7.4

1. Sep 4, 2014
    Another exciting turn for Martin McDonagh.... and yes, this one has it all. Near constant bombastic violence and plenty of laughs. Seven Psychopaths is a movie for writers and you'll see why.
  2. chw
    Jul 19, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths was pretty good. Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Colin Farrell, and Sam Rockwell all acted well in this. And I'm surprised of Colin's accent in the film too, because I've never heard him use his normal Irish accent.
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    Overall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances from an unhinged Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson. This one was not what I expected in the least and the way it was very much about the writing of this film (a la Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation") was pretty odd and unique. The self-referential stuff does get a bit tiresome towards the end, but the film remains a blast to watch thanks to its writing and acting. Overall, much of this one is clicking, but as I said, the self-referential stuff gets tiring and it kind of takes you out of this one by the end, but even then, it is a solid flick that is certainly worth a watch. In terms of Martin McDonagh, I preferred "In Bruges", but this one is a worthy follow-up and I look forward to whatever he comes up with next. Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2014
    cast is Genius but i didn´t like it as much i expected it. it was not that good, i had really high expectations
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many things this movie got right. Expand
  6. May 21, 2014
    I watched this movie 4 times. It's great. It's one of my favourite videos. I was very happy after it, because i've never seen something like this, something good and funny at once. I LOVE IT!
  7. May 15, 2014
    This movie have a very interesting story about a man triyng to write his screenplay, the story and the actors playing the characters are very good, a good dark comedy.
  8. May 12, 2014
    Whilst quite entertaining, the plot really feels neglected and at times aimless. There's really only 4 "psychopaths" (in quotes since - to me only 1 of them really were psychotic.) - and I feel cheated. It was still enjoyable though, and the characters are pretty interesting. The acting was top-notch, which makes the rest of the movie kinda a shame - they could have done so much better with such brilliant acting if they had a better script. Expand
  9. May 8, 2014
    The BEST move my eyes could ever see.LOVE IT => the acting of the characters was just OUTSTANDING.....LOVE THIS MOVIE SOO MUCH !!!.this could be an great story for an MafiaIII Game :)
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    From the same director as the cult black comedy In Bruges, a masterclass in comedy film making, comes this complex dark thriller Seven Psychopaths.
    Colin Farrell is playing himself an alcoholic and slightly paranoid Irishman, the only difference between Marty and Ray from In Bruges is that he doesn't say a lot. An ensemble cast including Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell
    and Olga Kurylenko joins him and in in short hilarity ensues. From the reason they are hunting each other down to minor details like when a gun won't fire, everything is some kind of joke even if some attempts at humor are a bit hit and miss. Unlike the vastly superior In Bruges this appeals to a wide audience because of how slick and cool the backstories behind each psychopath are, specifically The Quaker who is one of the coolest movie characters ever. However just because most of the characters are killers does not mean you feel nothing for them, sure it's not like In Bruges where you are almost in tears for a child murdering hit man, but you definitely care for them which is not an easy thing to do. Some people have claimed that it mistakes violence for humor and isn't witty at all, but I argue that that never stopped Oscar winners like Tarantino and Scorsese.
    A hugely enjoyable bleak (not black) comedy full of laughs, shootouts and strangely likable characters. It's not even in the same league as In Bruges but I loved it.
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    Very funny and also very violent. If you like dark humor then you will like this film. The entire cast is perfect and it was very original. It wasn't perfect but all and all it was a good film.
  12. Dec 19, 2013
    This felt a lot like a Tarantino or Guy Ritchie rip off. It wasn't clever, didn't have enough plot twists, and had no real surprises. I enjoyed both Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken, but the rest of the actors were just kind of there and didn't do much for me. Overall, not a bad movie, but neither is it a great one.
  13. Nov 21, 2013
    Surprisingly good. Very intriguing and interesting premise and plot. So meta! Definitely a little strange at times. The acting is superb along with the dialogue. Funny, off-beat, and at times violent, this was more entertaining than I thought it would be.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    This is a black/criminal comedy, pretty bloody I must say. It includes a whole bunch of awesome actors. The story is interesting and original. There are several characters with their own stories and they merge into one plot, I won't spoil any of them. Overall, this one is advised to everyone who likes really good movies.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write, he has the title at the top of the page, the same as the real film, but not much else. He ends up getting quite a bit more than he bargained for when is loose cannon of a friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), decides to put an ad in the paper reaching out for actual psychopaths, its dry and believable approach can only come from the man behind ‘In Bruges’ and ‘The Guard’, Martin McDonagh makes films that are soaked in their own awareness and deep characters. We immediately see this in the opening scene involving two hit men clearly waiting on their target, oblivious to the man in a red mask approaching them from behind, and in turn execute them, moments like this sum up the layers of surprise and edginess of the film, yet also not taking itself seriously. In the midst of Marty writing about psychopaths, or trying to, there is a serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, the same man we meet at the beginning, his calling card being the Jack of Diamonds, he seems like a vigilante. Billy, meanwhile, spends his days kidnapping the dogs of rich people and collecting the reward with the help of Hans (Christopher Walken). He has his own past and own problems with his wife recovering from cancer, but caught in the middle of the wrong dog to kidnap, the one of gangster Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). We are introduced to each psychopath as their stories are revealed, the stories being played out as imaginary or as flashbacks, many being subtle bows to previous Hollywood films that employ the same scenarios, some of the quips seem to poke fun at themselves, but it also brings out quite an interesting and even heartwarming story, Walken in particular bringing a subtle yet effective tone to his role, some of this seems improvised, which is definitely a good thing.
    The scenes with the three leads of Farrell, Rockwell and Walken, seamlessly combine silliness with brilliance as they attempt to come up with the ending for the film, but each time the film seems to go one way, it definitely can go other to surprise us, it has comedy, cruelty and camaraderie rolled into one well scripted package, which makes for a film that has the brass and talent to back itself up.
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Not funny or really interesting. I honestly fail to see what the point of this movie is. It just seems to be violent for the sake of being violent. I started off interested in the movie even though it was dull, but after a while I just stopped caring. The cast gives a great performance but the writing falls flat. It's kind of a dud and I don't recommend it. There are better ways to spend your time. Expand
  17. Oct 2, 2013
    Good actors, good picture, good violence, terrible screenplay that makes all the rest worthless.
    And to compare this to any of Tarantino movies is just a crime, it means someone does´t get Tarantino at all. Tarantino doesn´t make B-movies with good actors, he makes parodies of B-movies with good actors and inteligent screenplays. This one is just a bad puffed up B-movie. I still can´t
    believe I lost 110 minutes of my life watching this. If you're over 16, dont waste your time... Expand
  18. Aug 28, 2013
    Surprisingly interesting. Though it droned on for some time. I liked the people, though. Sam Rockwell being the breakout in that movie. His unpredictable character sets the main story for it's start. If I were to see it again it would be because of him.
  19. Aug 18, 2013
    I laughed once. It was when Farrell's character proposes that the rest of his movie would just be the psychopaths talking to each other and then his friend replies "WTF, We're making French movies now?". I laughed because I'm French and it is how I feel about most of my country's movies. The rest just... sucked, really really sucked. Is it my sense of humor? Or do I lack the cultural background to enjoy this comedy? The later seems unlikely since I've been in North America for over a year. Either way I didn't find this movie funny, in any way. Expand
  20. Jul 12, 2013
    Like traditional Martin McDonagh fare, it may not be as comedic as its trailers and TV spots suggest, but that in no way means it is a bad film. "Seven Psychopaths" is a richly dramedic trip with frighteningly irresistible characters and a healthy amount of powerful thematic elements.
  21. Jun 28, 2013
    Great, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacing faltered once or twice. A negligible criticism to an otherwise stellar production. Expand
  22. Apr 5, 2013
    A smarter movie than many would give it credit. The second half got even better. Felt surreal and non serious at times though, so I was at a loss about whether to take it seriously or not. The ending, which I won't spoil here, got under my skin. The acting was quite sufficient. Rockwell should have gotten some recognition for his portrayal of Billy. The movie should have been nominated for Original Screenplay at least. Expand
  23. Mar 21, 2013
    I really could not see all this clever or funny sparks people talk about.
    What movies have you been watching lately? This film had lots of money and great names but no ideas, far fetched black humour and contrived demented dialogues. It has to be really hard to protract a movie for almost 2 hours with such an utterly pointless plot.
    Hollywood over-produced nonsense at its best.
  24. Mar 21, 2013
    IGNORE BAD REVIEWS! Yes there's no doubt any movie loving person has high hopes for this film pre watching but it delivers in a striking fashion. Whether it's laughs or sick revolting violence you crave SP delivers at every turn. The plot may be riddled with certain cliches but never the less the story hooks you and evokes every passion from the viewer from painful laughs to shocks that result in goosebumps to holding in tears. Every character's profile is revealed in a fascinating fashion and in fact (while not going crazy) the plot and humor is similar to The Big Lebowski!!! Expand
  25. Mar 18, 2013
    One of the most interesting films of 2012. Great script. Bizarre and full of hilarious and awkward moments. An amazing cast. Everybody is great in the film, Walken being probably the standout. Although my preferences are in Colin Farrel. He is a really great actor and in this film he does what I like the most from him: playing sensible and vulnerable. Love that every character on the film loves dogs. It´s definitely different and so much needed in this world dominated by brainless masses. At some points it drags a little bit and that is why I am not giving it a 8 or a 9. Expand
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    For 2/3 of the movie, this was very entertaining with great performances from the whole cast. Then, for whatever reason, the movie falls apart at the end. Very disappointing.
  27. Mar 10, 2013
    This film was cool. Sam Rockwell is the stand out performance, but Farrell, Harrelson, and Walken give good performances as well. Martin McDonagh shows that In Bruges wasn't a fluke.
  28. BKM
    Mar 4, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths is a lot of fun, even if it is decidedly incoherent and pointless. The entire cast has a blast riffing ton crime film cliches and winking self referentially at the proceedings. Bonus points for the inclusion of Tom Waits who deserves his very own psychopath movie.
  29. Mar 3, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths was a very interesting movie and truly unique. The cast was absolutely fantastic. Colin Farrell is a very underrated actor but Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson really made this movie worth watching. Rockwell was hilarious. The movie did drag quite so that's the main reason for the lower rating. I don't think this is a film everyone will enjoy, however. There's a substantial amount of vulgarity and violence so some people will certainly be put off by that. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    Another film that I had so much hope for but ultimately tries 2 hard and fails in many areas. They did a magnificent job casting an all-star cast but that's unfortunately the best part of the movie. The movie starts with a halfway interesting story that falls apart about an hour into the film. If you're looking for a witty action movie with an all-star cast then watch something else because there isn't a shred of intelligence and it's pacing is 2 slow to be called an action movie. If you have a brain then you already know how the movie is going to end and you're just sitting through the last boring hour to see what you know will happen. Don't believe the hype and rent this movie if you're curious before you buy. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Enormously entertaining, endlessly quotable, perfectly cast and packed full of the richest acting you'll see from an ensemble cast all year, but the result is ever so slightly hollow.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Engagingly off-centre, like Charlie Kaufman taking down Quentin Tarantino, this sunbaked shaggy-dog story is a place-holder film for McDonagh, and often closer to chaos than it is to genius.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is the kind of movie that can lift someone who's had a crappy day out of a funk. It's an unstable mess filled with lunatic invention and bizarre nonsense, and some of it is so spontaneous that it's elating. [22 Oct. 2012, p.88]