUL, and Robocop himself just doesn't get enough focus to be an interesting character.

So yeah, overall, Robocop is a 'so-so' flick. Sure, it has good fight scenes, an interesting concept, and a pretty in depth look at how being a hero can turn political. But it also doesn't spend enough time building Robocop's character, and lacks the focus on a single story to be a good tale. It's not something I would really recommend, but I did, for the most part, enjoy it, and there are definitely worse movies out there.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Feb 14, 2014
    It's well made, polished, and hits every mark — but is it crazy to want a futuristic sci-fi action flick about a motorcycle-riding metal supercop to be just a little more fun?
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Feb 14, 2014
    Brazilian director José Padilha (Elite Squad, Bus 174) soldiers on stolidly, but lacks the Dutch Verheoeven's abiding sense of mischief.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Feb 13, 2014
    Neither Alex Murphy’s internal moral conflict nor the larger, vaguely satiric portrait of a global culture dependent on high-tech law enforcement seem to be the main point of this Robocop remake, which raises the question of what is meant to be the point.