9.1

1. May 3, 2014
    WIthout doubt, the greatest action film of all time which has since set the bar for all other subsequent action films. Kurosawa, in the space of five years has now made three of the greatest films of all time (Rashomon and Ikiru)
  2. Apr 1, 2014
    what a movie is this ...only one world great great great .....movie from 1954 and now 2014 still it is the best action movie i think . this movie give idea about action ....and represent japanese culture ...best foreign movie of all time ...... one of my all time favorite movie ....
  3. Aug 18, 2013
    Quite simply the finest film ever made. Plenty of influence taken from the West, and plenty of what might feel like ham-handed acting and dialog by today's mainstream audiences, but it remains one of the most incredible pieces of art in the last century. Nearly every great story theme is in there, and is so layered that it bears repeated watching with no diminishing returns. A masterpiece.
  4. Aug 3, 2013
    Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is the very apex of cinema. It tells a complete and full story, rich with striking action and compassionate humanity. It literally is the three-and-a-half hour epic so many filmmakers have tried and failed to produce.
  5. Apr 27, 2013
    The fact that any one can possibly find anything wrong with Seven Samurai is just bewildering. This is a classic example of truly deep cinema that will never be able to be recreated. Simply breathtaking from the performances to the sets, everything is outstanding. Kurosawa was famous for being a perfectionist when it came to his sets and it shines through here. The villages look incredible and everything looks perfect, including the costumes. The action is without par and extremely realistic, which adds to the sense of realism and drama unfolding before us. A perfect film. Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    The only Kurosawa I saw and might be the only one I need. This is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. The dynamic between the characters is beautifully done. I still can't get around the fact that Kurosawa wrote each of the characters background just for this movie. What a commitment!
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    This was my first Kurosawa film and I was not disappointed. I am not one to talk about film length very often, I think a film should be however long it takes the director to tell the story. I will admit however when I fired up Seven Samurai on Hulu and 3:46 appeared at the bottom I was very worried. Making it through a 1954 foreign language action film of this length did not seem like something i was ready for. Kurosawa however doesn't waste a scene in this film even if many scenes are a little more on the nose than I would prefer.

My problems with the film are the same problems that I have with a lot of classic films. All of our characters are one dimensional which makes them fairly predictable. We know what purpose they will serve in the plot almost from the moment we meet them, to the point where we can predict which characters are probable to live and which will likely die.

I also have an issue with the portrayal of the peasants in this film. The peasants are the center of our story and are treated with disdain by all of the characters around them. While this is understandable in the context of the film, I felt throughout that Kurosawa treated them the same way. Every peasant, except possibly one, in this film is treated like a fearful moron. Often they are seen running around aimlessly babbling incoherently to each other. When they do engage our heroes in conversation they have nothing to add to the process that is transpiring. There is no better evidence of this than in one of our seven heroes. As soon as we meet this character we know he will be a part of our group, yet he is always treated like a punch line. He is treated like that by the other characters because he is written like that by our story teller. In one of the plot twists midway through the film it is revealed he is a peasant. This comes as no surprise because of the seven samurai he is the most peasant like. Each character must fit into a stereotype. What engaged me in this film is the glimpse into the culture as well as the cinematography. For a movie made in 1954 it looks amazing. We are transported into this world through the landscapes, through the poverty that is portrayed visually, and through the way the characters interact with one another. Kurosawa also does a fantastic job with the action in this film. In a movie that the plot revolves entirely around a village protecting itself it would have been easy to just piece action scene after action scene together. Kurosawa never does this, the action is always handled in a very intelligent way. Giving us just what we need to get the next part of the story.

Overall I enjoyed this film quite a bit, and am looking forward to seeing more of Kurosawa's work. I am reluctant to give classic films like this star ratings, as they rarely engage me the way they need to emotionally to warrant consideration in my favorites, or multiple viewings. This film reminds me of Citizen Kane in that I respect it more than I love it, and will probably reference it more than I will watch it.
  8. Jan 21, 2013
    This is by far the greatest movie that I had the pleasure to view, my only regret is not knowing Japanese. I can not describe how good this movie is just know that it is at least 3 times as good as there will be blood and 4 times as good as once upon a time in the west.
  9. Aug 24, 2012
    an amazing master piece of art !, one of the best movies ive seen in my life, i pick this movie a few months ago, and i thought it will be a good movie, but its totally incredible experience, comedy, drama, action, this movie has everything, i cant believe a person combined everything in a movie, the 3 hours totally worth
  10. Aug 20, 2012
    There is a nuanced feeling between a new release could score an 8/10 (say THE DARK KINGHT RISE 2012) and a classic acquire the same rank, (but if divided more precisely, which I feel compulsory to do but in lack of a potential spur to re-set my entire rating system. TDKR is around 7.8-8.2 while SEVEN SAMURAI is surely wavering around 8.2-8.5). SEVEN SAMURAI, an esteemed masterpiece from the reasonably most eminent auteur, Akira Kurosawa, not only from Japan, but the wholesale film history as well, why my belated first-viewing has a tad underwhelming collision, notably juxtaposed with another Akira Expand
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    I wonder what is must have been like to watch this film back in the 50's. We marvel at modern tech and the advanced cinematography but when you take all that away, strip it from current movies, you have very little left to marvel at. This movie needs no wizardry, it wins with a perfection that most modern day directors could never achieve even with an unlimited budget...you can't buy a movie this good...it just happens. Expand
  12. Jun 27, 2012
    I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be allowed to score a movie as 0, simply because "0" represents non-existence; a movie should be scored at least as 1, at least for its existence. Therefore I'm pretty convinced that the few people that scored this movie as "0", are reflecting their own "0" score of cinema knowledge or they're sentencing their own IQ. I'm kidding, at least they deserve 1 for being able to write something, well, 2 for constructing an idea... ok, 3 for appreciating "Raiders of the Lost Ark"... by the way! Do they know that Spielberg and Lucas were deeply deeply influenced by Akira Kurosawa's "7 Samurai"? Will they ever be able to realize that "Star Wars" and the Jedi concept were inspired on Japan's samurai culture and also on this movie? Sabre, lightsaber, no? Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    Yawn. Tasted like a B Movie. I tried watching it in a few languages that I understand and still it was quite boring. As each scene cuts into the next scene - I would say the development of the characters is fair at best. The story is below average. The Acting is just barely above average.
  14. May 8, 2012
    This movie is the reason star wars exists so of course it's a 10 out of 10. For 3 hrs plus I was a little worried the movie would go dull or wonder off a bit.. But The seven-samurai stays on point the whole movie. I wish people could still make movies this good.
  15. May 8, 2012
    This is one of the best movies of all time, and it will be for ever. A great movie with a great history and characters. I really dont believe how someone can negativate this movie. It's a shame to know that people like that exist.
  16. Apr 21, 2012
    I love the authenticity and realism of this movie. It might be a tad long compared to today's standard but there is no wasted scene. I love the characterizations and the stories of each of the seven samurai.
  17. Sep 18, 2011
    "The Seven Samurai" is one of the best movies ever made. It's emotionally resonating, majestic, virtuous, and action-packed. It's 3 hours and 26 minutes of foreign entertainment that never, even for a second, feels like you're reading words in a book as you look at the subtitles.
  18. Jun 30, 2011
    My favorite movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Apr 28, 2011
    I agree completely with ReviewerBanana, how does this movie top the classics like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Die Hard, where the acting is at least ten times as better? The soundtrack for this movie is also pretty flimsy at that, whereas films like Die Hard had a strong, robust soundtrack. I'm sorry, but this movie is far from something i would call the greatest action movie ever, it just goes to show how god damn skewed metacritic ratings are. Expand
  20. Apr 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Una película maravillosa en todos los aspectos de la producción, basada en una historia con un arco dramático extraordinario y personajes atractivos, bellamente interpretados. Perfecta. Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2011
    Its pretty hilarious that people unanimously pretend to like this movie. It may have been amazing almost 60 years ago but today its kind of like watching a play; its not much fun and you realize how bad entertainment must have been back then for people to have enjoyed it. This movie made sense in 1954 japan like Islam made sense in 6th century arabia; understandable people were into it at the time, but today its just a work of fiction composed by a borderline retarded person. This movie makes Bio-Dome look like a magnum opus of cinema, in fact Pauley Shore would have really improved the Seven Samurai, add in a Baldwin and it might be watchable by a non-pretentious non-film student viewer. Expand
  22. Dec 31, 2010
    If there is one film by which Kurosawa is recognized by, it is Seven Samurai, and it rightly deserves its place! One of the richest works to ever be committed to celluloid, each of its characters is extraordinarily realized; each has his or her own arc, his or her own vital part to play in the filmâ

Rich in detail, vivid in characterization, leisurely in exposition, this 207-minute epic is bravura filmmaking -- a brilliant yet facile synthesis of Hollywood pictorialism, Soviet montage, and Japanese theatricality that could be a B western transposed to Mars.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Moves like hot mercury, and it draws a viewer so thoroughly into its world that real life can seem thick and dull when the lights come up.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Much imitated, still unsurpassed. By critical consensus one of the best movies ever made, The Seven Samurai covers so much emotional, historical, and cinematic ground that that it demands to be viewed over and over again.