Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2002
5.5
Mixed or average reviews based on 158 Ratings
WATCH NOW
FreedomFightersOct 31, 2016
It has some charm here and there, and Matthew Lillard is rock-solid as Shaggy, but unfortunately, "Scooby-Doo" falls into the same category as many live-action/CGI hybrids. It's plenty of fun for kids and Scooby-Doo fans, but it's nothingIt has some charm here and there, and Matthew Lillard is rock-solid as Shaggy, but unfortunately, "Scooby-Doo" falls into the same category as many live-action/CGI hybrids. It's plenty of fun for kids and Scooby-Doo fans, but it's nothing adults will want to watch over and over again. Expand
SimpsonFansAug 4, 2016
Ignore the critics. I had a great time watching this hilarious adaptation of the animated TV series from the 70s. Please hand me the Scooby Snacks. I'm gonna need some right now.
gameguardian21Mar 24, 2016
While I never liked scooby doo because of it always being the same thing, this is once again the same thing, so dont expect anything new in a movie like this.
Evyan2002Jan 24, 2016
Scooby doo is full of action packed scenes and entertaining characters. The cgi was ok. This movie brings back so much memories and is full of nostalgia.
EpicLadySpongeJan 18, 2016
Dudes, pass me the Scooby Snacks. I know what to exactly do with them.... not give them to this poor Scooby-Doo movie and actually teach them to make a better movie on the way too.
lukechristianscSep 9, 2015
The film is silly filled with idiotic humor and bland CGI also a terrible mystery, but the film is like the show it has dumb kids humor and it has a dumb fun mystery also the cast does look like the characters from the 60's TV show. The filmThe film is silly filled with idiotic humor and bland CGI also a terrible mystery, but the film is like the show it has dumb kids humor and it has a dumb fun mystery also the cast does look like the characters from the 60's TV show. The film knows that it is awful but director Raja Gosnell and the screenplay by James Gunn can it least they can poke fun at it. Grade C+ Expand
FrenziedPanda99Jul 17, 2015
Sometimes the film becomes too stupid , but still did not prevent me from laughing . The partnership Shaggy ( Matthew Lillard ) and Scooby Doo is clearly the highlight of the film but the participation of comic Rowan Atkinson also was a good shot .
BradySmithSep 20, 2014
Not bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said aNot bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said a million times before, Mathew Lillard was the perfect Shaggy. He sounds like him, he acts like him, and he looks like him. It might not even have been on purpose. He seems like Shaggy in everything he's in, but that doesn't detract from his performance here. The tone's also not very self serious which helps out a lot. Bottom line, the movie's alright, but it's also nothing great. It's formulaic and lacking in inspiration, but it could have been a whole lot worse. In fact, it probably should have been a whole lot worse. I can easily imagine a painfully bad version of this movie. Expand
TheGrapeGangJun 8, 2014
Pure nostalgia fuel. Not a very good film in the traditional sense, but a very enjoyable guilty pleasure for even this big Scooby-Doo fan. If one thing is for certain, kids will love this movie!
MovieGuysMar 12, 2014
Incompetent, silly, and poorly made, the live action Scooby-Doo rehash sucks. It offers little redemption of any kind for its countless flaws. Pass on it.
Leo9127Jan 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hate this movie, it is just horrible, the CGI is **** the movie tries to parody the original show, but fails horribly, the actors are awful, and for some **** reason they made Scrappy-Doo the villain, which is **** stupid. Expand
mariokartheroJan 12, 2014
On New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split upOn New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split up which leaves Shaggy and Scooby. Later on, they are all invited to an island called Spooky Island where they have to solve the mystery of the visitors being cursed.

Some of the things I liked about the movie would have to be the fact that it pretty much retained the Scooby Doo cartoony action and the fight scene with Daphne and Zarkos. It also has a plotline which you would normally find in a cartoon. I like how they made Scrappy Doo the villain this time as he was an annoyance in the cartoon. He was the main reason why the Scooby Doo franchise was ruined in the first place.

The main problems with the movie were the humor at times was a bit too mature, the higher level of violence and mostly the use of mild language in a movie based on the children's cartoon (it is most notable in the ending cutscene when Scrappy says "I would have got away with it if it weren't for you meddling son of a-". I felt that the movie would have done better without those additions.

Overall, I think it is best that kids avoid this movie as it is more violent than the cartoons, it has humor that they will not understand and there is mild language in certain parts. Some people might find the movie good though but others may want to avoid this movie.
moonman1994Dec 23, 2013
Not funny, immature and a complete insult to the cartoon that it was based on. This is a film that my entire family remembers in infamy. It is the only film that we all agree on a rating for and that rating that we agree on is: terrible. IfNot funny, immature and a complete insult to the cartoon that it was based on. This is a film that my entire family remembers in infamy. It is the only film that we all agree on a rating for and that rating that we agree on is: terrible. If you like fart jokes and fourth grader style humor this is the movie for you. If not avoid at all costs. Expand
ItsRaininMenJun 20, 2013
The movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that areThe movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that are innapropriate for little kids but that they wouldn't understand, that were there for adults only. Shaggy and Velma actually felt pretty spot-on, characterization and visual-wise, but, Fred and Daphne were off. Fred was arrogant, and Daphne was whiney, which just didn't feel right for either of them. It's sort of a fun movie, but, it has a lot of failed moments and feels like wasted potential. Expand
UntoldAv3nGerJun 3, 2013
This movie is great. Scooby and Shaggy made me laugh so much! I hope they make more because you never know what is going to happen next to the gang. Scooby Doo, where are you??
Rox22Mar 19, 2013
I read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts,I read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts, particularly Lillard who seems like he was born to play this role. Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze Jr on the other hand do look the part, but unfortunately it is hard to see them as their characters as they are a bit too high profile for the roles they are playing. Overall this is movie perhaps tries to be a bit too serious at times but is overall good for some plain old fun. Expand
potatoes351Feb 22, 2013
Scooby-Doo was one of the cartoons I grew up with as a kid, plus this came out when I was about 6 or 7 so I grew up with the films too and back then they were awesome, but now...not so much.
Scooby-Doo opens with the case of the Luna Ghost
Scooby-Doo opens with the case of the Luna Ghost in which Mystery Inc disband due to disagreements which have been piling up over years. 2 years later they are all invited to Spooky Island by Emile Mondavarious to solve a new mystery. However as they try to work individually to solve the mystery they realise they need each other and that this is no normal mystery, that it could lead to the end of the world.
Scooby-Doo is a great kids film but there is nothing there to satisfy anyone older than 9. The story is poorly written, acting is shoddy (a big surprise seeing as Matthew Lillard from films such as Scream Final Destination plays Shaggy), CGI is poor at best and the camerawork editing are atrocious.
As a 90 minute episode of the TV series this would have been great, but as a live action standalone title Scooby-Doo the movie just doesn't quite cut it to be an averagely good kids film due to some rookie mistakes, but I'm sure the kids will love it either way.
RikiegeJan 12, 2013
It is entertaining and fun.
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
This is probably the best you're going to get attempting a live-action Scooby Doo. It's just not meant to be.
MonsieurEamesJul 14, 2012
It's not an abomination, but it really is an insult to the TV show that I love so much. I loved Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, though, as he stole every scene he was in. The rest of the cast wasn't as good, the story was lame and only a few ofIt's not an abomination, but it really is an insult to the TV show that I love so much. I loved Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, though, as he stole every scene he was in. The rest of the cast wasn't as good, the story was lame and only a few of the jokes were funny. Watch the show instead. Expand
GagaForGhibliJun 5, 2012
Ignore All The Bad Reviews From Critic's This Is A Cute Scary And Funny Movie!
A Really Good Adaptation From Scooby-Doo Where Are You?
Night_Hawk_2012May 18, 2012
A great family movie if you have kids that like the Scooby-Doo cartoons, then you should definitely watch this with them. Matthew Lillard plays the perfect Shaggy, he sounds like the original cartoon version. And is now playing the voice ofA great family movie if you have kids that like the Scooby-Doo cartoons, then you should definitely watch this with them. Matthew Lillard plays the perfect Shaggy, he sounds like the original cartoon version. And is now playing the voice of the character on the new Scooby-Doo cartoon. Linda Cardellini also did great in her role as Velma. And Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr did good too. Expand
ZilcellDec 3, 2011
This Scooby-Doo movie may have occasional strange humor, but the mystery and story of the movie make sense enough that you can enjoy it. You may like the silliness.
grandpajoe6191Oct 17, 2011
Yup. The crude poster says it all....
roddersj04May 11, 2011
Like many others, I enjoyed and liked this film as a kid. But now, as an adult, I can proclaim that this is a true piece of crap. First things first, Matthew Lillard plays the role of Shaggy brilliantly, it's like the dear (alleged) stonerLike many others, I enjoyed and liked this film as a kid. But now, as an adult, I can proclaim that this is a true piece of crap. First things first, Matthew Lillard plays the role of Shaggy brilliantly, it's like the dear (alleged) stoner has been brought to life. Shame about everyone else. The other actors play the role as best as they can, but can't overcome this weak script. Scooby and Scrappy look so fake, theres no way anyone would mistake them for real dogs. And of all the villians to bring into the film, why ue none of them and make Scrappy, the most annoying thing about the cartoon, the bloody villian? The plot is nonsensical, the jokes aren't funny at all and the villians are ill concieved. The traps aren't even as good as the cartoons. At least Sarah Michelle Geller gets to kick ass, Buffy style Like the flintsones, alvin and the chipmunks, Garfield and many (MANY) others, a live action film of a cartoon show does not work. Is there any good live action films based on cartoons? Apart from Death Note and Transformers (1st one), I don't think so. (I'd like to hear if you think theres actually any good live action films based on cartoons, just comment) Just shudder in anticipation for the Smurfs movie Expand
RogerSmith97Apr 18, 2011
I Have Allways Loved S.D. But I Also.... Love This Movie! A Great Childrens/Teen Movie! Overall The Acting Is Very Good & Cute :D The Script Once In A While Seems Repeating Its Self...
Overall 9!
TheQuietGamerMar 5, 2011
I am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added someI am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added some cursing and sex jokes, just like the new tv shows this movie can't seem to get what Scooby Doo is (or was), which is a shame because I was really looking forward to this movie, but was sadly disappointed. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 23, 2010
Ignore the critics. I had a great time watching this hilarious adaptation of the animated TV series from the late 60s.
JeffV.Jul 3, 2006
If you never "got" Scooby Doo, then don't go see it; and don't rate it! I grew up with Scooby Doo, am in my 40's, and I LOVe these movies! Except for Fred and Daphnie, the characters are right-on the mark. Fred and Daphnie are If you never "got" Scooby Doo, then don't go see it; and don't rate it! I grew up with Scooby Doo, am in my 40's, and I LOVe these movies! Except for Fred and Daphnie, the characters are right-on the mark. Fred and Daphnie are actually deeper in the movie than they were in the cartoon. But it is really about Scooby, Shaggy, and the brains of Velma; In other words, it's not the good-looking popular types that save the day, it's the goofy or brainy misfits. A good message to children who may be feeling awkward; showing that even the fearful, goofy or nerdy ones can be cool; and usually turn out to be the coolest. A really fun nostalgic ride. And yes, we all hated Scrappy ;-) Expand
AndrewBMay 21, 2005
Received the DVD as a free throw-away from British Telecommunications. Presumably an advertising gimmick. Watched this sat on setee with my son with my knee packed in ice after an injury and him recovering from a viral infection. Seems to Received the DVD as a free throw-away from British Telecommunications. Presumably an advertising gimmick. Watched this sat on setee with my son with my knee packed in ice after an injury and him recovering from a viral infection. Seems to sum up the film well - him recovering from vomiting and me in agony. Hopefully it'll be years and years before either of us is ill enough to watch it again. I recall watching the cartoons after school years and years ago. Wish I'd got myself a life and smashed the box.... British Telecommunications? A profits warning a few years ago....I hope they sacked that advertising executive....but that'll explain why they were giving away the DVD for free! No sane person would want to own one - surely not. Expand
christopherbMay 21, 2005
I laughed but four times watching this DVD. I wouldn't suggest you watch it evey day.
DecepticonP.Oct 26, 2004
Pure agony. I was really looking forward to this but the event itself was worse than being stuck in a lift with Coldplay without sharp objects to hand.
GaborA.Apr 4, 2004
There are brief moments of bearable humor, but its realy hard to laugh with puke in your mouth. I hated the show but nothing prepared me for the sickening vulgar disgust this movie calls jokes. And when its not stupid or vulgar its just flat There are brief moments of bearable humor, but its realy hard to laugh with puke in your mouth. I hated the show but nothing prepared me for the sickening vulgar disgust this movie calls jokes. And when its not stupid or vulgar its just flat out annoying. All the pills in a CVS couldnt make this watchable let alone entertaining. Expand
raVenJan 3, 2004
(4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it (4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it tried to complicate the simplicity that made Scooby Doo Where Are You? so charming....The makers used what they thought we all liked about the idea (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits) and lampooned what they thought we didn't like about it (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits). They created a cynical self-promoting through self-mocking schizophrenia that is crowned at last by a matching surprise ending. I can't be sure, but I would guess that a lot of loving care went into the production of the animated classic -- campy as it might seem to many. It was innocent fun. This film has none of that, but instead the feeling that it was accomplished at the behest of royalty-hungry Hollywood creatures that may bear close resemblance to this ghastly CGI Scooby. For their part, I think the MTV-brand actors did everything they could, (not much,--but still) and I didn't mind their attempted expansion of their characters' range. But a sad mess otherwise. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
LayneJul 25, 2003
The director takes a reasonably fun idea and turns it into a crude, dark, blasted satire, and yet it still manages to have fun with itself.
RichyM.Jul 14, 2003
Brilliant.
RichM.Jul 14, 2003
Not a great scooby reencarnation but still a great film.
BcyahoeMay 5, 2003
This movie rocks my socks. I love it. Scooby doo is a god among cartoons. And is great even if he's a 3d character.
ErinS.Apr 9, 2003
This movie was stupid and annoying i wish i would've never seen it.
Jo-dT.Mar 25, 2003
This movie woz ace i love scooby and all the gang.
SteveD.Dec 6, 2002
This could be a primer on how to make a bad movie. Start with an idiotic script. Hire an actress with just enough talent to help ruin the camp value. Toss in an awful, self-referential ending, and viola, you have this awful thing. Oh yah, This could be a primer on how to make a bad movie. Start with an idiotic script. Hire an actress with just enough talent to help ruin the camp value. Toss in an awful, self-referential ending, and viola, you have this awful thing. Oh yah, and the CGI Scooby was much scarier than any of the monsters. Expand
ErikaM.Nov 10, 2002
This movie rocked! and any movie with matthew lillard in it deserves a 10! he is such a hottie and still he was in this movie with the shaggy hair! Freddie was also kida hot in this movie but blonde is not a good look for him. Velmas voice This movie rocked! and any movie with matthew lillard in it deserves a 10! he is such a hottie and still he was in this movie with the shaggy hair! Freddie was also kida hot in this movie but blonde is not a good look for him. Velmas voice kinda bored me, and Daphnea's moves and lines werent that great. Scooby Rocked!! and scrappy was so cute. but this movie was great only cuz it had matthew and freddie without them this movie wouldnt have gone over to well. Expand
RosemaryNov 4, 2002
Sometimes when I take the kids to a movie the REALLY want to see, but I don't, I'm pleasantly surprised. Not this time. The term brutal comes to mind.
ShannonH.Nov 2, 2002
This movie stinks. To find out more about this movie, look up "excrement" in the dictionary.
TrystanS.Oct 29, 2002
All I gotta say is that this was almost my favorite move, in fact it would have, all they had to do was leave stupid Scrappy out of the whole idea, and it would have been one of my all time favorites. But it works really great for Halloween.
HugeA.Oct 28, 2002
It was a great movie with a miss leading plot. But it was still an awesome movie!!!
SarahOct 28, 2002
And all three points go to Lillard. He IS Shaggy. Definately made for the role. Not much can be said for the rest of the cast though. Cardellini, while a babe, bored me with her dull voice. Sure, it suits Velma, but the hint of sqeakiness to And all three points go to Lillard. He IS Shaggy. Definately made for the role. Not much can be said for the rest of the cast though. Cardellini, while a babe, bored me with her dull voice. Sure, it suits Velma, but the hint of sqeakiness to it just makes my skin crawl. //The guy she got drunk with was pretty cute though. ^_~// Gellar and Prinze? Gah. Those two I have developed a stong sense of dislike towards. It's bad enough that Prinze's ego annoys me to no end, but Gellar's constant whining makes me want to slap her. Unfairly, I suppose. Still, good casting. These two wouldn't be able to get a more perfect role. Again, cheers to Lillard. And Scooby. Expand
MichaelR.Oct 18, 2002
This is not only the worse film based on a cartoon that I have ever seen, but it is the worse summer blockbuster that I have ever seen. (Yep, there is finally something worse than Wild Wild West.)
TonyC.Oct 16, 2002
This plot was meaningless, the whole "band waiting to split up" part was of course predictable. The cg scooby fouled up a lot of the scenes that could have been funnier. On the other hand, there is a LOT of Innuendo based around Sarah This plot was meaningless, the whole "band waiting to split up" part was of course predictable. The cg scooby fouled up a lot of the scenes that could have been funnier. On the other hand, there is a LOT of Innuendo based around Sarah Michelle Gellar's characterm and that's the entire reason I decided to see it. Now, if they would only make a "Buffy" movie.... Expand
MichaelS.Oct 9, 2002
Keep the dog back in it's doghouse and give the actors some advice please! It's really not good! Only the kids will like it, but than there are scary ghosts... Oh yeah, and where stays Scooby Doo 2?
DamianF.Sep 5, 2002
This is the best movie i ever watched, i liked scooby doo a lot. hope there is a sequel.
LauraB.Sep 2, 2002
It was VERY GOOD!!!!
P.McmJul 27, 2002
Everyone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myselfEveryone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myself laughing quite a few times in the very well done beginning, the funny part, but as the movie went on, it seemed to make an attempt at being an actual mystery, which didn't turn out so well. Expand
LarryM.Jul 25, 2002
One of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Very little plot and immature characters make this a nonsense of a film.
LaurenD.Jul 11, 2002
It would have been a lot better if they stuck to the ideas of the original show instead of modernizing it. Still a good concept though. Matthew Lillard did an awesome Shaggy. And why is it that everyone except Daphne looks like the original?
JessicaC.Jul 9, 2002
I luv scooby doo! its sooo fun to watch. youve got to watch it if you havent! its so funny!
JakeM.Jul 8, 2002
Wow, I finally realized that these people who are doggin' on Scooby have every right too, the characters are far from there counterparts in the 2-D world. But I can't talk a lot of trash about this movie because even through it was Wow, I finally realized that these people who are doggin' on Scooby have every right too, the characters are far from there counterparts in the 2-D world. But I can't talk a lot of trash about this movie because even through it was a stupid kid movie, i still thought it was kinda cool. But i warn you, its also an extremely stupid movie. Expand
JessicaP.Jul 8, 2002
Oh, ppl, pulease. The ones who say Scooby Doo was terrible and had to you've gt to watch, don't listen to those cheapos. It surprising that Shaggy can last a fart for about 2 minutes in the show! LOL! that was funny.
JackieeeeJul 7, 2002
Cute.
TrixieJ.Jul 4, 2002
Very funny. If you like Freddy Prince Jr., or Matthew Lilard then you should see Scooby-Doo.
JordanW.Jul 1, 2002
It had a great plot, very funny and all the characters seem to work very well together. I highly recomend this film, I was laughing the whole time.
MattM.Jun 27, 2002
Cute, colorful, and funny. Good for all ages, but mostly little kids will want to see this one.
ChadS.Jun 23, 2002
"Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. "Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. However, Lillard as Shaggy and Cardellini as Velma are fun to watch, and how they recast the surprise guest is kind of inspired. Scooby gets off one funny throwaway line, and to my surprise, looks plausible enough so the cgi doesn't drive you to distraction. "Scooby Doo" is not a good movie but it's no "Howard the Duck". Expand
TheBlobJun 22, 2002
One of the worst movies I have ever seen!
JJJun 19, 2002
One of the only movies I walked out on. TERRIBLE!
EarlD.Jun 19, 2002
Almost unwachable.
DagnyR.Jun 17, 2002
I absolutely loved this movie.
OrigS.Jun 17, 2002
Please, don't pass the scooby snacks...
1 of 1 users found this helpful
P.T.Jun 17, 2002
Wait for the DVD, it's worth checking out Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, the only living cast member true to the Doo. "Buffy" as Daphne blows. Velma neurotic? Fred vain? Please, why add false dimension to cartoon characters?