7.6

1. Cat
    Jul 28, 2006
    The worst movie I have ever seen, bar none. And I believe in gun control! It was just so contrived and melodramatic (oh, this juror's an alcoholic, this one's the victim of domestic abuse, blah blah blah) and the fairytale ending was just plain vapid and unrealistic. Not to mention that it was very poor in the technical department
  2. JohnG.
    Apr 5, 2004
    My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a resented civil liberty. A judicious editing could still save this movie. Expand
  3. TylerC.
    Feb 14, 2004
    This was just such a horrible movie. I heard so many good things about it but it is so unrealistic!!!!!! By the way, i believe in the right to bear arms.
  4. SidneyF.
    Preposterous.
  5. AmberP.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Paul A, I just read your review. Having seen this disaster first hand I would strongly suggest you stick to your day job if you truly liked this dreck. But, opinions are like assh-les in that everyone has one. In your case, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But if you can get by your ADD try to remember what I said about opinions?
  6. SharonW.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Against my better judgment despite the generally poor Metacritic reviews I rented this dreck. There are no words to describe how stupid and ridiculous this plot was. Predictable and genuinely funny which is not what they were going for. Great actors doing nothing more than picking up yet another paycheck.
  7. WendyA.
    Dec 27, 2003
    Not only is this movie only based on John Grisham's novel by title only, but is ridiculous. I might not be alive today had it not been for a firearm in my home. I refuse to allow Hollywood to influence my decision to self-preservation. How many of you would be able to convince a drug-crazed man trying to kill your mother to step aside and give peace a chance? What a waste of a movie, Not only is this movie only based on John Grisham's novel by title only, but is ridiculous. I might not be alive today had it not been for a firearm in my home. I refuse to allow Hollywood to influence my decision to self-preservation. How many of you would be able to convince a drug-crazed man trying to kill your mother to step aside and give peace a chance? What a waste of a movie, and great additions to my Actors I Refuse to Give Money To list. Expand
  8. DudleyR.
    Dec 6, 2003
    Might be the dumbest screenplay ever written.
  9. CarolAnnC.
    Nov 28, 2003
    We all know the jury system no longer works (i.e. OJ and his buddy Durst). Is Scott Petersen the next one to escape justice? But this movie portrayed the majority as complete idiots without any brains whatsoever who could be manipulated by a con artist. Yes, many of us hate serving on jury's but this so called surprise ending was telegraphed twenty minutes into the film. It was just We all know the jury system no longer works (i.e. OJ and his buddy Durst). Is Scott Petersen the next one to escape justice? But this movie portrayed the majority as complete idiots without any brains whatsoever who could be manipulated by a con artist. Yes, many of us hate serving on jury's but this so called surprise ending was telegraphed twenty minutes into the film. It was just terrible. Expand
  10. PatC.
    Nov 25, 2003
    The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the content of their lines is immaterial, what is really being said in turn is, "I can out-act you." But in the end the film morphed into the pure drivel Hollywood is incapable of resisting. Justice isn't complicated or unfair after all - it's simply that bad and incredibly underdeveloped male characters sell guns that kill lovable smurfs in small towns, then hire scumbags like Hackman for damage control - I honestly did not know this was happening. This movie does not insult one's intelligence, it bitch-slaps it. Expand
  11. LaneR.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Just lame. Great actors making a buck and nothing more.
  12. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Stupid movie with a moronic storyline. Couldn't wait for it to end? When it did the audience just laughed. I don't think it was meant to be a comedy? One of the dumbest scripts ever made.
  13. HoraceA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Chris just read your review. I am not pro guns nor do I think many others are either? But the storyline was simply juvenile with the ending predictable a mile away. Why would great actors make such a silly movie? Just bad all around.
  14. JaredH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    This is the best Hollywood could come up with with these great actors? What a disappointment. Avoid at all costs.
  15. BarryB.
    Nov 13, 2003
    It galls me that the professional critics when they like the actors give them a pass. This is an idiotic premise, with the storyline is so unbelievable, that you feel like laughing at the actors when they deliver their lines? Just terrible.
  16. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Runaway if you are thinking of seeing this flick? A waste of time and money. So lame a storyline that I can't believe the actors made this garbage.
  17. MarjorieL.
    Nov 10, 2003
    I couldn't agree more. Just ridiculous from start to finish.
  18. BonnieD.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Very lame script with subject matter that defies anyone with even an ounce of intelligence? Great actors doing nothing. Leaves you empty at the not so surprising conclusion.
  19. Terry
    Nov 6, 2003
    Did anyone find the runaway jury yet? The movie sucked with the alleged surprise ending telegraphed home about 30 minutes into the movie. Unbelievable in every sense of the word with the actors looking as if they were going to crack up delivering their lines. They had to be kidding when they made this crapola.
  20. RobertS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Great actors picking up a paycheck - nothing more! The less said the better.
  21. JackT.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Have they run out of idea's for movies? This one takes the cake. Terrible and lame. A waste of two great actors and one good one. If you must see it, rent it.
  22. ThomasS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    The audience was laughing. Was this supposed to be comedy or a suspense drama? The joke was on me for wasting my time.
  23. Leslie
    Oct 24, 2003
    Talk about feeble, "You're losing me my jury?" Please tell me where they came up with this preposterous idea for a movie? Too stupid to even be believed. Garbage!
  24. GeorgeW.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Was this a comedy? Dumb and dumber!
  25. Fantasy
    Oct 22, 2003
    Great actors in an absolute lame movie devoid of any reality. In my opinion, it was so predictable that I'm surprised that the actors were able to recite their feeble lines without laughing. You could see the ending coming a mile away. As for it even remotely resembling reality - not a prayer on this planet. If you must see it rent on DVD.

1. Like a juicy steak served to a man suffering on a diet of micro-greens and tofu, Runaway Jury will be devoured by fans of movie melodramas.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    With the standard Grisham formula having grown stale after so many books and film versions, Jury introduces ingredients that add zest to the old recipe and, in cinematic terms, open up increased possibilities for intrigue and narrative layering.
    Though star-packed to the point of absurdity--juror Luis Guzmán has little to do but nod his head every once in a while--The Runaway Jury doesn't know what to do with its players.