5.0

1. Jan 9, 2011
    A hearty "Meh!" for this film. Look, you KNOW what you're getting into whenever you purchase tickets to a Nicholas Cage film: a high-budget, low-brainpower crapfest. I mean, I'm seriously starting to think that this man picks his scripts by throwing darts at a wall. Anyway, knowing the aforementioned full well before entering the theater, "Season of the Witch" wasn't THAT terrible. MaybeA hearty "Meh!" for this film. Look, you KNOW what you're getting into whenever you purchase tickets to a Nicholas Cage film: a high-budget, low-brainpower crapfest. I mean, I'm seriously starting to think that this man picks his scripts by throwing darts at a wall. Anyway, knowing the aforementioned full well before entering the theater, "Season of the Witch" wasn't THAT terrible. Maybe they could have shaved off 15 minutes in the middle due to a few boring scenes... But other than that, there's some entertaining, wacky, and explosive fun to be had. And the bad acting is so bad, it's good. Try to notice the completely discordant use of accents (or lack thereof) throughout the movie. For instance, Nick Cage (the most guilty actor of the bunch) has a classical English accent in some scenes, yet no accent whatsoever in others! Brilliant... In conclusion: yeah, it's a bad movie. But you KNEW that walking in the door. So have a sense of humor, and enjoy some butt-kicking crusaders take on the supernatural. Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tituba's "Barbados songs" are best left to the imagination, but in Nicholas Hytner's adaptation of Arthur Miller's 1953 play "The Crucible", we see the black woman conjuring spells over a cauldron; we also see her disciples, languishing New England schoolgirls, who have gathered in the woods by moonlight for this secret assemblage with the expressed interest of quelling their unrequited passions, once and for all. Into the pot does each girl make her contribution to the love potion, mostly harmless fauna and flora, except for Abigail Williams(Winona Ryder), who brings a live chicken to the estrogen-heightened proceedings. Abigail smashes the bird on a rock, then smears the fowl's blood on her lips. In "Season of the Witch", a principled knight who leaves the Crusades(along with his pal Felson, played by Ron Perlman) after ruminating over the morality of killing innocent women and children(it finally hits him: hey, it's wrong!), dreams about his last victim(a woman that he speared in the chest), and in this delirious reenactment, she feasts on the blood gathered around her mouth, just like Abigail. Did the conscientious objector conjure this image on his own, or did the girl in the cage(Claire Foy), the alleged witch, put it there? John Proctor(Daniel Day Lewis) didn't believe in necromancy, and neither does Behman, which is how he allows himself to be manipulated by Anna, who convinces the runaway knight that the priest, Deblezar(Stephen Campbell), is the enemy. In this world, fourteenth century England, the church's hysteria, concerning the devil and the threat he poses to the inhabitants of the material realm, is warranted, because unlike the Massachusetts of 1692, magic exists; witches walk among the English people, many of them, victimized by the Black Plague. "Season of the Witch", as a result of having studied "The Crucible", plays topsy-turvy with the two camps: the accused(the women, the supposed witches) and the accusers(the church), when the film defies expectations when one of the sentenced women(in the film's opening scene), a confessor(unlike the Miller play, divulging one's guilt doesn't result in an automatic reprieve), turns into a demon after she is dragged out of the icy cold river water, the surprising aftermath of a public execution. It wasn't a senseless killing, after all. Whereas the prologue in the Hytner film(written by Miller himself) suggests the possibility, however slight, that the devil did reside in Salem, which to a certain degree, justifies the micro-proselytizing of the theocratic officials, the church in this "Lord of the Rings"-meets-"The Exorcist" mash-up is seen as totally in their right to round-up potential occultists for their kangaroo court. The witch hunt, with its allusions to McCarthyism, makes "Season of the Witch" a sort of apologist film for the red scare tactics plied by the U.S. senator on many Hollywood professionals in the nineteen-fifties, since the woman in the opening scene, and Anna, indeed do have something to hide. The church, so often portrayed as a patriarchal construct whose sole purpose is to keep robed men in power, in this otherwise forgettable and routine film, is seen as a heroic institution, vital even, since superstition(the root cause of all that goes wrong in John Proctor's world), in this cinematic domain, becomes almost indistinguishable from empirical observation. The devil isn't a psychological entity, something conjured up in the mind's eye of Abigail Williams, but rather, it's a physiological one, as seen in the monastery, home to the Key of Solomon(a book of incantations that contains a spell to break the plague), when the devil breaks loose from the girl's body. Expand
  3. Jan 13, 2011
    Nicholas Cage and Ron Pearlman are not half bad in their roles,even though this creepy movie has not much interesting and all we could we see is a complete dull story with cheap visual effects.
  4. Jan 15, 2011
    Acting isn't all that great, an okay movie but, besides some eye-popping action scenes. There isn't nothing too special about this. Just an action movie with a few good spots. Worth a check once.
  5. Feb 16, 2011
    Lets get the story straight. I really hate Nicholas Cage. He's let all his fame go to his head and he thinks anything he makes is pure gold when in reality most of it is crap. That being said, I went into this movie with zero expectations. That being said, it wasn't horrible. It kept me entertained. The acting as a whole is decent, nothing special from anyone. The special effects areLets get the story straight. I really hate Nicholas Cage. He's let all his fame go to his head and he thinks anything he makes is pure gold when in reality most of it is crap. That being said, I went into this movie with zero expectations. That being said, it wasn't horrible. It kept me entertained. The acting as a whole is decent, nothing special from anyone. The special effects are surprisingly good, the ending fight was very cool to watch. That being said, there are glaring holes in this movie. For instance, some of the acting is just horrible(the supporting characters were just really, really bad. Also, during many parts in this movie, they are just talking, which I'm fine with, but there isn't a point to anything they're saying! If they actually had a point to what they were doing, it would be OK, but they don't. One more thing that was extremely stupid was if what happened was supposed to happen, then this whole journey they take could have been avoided. Overall, Season of the Witch is a movie I probably wont ever see again, but for a one time, popcorn flick its worth a shot I suppose. Expand
  6. Nov 15, 2011
    Such a great plot SotW had, but the choice of cast brought doom upon the film. Nic Cage and Ron Perlman are great but they look and sound out of place as they were in 20th century mode when they should've been in
  7. Jan 29, 2011
    Is Nick Cage still acting? Who's giving him these gigs? Oh well. The film was entertaining enough so long as you have plenty of popcorn and pepsi. The young girl who plays the proposed witch is quite intriguing. But I would not choose this movie over most other films at the theater.
  8. Feb 15, 2011
    What should i say about this, i was excepting this films to be at least as good as The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which it self was not a good film at all, but this goes worse than that. I can not imagine Nic in its new hair cut style :) I went into the movie with hope. The trailer looked promising and I believed that the movie was very well cast, but I realized its not. For a story thatWhat should i say about this, i was excepting this films to be at least as good as The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which it self was not a good film at all, but this goes worse than that. I can not imagine Nic in its new hair cut style :) I went into the movie with hope. The trailer looked promising and I believed that the movie was very well cast, but I realized its not. For a story that should have been treated with a bit more of a linear perspective of Alexander's youth to his death (and everything in between), it hopped around like a suicidal jackrabbit. Changing position without warning and begging for something to quickly put it out of it's misery.
    i worn everyone dont go to see this film, its not worth the money to spent about it. I hope Nic never do another film like this.
  9. Mar 3, 2011
    Perlman role could have been beefed up a bit more, but thankfully Cage kept his mooney-ness subdued. Nice atmospheric setting but the ending was overdone. But overall quite enjoyable.
  10. Aug 23, 2011
    This wasn't as bad as I had expected. I didn't expect much, and proceeding with that disposition, I enjoyed the witchcraft, demonic possessions, and flashy special effects. The "witch" was an interesting character and this film does well in confusing the audience sentiment towards her. Cage occasionally sounded like he was trying to pull off some kind of English accent at times, and it wasThis wasn't as bad as I had expected. I didn't expect much, and proceeding with that disposition, I enjoyed the witchcraft, demonic possessions, and flashy special effects. The "witch" was an interesting character and this film does well in confusing the audience sentiment towards her. Cage occasionally sounded like he was trying to pull off some kind of English accent at times, and it was not attractive. However, as always, Cage does try hard in every role he attempts, and I found a bit of enjoyment throughout this film. What was with the never-ending, relentless, unapologetic multi-battle opening sequence all about? I'm glad I watched it at home however. Expand
  11. BeK
    Jul 11, 2011
    Even though many people consider this a very bad movie, I would very much disagree. Not a summer blockbuster or anything like that, but still a film worth seeing. Nicolas Cage, and his not very admired choices of movies, played a very strong role, as a protector, a crusader, and I might add he did a fairly good job, even though he can do a lot better. As an example "Face to Face". InEven though many people consider this a very bad movie, I would very much disagree. Not a summer blockbuster or anything like that, but still a film worth seeing. Nicolas Cage, and his not very admired choices of movies, played a very strong role, as a protector, a crusader, and I might add he did a fairly good job, even though he can do a lot better. As an example "Face to Face". In general it's a history type movie showing the crusades, combined with magic and death, this is the very short version. See it, and you'll find out that if you enjoy films having the characteristics mentioned earlier you will be impressed, at least in two or three action phases. Not incredible special effects, but well and off a movie which will probably be forgotten sooner than you can say. Underestimated from every aspect, but as a conclusion not that bad. Not much more to say, see it, rate it, and move on. Expand
  12. Jul 15, 2011
    A Typical Nicholas Cage movie. All throughout the movie, you are slightly confused until you witness the mediocre graphics of lucifer (who speaks perfect english, by the way). Although I found the movie slightly bias against the Catholic Church (an understatement really), the message was good. And that only message is this: Decide on a different movie.
  13. Aug 18, 2011
    Before Reviewing I am saying that Nico Cage is my favorite actor !
    This type of road movie (By this type i meant darker tone ) is my favorite ! Although this movie had my favorite actor Cage it had many problem ! story and Directing was week and failed to create suspension !
    Story : .7/2 (Could be lot better and awesome story) Directing : .8/2 (Failed the make it a good movie) Acting :
    Before Reviewing I am saying that Nico Cage is my favorite actor !

Story : .7/2 (Could be lot better and awesome story)
    Directing : .8/2 (Failed the make it a good movie)
    Acting : 1.3/2 (Nico Cage is the best) Sound : 1.1/2 (Not that good)
    Edit & Effect : 1.5 (The most positive side of the movie)
    OVERALL : 5.4
  14. Apr 13, 2012
    I don't really find the film as much low budget as everybody is saying. The acting is not as convincing as it could have been. The story has some flashy moments. It is somewhat worth watching.
  15. Jan 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plot seemed interesting at first, but there is as just as much as historical accuracy in the dialogue during the scenes inside fighting The Crusades as in a bad Titanic flick. The visuals were little above par and the acting (admittedly) wasn't bad. Hell, this could have been a "so bad it's good" pass-over. The only thing that felt forced was the character introductions, and the pacing was moving along so quickly. The part where the new comer alter boy joins the quest, was so cliched. Just fight with blandly arranged choreography and go. Anyway the ending was flat-out horribly cheesy, I don't seem to take the main antagonistic demon to be taken seriously. Overall it wasn't bad, but it could have gotten worse.... Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2013
    Two crusading knights receive the task of transporting a suspected witch through treacherous terrain so that she may stand trial before the church after being accused of causing the Black Plague in SEASON OF THE WITCH. The premise seems thrilling enough, but SEASON OF THE WITCH is sabotaged by its incompetent special effects and unworthy cast. The period setting which director Dominic SenaTwo crusading knights receive the task of transporting a suspected witch through treacherous terrain so that she may stand trial before the church after being accused of causing the Black Plague in SEASON OF THE WITCH. The premise seems thrilling enough, but SEASON OF THE WITCH is sabotaged by its incompetent special effects and unworthy cast. The period setting which director Dominic Sena tries to convey is drowned out by poorly computerized environments that generate a sense of artifice on screen. What makes matters worse are the laughable performances by Nicholas Cage and Ron Perlman, who can't be bothered with simple things like diction or accent when it comes to creating a convincing 14th-century character. Sena doesn't allow for much suspense when we are quickly given glimpses into the witch's powers, leaving behind a long and perilous viewing experience instead. For a superior take on the same theme, be sure to check out Christopher Smith's BLACK DEATH from 2010. Expand
  17. May 1, 2012
    Boring and predictable is all I have to say regarding the story. I was expecting way more out of the cast then this snore. I can't even say anything else, it was just that bad.
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Somewhere in medieval Europe, three women are sentenced to death as penalty for witchcraft, then hanged and drowned for their crimes. All our preconceptions about the brutality and futility of the classic witch trial are brought to the forefront, as the youngest begs for mercy.

The first scene is an introductory vignette of misdirection, as one of the hanged women returns to life and dispatches the sentencing priest. In this universe, the presence of actual witches and demons and the success of biblical incantations in suppressing them lends credence to the church's claims, and makes them somewhat justified in their precautions.

The story stars Nicolas Cage, who has nothing if not a varied filmography. Here, he appears as Teutonic knight named Behman, who returns from the crusades with his friend and comrade Felson (Ron Perlman) to find his homeland ravaged by the Black Death. The scene is set for the duo though a montage of battles chronicling the decades long Crusade, through desert, snow, day and night, all of which seem to be shot on a soundstage, in contrast to the later Alpine location shoots. The characters become disillusioned with the senseless killing, and decide to abscond and return home.

It's not particularly good, but it is entertainingly over the top. Behman and Felson are swiftly recruited to escort a young woman, Anna (Claire Foy), who has confessed to witchcraft, to a monastery where she will stand trial, and become the subject of a ritual designed to halt the onslaught of the plague. They assemble a fellowship that pales in comparison to any Lord of the Rings movie, and set off on a road fraught with peril, through the oppressive forests of Styria (now modern day Austria and Slovenia).

The intention is really to create more of a horror picture than a historical action adventure, as evidenced by the dark colour palette, the central European setting full of Gothic spires and dense forests, and the frequents sights of the afflicted, covered in grim pustules. The genre is further cemented by a cameo from veteran horror star Christopher Lee.

Director Dominic Sena worked with Cage on Gone in 60 Seconds (2000). He was criticised as being a boring director then, and regrettably does little to shift this label now. Thematically, the two works couldn't be further apart, so his ambition is to be admired. Yet the studio was unimpressed with test screenings, and the film was re-edited before release, with some scenes re-shot with a different director, the uncredited Brett Ratner, of Rush Hour and Prison Break fame.

It's a shame, because the rest of the production is actually very high quality, with convincing sets, costumes, and fight choreography. The overall darkness of the film, and the atmosphere of deep forests and abandoned villages, effectively gives the entire piece a foreboding overtone.

The main 'victim' of the piece is Anna, who we are meant to side with as the innocent receiving end of the church's unforgiving stance against witchcraft. After all, her 'confession' was eked out under torture. But flashes of violence and surprising strength belie a darker streak within her. Different members of the group react to her accordingly: the young squire Kay would see her released, whilst unscrupulous guide Hagamar favours killing her swiftly, to end a futile quest. Behman, weary of death and killing, remains ambiguous, focusing on holding the group together.

Again, misdirection is the intention of the film, and it's hard to know what to make of Anna. She saves one member of the group from certain death, but summons wolves to savage another. On some level, she seems to be passing judgement based on the level of trust each of her captors affords her, which itself is unsettling enough to rob her of her little sympathy and paint Kay as a naïve idealist.

Half the time, characters debate the virtues of honour or the church, in typical pseudo medieval Hollywood language. The rest of the time they delve into American colloquialisms. Of course, this is an attempt to write the friendship and banter between Cage and Perlman; it's just not very convincing. Or at least it might be in a buddy cop movie, and not an ominous, medieval environment, heavy with religious symbolism. The film takes itself too seriously the rest of the time to justify the style of humour.

On the other end of the spectrum, Cage gets some of my favourite lines (not necessarily for the right reasons), delivered completely deadpan: “There is no hope here. Only plague.” Say what you will about Cage, but he definitely has entertainment value.

Really, the film’s indecisiveness is the main problem, as the film makers do not seem to know whether they are making a dark and suspenseful thriller, or a buddy road movie. A film squarely in the middle achieves neither. The script too, lets everybody down. It’s certainly watchable as a B-movie romp, so it is perhaps fitting that I viewed this film in its natural home of late night television.
  19. Dec 26, 2014
    The movie may not be the best but still better than many
    battle moment was bad else ok
    enjoyed the beautiful scenario
    though the story could have been better

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Jan 11, 2011
    Things do not end well, least of all for the audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Jan 11, 2011
    Cage appears as a knight of the Crusades, slogging across the continents, slaying infidels and unbelievers and anyone else who gets in his way. There isn't a minute when it looks like he's having fun.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Jenkins
    Jan 10, 2011
    The movie proceeds in near darkness, perhaps to obscure its shoddy special effects, but the pervasive gloom is less discouraging than star Nicolas Cage's indifferent performance.