Rush

8.6

1. Feb 5, 2016
    As a fan of Formula 1, this is one of my favourite movies ever. It brilliantly showcases the rivalry between Niki Lauda (one of the all-time greats) and James Hunt (someone who had the pace, but never fully used his talent) in a dramatic but true way. The two leading men do outstanding jobs as these unique personalities and, especially Brühl, become the racer themselves. Other than these,As a fan of Formula 1, this is one of my favourite movies ever. It brilliantly showcases the rivalry between Niki Lauda (one of the all-time greats) and James Hunt (someone who had the pace, but never fully used his talent) in a dramatic but true way. The two leading men do outstanding jobs as these unique personalities and, especially Brühl, become the racer themselves. Other than these, the score is absolutely fantastic, the racing is very well portrayed and it shows the viewer what Formula 1 really is. Even though it might have had a few minor flaws, this was a perfect representation of a spectacular and dramatic story. Expand
  2. Jan 7, 2016
    Daniel Brühl gives an incredible performance as Niki Lauda, a race-car driver in search of F1 glory, the one thing in his life he feels he has some talent for. In his way stands James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth), a character which proves to be a complete contrast to that of Lauda. The rivalry between these two is what drives this film, supported by the great adrenaline inducing race sequences.Daniel Brühl gives an incredible performance as Niki Lauda, a race-car driver in search of F1 glory, the one thing in his life he feels he has some talent for. In his way stands James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth), a character which proves to be a complete contrast to that of Lauda. The rivalry between these two is what drives this film, supported by the great adrenaline inducing race sequences. The film however, crashes when it comes to dialogue. Throughout the film you're exposed to childish bickering between the characters, both from the leads as well as the minor roles and quickly you get the sensation of being caught up in a quarrel between schoolboys. The petty arguments and remarks cause the viewer to lose some interest in the film and develop a distaste for its two leads. As a consequence, the decision which driver to support becomes troublesome, restricting your engagement in the story. The beautiful cinematography and slick story-telling are Rush's saving grace and make it a decent ride nevertheless, one you wish had less annoying passengers. Expand
  3. Jan 1, 2016
    It's hard to make films about motor sports, it's even harder to make one and base it on real life events. Rush is a somewhat fanciful account of the build up to, and events of, the 1976 F1 Championship. A year in F1 that became legendary the second it came to a conclusion, and was a tale of two men... Niki Lauda and James Hunt, played by Daniel Bruhl and Chris Hemsworth respectively.It's hard to make films about motor sports, it's even harder to make one and base it on real life events. Rush is a somewhat fanciful account of the build up to, and events of, the 1976 F1 Championship. A year in F1 that became legendary the second it came to a conclusion, and was a tale of two men... Niki Lauda and James Hunt, played by Daniel Bruhl and Chris Hemsworth respectively.

The narrative focusses on the fact that the two men are dynamic opposites, Hunt the flamboyant playboy who famously refers to sex as the breakfast of champions, and Lauda the deep thinking and analytically minded racer who is also naturally fast behind the wheel.

The problem with the film is that, like a real F1 season, there are highs and lows and it does get predictable. The highs being the truly awesome recreations of the best parts of the on track action and the scenes which tell the audience the motivations of the two drivers. The lows being pretty much everything else, with several scenes really dragging on and not moving the story forward in any way.

Part of the 'high' are the performances on the 'Lauda side' of the narrative. Daniel Bruhl is probably the only person who could 'be' Niki Lauda in a film, but he's matched by his on-screen girlfriend then wife Marlene, played by Alexandra Maria Lara, who is as beautiful as she's talented.

Conversely, it's hard not to like Chris Hemsworth (as an actor), but his performance is very one-note and muted. Similarly his girlfriend then wife Suzy (played by Olivia Wilde) is unable to convince as the one woman Hunt could want to walk down the aisle with.

Ultimately it's a decent enough film, the action scenes more than make up for the somewhat stilted dialogue and slower parts, but at 122 minutes it's probably about 20 minutes too long.
  4. Dec 22, 2015
    One of the best looking and sounding films of the year on top of being one of the most exciting.

Watch this movie for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29d63d-Rush-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  5. Nov 26, 2015
    Ron Howard does an excellent job at showing the rivalry between the two men and their personal lives. Rush has brilliant cinematography that brings the races to life and keeps you on the edge. Its pure entertainment
  6. Oct 31, 2015
    A brilliant depiction of a legendary rivalry. The attention to detail blew me away in this truly beautiful movie. Hemsworth is great but Bruhl is incredible and Niki Lauda’s cameo at the end brought a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. Almost perfection.
  7. Jun 28, 2015
    A well-written and slick, but Hollywoodish movie. Daniel Brühl portrays Niki Lauda wonderfully, right down to the Austrian accent. The racing scenes are edited with too short cuts (you can't see the vehicle dynamics like, say Ronin), and not shot on location (only bothers anoraks).
  8. Jun 21, 2015
    A visually stunning movie with brilliant performances from Hemsworth and Brühl, and very action-packed racing sequences combined with great writing and directing makes perhaps the best racing film ever made. Daniel Brühl, in my opinion, stole the show completely, and was very believable as the Austrian Niki Lauda. Australian Hemsworth as the British James Hunt may seem confusing, butA visually stunning movie with brilliant performances from Hemsworth and Brühl, and very action-packed racing sequences combined with great writing and directing makes perhaps the best racing film ever made. Daniel Brühl, in my opinion, stole the show completely, and was very believable as the Austrian Niki Lauda. Australian Hemsworth as the British James Hunt may seem confusing, but Hemsworth was believable, though somewhat unlikable as the handsome ladies' man. The CGI during Lauda's fiery crash wasn't well-done, but the rain soaking the track and sliding off the sleek and well-made 1970s F1 cars was very impressive. Both actors are very believable as their characters, the writing is phenomenal, the CGI is decent, the direction is well-done, and the overall look of the film is just beautiful, and makes for a very recommendable film even for those that don't follow Formula 1 that much. Expand
  9. Mar 21, 2015
    Telling the story of the classic rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauder Rush is further prove that real life can be just as intriguing and exciting as any story the movie industry can devise. Anchored by excellent performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl Rush is a must watch for fans of Formula One.
  10. Feb 25, 2015
    Definitely not a racing fan in any way, shape, or form. Still with that being said I enjoyed the movie as it moves along nicely and the acting was good. Why does it always seem like the true stories make better films? The competition between the racers shows that no matter what you do, even if you don't like someone, you can still have respect. As always Ron Howard does a nice job ofDefinitely not a racing fan in any way, shape, or form. Still with that being said I enjoyed the movie as it moves along nicely and the acting was good. Why does it always seem like the true stories make better films? The competition between the racers shows that no matter what you do, even if you don't like someone, you can still have respect. As always Ron Howard does a nice job of producing and directing! Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    Really great show. The races feel completely exhilarating. The characters themselves could have needed more depth, but all things considered they did a good job bringing together the personal and the show. One thing is true: these guys were crazy.
  12. Dec 9, 2014
    Amazing movie, not only for motorsport enthusiast. All falls really well together, great script, great direction, great VFX, great actors, great score = great movie.

Daniel Bruhl is super convincing as Niki Lauda, as well as Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt,
    Must see for every motorsport fan, but not limited to only them
  13. Nov 23, 2014
    Way to go Ron Howard! Rush is likely my favorite movie of 2013. I love the rivalry between the two racers and this is a story that I had no prior knowledge on so I didn't know what to expect in the ending. Both main characters go through some significant development throughout the movie. I would recommend Rush to any sports fan.
  14. Nov 10, 2014
    Rush is a very stylish and slick sports drama that features very strong performances from Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth along with realistic high-octane race sequences.
  15. Sep 2, 2014
    Another brilliant contender of the year! It's incredible how Ron Howard can take a subject not necessarily fascinating to all and make it all the more interesting. All of this backed by two great lead performances.
  16. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Rush is absolutely the best Ron Howard movie ever made. Unlike his other movies like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, there is never a dull moment in Rush.
  17. Jul 18, 2014
    Brilliant movie, Brilliantly directed and brilliantly acted. Ron Howard once again proves he is one of the worlds best Directors. I can not say enough good things about this movie
  18. Jun 21, 2014
    This one was pretty good as a whole. Daniel Bruhl absolutely killed his role here and really stood out for me in this one. The race sequences are expertly put together to make them very intense and thrilling, plus the sound mixing for the cars and the racing was great. In addition, I felt like the 1976 season was covered very well, even as a non-Formula 1 fan. I may be ignorant to thingsThis one was pretty good as a whole. Daniel Bruhl absolutely killed his role here and really stood out for me in this one. The race sequences are expertly put together to make them very intense and thrilling, plus the sound mixing for the cars and the racing was great. In addition, I felt like the 1976 season was covered very well, even as a non-Formula 1 fan. I may be ignorant to things they may have missed, but what they showed was very satisfying and felt like it covered a good bit of information. However, I cannot say the same for the stuff before they get into 1976. The foundations of the rivalry and both drivers' personal lives before 1976 were shown, but poorly put together at best as things seemed to be "rush"ed through and it ultimately left me feeling very unsatisfied. For the first bit of the film, things seemed to happen with no background to them and it almost felt like the film was just skipping from one unrelated scene to another. Luckily, this problem goes away once they get into 1976, but before that, it is a bit messy. For that, it hampered my overall enjoyment a bit, but as a whole, the film is pretty good and very good entertainment. Expand
  19. May 25, 2014
    It's amazing how Ron Howard went from directing The Dilemma to directing this. Having watched The Dilemma I was thinking maybe he had lost it but man was I wrong Rush is an amazing movie and a thrill ride. A true story about two top notch rivals James Hunt(Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda(Brühl) in Formula 1 racing. An amaing movie with fantastic story telling and amazing effects. James Hunt is aIt's amazing how Ron Howard went from directing The Dilemma to directing this. Having watched The Dilemma I was thinking maybe he had lost it but man was I wrong Rush is an amazing movie and a thrill ride. A true story about two top notch rivals James Hunt(Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda(Brühl) in Formula 1 racing. An amaing movie with fantastic story telling and amazing effects. James Hunt is a guy that lives for the moment and likes to have a great time and Niki Lauda a more calulated person who thinks every step out. Overall I give it a 8.2 Rush was a great time and I will for sure be buying it on blu ray. Oh yeah and Olivia Wilde is the amazing to look at so that is always a plus. Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2014
    “Rush” is about the real life fierce rivalry between Chris Hemsworth’s character, James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl’s Niki Lauda. Hunt and Bruhl were both formula 1 drivers during the 70′s and the movie tells us what happened during the years they both raced against each other.

Chris Hemsworth may never get the Thor- stamp off him (and that isn’t that bad since those movies make tonnes of money) but he is genuinly great in this film and the best part is that he isn’t Thor. Chris Hemsworth portrayes James Hunt brilliantly. Hunt is a reckless playboy who is willing to risk his life in a car. Not only does Chris look the part, he also acts just like you would imagine Hunt acting. Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda is the polar opposite of Chris as Hunt. He is the rich, good boy who goes to bed early and who doesn’t party all night. However Lauda and Hunt are not only nice guys and playboys respectably. They are much more than that: Lauda is kinda douchy and not actually the nice guy you would have in a typical movie. Hunt is also troubled and you can, much thanks to Chris’s performance, see the scared side of the character. I can only say that the characters and the actors are the best part of the movie.

Ron Howard is a very underrated director. He is a two time Academy Award winning director and yet he’s never really mentioned in the top. He is however directing this film incredibly well. The editing is also fantastic, Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill are really sharp, working with quick cuts, my favorite technique. There was a certain sequence in the movie where the race wasn’t shown but the result were presented through text on the screen. That directing and editing trick caught me of guard and I admire the wat it was handled.

“Rush” isn’t really about racing. It focuses on the characters more than the cars and that’s how I want my sport movies. Similar to “Warrior” (a review for wich can be found on this very site) I don’t care for the sport in it, I care about the overall story. That being said, the sound of the motors and the way the characters (I seem to constantly come back to the characters) behave towards the sport are great and they kinda made me an ounce interested.

I contend that John Williams is the greatest composer ever but I also believe that the best soundtrack for a movie is the one for “Inception”, “Inceptions” score is composed by Hans Zimmer. He also composed “Rush”. Zimmer crafts a score with might similar to a motor and with the emotion and passion of the driver. It’s a beautiful soundtrack.

A surprisingly good thing about the film is the product placement. It gave a form of credibility to the 70′s racing.

The only real complaint I have about the film is how the relationship between Niki Lauda and James Hunt progresses. While the development is great I didn’t really buy into the way they went from non-respect to respect. I saw how they tried to introduce the growing friednship but it didn’t translate that well ont the screen.

Overall, “Rush” is an intense, thrilling ride (pun intended) with the right focus and no real big flaws. It’s good to see more from Chris Hemsworth and even better that his range as an actor increases. The movie is far from predictable (but if you know about the real life events you obviously know how it’ll end), something that is hard to pull of in a sports movie. Even if you don’t like racing, I think you’ll love “Rush”.
  21. Mar 14, 2014
    Being an avid Formula 1 fan, I could not wait to see this - and it was worth the wait, Beautiful cinematography, multi dimensional characters that you care about and the trueness to the real story line make this a must see, F1 enthusiast or not.
  22. Mar 12, 2014
    I really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like allI really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like all great art the message and appeal are completely left to the individual. Im far too naive to comment on cinematography or editing so Ill just say the movie kicked ass and I watched it twice. As a 38 yr old man with a 9 yr old son, the film led me to question my own values and philosphies about being a man. Well done Mr. Howard......Im now a bandwagon F1 fan. Expand
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    Before watching the film, I thought this was going to just be a silly car racing movie, with no real point whatsoever. After watching, I realized I was completely dead wrong. This movie is exciting, well-directed, well-acted and it is fantastic. Director Ron Howard does the tension incredibly well in this movie. Definitely a recommendation.
  24. Mar 6, 2014
    this film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinesethis film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinese space station and the International Space Station ! Expand
  25. Mar 3, 2014
    Very interesting! Very well directed! Emotional, I highly recommend watching this movie! It was over 2 hours! But I wasn't bored with it! It kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end!
  26. Feb 17, 2014
    In a voiceover during Rush, we hear the voice of Formula 1 race car champion James Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth): “I have a theory why women like racing drivers. It's not because they respect what we do, driving round and round in circles. Mostly they think that's pathetic, and they're probably right. It's our closeness to death.” That quote is not only a telling description of theIn a voiceover during Rush, we hear the voice of Formula 1 race car champion James Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth): “I have a theory why women like racing drivers. It's not because they respect what we do, driving round and round in circles. Mostly they think that's pathetic, and they're probably right. It's our closeness to death.” That quote is not only a telling description of the personality of the character of James Hunt, as depicted in the film, but it also describes the absurd philosophy behind the “rush” of race car driving, and probably any other sport that involves mortal danger. It is the thrill that attracts a certain kind of personality to this dangerous sport, and sadly it may also be the thrill that attracts thousands of spectators.

The morbid appeal of a struggle to the death goes back to ancient sacrificial rites and the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome. There is something fascinating about seeing an athlete who stands before the crowds knowing that he must look death in the face and that he may very well lose the battle. It is the misguided sense of valor, courage, and destiny normally reserved for soldiers and knights, who at least are willing to sacrifice themselves for a noble cause—they are ready to die for country, king, faith, and family. Military courage is the stuff of heroes and protectors, but race car driving? Not really.

The 20% mortality rate mentioned in the film may have improved since the 1970's. Apparently safety measures have been stepped up so that race circuits are much safer than they were 10-20 years ago; the Formula 1 design has also been improved for safety, although the open cockpit of the car still presents a danger to the driver, while proposals to cover the cockpit are controversial. Thirty-two Formula 1 drivers have died during a World Championship Grand Prix, the last one being Brazilian driver Ayrton Senna who died in 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix. The count goes up to 50 if you include drivers who were killed during lesser events (the last death in 2002), and that figure does not include marshals and other bystanders who have been killed on the track.

The film tries to delve beneath the obvious reasons that race car drivers are attracted to the sport, which would be an obsession with automobile mechanics and design as well as an obsession with speed. The story revolves around two historic Formula 1 titans—British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Austrian driver Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl). Hunt is a dashing hedonist who is addicted to cars, women, cigarettes, and alcohol; Lauda is by contrast a stoic, who is quiet, dedicated, and believes that true success lies in the strictest form of discipline. If Hunt is a playboy, Lauda is a monk (although Lauda says he was not as strict as depicted in the film.) They are both attracted to the sport but come armed with completely opposing philosophies. For Hunt, the racetrack is a forum for attention, celebrity and the sensual experience of life; it is his temple for living in the moment and seizing the day. For Lauda, the racetrack is a different kind of temple, one that demands an almost religious reverence and meditation, and where he connects to the deepest part of his soul. The two men are both rivals and friends, and the film doesn't mention that in real life they were once roommates.

Ron Howard's film sets out not just to dramatize a significant race year in the lives of both drivers, but to show how the two differing philosophies affected them both on and off the track. Lauda suffered devastating burn injuries to his face and lungs in a Grand Prix accident of 1976, which caused him to be disfigured for life. He went into a coma and almost died after that race, but then he mustered up the intense will and discipline for which he was known, and he climbed back into his Formula 1 Ferrari just six weeks after the accident, which was nothing short of a miracle. James Hunt achieved his dream of becoming a Grand Prix champion that same year, and a few years later left the sport to become a commentator. Hunt, a heavy drinker and smoker, died of a heart attack at the age of 45.

In another voiceover, this time by the character of Niki Lauda, who in real life won three Grand Prix championships and is now 64 and retired, we hear these words as he speaks of the race that changed him forever: “The other thing I'm remembered for is what happened on August 1, 1976, when I was chasing him [Hunt] like an a**hole.” And that line, perhaps better than anything else, aptly describes the philosophical absurdism of car racing.
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    The story of a movie is cheap and the screenplay is good and not hard to write but its an biography so it doesn't mater,the movie is done perfect it couldn't be done better,its awesome ,awesome directing.Definitley worth watching,Deserved some nominations for awards but that didnt happen.sorry for bad english if there is some
  28. Feb 13, 2014
    I wasn't really expecting to like this movie, as films about auto racing in the past have left me pretty cold, but this movie was extremely well-made, the casting was perfect, and the acting extremely competent. One is tempted to feel that the actors were so well selected that they almost didn't have to act, although that is most certainly not the case, but it does reveal the competence ofI wasn't really expecting to like this movie, as films about auto racing in the past have left me pretty cold, but this movie was extremely well-made, the casting was perfect, and the acting extremely competent. One is tempted to feel that the actors were so well selected that they almost didn't have to act, although that is most certainly not the case, but it does reveal the competence of the film-makers. Expand
  29. Feb 3, 2014
    Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. The film was not at all what I expected. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Days of Thunder, but in the Formula one form. Being based on a true story, the storyline seemed over the top. Best scene was when they were driving in the countryside, very amusing. Ron Howard told the story in a different way than I had expected it to be told.
  30. Feb 3, 2014
    几乎是一部完美的电影,可以说是挑不出任何的缺点,从影片的基调,剧情故事,演员表演,剪辑,配乐等等无一例外都是好莱坞的最强水准,特别是Hans Zimmer激赞的配乐百听不厌,几场比赛更是爽快至极,两位主演带来了他们最好的演技。

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    Rush, though it will win no trophies, is fine filmmaking, a smart, visually engorged, frequently thrilling tale of boyish competition — inspired by a true story. At heart it’s “Amadeus” on wheels, only this time Salieri is the Austrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Sep 30, 2013
    The result is a solid film, but one that remains more interesting than intense.
  3. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 27, 2013
    Still, it is a writer's privilege to trim and tailor at will, and everybody loves a duel. It would take the dullest of curmudgeons not to enjoy the surge of this saga, accurate or not, and the excesses of what already feels like a distant age. [30 Sept. 2013, p.84]