5.7

1. SteveG.
    Jun 8, 2008
    There's a halfway decent movie in there somewhere - too bad no one bothered to tell the editor. It has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever, amounting to a painfully awkward (and often boring) 90 minutes.
  2. JamesK.
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is a horrible movie. You might laugh once. Maybe twice. I wouldn't bet on more than that.
  3. ProjectGSX
    Mar 5, 2008
    Easily one of the worst movies Ive ever seen. Not only am I a Ferrell fan, but I'm also a San Antonio Spurs fan.. and yet this movie still did nothing for me. Bad, bad, bad. The best parts are in the previews and they weren't even that good. Save your money. Rent the DVD.
  4. MikeB.
    Mar 8, 2008
    anyone else sick of the exact same cookie-cutter jokes? If Ferrell is capable of more, which "stranger than fiction" seems to indicate, than why doesn't he change it up. This is the exact same jokes as anchorman, talladega and blades of glory - just not funny any more. I love Will, but he needs to change it up, just because he is wearing short shorts and a afro wig does not mean that anyone else sick of the exact same cookie-cutter jokes? If Ferrell is capable of more, which "stranger than fiction" seems to indicate, than why doesn't he change it up. This is the exact same jokes as anchorman, talladega and blades of glory - just not funny any more. I love Will, but he needs to change it up, just because he is wearing short shorts and a afro wig does not mean that this is a new role or anything different. I'm a huge fan of his SNL days but I think this movie does not go anywhere near that level of hilarity. It's 'Okay' at best...Try something with some plot, or some kind of point, structure, or original ideas. Expand
  5. iRK
    Jun 4, 2008
    Unfunny and underwhelming. How does shmuck like this keep getting made and released? Terrible.
  6. LarryR.
    Jul 4, 2008
    Probably the least engaging and most boring of Ferrell's films. One scene was repulsive, the rest unfunny. Ending made no sense; just a slapped together movie with faxed in performances. Ever see a movie for free and feel ripped off? I did, it was called Semi-Pro.
  7. JoshK.
    Mar 2, 2008
    I can't believe people thought this movie was funny, will ferrell does not perform as well as he previously had. The previews made the film look a lot better than it really was. The movie was so bad I left the theater, with others as well, because I couldn't take anymore of the movie. Don't get me wrong, I love will Ferrell and basically all of his works, but this movie was I can't believe people thought this movie was funny, will ferrell does not perform as well as he previously had. The previews made the film look a lot better than it really was. The movie was so bad I left the theater, with others as well, because I couldn't take anymore of the movie. Don't get me wrong, I love will Ferrell and basically all of his works, but this movie was absolutely cheesy and horrible. I'm upset I actually paid to see that movie. Hopefully his next movie won't be as bad as this one. Expand
  8. MattM
    Mar 3, 2008
    After seeing this movie and getting a few cheap laughs, I thought to myself Will Ferrell is getting less funny with every movie he makes. This movie just didn't have the supporting cast to make the hilarious comedy that I thought I was going to see.
  9. JayH.
    May 28, 2008
    I am so tired of Will Farrell playing the same type of role over and over. It's getting real old. He needs to move on. This is a stupid and rarely funny movie. Dumb and insulting.
  10. MJ
    Jun 13, 2008
    Will Farrell needs to rethink his life..If you laughed more than twice during this movie you need to rethink your life.
  11. Jun 17, 2011
    I had high hopes for this film, but ultimately, it was a failure. It was not as funny as it looked, and Ferrell was not nearly as good as he usually is. It is not very funny, and the laughs are few and far between. It is not worth the time. If you want a funny Ferrell movie, see Anchorman. Just skip Semi Pro, you won't miss it.
  12. Feb 7, 2012
    One of the most boring movies ever with Will Ferrell... No good laughs and no good acting. Everything about this movie is only boring. I laughed about two times!
  13. BradB.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nothing funny here whatsoever. Worst film I've seen in 3 years. Who wrote this crap and what were they thinking? How much more Wil Ferrell man-boy humor can you take? This movie made it's losses back by Ferrell's Old Spice ads on TV. That suckered a lot of people in who didn't deserve it.
  14. AlexR.
    Jun 5, 2008
    Semi-pro, more like semi-loser. actually, just plain loser. he and the bear had poo sex backstage and his teamates did a gangbang.
  15. MichelleG
    Mar 23, 2008
    I laughed every now and then, but it was mainly when a new character portrayed by a random well known celeb appeared. I'm disappointed that previews got my hopes up and that I spent my money on seeing this movie. It was unoriginal to me.
  16. Mar 15, 2014
    With a plethora of hollywood funny men in this movie, all headed up by Will Ferrell, I'm shocked that this movie really turned out to be this unfunny. I did find a few chuckle worthy moments here and there, but nothing that resembled actual comedy. Some of the scenes in the movie just do not make any sense and end up being painful to watch. A scene where Ferrell is playing poker is aWith a plethora of hollywood funny men in this movie, all headed up by Will Ferrell, I'm shocked that this movie really turned out to be this unfunny. I did find a few chuckle worthy moments here and there, but nothing that resembled actual comedy. Some of the scenes in the movie just do not make any sense and end up being painful to watch. A scene where Ferrell is playing poker is a perfect example of such, as the whole time I was watching I was just wondering what was going on and why. It wasn't funny, just loud, rude, and pointless. I think that is the best way to describe the whole movie.

In the end "Semi-Pro" fails to make any sort of good use of it's usually hilarious cast thanks to it's awkwardly written jokes. What's worse is that it's clear that some of these scenes could have been genuinely funny if put in the hands of a writer who could come up with better dialog and comedic timing. It really is just a boring waste of time and you would be better off watching something else. I give it a 4.2/10-Bad.
  17. Jul 1, 2013
    A Semi-Mess.

Actually no. It's just a mess.

The jokes don't hit. The acting is awkward. And the story is unclear.
    This is definitely one of the minor Ferrell films, and is an example of when improvised comedy doesn't work, as the film just felt utterly confused, and it really dragged.

I just don't have much to say about it. It's extremely sub-par.

Semi-par more like.

Ha.
  18. Feb 7, 2015
    Silly like any other Will Ferrell movie but not funny. Not even on the same page as most of his films. Semi-Pro was a film I was excited for when the trailers were released but it just has nothing on films like Blades of Glory and Anchorman, if you're thinking of watching this, save yourself some time.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    What at least distinguishes Semi-Pro from its predecessors (not only those starring Ferrell, but also such lesser lights as "Dodgeball" and "Balls of Fury") is that it's a slightly darker movie--one made for grown-ups, hence the R rating.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Rosenblatt
    But basketball … basketball doesn’t deserve the Ferrell treatment. Basketball is a sport of kings, a thing of beauty and elegance, America’s game. Which doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be mocked but that if it must be mocked it deserves to be mocked well, and Semi-Pro, unfortunately, isn’t up to the challenge.
    Instead of a satire, they give us a tired, tedious victory-for-the-underdog story, and the unevenness of Ferrell's comedy makes it less appealing.