Shadow Dancer

6.8

1. Lyn
    Mar 22, 2014
    We've seen terrorism as intrigue, as compulsion, as revenge, as religious devotion -- but this movie gives us terrorism as drudgery. The IRA family just seems to go through the motions, not because they're passionate about a cause, but because since a death in the family years ago, that's what they've always done. Clive Owen is, as always, riveting. But there's no real spark of connectionWe've seen terrorism as intrigue, as compulsion, as revenge, as religious devotion -- but this movie gives us terrorism as drudgery. The IRA family just seems to go through the motions, not because they're passionate about a cause, but because since a death in the family years ago, that's what they've always done. Clive Owen is, as always, riveting. But there's no real spark of connection between him and the lead actress, who simply cannot convey enough information or emotion through her perpetually wrinkled brow. Whispered and mumbled dialogue is hard to catch at times and that doesn't help. Expand
  2. May 31, 2013
    Underwhelming British political thriller of the type that used to be fairly common in the 80's and 90's. The audience suffers along with the excellent Andrea Riseborough, but the script is muddled and everything moves at a funereal pace. It also contains some of the worst cinematography that I have seen in quite some time.
  3. Jul 22, 2013
    Clive is, undoubtedly, a star, and only for his sake I give it a five, the rest is just boring, and if only, half the movie I couldn't understand much what was said, partly they whispered, a lot of old fashioned slang, I am now finished with it and left bewildered, no idea what I just watched

1. Reviewed by: Mary Houlihan
    Jun 20, 2013
    This is not an in-your-face thriller but rather a measured film ripe with suspense that never lets up.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Jun 13, 2013
    These are characters for whom true belief in a cause has probably become impossible; they know how much that costs. Marsh does a compelling job of illustrating that for the rest of us.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jun 6, 2013
    This low-key and engrossing Belfast-based drama is as much a well-acted character study as it is a thriller about the conflict in Northern Ireland.