6.2

1. Feb 11, 2014
    This movie is hiLARIOUS! If you think of it as a serious modern adaption of William Shakespeare's play, then you will be pissed off. But from the start, I knew this was a parody of the original play, and I had a lot of fun watching it.

This is the classic Romeo and Juliet story, but more modernized- with guns replacing swords, and rather than the dispute between the families being their religious beliefs, it is a business rivalry. However, the script is the exact same script as the original play, with the same ancient-English lines. Right from there, you should know that this is meant to just be so ridiculously, stupidly over-the-top weird movie, which I find entertaining. It is, in my opinion, utter f*ckng genius.
  2. Dec 22, 2014
    Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However,Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However, there are some negatives. Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes are not awesome. They are not bad, to be sure, but there are some moments that made me cringe. On top of that, the first half is comically bad. I could not help but laugh throughout as the modern interpretation of this one was beyond terrible in this portion. It improves in the second half, but damn is the first half embarassingly stupid and over the top. As a whole, Romeo + Juliet is not a bad film, but it is certainly not a good film. It is an interesting update to the classic tale, but has too many negatives to become anything more than that. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    Embarrassing lazy piece of crap ever made. The Shakespeare language made it insulting to America. Acting was terrible and the directing was horrendous. Don't watch it
  4. Apr 10, 2015
    This has to be the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I'd have to take the drugs Romeo took at the party to even remotely enjoy this horrible piece of s*** that has been taken upon the chest of Shakespeare himself.
  5. Nov 15, 2012
    Very poor at giving one who has not read the books before an accurate impression of the story. The difficult to understand dialogue made any attempt to comprehend the story extremely difficult, and the setting of a fictional Florida city did not help, nor did the African-American cross dressing dancer with a moustache. The party scenes that attempted to show what a party in Renaissance eraVery poor at giving one who has not read the books before an accurate impression of the story. The difficult to understand dialogue made any attempt to comprehend the story extremely difficult, and the setting of a fictional Florida city did not help, nor did the African-American cross dressing dancer with a moustache. The party scenes that attempted to show what a party in Renaissance era may have looked come off as very overdone and look very poor in contrast with the somewhat serious scenes the movie contains. Expand
  6. May 22, 2015
    Well first of all... the first action scene is poorly put together and all other action scenes follow suit. Also the dialogue doesn't fit into the modern day setting, also shaky cam and lots of it this is Leonardo Dicaprio's worst film and will continue to hold this title forever more!
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    Quite possibly one of the only few movies I could not physically tolerate to hear or watch. Modernizing the Shakespeare play, which I think is hyped up exceedingly too much as it is, is made worse by, a surprise, the faithfulness of the dialogue from the play. DiCaprio acted exactly like Romeo, which I think is the worst that he could ever achieve. Shakespeare should be left to the British actors.

I have never seen anything remotely approaching the mess that the new punk version of "Romeo & Juliet" makes of Shakespeare's tragedy.
    While such a loud, brash interpretation may not go down in cinematic history as the definitive version of the play, hopefully it will open a few eyes and widen the audience willing to venture into any movie bearing the credit "based on the play by William Shakespeare."
    It would be destined for the trash heap of Shakespeare adaptations, if not for its female lead, and its heart, 17-year-old Claire Danes.