Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 1, 1996
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 97 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleDec 22, 2014
Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some waysUltimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However, there are some negatives. Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes are not awesome. They are not bad, to be sure, but there are some moments that made me cringe. On top of that, the first half is comically bad. I could not help but laugh throughout as the modern interpretation of this one was beyond terrible in this portion. It improves in the second half, but damn is the first half embarassingly stupid and over the top. As a whole, Romeo + Juliet is not a bad film, but it is certainly not a good film. It is an interesting update to the classic tale, but has too many negatives to become anything more than that. Expand
MrMovieBuffAug 22, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have very mixed thoughts on Baz Lurhmann's take on the famous William Shakespeare tragic love story, "Romeo + Juliet". On the one hand, I think it's a clever way to get teenagers into the story as it does appeal to that demographic perfectly. On the other hand, what we get is a little strange given how it is set during the present time, but the dialogue doesn't match the time period making the tone inconsistent and somewhat confusing.

The two leads are played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes who do share some terrific chemistry with their young energy and spirit. The movie, of course, focuses on the war between the Montagues and the Capulets, but, during a ball at the Capulet side, when Romeo crosses over, he sees the one thing he truly desires. Both Romeo and Juliet meet at the ball and they really hit it off, only to later discover that they are from two opposing families.

Things do get a little heated between the two families when they find out that both Romeo and Juliet are seeing each other in secret, which then leads Romeo to run away in exile, and Juliet eventually faking her own death leading an unaware Romeo to believe that she has died since his departure.

As I said above, I admired the movie trying to appeal to a young demographic, but at the same time, the tone is confused and somewhat disjointed. Since the movie is set in modern times, would it just be easier to craft the dialogue with a more contemporary feel? I understand that the Shakespeare-like dialogue is essential when adapting some of his most famous stories, but here, since the setting is different, the dialogue may as well have been.

Although, I also admire Baz Lurhmann's set pieces, and the action is terrific to watch and often intense. The actors in this movie give it their all as well, playing the roles convincingly and offering enough commitment to make this film an unforgettable and emotional experience. Like I said, I have mixed thoughts in regards to this film, but overall, there are some things done well, and other things that could have been done better.
IAmNinja27Jul 25, 2015
Watching this film again years later, I decided to post my thoughts on it. There are several things I enjoy about this film...in concept. The juxtaposition of old English Shakespearen within a modern setting, while not revolutionary, wasWatching this film again years later, I decided to post my thoughts on it. There are several things I enjoy about this film...in concept. The juxtaposition of old English Shakespearen within a modern setting, while not revolutionary, was interesting. This film has a great cast of actors, less Daynes. And the set pieces are interesting to the eye. I think some people took this all a little too seriously. The negatives, however, do weigh in. Daynes not only doesn't pull off the "look" of Juliet, but she's wooden in her performance. Bare in mind she was only 16-years-old. The action sequences (because they substitute swordplay with gunplay) don't entirely make sense. Some of the music simply does not hold up. Okay, most of the music. But the biggest issue is simply in the execution. They go too far, too over-the-top, too flamboyant for any of it to be remotely believable. It doesn't work. Good concept, not executed well. But I'd still rate this an average 5/10, if not just for cultural significance and nostalgia. Shut off your brain for a little bit and enjoy it for what it is. Expand
Uncle_Cake47Aug 26, 2015
I like its effort its just that this movie would have a lot more potential if the script was not literally copy paste right out of Shakespeare's original play. It's a damn shame they got the casting right the acting spot on but they just hadI like its effort its just that this movie would have a lot more potential if the script was not literally copy paste right out of Shakespeare's original play. It's a damn shame they got the casting right the acting spot on but they just had to copy paste. Some people see is as artsy but I see it as pretentious. Expand
LouisH.Nov 18, 2007
this is a weird movie. The drama loses all of its touch. Just the modern stuff with the past dialouge makes everbody seem like they all escaped from the nut house. Still, they had the cool modern police gun fights and all that. Final rating=5.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Feb 15, 2009
Alright, Baz Lurhmann, with all due respect, what the fuck have you done? Modern day Miami with verona dialog? "get me my longsword"=big gun? Mercution a crossdresser? God, this movie sucked. The only thing that keeps it from being a Alright, Baz Lurhmann, with all due respect, what the fuck have you done? Modern day Miami with verona dialog? "get me my longsword"=big gun? Mercution a crossdresser? God, this movie sucked. The only thing that keeps it from being a complete dud was Leo DiCaprio's performance and the scene where Romeo kills Tybalt. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful