8.5

1. Sep 2, 2014
    Another brilliant contender of the year! It's incredible how Ron Howard can take a subject not necessarily fascinating to all and make it all the more interesting. All of this backed by two great lead performances.
  2. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Rush is absolutely the best Ron Howard movie ever made. Unlike his other movies like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, there is never a dull moment in Rush.
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    Brilliant movie, Brilliantly directed and brilliantly acted. Ron Howard once again proves he is one of the worlds best Directors. I can not say enough good things about this movie
  4. Jun 21, 2014
    This one was pretty good as a whole. Daniel Bruhl absolutely killed his role here and really stood out for me in this one. The race sequences are expertly put together to make them very intense and thrilling, plus the sound mixing for the cars and the racing was great. In addition, I felt like the 1976 season was covered very well, even as a non-Formula 1 fan. I may be ignorant to things they may have missed, but what they showed was very satisfying and felt like it covered a good bit of information. However, I cannot say the same for the stuff before they get into 1976. The foundations of the rivalry and both drivers' personal lives before 1976 were shown, but poorly put together at best as things seemed to be "rush"ed through and it ultimately left me feeling very unsatisfied. For the first bit of the film, things seemed to happen with no background to them and it almost felt like the film was just skipping from one unrelated scene to another. Luckily, this problem goes away once they get into 1976, but before that, it is a bit messy. For that, it hampered my overall enjoyment a bit, but as a whole, the film is pretty good and very good entertainment. Expand
  5. May 25, 2014
    It's amazing how Ron Howard went from directing The Dilemma to directing this. Having watched The Dilemma I was thinking maybe he had lost it but man was I wrong Rush is an amazing movie and a thrill ride. A true story about two top notch rivals James Hunt(Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda(Brühl) in Formula 1 racing. An amaing movie with fantastic story telling and amazing effects. James Hunt is a guy that lives for the moment and likes to have a great time and Niki Lauda a more calulated person who thinks every step out. Overall I give it a 8.2 Rush was a great time and I will for sure be buying it on blu ray. Oh yeah and Olivia Wilde is the amazing to look at so that is always a plus. Expand
  6. Apr 18, 2014
    “Rush” is about the real life fierce rivalry between Chris Hemsworth’s character, James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl’s Niki Lauda. Hunt and Bruhl were both formula 1 drivers during the 70′s and the movie tells us what happened during the years they both raced against each other.

Chris Hemsworth may never get the Thor- stamp off him (and that isn’t that bad since those movies make tonnes of
    money) but he is genuinly great in this film and the best part is that he isn’t Thor. Chris Hemsworth portrayes James Hunt brilliantly. Hunt is a reckless playboy who is willing to risk his life in a car. Not only does Chris look the part, he also acts just like you would imagine Hunt acting. Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda is the polar opposite of Chris as Hunt. He is the rich, good boy who goes to bed early and who doesn’t party all night. However Lauda and Hunt are not only nice guys and playboys respectably. They are much more than that: Lauda is kinda douchy and not actually the nice guy you would have in a typical movie. Hunt is also troubled and you can, much thanks to Chris’s performance, see the scared side of the character. I can only say that the characters and the actors are the best part of the movie.

Ron Howard is a very underrated director. He is a two time Academy Award winning director and yet he’s never really mentioned in the top. He is however directing this film incredibly well. The editing is also fantastic, Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill are really sharp, working with quick cuts, my favorite technique. There was a certain sequence in the movie where the race wasn’t shown but the result were presented through text on the screen. That directing and editing trick caught me of guard and I admire the wat it was handled.

“Rush” isn’t really about racing. It focuses on the characters more than the cars and that’s how I want my sport movies. Similar to “Warrior” (a review for wich can be found on this very site) I don’t care for the sport in it, I care about the overall story. That being said, the sound of the motors and the way the characters (I seem to constantly come back to the characters) behave towards the sport are great and they kinda made me an ounce interested.

I contend that John Williams is the greatest composer ever but I also believe that the best soundtrack for a movie is the one for “Inception”, “Inceptions” score is composed by Hans Zimmer. He also composed “Rush”. Zimmer crafts a score with might similar to a motor and with the emotion and passion of the driver. It’s a beautiful soundtrack.

A surprisingly good thing about the film is the product placement. It gave a form of credibility to the 70′s racing.

The only real complaint I have about the film is how the relationship between Niki Lauda and James Hunt progresses. While the development is great I didn’t really buy into the way they went from non-respect to respect. I saw how they tried to introduce the growing friednship but it didn’t translate that well ont the screen.

Overall, “Rush” is an intense, thrilling ride (pun intended) with the right focus and no real big flaws. It’s good to see more from Chris Hemsworth and even better that his range as an actor increases. The movie is far from predictable (but if you know about the real life events you obviously know how it’ll end), something that is hard to pull of in a sports movie. Even if you don’t like racing, I think you’ll love “Rush”.
  7. Mar 14, 2014
    Being an avid Formula 1 fan, I could not wait to see this - and it was worth the wait, Beautiful cinematography, multi dimensional characters that you care about and the trueness to the real story line make this a must see, F1 enthusiast or not.
  8. Mar 12, 2014
    I really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like all great art the message and appeal are completely left to the individual. Im far too naive to comment on cinematography or editing so Ill just say the movie kicked ass and I watched it twice. As a 38 yr old man with a 9 yr old son, the film led me to question my own values and philosphies about being a man. Well done Mr. Howard......Im now a bandwagon F1 fan. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    Before watching the film, I thought this was going to just be a silly car racing movie, with no real point whatsoever. After watching, I realized I was completely dead wrong. This movie is exciting, well-directed, well-acted and it is fantastic. Director Ron Howard does the tension incredibly well in this movie. Definitely a recommendation.
  10. Mar 6, 2014
    this film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinese space station and the International Space Station ! Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2014
    Very interesting! Very well directed! Emotional, I highly recommend watching this movie! It was over 2 hours! But I wasn't bored with it! It kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end!
  12. Feb 17, 2014
    In a voiceover during Rush, we hear the voice of Formula 1 race car champion James Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth): “I have a theory why women like racing drivers. It's not because they respect what we do, driving round and round in circles. Mostly they think that's pathetic, and they're probably right. It's our closeness to death.” That quote is not only a telling description of the personality of the character of James Hunt, as depicted in the film, but it also describes the absurd philosophy behind the “rush” of race car driving, and probably any other sport that involves mortal danger. It is the thrill that attracts a certain kind of personality to this dangerous sport, and sadly it may also be the thrill that attracts thousands of spectators.

The morbid appeal of a struggle to the death goes back to ancient sacrificial rites and the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome. There is something fascinating about seeing an athlete who stands before the crowds knowing that he must look death in the face and that he may very well lose the battle. It is the misguided sense of valor, courage, and destiny normally reserved for soldiers and knights, who at least are willing to sacrifice themselves for a noble cause—they are ready to die for country, king, faith, and family. Military courage is the stuff of heroes and protectors, but race car driving? Not really.

The 20% mortality rate mentioned in the film may have improved since the 1970's. Apparently safety measures have been stepped up so that race circuits are much safer than they were 10-20 years ago; the Formula 1 design has also been improved for safety, although the open cockpit of the car still presents a danger to the driver, while proposals to cover the cockpit are controversial. Thirty-two Formula 1 drivers have died during a World Championship Grand Prix, the last one being Brazilian driver Ayrton Senna who died in 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix. The count goes up to 50 if you include drivers who were killed during lesser events (the last death in 2002), and that figure does not include marshals and other bystanders who have been killed on the track.

The film tries to delve beneath the obvious reasons that race car drivers are attracted to the sport, which would be an obsession with automobile mechanics and design as well as an obsession with speed. The story revolves around two historic Formula 1 titans—British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Austrian driver Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl). Hunt is a dashing hedonist who is addicted to cars, women, cigarettes, and alcohol; Lauda is by contrast a stoic, who is quiet, dedicated, and believes that true success lies in the strictest form of discipline. If Hunt is a playboy, Lauda is a monk (although Lauda says he was not as strict as depicted in the film.) They are both attracted to the sport but come armed with completely opposing philosophies. For Hunt, the racetrack is a forum for attention, celebrity and the sensual experience of life; it is his temple for living in the moment and seizing the day. For Lauda, the racetrack is a different kind of temple, one that demands an almost religious reverence and meditation, and where he connects to the deepest part of his soul. The two men are both rivals and friends, and the film doesn't mention that in real life they were once roommates.

Ron Howard's film sets out not just to dramatize a significant race year in the lives of both drivers, but to show how the two differing philosophies affected them both on and off the track. Lauda suffered devastating burn injuries to his face and lungs in a Grand Prix accident of 1976, which caused him to be disfigured for life. He went into a coma and almost died after that race, but then he mustered up the intense will and discipline for which he was known, and he climbed back into his Formula 1 Ferrari just six weeks after the accident, which was nothing short of a miracle. James Hunt achieved his dream of becoming a Grand Prix champion that same year, and a few years later left the sport to become a commentator. Hunt, a heavy drinker and smoker, died of a heart attack at the age of 45.

In another voiceover, this time by the character of Niki Lauda, who in real life won three Grand Prix championships and is now 64 and retired, we hear these words as he speaks of the race that changed him forever: “The other thing I'm remembered for is what happened on August 1, 1976, when I was chasing him [Hunt] like an a**hole.” And that line, perhaps better than anything else, aptly describes the philosophical absurdism of car racing.
  13. Feb 14, 2014
    The story of a movie is cheap and the screenplay is good and not hard to write but its an biography so it doesn't mater,the movie is done perfect it couldn't be done better,its awesome ,awesome directing.Definitley worth watching,Deserved some nominations for awards but that didnt happen.sorry for bad english if there is some
  14. Feb 13, 2014
    I wasn't really expecting to like this movie, as films about auto racing in the past have left me pretty cold, but this movie was extremely well-made, the casting was perfect, and the acting extremely competent. One is tempted to feel that the actors were so well selected that they almost didn't have to act, although that is most certainly not the case, but it does reveal the competence of the film-makers. Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2014
    Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. The film was not at all what I expected. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Days of Thunder, but in the Formula one form. Being based on a true story, the storyline seemed over the top. Best scene was when they were driving in the countryside, very amusing. Ron Howard told the story in a different way than I had expected it to be told.
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    几乎是一部完美的电影,可以说是挑不出任何的缺点,从影片的基调,剧情故事,演员表演,剪辑,配乐等等无一例外都是好莱坞的最强水准,特别是Hans Zimmer激赞的配乐百听不厌,几场比赛更是爽快至极,两位主演带来了他们最好的演技。
  17. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never was a big F1 fan, but this film based on a true story, which was the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda has really gotten me interested in the sport! The first 45 minutes were slow, but after that, the film was pure nerve racking, octane fun!

Truly a great film. I would recommend it if you're an F1 fan!
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    It's not the racing that will keep you on your seat, It's the great acting by Bruhl and Hemsworth that make this film all worth while. Bruhl was perfect and Hemsworth proved that is not only a very good actor but also capable of breaking from his type-cast roles as well. Ron Howard once again proves why he is one of Hollywood's top directors as well. Very well done film and I would definitely recommend it. Expand
  19. Jan 19, 2014
    I wasn't expecting the intensity and gripping action that I received during this movie. Not a fan of Formula 1 at all, but this movie delivers even to the people who don't care about it. After a rough start, the movie turns into a non stop thrill ride that makes up for everything that may have gone wrong
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    The only racing I get interested in usually involves the words “kart” and “Mario” but I was shocked by how much I enjoyed “Rush.” The story about Hunt’s and Lauda’s rivalry during the 1976 Formula 1 racing season is interesting enough but the performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl are just impossibly good. Add that with fantastic visual and heart-pounding race sequences and the film ended up being far better than I thought it could have been. Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2014
    Just watched this and was blown away by an amazing story of rivalry and respect between James Hunt and Nicki Lauder in the year of 1976 with a great soundtrack to power things along. Hemsworth and Bruhl give amazing performances and yet again Ron Howard has produced another hit film for all to enjoy.
  22. Jan 13, 2014
    Ron Howard, the master of biographical picture maker. As I know of him, he never failed to transform biographical stories into a movie. In fact, many of his movies are my favourites. This time he picked up a true story of two rivalry formula 1 drivers from the 70s. This biographical sports drama was nothing short in all the aspects compared to his earlier movies. So his legacy continues with a series of masterpieces in his filmography. I am always fond of his works because the mix of sentiments in his movies is powerfully appealing just like I wanted. The emotion tool was very wisely utilized in this movie as well.

The races from the movie were shot awesomely with the old automobile models and sets around. It was a perfect direction utilizing this inspiring true story with two great actors. It won't only tells about races but also the inexplicable friendship between them, which is hard to predict as we are not they. As per my observation I did not detect any flaws, especially races were exceptionally shot, totally to-notch. From the fast pace story narration due to the fine editing to background score and visual effects, we must recognize the A1 quality of the production house.

This movie portrays about the 1976 Formula 1 season where two new comer drivers from Europe, James Hunt and Niki Lauda are considered the top rivalries to grab the world championship title. So their's stunning entry from lower class race to the big event, the clash between them were exhibited very well. Two equally great drivers with different mantras in their life as well implement in the race track was just mind blowing. The story was told from the perspective of both of them where narration frequently switches.

Initially I was not favour to give it a shot. The reason behind it was the Chris Hemsworth, I am not a big fan of his performance. Most of his movies are commercially feel good kind ones so I was a bit hesitated to put my faith in this. And a couple of Ron Howard's last movies as well not like I expected but was just good. This movie completely reformed these two guys and redefined their's capability once again. Regretting for not saw it earlier, but feels good that I did not miss it after all. A highly recommended movie, which was one of the best sports movie from 2013 along with '42'.

9.5/10
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    its quite please to watch and definitely oscar material.One of few movies that managed high standards and fan friendlyness.full with emotions and thrill and no over ating at any point at all.
  24. Jan 7, 2014
    Rush definitely lives up to its name. The way it pumped blood through my head gave me a rush. But quite a few movies manage to do that, and it was solely not for this that I liked the movie. I loved its art direction. It got me believing that I really was looking through a window into the 70s and witness this rivalry replayed.

There are quite a few movies out there vying for our
    attention. They have thrilling car races or chases, and the intention is only that_ to amaze us with the mind-boggling stunts. But Rush endeavoured to be much more than a film about racing cars. It wanted to make us experience how these drivers live, why they choose this profession, how they feel during the time they are behind the wheel, and how much victory means to them. In that task Rush has succeeded beyond my expectations. It set out to do something I had not even expected of it. So it sets itself apart and should be taken more seriously.

Rush is narrated by Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) at key moments of his career. His rivalry with James is spun out of context by the frenzied media. Surely they don't see eye to eye but when such levels of adrenaline are pumping through your veins and you risk everything to gain victory, even the slightest setback makes you envy and loathe your opponent to the extreme.

Both the main characters start off as rookies. Their first encounter and tussle may be fictionalised. Both of them are stupendously talented. But they must make their mark in order to gain attention from the big names in the game. Drivers finish the race but the ones making them the heroes in the public eye are the ones with the cars. And they would have to vie for names such as Ferrari and McLaren to even begin to have some kind of a chance to be among those who finish first.

I found the acting sufficient for the believability of the characters. James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) came across as the universal bad boy with a heart of gold. He certainly has the charisma to pull it off. Lauda was much more complex. He is clearly the type who aim high in life and are willing to do everything to achieve their goals. So Brühl had his work cut out for him but he surprised and rose to the occasion. There are their other sides which are gradually revealed and make them more human and thus more worthy of admiration. It was nice to see Olivia Wilde given a role in a movie that was not a box office bomb or a disaster with the critics.

We are shown glimpses of races around the world intertwined with scenes from the private lives of these two men. The racing scenes were short and well captured. The character development was well done and certainly painted distinct personalities. They joke and verbally spar in their own ways, calling each other names to incite angry responses. No one's the bad guy. They shuffle as the more sympathetic character throughout the movie. I'm glad they didn't resort to add more conflict and contrived fictional gimmicks to offset each other to add drama, which would have ruined it for me. I was constantly waiting for this to happen, for it to slip up and reveal mediocrity, even expecting it, for it is a film about cars, but I was pleased to be proven wrong.

You can have a thrilling movie about car racing or you could have a movie about the lives of drivers with sparse action, but Rush combined both perfectly. Everything was in the right proportions. It had the story, the entertainment value, the mood-changing quality and the effects. The races were brilliantly done. The accidents when they happened were rightly worrying and realistic and not exaggerated. The cars themselves were pure beauties. And I found myself agreeing with the line of dialogue that men love cars more than they love women.

I dare say that Rush has succeeded in supplanting all car racing movies I had previously watched and become my favourite from the genre. But the reason I loved it is it made me think about the importance of human life and why it must not be risked for thrill seeking and for the entertainment of others who do not have the guts to perform such kinds of feats.
  25. Jan 5, 2014
    Rush is exciting with some fascinating characters that you actually care about. It is a solid movie that is just a tad long. Ron Howard directs with ease and lets the story tell itself.
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    Ron Howard's best film in years, Rush is also one of the best film of 2013. Great drama, exciting action scenes...it really portrays the risk and toll of this sport on its 'heroes', the cool playboy Hunt and the calculating genius Lauda. Highly recommended.
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    Director Ron Howard continues to surprise with something that looks and feels entirely European. Gorgeously shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire), this has been aptly described as a character study but on a grand scale. The acting is impeccable and the story and race sequences although shorter than what I wanted will keep anyone on the edge of their seat. One criticism is that even though the film clocks in at 2:03, it feels rushed and hurried at times, which might be appropriate considering. However, this does not take away from the overall effect of being an incredible entry into a sport that America still has not seem to discover: Formula One racing. Expand
  28. Jan 3, 2014
    İzlediğim en iyi biyografi Filmlerinden biriydi bence, Çok iyi bir mücadele geçirmiş iki yarışçının başından geçmiş olayları süper şekilde anlatmış.
    Kesinlikle izleyin..
  29. Dec 31, 2013
    I hate racing, but Rush isn't about racing by itself, it's about an intense rivalry. Even the racing is made interesting because of the sound, score, and cinematography.

Rush gets an 8.3/10
  30. Dec 31, 2013
    Rush is a very stylish and slick sports drama that features very strong performances from Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth along with realistic high-octane race sequences.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    Rush, though it will win no trophies, is fine filmmaking, a smart, visually engorged, frequently thrilling tale of boyish competition — inspired by a true story. At heart it’s “Amadeus” on wheels, only this time Salieri is the Austrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Sep 30, 2013
    The result is a solid film, but one that remains more interesting than intense.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 27, 2013
    Still, it is a writer's privilege to trim and tailor at will, and everybody loves a duel. It would take the dullest of curmudgeons not to enjoy the surge of this saga, accurate or not, and the excesses of what already feels like a distant age. [30 Sept. 2013, p.84]