9.0

1. Dec 2, 2012
    When the user score and the critics score have this big discrepancy, you know the critics really missed something...as in..the mark. This is an EXCELLENT screen production of a superb TV series. Don't miss it.
  2. Nov 28, 2011
    Great movie. Great characters, great story, great writing. This movie was the reason I started watching Firefly and the reason I am an avid Browncoat to this day.
  3. Jan 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Proof that dreams can come true. When Firefly was unfairly cancelled by Fox, Browncoats round the world rallied together to try and revive the series. Sadly, another season was off the cards. But Universal Studios saved the day, by picking up a Firefly film, known as Serenity. They took a gamble, picking up a movie based upon a failed TV show. And you know what? I'm glad they took that chance. Sure, it cost the lives of fan favourites Wash and Sheppard Book, with the latter and Inara off Serenity with less screen time, but it doesn't hinder the story. The dialogue still shines, the chemistry between cast members is still there and the film does not dissapoint. The new villain, The Operative, is a brilliant one, masterfully played by (i'm sorry, I can't spell his name for soup) that awesome guy. We get the story rounded off, with answers about River and the Reavers feature more prominently. The crew finally defeat the alliance and Kaylee and Simon finally get it on! Sure, theres some questions left unanswered (until the comic books are released) but nethertheless, this film is for true fans of both Firefly and the Whedonverse. A sequel may seem unlikely, but we can still enjoy this fine film in all its glory. Praise be to the Serenity Crew Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2012
    Serenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand and moving score from David Newman and Whedon's usual flair for snappy almost poetic dialogue, and this sci-fi really stands out from the crowd. Serenity is aSerenity is proof that Joss Whedon truly understands the key elements of great, involving filmmaking, that is to say, character, relationships and story. With the addition of impressive special effects and production design, a grand and moving score from David Newman and Whedon's usual flair for snappy almost poetic dialogue, and this sci-fi really stands out from the crowd. Serenity is a fittingly grand and rewarding send-off to Firefly, an exceptional TV series cruelly cancelled before it reached its full potential, and Whedon thankfully wasn't tempted to overcomplicate the plot, keeping it relatively stripped-back and linear, sticking to resolving a couple of dangling plot threads from the series, and always focussed on the characters and their relationships that steadily develop over the course of their journey. It feels like we've never left the space-faring rustbucket, as the technically impressive single-shot opening sequence that guides us through the entire vessel proves - the characters are exactly where we left them, and we as an audience feel ready to be re-acquainted with their various eccentricities. The cast all deliver, with Nathan Fillion upping his performance as a far darker Captain Mal Reynolds than we saw in the TV series, Adam Baldwin's towering but soft-at-heart Jayne still brings the laughs, and Summer Glau's psychic warrior angel River proves to be a real force of nature. The newcomers also impress - Chiwetel Ejiofor is terrifyingly calm and collected as a fanatical nameless assassin, and David Krumholtz's information dealer Mr Universe is a fun character and invaluable ally to the crew of the Serenity. Like the preceding series, Serenity is a film of striking contrasts - science-fiction/western, Eastern culture/Western culture, the darkness of human nature and the eternal optimism in the human heart. As a film it delivers not just in terms of spectacle, but in terms of intelligent ideas and emotional character-driven drama, particularly in the film's stunning final act. This universe of galactic frontiers, settlers, smuggling, adventure and mad space cannibals remains endlessly entertaining, and if this really is the final time we'll see Whedon's beloved creation on-screen, then it has been given a majestic final voyage. Expand
  5. Jan 13, 2014
    Serenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show and therefore, most of the story and emotion is predicated on the viewer having built up a certain amount of investment to take full effect. There were someSerenity is a unique movie in the sense that you probably need to have watched Firefly to truly appreciate it. That being said, I have seen the show Firefly so my rating will be dictated by that fact. This is a true sequel to the show and therefore, most of the story and emotion is predicated on the viewer having built up a certain amount of investment to take full effect. There were some minor changes where they altered some of the canon in order to explain things to new viewers and I didn't really care for that much but everything else was perfect. The cast of characters was the same group of beloved and diverse people from the series. The acting was fantastic, the charm was still there, the special effects were obviously improved, and they kept the little things that made fans fall in love with the show years ago. Most importantly, however, they wrapped up the loose ends. This is the conclusion Firefly and the fans deserved. Expand
  6. Sep 8, 2012
    It absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantastic film, the unfortunate cancellation of Firefly left me dead inside, thinking about all the amazing things Joss Whedon must have planned for the show,It absolutely boggles my mind that someone could actually not like this movie, the reviews I've seen that absolutely bad mouth the film, I'm pretty sure they either never watched Firefly or actually understood it. Serenity was a fantastic film, the unfortunate cancellation of Firefly left me dead inside, thinking about all the amazing things Joss Whedon must have planned for the show, there must have been A LOT, so fitting a lot of it into a movie to give it a proper finale must have been tough but pulled off brilliantly! A definite must watch, but PLEASE remember to watch Firefly first! I've seen way too many people watch Serenity without watching Firefly first. Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    2 best genres, mixed. Wonderful, original aesthetics and great political critique of Plato's view on morality and government. The cast is excellent, as the movie earns its stripes as both a stand-alone and a capstone to Firefly.
  8. Sep 3, 2011
    Great characters, great atmosphere and while the story line can somewhat be deduced as you are going along the overall experience is great. Solid all the way through. Too bad this show was canned.
  9. Jan 15, 2012
    Joss Whedon has done it again. I was so happy when I found out they made a movie from Firefly, a cancelled Fox television show. The plot of this movie was astounding, and it wrapped up some of the mysteries of Firefly. It's cast all were presented with top of the line dialogue, and that made the movie so much more enjoyable. I hope someday in the future Joss Whedon will continue to makeJoss Whedon has done it again. I was so happy when I found out they made a movie from Firefly, a cancelled Fox television show. The plot of this movie was astounding, and it wrapped up some of the mysteries of Firefly. It's cast all were presented with top of the line dialogue, and that made the movie so much more enjoyable. I hope someday in the future Joss Whedon will continue to make movies about the crew of Serenity, because this truly was an awesome production. Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2014
    If you loved "Firefly", a TV series ended way before its time, then this is a must-see movie for you. I'm not sure how well people will be able to connect with the plot and the characters if they haven't watched "Firefly" prior to seeing this movie, so you would have to ask one of them how they felt about "Serenity". As a rule, I would tell everyone to watch "Firefly" as well, which prettyIf you loved "Firefly", a TV series ended way before its time, then this is a must-see movie for you. I'm not sure how well people will be able to connect with the plot and the characters if they haven't watched "Firefly" prior to seeing this movie, so you would have to ask one of them how they felt about "Serenity". As a rule, I would tell everyone to watch "Firefly" as well, which pretty much solves the problem.

The movie is pretty much a two-hour TV episode. It has all the elements we've seen on "Firefly": the sarcastic, witty humor, loveable characters, the seriousness, the music, the style, the world.

I'm not sure how exactly the TV show and the movie connect, but River seems to have grown up some. Her behavior seems slightly different - not to mention more battle-ready. Her brother Simon looks better too, I must admit.

The plot itself is well balanced, although there are slightly glitchy moments that make you feel like they don't really belong, but mostly it's smooth sailing - and action-packed dodging. I especially love it that they focused a lot on Reavers, who have always interested me.

There is more action, naturally, and the graphics are beautiful, made with a bigger budget. The music is beautiful, lively and fitting. The costuming and details were good, and to sum it up: this is the movie you watch again, and again... and again.
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    Serenity smashes the plot of Firefly and turns into into an extremely fun horror thriller that will make not only Firefly fans but fans everywhere pleased.
  12. Oct 10, 2013
    I just finished Serenity. I've been putting it off because it gave me the feeling that Firefly wasn't over, that it was still there, whilst I hadn't watched it. But after a minor spoiler, I just decided to do it.

Wow. I've heard mixed things about it, but really, I just can't recommend this enough, if you've watched the series. I think what Firefly always had going for it was the fact

I think what Firefly always had going for it was the fact that it really was unique. Not just the western sci-fi genre or the outcry over the only season, but the writing was just so great. Breaking of cliches was a treat to behold, and the wit; ahh, the wit. Serenity really held true to this for me. It was still original and it wrapped up loose ends so expertly. The villain wasn't generic(at least he was pretty unusual as villains go) and despite having seen similar things to him, he was still a curiosity. All the characters I loved came back, but it was clear time had passed which in Whedon's expert plan had implied events which closed up so much more than I expected.

The film itself; I don't know what to say. It just felt like an extended episode. And god, I loved it. This is more of a love letter than a review, sorry. But if you're like me and didn't want to say goodbye, it's not really goodbye. I promise.
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    Picking up where "Firefly" first season left of this film gives much closure for fans of the series, and it still manages to stand on it's own legs as a movie. If you watched and enjoyed Firefly or just like sci-fie, then this is a must see!
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    I only saw the TV show on Netflix in the first half of 2013, and now I have to read the comics that were apparently written to flesh out the continuity in this 'Verse. This movie offered a welcome salve for my own (belated) disappointment over Firefly itself being cancelled.

There is no way to summarize how good this is. The characters were all themselves, the plot was full and damned if the new settings (I won't spoil in this review) didn't help out as much.
  15. Aug 5, 2014
    This is a great movie, as it has the Wild West in Outer Space feel to it. The storyline is done up with a brilliant sense of reality that can easily be debated on how the Reavers symbolize the actions of a small percentage of the total psychos that actually exist in real life.

I just love a movie with eccentric women in it. One has to really work a plot around an eccentric person as it demands a high effort from the: writers, directors and actors. River Tam represents a woman who has finally began to realize her true potential in life.

1. A brash, funny, action-packed bit of sci-fi ecstasy--and a giant raspberry to the execs who let "Firefly" fall out of the sky.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    What makes Serenity refreshing is its avoidance of CGI, which gives the pic a much more human dimension; the evident chemistry between the cast; and a humor that doesn't rely simply on flip one-liners.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Singer
    Though richly allegorical, Serenity also works as a rousing and unabashedly manipulative adventure that never takes itself too seriously.