6.4

1. Nov 21, 2010
    A definite improvement over the last, Saw VI equalizes gore and heart, and although I feel horribly disgusted with myself after the credits roll, my 90 minutes were thoroughly and persistently entertained.
  2. DustinM
    Mar 25, 2010
    This is an amazing film. While they are dragging the series on, this is a great movie. It answers a lot of questions from previous installments as well as an amazing storyline that takes a stab at the failing healthcare system.
  3. Sep 21, 2011
    I expected "Saw 6" as my final Saw movie. Turns out the movie is better than its prequel; it has the theme of blood, gore, horror, a appropriate (but still Cliched) plot twist, and redemption. Bravo Mr. Greutert!
  4. Dec 2, 2010
    "Do you want to play a game". No thanks Jigsaw I`ll pass.

Gets a "1" because you can re-use the DVD as a coaster. Metacritic actually insists that I write more about this movie, even though I don't want to. There is actually nothing else to say about it. Apart from that there should be a ban on releasing sequels that take a franchise beyond a trilogy. I`m all for artistic expression, but
    "Do you want to play a game". No thanks Jigsaw I`ll pass.

Gets a "1" because you can re-use the DVD as a coaster.

Metacritic actually insists that I write more about this movie, even though I don't want to. There is actually nothing else to say about it. Apart from that there should be a ban on releasing sequels that take a franchise beyond a trilogy. I`m all for artistic expression, but the ideas in this film were artistically expressed enough long ago. And really, if you can't tell a story in three films maybe it would be better off as a book.
  5. Nov 18, 2011
    SAW VI is a well-directed, but not well-acted SAW sequel that is one of the best films in the franchise!
  6. WillC
    Nov 1, 2009
    While it may not have the amount of traps and gore as the last 2 films did, this film actually has a plot that doesn't feel like filler. The traps also felt more important and more psychological, which made them better to watch and helped to keep the suspense high. Although it is the best one since 3, i doubt the series can get much better for two reasons. Jigsaw was killed three While it may not have the amount of traps and gore as the last 2 films did, this film actually has a plot that doesn't feel like filler. The traps also felt more important and more psychological, which made them better to watch and helped to keep the suspense high. Although it is the best one since 3, i doubt the series can get much better for two reasons. Jigsaw was killed three movies ago, and even though Tobin Bell gives us another great performance, his lack of a physical appearance will make the films weak when it comes to the main character. The other reason is, Hoffman isn't a very good villain. His character isn't nearly as compelling as Jigsaw's and when you look at him, its obvious he is trying to hide something. Also, its pretty strange to find a conclusion for something that happened 3 movies ago (Amanda's brown envelope) but apart from that, the plot was pretty good. Overall, its not as good as the first 3 movies but its definetly a step up from 4 and 5. Expand
  7. DudeL
    Nov 7, 2009
    It made me laugh a lot at some parts. The twist at the end was pretty decent. For that i give it a 7.
  8. BrianW.
    Oct 25, 2009
    A breath of fresh air to the franchise. Certainly the one where you feel bad for the victims.
  9. TylerD.
    Jan 2, 2010
    This film was abysmal. Uncreative, boring, drab...By far the worst film of the series. Saw II was better than this, and I didn't think it could get much worse than that.
  10. RyanS.
    Jan 29, 2010
    More Saw splatter with the requisite amount of gore. This time it's the evil insurance agents that get tortured by the late Jigsaw from beyond the grave.
  11. RuneG
    Mar 6, 2010
    I don't understand why critics hate this film that much. Guess it's a love/hate thing. The saw films are exactly what they are supposed to be, and they actually contain many serious subjects. Not everybody understands them. They should have their own genre, the saw genre. I like them, and they deserve more credit than they get. Ok, some logic issues in between, but giving it 0 I don't understand why critics hate this film that much. Guess it's a love/hate thing. The saw films are exactly what they are supposed to be, and they actually contain many serious subjects. Not everybody understands them. They should have their own genre, the saw genre. I like them, and they deserve more credit than they get. Ok, some logic issues in between, but giving it 0 points is totally not serious. Tobin Bell is also an excellent actor. Expand
  12. KurtO.
    Nov 30, 2009
    I didn't see this movie but I have to say.... t c you have no idea what you're talking about. The first Saw was BY FAR the best, and the series has gotten progressively worse with each film. 4 was so lousy, I didn't care to watch 5, which got god-awful reviews.
  13. JamesO.
    Nov 4, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic and is probably the second best in the series after Saw III. I will admit that Saw IV and V weren't 10 out of 10s but I still think they were pretty good because they showed alot of back story. But Saw VI fills so many plot holes. and the cliffhanger ending was a surprise to me, and it definitely leaves more room to continue the story, and I am I thought this movie was fantastic and is probably the second best in the series after Saw III. I will admit that Saw IV and V weren't 10 out of 10s but I still think they were pretty good because they showed alot of back story. But Saw VI fills so many plot holes. and the cliffhanger ending was a surprise to me, and it definitely leaves more room to continue the story, and I am interested to see how they do that with Saw VII and Saw VIII. The only thing that irritates me about the Saw series is that alot of people just seem to think that Jigsaw is a guy who goes around torturing/killing people for fun, but obviously those people can't pay attention or understand what the movies or the story behind the movies is about. Anyways GREAT movie, can't wait until the next one. Expand
  14. ChrisB.
    Nov 9, 2009
    seriously people just love to hate on the saw series. I dont know why people seem to bash it. I thought this was one of the best horror films of the year and the best saw movie since the first one. you people can hate on it all want but what it comes down to, you cant think of truly valid arguments, your ratings are border-lining on trolling and you are acting like a child.
  15. OlliverV
    Oct 23, 2009
    I found myself with a clenched fist over my mouth as i saw the new traps jigsaw has this go-around in the franchise. Alot of unanswered questions in the previous installments of "Saw" are put to rest,with jaw-gripping results. Great movie.
  16. LenaR
    Oct 24, 2009
    By far, it's the least favorite in the franchise. Slowly each film has decayed in quality. This one had no suspense, it was very predictable. Saw is known for its twists and this one lacked that. Also, the acting was not of great quality and the "games" were not of the usual standing.
  17. tc
    Oct 25, 2009
    WFT is everyone's beef with this series? its one of the strongest and longest running series in all of horror history. and the films keep getting better! the first saw was totally shabby and 2 wasnt much better, but by 3 they were really getting it together. 4 and 5 are borderline horror masterpieces and 6 was directed by the editor of 1-5 so it is technically incredible! get off WFT is everyone's beef with this series? its one of the strongest and longest running series in all of horror history. and the films keep getting better! the first saw was totally shabby and 2 wasnt much better, but by 3 they were really getting it together. 4 and 5 are borderline horror masterpieces and 6 was directed by the editor of 1-5 so it is technically incredible! get off your high horses for once. Expand
  18. AndrewY
    Oct 25, 2009
    This movie was great, I liked how it had all of the old actors and tied the storyline together!
  19. killdarren
    Oct 26, 2009
    Clearly, ever since well Saw 2 the producers don't give a darn about telling a good story they only want to keep making sequels. I think we're entering the law of diminishing returns and way too many splattered brains. The shop is closed.
  20. ElliottB.
    Oct 31, 2009
    Really good, the best since Saw 2. Way more than just blood and gore this time around.
  21. JoshuaP.
    Oct 31, 2009
    I'd never imagine that they'd be able to topple Saw II. Why I ever doubted is beyond me considering Kevin Gruetert, the new director, has been with the franchise ever since the beginning and knows the ins and outs of the series. Saw VI is quite possibly the best installment in the franchise, and for once we can relate to the people put into the traps and the traumatizing pain I'd never imagine that they'd be able to topple Saw II. Why I ever doubted is beyond me considering Kevin Gruetert, the new director, has been with the franchise ever since the beginning and knows the ins and outs of the series. Saw VI is quite possibly the best installment in the franchise, and for once we can relate to the people put into the traps and the traumatizing pain that the few survivors of the twisted games actually experience after their games. It all becomes better with the new protagonist, William, being given the responsibility to choose between who's life to save in the games, and the guilt that he feels when he takes someone's life in order to save another. This installment is deep, complex and adds a great ending twist along with it, and if people've ever doubted in the franchise, this installment is the perfect reason for curbing that feel. Saw has never been better. Expand
  22. Substense
    Feb 1, 2010
    More Bad Than good, Saw 1-3 Great. Saw 4-6 MEDIOCRE.
  23. dannys
    Feb 24, 2010
    The saw series tells you right away, blood and guts with a plausible story...im deeply sorry it doesn't have a story like the academy awards winners, but it is the first horror movie with a believable story..i'd much rather see this then "friday the 40th birthday- jason put in a nursing home".
  24. JohnR
    Feb 26, 2010
    Saw VI (2009) Genre:Horror/Suspensecompare When I went into the theater, I thought Saw VI would just be a plain old "meh" movie, but, it was actually one of the best installments since the original in my opinion! Saw VI brings the game full circle, answering almost all questions about any about Saw III, IV, and V. The story: Saw VI begins with a grisly test, pitting two people in a fight Saw VI (2009) Genre:Horror/Suspensecompare When I went into the theater, I thought Saw VI would just be a plain old "meh" movie, but, it was actually one of the best installments since the original in my opinion! Saw VI brings the game full circle, answering almost all questions about any about Saw III, IV, and V. The story: Saw VI begins with a grisly test, pitting two people in a fight for survival! Afterwards,Hoffman escapes the glass box from the end of V, and emerges as the unchallenged succesor of Jigsaw's legacy. While the story had twists at every corner, it did have some instances most horror movies suffer from. Such as some iffy acting and a not airtight script in some parts. Soon after the story starts to revolve around an insurance company worker named William Eastman. The plot does take a major jab at insurance companies. Plot Score: 7.7/10 The interpretation: Saw VI had again, a very good story but in some instances, could have been interpreted better by the director's. The scene at the begining, was well made. The carosuel room was phenominal,and the movie was very well made. Interpretation Score 8.5/10 The Actors: Saw VI featured familar faces from the previous chapters, such as Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, and Costas Mandylor. All three of those actors played their role well! While actors like Peter Outerbridge(William Eastman) and Tenedra Howard(Simon)could've been played a bit better,but they still did a great job. The actors score: 7.9/10 The Overall: Overall,Saw VI was a well made movie with the fans in mind, not just the HUGE amounts of money it's going to make. This was a very good installment and is a great movie for hardcore Saw fans and people just into the series! Overall score: 7.8/10 Great! Expand
  25. RobertA
    Feb 5, 2010
    Terrible acting, zero suspense, laughable logic and the promise of another one next year. How can we get this policy canceled?
  26. SebaW
    Apr 26, 2010
    Great movie, but how in the hell can a man plan this out even though he's been dead for 3 movies now...
  27. TravisM.
    Nov 15, 2009
    Saw VI allows people to finally make sense out of how everything was getting done as the original 'jigsaw' killer was in bed sick and finally dead. I go to watch Saw movies, because it seemed to be one series where I could get away from the traditional Hollywood liberal stupidity. However, when I watched the plot unfold for this one, I saw liberalism and the liberal message Saw VI allows people to finally make sense out of how everything was getting done as the original 'jigsaw' killer was in bed sick and finally dead. I go to watch Saw movies, because it seemed to be one series where I could get away from the traditional Hollywood liberal stupidity. However, when I watched the plot unfold for this one, I saw liberalism and the liberal message written all over. Trust me. It's not coincidental that the 'evil' health insurance guy in this movie is marked as the Villain. How convenient! Just as our country is facing the largest governmental takeover of the private sector in the world's history, Hollywood gives it's take on the subject even through the movie Saw VI! For entertainment purposes the movie was good, but the political undertone of this one drives its rating down. All things considered, this was the worst Saw movie yet. Expand
  28. JonhJ.
    Nov 1, 2009
    SAW 6! saw 6 what? 6 carrots? I love carrots... I saw saw 6 yesterday and it was pretty sick... in the fifth one they attempted to saw an oak tree down but the guy who was doing it was blind so he killed like 40,000 people before doing it.... I thought it was very extreme. This one though, takes it too even more extreme levels... THEY TRY TO SAW DOWN A EVERGREEN TREE!!!! I mean, how SAW 6! saw 6 what? 6 carrots? I love carrots... I saw saw 6 yesterday and it was pretty sick... in the fifth one they attempted to saw an oak tree down but the guy who was doing it was blind so he killed like 40,000 people before doing it.... I thought it was very extreme. This one though, takes it too even more extreme levels... THEY TRY TO SAW DOWN A EVERGREEN TREE!!!! I mean, how extreme is that? K, honestly, this movie sucks, one I realised that it was basically the same thing as all of the otehr ones, I just left. I just lied to my girlfriend and said I was going to the bathroom and ditched the movie to have a smoke. IT SUCKS. Expand
  29. JoshH
    Nov 2, 2009
    Some of the scenes in the new Saw were just basic copies of what they've done previously. Jeff in Saw 3 got a similar treatment to the character in this movie. The first two in the series were good, since then, well, it's just been dull.
  30. Kenny
    Nov 4, 2009
    With a devastating start and sacrilegious, we enter what is probably the most intense series of "puzzle". Game after game the movie is inflated and inflated. But I find it strange as this part of the saga is another factor and is the true drama and despair. Each test is a very interesting world, like the carousel, buenisima. I admire the efficiency and skill of Kevin Greutert, and of With a devastating start and sacrilegious, we enter what is probably the most intense series of "puzzle". Game after game the movie is inflated and inflated. But I find it strange as this part of the saga is another factor and is the true drama and despair. Each test is a very interesting world, like the carousel, buenisima. I admire the efficiency and skill of Kevin Greutert, and of course a dash surround, with a nod toward the viewer, at the end of the film. If you have not understood the end, but nevertheless is very significant and is addressed to the viewer. And finally appoint a gem of horror film called Tobin Bell. Magnifico. Fiercely recommend to display this movie, with gusto, not with indifference, you can enjoy a lot. Expand
  31. RyanD.
    Nov 4, 2009
    This has to be one of my favorite horror series! I dont know why everyone hates them so much. They have the best plot twists and it actually makes sense to make more. This twist is one of the best!
  32. TreyW.
    Oct 23, 2009
    Awesome movie and just keeps the twists coming, just as good as the rest of them. I love this series, one of my favorites along with the Friday the 13th series and Halloween.
  33. RickyM.
    Oct 23, 2009
    This film is among the best in the series truly a genuinely scary film solid acting and great traps the saw series continues to shine bring on part 7!
  34. WilliamC.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Saw VI is different from other Saw sequels in the respect that it's more then a cynical franchise cash-in. With a premise that may actually have the audience angry at the trapped victims, a deeper, well paced storyline, and a clever, satisfying plot-twist, Saw VI is a must see for all Saw fans, and if you haven't seen a Saw, this is a good starting point.
  35. RyanS
    Oct 23, 2009
    Terrible. Dumb. An insult to moviegoers everywhere. It's terribly ironic that a film talking about an unethical business was created by a business seeking to make money of cheap thrills and a dumb public who will pour money into a series that should've been "put to the test" and killed off three or four movies ago.
  36. DavidH
    Oct 23, 2009
    Good addition to the franchise, better then 4 and 5; up there with the like of 3. Two good twists, you'll surely see one of them coming thou!
  37. HarveyB
    Oct 26, 2009
    Saw IV is well... just like all the saw movies before it except the first because the first has no flashbacks from any previous film. If you saw Saw IV,Saw V you just add these two and get this film, utter waste of time. go and see "Where The Wild Things Are" instead.
  38. ChadS.
    Oct 27, 2009
    This "Saw" is topical; it makes a point about the true meaning of "exploitation", relative to the filmic sort. The gore remains the same, but here, the blood and guts are placed in a social context, which makes the latest entry in this puerile franchise, a little less pointless than the four preceeding sequels. Real horror is not two people hacking away at their own limbs and entrails in This "Saw" is topical; it makes a point about the true meaning of "exploitation", relative to the filmic sort. The gore remains the same, but here, the blood and guts are placed in a social context, which makes the latest entry in this puerile franchise, a little less pointless than the four preceeding sequels. Real horror is not two people hacking away at their own limbs and entrails in a survivor type contest; real horror is a HMO claims adjuster who says, in so many words, that your insurance policy is worthless. Erikson(Mark Rolston), who denies coverage to a dying man, supplants Jigsaw(Tobin Bell) as the real "Sicko", since the dishonest strategems of an insurance company kills far more people with its profit-based model than a serial killer ever could. Although Michael Moore, more or less, fights the good fight against the HMOs in his 2007 documentary, as is often the case, grandstanding undermines the filmmaker's advocacy, like when he takes a speedboat to the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp, in a disingenuous attempt to secure health care for his documentary subjects. Jigsaw(or John), on the other hand, couldn't be more antipodal, more low-key and self-effacing; he takes on the health maintenance organization from beyond the grave. The sadism in "Saw VI" is a little, a LITTLE more cerebral this time around, as Erickson, an arbiter of life and death, sees for himself, representationally, the after-effects of his rulings. It's hamfisted, but effective, and for some, dangerously cathartic. Expand
  39. AlecB
    Oct 27, 2009
    T.C. your a dumbass, saw 4 and 5 had to be the worst movies ever created, horror masterpieces? lmfao, Saw 6 is the 4th best in the series, which isnt saying much but its at least worth watching, no where as good as the first 3 saws, but 39753497384738 times better then the last 2 saw movies especially saw 5.
  40. TyM.
    Oct 29, 2009
    An encouraging step-up from a slightly declining series. After all, who can expect six movies to keep 100% of the quality every single installment? This does more than would expect and kept a surprising 99% percent. Not relying too heavily on flashbacks and old answers, this film finally becomes an installment not only for hardcore Saw fans but one for newcomers as well. Great plot, many An encouraging step-up from a slightly declining series. After all, who can expect six movies to keep 100% of the quality every single installment? This does more than would expect and kept a surprising 99% percent. Not relying too heavily on flashbacks and old answers, this film finally becomes an installment not only for hardcore Saw fans but one for newcomers as well. Great plot, many well spaced and intriguing twists, not too terrible acting, and good resolution makes this a great film. Fans could only ask for a bit better acting from minor characters (or at least shut them up quicker, but main all characters acting were fantastic) and maybe a final resolution, but I suppose more Saw to go around. If it starts a whole new quality streak for Saw, I suppose one or two more films won't kill us. Changed my mind for a previously "No Way" Saw VII. Expand
  41. TomM.
    Nov 2, 2009
    Debatably the best Saw film made, ranking alongside the first. Probably the most graphic of the series, with quite a good story for a saw film. Only downside is that the actors are unbelievably bad! Costas Mandylor is absolutely shocking, which could ruin the film for you. Except for that it is a very good film.
  42. ShaneMan
    Nov 2, 2009
    Well said TC People + Reviewers who are rating this movie low must not have a clue what is going on or something! The saw series is one of the best film series I have ever watched and will continue to watch them for as long as they make them! Great Movie, As always with saw.
  43. ChrisS.
    Nov 25, 2009
    Saw 1: meh it was ok, Saw 2: awful, Saw 3: wasn't that bad, Saw 4: sucked, Saw 5: awful mess, and now Saw 6: SUCKED!
  44. NateR
    Oct 23, 2009
    I like how it brings the story together and ties off loose ends. It opens just enough questions for us to care about what happens in 7.. the traps are still pretty gruesome..no change there...but in terms of story this was one of the better installments.
  45. Zog
    Oct 25, 2009
    Great addition to the Saw franchise. The story was great and Tobin Bell is fantastic as usual. This time, we actually sympathize with Jigsaw in his game. He has his sights on health insurance companies and we can see where he's coming from, providing a new, refreshing take on the Saw formula. I now am interested in seeing VII, which I initially refused to have anything to do with.
  46. LanaK.
    Oct 25, 2009
    Loved it- great traps, and great kills. Just as engaging as SAW 1.
  47. Sep 19, 2010
    Other Saw series concentrates only how to make more violent and more blood-fleshing; however, Saw 6 shows more psychological traps and dillema between life and death.
  48. Oct 19, 2010
    the traps in the previous movies were even more gorier than the first three and people were like paying attention watching those trap scenes. anyway, Saw VI wasn't excellent, but its so good it is also grisly.
  49. Nov 26, 2011
    It was ok. The acting was decent and the traps no longer relied on just violence but they actually meant something to the person who was being tested. Sadly though the entire plot is just a poor take on a real issue and it doesnt fit well in the Saw world. Its a decent addition to the franchise but nothing really special about it.
  50. Oct 24, 2010
    stupid scary too bloody movie -.- , this is even worse than the final destnation that is even the same people don't want these goddamit awful movies ,...... All things considered, this was the worst Saw movie yet
  51. May 22, 2011
    This is by far one of the best in the Saw series, the plot is awesome, my only complaints are that Hoffman isn't as enjoyable as John was, and the ending was a little confusing, but it's by far one of the best Saw movies so far.
  52. Feb 5, 2011
    The whole franchise is an endless merry-go-round- a detective is found alive, kidnapped by Jigsaw, and put into another one is sick, twisted but fun as hell to watch games.There's nothing wrong about that, it's just when you continue to make installment's to a fran, your supposed to make them more exciting,fresh and still fun-not increasingly dull.
  53. Dec 5, 2011
    Eh it was ok. While Tobin Bell once again shined in the parts that he was in, The acting (besides him) was pretty average. The traps were lame and not that interesting, The film wasnt scary at all. It was pretty generic if you ask me and it was a poor take on a realistic issue. Really disapointing overall.
  54. Feb 24, 2013
    People bash the series as it continues to go on, they judge it based on its pieces, without seeing the whole thing. If one piece (movie) isn't what they wanted or expected, they give up on it, and they have no idea what they are missing!
  55. Feb 12, 2012
    Solid acting through out. The plot was a terrible take on a real life issue and while it was interesting to see how it would be handled in Jigsaw's world, It was simply poorly executed. The traps werent made for shock value (something I liked), They were made to truely test the man who was being tested (He was a higher up in a medical insurance company and he constantly refusedSolid acting through out. The plot was a terrible take on a real life issue and while it was interesting to see how it would be handled in Jigsaw's world, It was simply poorly executed. The traps werent made for shock value (something I liked), They were made to truely test the man who was being tested (He was a higher up in a medical insurance company and he constantly refused coverage/help to people who needed it, His actions resulted in the death of a man who had coverage but he used a loophole in the coverage to get out of paying for his treatment and the man ended up dying). It was a decent horror film at best though. Expand
  56. Oct 30, 2012
    Ugh this is still happening...and it didn't even finish here!! If the nest film isn't the last one I will hang myself, I used to love this series but now its just taking a dump and shoving it in my face. Ok so SPOILERS Hoffman is Jigsaw and that guy whose name I forget totally died at the end of the last film, now he is going after John Kramer's life insurance broker who refused to fundUgh this is still happening...and it didn't even finish here!! If the nest film isn't the last one I will hang myself, I used to love this series but now its just taking a dump and shoving it in my face. Ok so SPOILERS Hoffman is Jigsaw and that guy whose name I forget totally died at the end of the last film, now he is going after John Kramer's life insurance broker who refused to fund his potentially life saving operation or something. You know what this is **** stupid I just quit with this film series. Expand
  57. Nov 3, 2013
    Now, this was unexpected. I didn't expect "Saw VI" to be a big step up from the previous two. It's true though. The plot made some sense and had some decent twists. The acting can easily be seen as wooden in some places and the story does have some holes, but what more can you expect after watching two previous movies that are twice as worse?
  58. May 3, 2013
    And excellent penultimate movie in the Jigsaw Killer franchise. It featured a new protagonist. Hoffman's legacy, awesome traps and the best ending for any Saw movie by date. This movie should have got a higher metascore shame.
  59. Mar 5, 2014
    Much improvement from the previous two. The story is better with less flashback and more concentration on a game. And the game actually makes sense this time and is also more creative. At the end I actually cared if the person lived or died which was different from Saw IV, V. However, due to it being just an average story line and similar to what we have already seen I cannot give this anyMuch improvement from the previous two. The story is better with less flashback and more concentration on a game. And the game actually makes sense this time and is also more creative. At the end I actually cared if the person lived or died which was different from Saw IV, V. However, due to it being just an average story line and similar to what we have already seen I cannot give this any better then 61.8 out of 100. Expand
  60. Mar 4, 2014
    Saw VI focuses on a story of helpfulness and revenge, so it has a meaning. Nevertheless is the movie booring after awhile and the traps can't really improve this situation.
  61. Nov 27, 2013
    Okay, okay... this movie's alright. It's not the best saw movie ever made, but it's also not the worst one ever made. The acting is okay, and the traps aren't that bad. It can get a bit boring (as the fourth and fifth were), but towards the end, it'll get you at the edge of your seats. I actually didn't think it was THAT bad, but it's not that good, either. I really liked the first three.
  62. Feb 24, 2015
    May I see you starting to climb a little. The film is not the same as the previous two films. Anyway, I think I have a very high expectation from a series of seven movies.
  63. Sep 4, 2014
    "Saw VI" is a great return-to-form for the franchise. It's intense, interesting, and bloody: everything I expect from a Saw film. The overall premise of the film is somewhat strange for the Saw franchise, and it didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the films. Nevertheless, it's a great sequel, and I'm glad the series can raise from the dead.... that is until Saw 3D came out.
  64. Apr 25, 2015
    As the health-care debate rages on, let it be known that Jigsaw, the sinister puppetmaster played in life and beyond by Tobin Bell, favors a robust public option. (This, in the world of political punditry, is what they call a “game-changer.”) It isn’t in character for the Saw movies to embrace topicality, but at this point, anything that can help distinguish one entry from the next countsAs the health-care debate rages on, let it be known that Jigsaw, the sinister puppetmaster played in life and beyond by Tobin Bell, favors a robust public option. (This, in the world of political punditry, is what they call a “game-changer.”) It isn’t in character for the Saw movies to embrace topicality, but at this point, anything that can help distinguish one entry from the next counts as progress. Since the first Saw came out in 2004, Lionsgate and a limited group of artisans (the writing team of Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton have turned out the last three, and VI director Kevin Greutert edited all the others) have been giving audiences exactly what they expect, while keeping an eye on the company ledger. Adding a layer of social significance isn’t the worst strategy for a franchise that keeps piling on the convoluted mythos, yet hasn’t changed its risible mix of mechanized death and tongue-clucking morality. Each one plays like a very special episode of Fear Factor, or Extreme Makeover: Self-Mutilation Edition.

Dead since the third entry, yet living on via flashbacks and one endlessly elaborate master plan, Bell’s Jigsaw entrusts the legwork to detective Costas Mandylor, who sets up the “games” his late master devises. After an entertaining prologue that pits one exploitative mortgage broker against another—more topicality!—Saw VI settles on Peter Outerbridge, a health-insurance executive who makes it his business to deny coverage to those who desperately need it. As ironic punishment, Outerbridge is forced through a timed series of trials where he must make those same life-or-death decisions for a selection of carefully chosen victims. Meanwhile, there’s some muddled intrigue involving Jigsaw, his wife, his past and current disciples, and a box he left behind.

Because Saw does nothing to alter the look, tone, and engineered gimmickry from one movie to the next, it keeps going deeper into backstory and character arcs than horror series past, as if this ugly, cheap-looking schlock were somehow The Lord Of The Rings. Even the implements of death are recycled: An acid bath, a power saw, and the signature “reverse bear trap” all make appearances, along with your favorite gears, bolts, and fluttering florescent lights. And clearly, the filmmakers have taken no graft from health-insurance lobbyists, so there’s a soupçon of integrity to the mindless bludgeoning, too.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Warm feelings are inspired by the reappearance of old friends, even those who had their faces ripped off or their intestines ejected several films ago.
  2. The thinnest, draggiest, and most tediously preachy of the Saw films.
    Because Saw does nothing to alter the look, tone, and engineered gimmickry from one movie to the next, it keeps going deeper into backstory and character arcs than horror series past, as if this ugly, cheap-looking schlock were somehow "The Lord Of The Rings."