Seven Psychopaths

6.7

1. Oct 20, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths had a clever premise, and then weaved a story within a story that was a lot of fun. Great cast, fun premise, and while gory, the gore is done in a comedic way, so it does not gross one out.
  2. Oct 15, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is one of the most interesting and funny movies of this year. The development of the movie is really smart, all the movie have funny scenes. The performances of the cast, wow are awesome. The screenplay is interesting. Seven Psychopaths is one of the most funny movies of this year.
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie can get very weird at parts, but all in all a very good movie. The film kept me very entertained throughout. Oh and one more thing. Sam Rockwell is a freakin genius!
  4. Oct 25, 2012
    The title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks andThe title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks and the arguments of a poststructuralist. If you think there are humorous possibilities in this, you'll like the film. If not, not. I liked it a lot (all the actors are in the know and in the vein), but it is a bit too long. Imagine Woody Allen remaking The Asphalt Jungle, and you've got it. Expand
  5. Oct 20, 2012
    Having seen and loved "In Bruges" Seven Psychopaths was one of my most anticipated movies. I'm happy to say its everything I had hoped for and more. From the opening, this movie kicks off with a great start having a very Tarantino style beginning. With such an original and great screenplay you can't go wrong. We than get introduce to our seven psychopaths. The performances are great,Having seen and loved "In Bruges" Seven Psychopaths was one of my most anticipated movies. I'm happy to say its everything I had hoped for and more. From the opening, this movie kicks off with a great start having a very Tarantino style beginning. With such an original and great screenplay you can't go wrong. We than get introduce to our seven psychopaths. The performances are great, Colin Farrell should stick to these small roles, more specifically comedic roles, before I saw In Bruges I disliked him as an actor none of his movies appealed to me. He works so well as the lead protagonist in this role. This is probably one of , if not the best Sam Rockwell performances. He has played this crazy character before but its more effective in this particular role. He is unpredictable, the funniest and the best psychopath of them all with out a doubt the star of this movie. Christopher Walken is at his best. If you just enjoy him in any role, you will love him in this. He plays the calm and wise religious man but very hysterical at times another scene stealing performance. Woody Harrelson is the enraged mob boss who will literally stop at nothing until he gets his little Sh-ih Tzu back. Tom Waits plays probably the most psychotic of them all. Everyone works fantastically well in this movie. I have not a single bad thing to say about them. The woman in the cast though, are basically eye candy. Martin McDonagh is one of the best up an coming Writer/Director. If he keeps this up one day he may be considered among the best script writers of our time. This movie does have elements of Pulp Fiction where everyone is just having random conversations that sometimes end up with people dying horrifically. Yes, there are multitudes of gore involved in the death scenes. Everything is so unpredictable with plenty of laughs and flawlessly made from both behind and in front of the camera. Seven Psychopaths is another "best of the year" and the funniest film I've seen so far in the year. Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    Great movie in every way. Charlie Kaufman meets Terintino. It is a great combination of clever plot lines, great characters, and cartoon violence to keep you laughing on the edge if your seat.
  7. Nov 26, 2012
    I got a kick out of this movie! Very well-scripted, and I never could guess what was going to happen next. This movie left me with a deep sense of satisfaction, plot points that opened in the beginning found the perfect closure in the movie's climax. Martin McDonagh's generous gift to movie audiences this fall, sealed together with a pretty bow.
  8. Dec 1, 2012
    I think this movie will be one of my guiltly pleasures from now on. It's suble dark comedy can reach almost any audience member, unless they have no sense of humor. The characters are well developed in their own unique way. This movie really comes together at the end and gives us a look into the unexpected Hollywood format. Altogether this movie is a fun viewing!
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    This picture is nothing i have watched before. This movie entertains on many levels. It asks the question about whats normal and whats not. Who are the normal people who say this man is a psychopath and this man is not? Why does the audience like movies about psychopaths at all? Do we really think they are more interesting than the people we see on the street? Are we so thirsty to seeThis picture is nothing i have watched before. This movie entertains on many levels. It asks the question about whats normal and whats not. Who are the normal people who say this man is a psychopath and this man is not? Why does the audience like movies about psychopaths at all? Do we really think they are more interesting than the people we see on the street? Are we so thirsty to see violence? Is our life so boring, that we have to see people being brutally killed? This movie shows the psychopath in your self. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2012
    What an unexpected treat! Very unconventional, off-beat, hilarious. The performances are top notch and just fun to watch. (Christopher Walken is the man! And Sam Rockwell just kills it in this movie.) Actually, it's my favorite movie of the year so far.
  11. Oct 17, 2012
    I don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, ifI don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, if you love violent comedies then you'll love Seven Psychopaths, enough said. This is a must see. 10/10 Expand
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    What a crazy fun ride Martin McDonaugh's Seven Psychopaths is. The originality and creativity of it put a smile on my face that never left for 110 minutes.
  13. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim theStoryline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim the reward end up with Charlie's dog, and Charlie really loves this dog, so now they are in serious trouble. There are a superb bunch of characters in this movie that keep us very interested throughout.

Acting: I'm not really a Sam Rockwell fan but I've always loved his performance in 'The Green Mile' and in this he is awsome at playing the complex Billy. He is actually better in this than Bradley Cooper is in 'Silver Linings Playbook' but Bradley gets the Oscar nod. Colin Farrell was really good and played his scenes with a very similar delivery as with 'In Bruges' but this is not a bad thing because it is a Martin McDonagh film. Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken were also good but they never had to do anything out of the ordinary so while they were great we have seen them do this stuff before. The 4 woman in this, Abbie Cornish, Gabourey Sidibe, Helena Mattsson and Olga Kurylenko are all good actors and I've seen a lot of thier work so even though they aren't on screen much when they are you won't forget it. It was a nice touch using well known actors in small roles especially Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Pitt at the start of the movie.

Direction: Martin McDonagh wrote and directed this with his wicked sense of humour which I think is amazing. I enjoy his style and hope he never strays too far from it. He's had 2 out of 2 so far. Production: Martin McDonagh made this for $15 million which is the same money as 'In Bruges' but an even better cast. This was a sleek operation with decent special fx and make-up, sets, music and the script was the best thing in the movie. It was snappy, funny and inteligent. 15 mil for this cast and a killer of a script is pretty awsome if you ask me. Conclusion: This film was not perfect but I loved it can't wait for Martin McDonagh to bring out a new one. A funny and violent flik with the cast all using thier own accents (which helped).

Score: 8.5/10
  14. Jan 31, 2013
    An unexpected delight! Loved the writing and the performances are top notch! Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell are standouts, Ends up being one of my favorite films of 2012!
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    This was a sublimely clever, seriously funny movie. It manages to poke fun at violent movies, racism, sexism, religion, love, pet ownership, and more!! At the end, just when it makes you wonder whether it means to be philosophical or profound, it makes fun of the viewer for expecting a neatly wrapped-up ending. Keep watching as the credits roll! However, if you have a short attentionThis was a sublimely clever, seriously funny movie. It manages to poke fun at violent movies, racism, sexism, religion, love, pet ownership, and more!! At the end, just when it makes you wonder whether it means to be philosophical or profound, it makes fun of the viewer for expecting a neatly wrapped-up ending. Keep watching as the credits roll! However, if you have a short attention span or dislike black humor, you will hate this film. Expand
  16. Jun 4, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many thingsSeven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many things this movie got right. Expand
  17. BKM
    Mar 4, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths is a lot of fun, even if it is decidedly incoherent and pointless. The entire cast has a blast riffing ton crime film cliches and winking self referentially at the proceedings. Bonus points for the inclusion of Tom Waits who deserves his very own psychopath movie.
  18. Mar 21, 2013
    IGNORE BAD REVIEWS! Yes there's no doubt any movie loving person has high hopes for this film pre watching but it delivers in a striking fashion. Whether it's laughs or sick revolting violence you crave SP delivers at every turn. The plot may be riddled with certain cliches but never the less the story hooks you and evokes every passion from the viewer from painful laughs to shocks thatIGNORE BAD REVIEWS! Yes there's no doubt any movie loving person has high hopes for this film pre watching but it delivers in a striking fashion. Whether it's laughs or sick revolting violence you crave SP delivers at every turn. The plot may be riddled with certain cliches but never the less the story hooks you and evokes every passion from the viewer from painful laughs to shocks that result in goosebumps to holding in tears. Every character's profile is revealed in a fascinating fashion and in fact (while not going crazy) the plot and humor is similar to The Big Lebowski!!! Expand
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    “A person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behaviour.” That’s the definition of the word of psychopath from Oxford Dictionary. Thiz movie comes from the Directors of “In Bruges” (2008) Martin McDonagh. McDonagh is the kind of Director who can make an effective black comedy with roller coaster storyline and interesting characters. He also shows“A person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behaviour.” That’s the definition of the word of psychopath from Oxford Dictionary. Thiz movie comes from the Directors of “In Bruges” (2008) Martin McDonagh. McDonagh is the kind of Director who can make an effective black comedy with roller coaster storyline and interesting characters. He also shows promising signs of becoming one of the cult movie Directors. The story revolves around a psychopathic screenwriter (Colin Farrell) whose seemingly nice girlfriend is a psychopath (Abbie Cornish), makes friends with a psychopathic dog kidnapper (Sam Rockwell) and his psychopathic assistant (Christopher Walken) who unfortunately stole a shih tzu which belongs to a psychopathic gangster (Woody Harrelson) whose unfaithful girlfriend is also a psychopath (Olga Kurylenko). Meanwhile it’s also about a mysterious psychopath (Tom Waits) who carries a white bunny all the time. Well, I just used the word “psychopath” so many times. If you feel confused, it may be true. The first 30 minutes of the movie will probably make you confused. If you feel it’s kind of weird, yes, the movie is very weird and comedic as well. The dialogue is interesting and alive. Everything just flows to the right direction. And I almost feel like there is a time when thiz movie criticizes itself. The three main characters are amazing. Let’s start with Colin Farrell. Farrell depicts an alcoholic screenwriter who looks like a peace lover but sometimes looks more like a coward in many situations. It’s great to see Colin Farrell can bring a different kind of character. And the next one is Sam Rockwell who rocks pretty well. Rockwell’s character is the one who sets fire in thiz field of gasoline. He looks confident and believable. People can hate his character but surely will love his performance. Personally, Sam Rockwell’s performance is the best performance in thiz movie. Last but not least, it’s Christopher Walken. Walken goes back to his roots, bringing an eccentric character, it simply reminds me what he is good at, just like the old times when he triumphed in “True Romance” (1993), “Last Man Standing” (1996) or “Kill the Irishman” (2011). Thiz movie just made me realize that all thiz time, most of my favorite movies has psychopathic characters in them, such as “Pulp Fiction” (1994), “Fight Club” (1999), “Trainspotting” (1996), “True Romance” (1993), “Natural Born Killers” (1994) and many more. Just because we like movies about psychopaths doesn’t mean we are also psychopaths, right? Or are we?

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  20. Nov 16, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths delivers weird but fun experience. It was remind me bit experience when was watching Cabin In The Woods. Movie writing at its best? You can name it but it wasn't really work to me.
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    This movie was unlike any movie that fit into this genre I've seen before. Didn't really have any idea what happens next. Colin Farrell was brilliant. Walken will never get old. Another excellent job from Rockwell as well! Also good to see Harrelson back in front of the camera again. Of course, let's not forget about Tom Waits, you could put him in a movie with a piece of and he wouldThis movie was unlike any movie that fit into this genre I've seen before. Didn't really have any idea what happens next. Colin Farrell was brilliant. Walken will never get old. Another excellent job from Rockwell as well! Also good to see Harrelson back in front of the camera again. Of course, let's not forget about Tom Waits, you could put him in a movie with a piece of and he would turn it into acting gold! Expand
  22. Nov 1, 2013
    Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write,Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write, he has the title at the top of the page, the same as the real film, but not much else. He ends up getting quite a bit more than he bargained for when is loose cannon of a friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), decides to put an ad in the paper reaching out for actual psychopaths, its dry and believable approach can only come from the man behind ‘In Bruges’ and ‘The Guard’, Martin McDonagh makes films that are soaked in their own awareness and deep characters. We immediately see this in the opening scene involving two hit men clearly waiting on their target, oblivious to the man in a red mask approaching them from behind, and in turn execute them, moments like this sum up the layers of surprise and edginess of the film, yet also not taking itself seriously. In the midst of Marty writing about psychopaths, or trying to, there is a serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, the same man we meet at the beginning, his calling card being the Jack of Diamonds, he seems like a vigilante. Billy, meanwhile, spends his days kidnapping the dogs of rich people and collecting the reward with the help of Hans (Christopher Walken). He has his own past and own problems with his wife recovering from cancer, but caught in the middle of the wrong dog to kidnap, the one of gangster Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). We are introduced to each psychopath as their stories are revealed, the stories being played out as imaginary or as flashbacks, many being subtle bows to previous Hollywood films that employ the same scenarios, some of the quips seem to poke fun at themselves, but it also brings out quite an interesting and even heartwarming story, Walken in particular bringing a subtle yet effective tone to his role, some of this seems improvised, which is definitely a good thing.
    The scenes with the three leads of Farrell, Rockwell and Walken, seamlessly combine silliness with brilliance as they attempt to come up with the ending for the film, but each time the film seems to go one way, it definitely can go other to surprise us, it has comedy, cruelty and camaraderie rolled into one well scripted package, which makes for a film that has the brass and talent to back itself up.
  23. Jun 28, 2013
    Great, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacingGreat, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacing faltered once or twice. A negligible criticism to an otherwise stellar production. Expand
  24. Mar 3, 2013
    Seven Psychopaths was a very interesting movie and truly unique. The cast was absolutely fantastic. Colin Farrell is a very underrated actor but Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson really made this movie worth watching. Rockwell was hilarious. The movie did drag quite so that's the main reason for the lower rating. I don't think this is a film everyone will enjoy,Seven Psychopaths was a very interesting movie and truly unique. The cast was absolutely fantastic. Colin Farrell is a very underrated actor but Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson really made this movie worth watching. Rockwell was hilarious. The movie did drag quite so that's the main reason for the lower rating. I don't think this is a film everyone will enjoy, however. There's a substantial amount of vulgarity and violence so some people will certainly be put off by that. Expand
  25. Sep 4, 2014
    Another exciting turn for Martin McDonagh.... and yes, this one has it all. Near constant bombastic violence and plenty of laughs. Seven Psychopaths is a movie for writers and you'll see why.
  26. Jan 11, 2013
    Seven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The actingSeven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The acting in this movie is great, Sam Rockwell was very funny and the only scene starring Gabourey Sidibe is amazing. The script is one of the most original and funny things in 2012. Seven Psychopaths is a truly entertaining and smart film. Collapse
  27. Feb 11, 2013
    even after reading the reviews about this movie I still really didn't know what to expect. As it is hard to describe, and thus a hard screen play to write (I would guess). An alcoholic writer is trying to write a movie about 7 psychopaths, but doesn't have all the characters. He eventually learns some of his closest friends are psychopaths and uses them and others but yet the movie tumbleseven after reading the reviews about this movie I still really didn't know what to expect. As it is hard to describe, and thus a hard screen play to write (I would guess). An alcoholic writer is trying to write a movie about 7 psychopaths, but doesn't have all the characters. He eventually learns some of his closest friends are psychopaths and uses them and others but yet the movie tumbles into what the alcoholic writer is writing. Does that make sense....no. I know, but worth a watch I think. The plot a bit meandering but bouts of humor to offset that. Walken is classic and even Colin Ferrel is tolerable. Expand
  28. Dec 21, 2013
    Very funny and also very violent. If you like dark humor then you will like this film. The entire cast is perfect and it was very original. It wasn't perfect but all and all it was a good film.
  29. Jul 18, 2014
    Overall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances fromOverall, this one struck me as very Quentin Tarantino-esque in its stylish and almost cartoony violence and in the way it was written. The characters are great, the comedy is dark, but hilarious, and the dog is fantastic. Like, my love for shih tzus is confirmed, this dog was absolutely adorable. It really stole the show for me and that is saying something given the great performances from an unhinged Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, and Woody Harrelson. This one was not what I expected in the least and the way it was very much about the writing of this film (a la Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation") was pretty odd and unique. The self-referential stuff does get a bit tiresome towards the end, but the film remains a blast to watch thanks to its writing and acting. Overall, much of this one is clicking, but as I said, the self-referential stuff gets tiring and it kind of takes you out of this one by the end, but even then, it is a solid flick that is certainly worth a watch. In terms of Martin McDonagh, I preferred "In Bruges", but this one is a worthy follow-up and I look forward to whatever he comes up with next. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Enormously entertaining, endlessly quotable, perfectly cast and packed full of the richest acting you'll see from an ensemble cast all year, but the result is ever so slightly hollow.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Engagingly off-centre, like Charlie Kaufman taking down Quentin Tarantino, this sunbaked shaggy-dog story is a place-holder film for McDonagh, and often closer to chaos than it is to genius.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is the kind of movie that can lift someone who's had a crappy day out of a funk. It's an unstable mess filled with lunatic invention and bizarre nonsense, and some of it is so spontaneous that it's elating. [22 Oct. 2012, p.88]