8.5

1. Sep 28, 2011
  2. Dec 21, 2011
    Shrek is charming, original, beautiful and one of the funniest films I have seen on my life. And not only is it good it is great because it has so much heart. I give this movie 92%.
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    Heart -warming, endearing and charming. A perennial classic, that has produced 3 equally good sequels. Deriving from a vast number of fairy tales, Shrek is an animation for the whole family, with its wit and satire that is both spellbinding and humorous. The characters have inimitable personalities, to their fairytale counterparts. Donkey played by Eddie Murphy is easily defined as the break out character, with his vivacious and gregarious attitude and his memorable lines. The only Dreamworks' movie superior to Pixar 10/10 Expand
  4. Sep 5, 2011
    Dreamworks Animation is very inferior to Disney's famous CGI company Pixar. Every single movie those two companies made were great and I loved every single one of them except Dreamworks's huge disappointments like "Shark Tale" and "Bee Movie" even though they weren't the worst movies ever made. By far, my favorite Dreamworks Animated movie is none other than "Shrek" loosely based on the book by William Steig. It tells the story about Shrek, a peace loving ogre who is desperate to save his swamp (along with help from a talkative donkey named, well, Donkey) that has been taken over by the fairy tale creatures sent by Lord Farquaad. He makes a deal that if Shrek rescues Princess Fiona, he'll give him his swamp back. I can't spoil the rest only to those who haven't seen it.

Everything about this movie is magnificent. The story was very original due to Dreamworks's earlier entries. The characters were great/funny. Donkey was by far the most hilarious fairy tale character I have ever seen and Shrek had a couple of funny lines. The voice acting for the characters were absolutely perfect and they gave their successful talents for this movie. The computer animation is stunningly amazing with very rich colorful backgrounds and striking visuals. The pop culture jokes were very funny I loved every single one of them. The music from Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell was beautiful with some very emotional melodies including the song "It Is You I Have Loved" sung by Dana Glover was lovely.

Shrek is Dreamworks Animation's strongest animated adventure comedy which was intended for its younger audiences and it is suitable for kids ages +8-12. A solid thumbs from me :)
  5. May 24, 2012
    It is a good movie but it falls flat when it comes to jokes and the humor, they are very ridiculous and corny. But I do love the graphics and the overall animation. The plot was just good. The characters' voices are good. Most of it was good but not great....
  6. Oct 11, 2010
    The kids market is often helped by an adult gag or two and Shrek is no different. Inside jokes for the parents, outside jokes for the kids it's a good 90 minutes of family fun. Superb animation and voice-overs make it a dreamworks classic. When you are down, watch Shrek, you'll be smiling again in no time.
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    Borrowing heavily from Disney and classic fairytales, Shrek qualifies as one of the funniest animated comedies to date. Pros: Greatly animated; hilarious characters, dialog, and pop culture references; unforgettable voice acting; heartwarming; what animated comedies should be made of. Cons: May seem a tad bit filthy to some parents; unfortunately, it influenced the hundreds of Shrek-wannabes your kiddies crave. Expand
  8. May 31, 2011
    IT WAS GREAT AND ORIGINAL it was wonderful and funny. it was genius. its a winner for sure. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 out of 10.
  9. Oct 18, 2011
    Shrek is a great adventure its funny and a great movie for you and your kids. Just watch out you never know whats gonna happen. I loved it I would give it a 9/10
  10. Dec 12, 2011
    Probably one of the best animated films you will see in your life. Shrek has everything going for it - Solid voice acting by a highly experianced cast, A funny story, and an interesting film that was worth sitting through. Shrek is good.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    Impossible to not love this movie, this is one of the best movies Dreamworks has ever produced.
    I am not going to waste your time saying anything else, just go and watch it, NOW
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    While Shrek may not make laugh anymore still has lots of things to keep my interest. I like the characters and their relationship. The film starizes fairy tales, Disney films in particular, taking a story that has been done to death and doing something new with it. Top that off with some nice animation and music and you have a strong film. If you have not seen this film yet check it out all the stuff I mentioned plus the humor make for enjoyable film that you will be glad you saw. There is a reason why this film spawned three sequels and a spin off. Shrek is one of Dreamworks’ finest.

Final Score: 75/100
  13. Oct 6, 2010
    While I like the movie, I think it's overrated. It wasn't until Shrek 2 that I really became a Shrek fan, becuase I think the first sequel (not Shrek 3) is much, much funnier.
  14. Oct 4, 2010
    Shrek is one of those amazing films which has enough wit and depth to please both a younger and older audience. It was Dreamwork's first big hit, and still remains their best. The animation is stunning, the humour consistent and hilarious and the story highly original. The whole concept of fairytale creatures as one body no longer being accepted in society is very creative. If you add a dragon, a tough ogre, a mad donkey, a karate princess and a very 'short' King to this, you've got the ultimate animated film. 'Shrek' is the ultimate family movie, and is sure to please kids and their parents. Expand
  15. Apr 30, 2011
    The movie was alright. It's funny enough and it's watchable. The best thing was Eddie Murphy who was fantastic in the movie.
  16. Dec 28, 2011
    Even on repeated viewings, Shrek doesn't lose its appeal. It's just as funny, creative and entertaining as it ever was, and though more recent animated films have surpassed it in terms of quality of animation, it still looks good, and you have to wonder whether animation technology would have developed at the rate it has without this film. The voice cast are perfect - Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy as Shrek and Donkey put in their very best comic performances, and make the buddy movie element of the film work, Cameron Diaz's Fiona quite literally kicks the traditional fairytale idea of a damsel in distress in the face, and John Lithgow's Lord Farquaad is a brilliantly pantomime villain. Where Shrek really stands out in in expertise in the fine comedy art of parody. You can quite literally tick off the fairytales and films Shrek affectionately pokes fun at, and the film also has some quite astute things to say about commercialisation, celebrity and the modern media-centric world. Add to this the film's stonking soundtrack and a soft, gooey moral message, and it becomes an extremely fulfilling entertainment extravaganza for all. As fantastic as Shrek is, Andrew Adamson and co. would show the world they'd seen nothing yet in the sequel... Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2011
    It is really overrated, but it is not bad. I liked the animation, and I liked the plot(somewhat). The main thing that I didn't like was the voice acting. Eddie Murphy is one the most annoying people to ever live, and that is very apparent here. Mike Meyers isn't much better, however Cameron Diaz is. I usually get bored with it when watching it, but not always. This is a movie that you have to be in the right mood to see. It is not like other, better animated movies, such as anything by Pixar. It didn't deserve the Oscar for Best Animated Film, Monster's Inc did. As a whole, it is not that funny, and only a few jokes are actually good. Mainly, those jokes don't have much to do with the leads, but with background stuff. See it if you want, but if you don't, you won't miss it. Expand
  18. Dec 24, 2011
    The satyric aspect of the story is one of the reasons why "Shrek" is so refreshing, riveting and loved by so many people. Definitely, it is Dreamworks greatest masterpiece and one of my all time favorite animations.
  19. Nov 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shrek has a great story about friendship and love. Shrek is an ogre who has no friends, due to his appearance, but when a greedy king to be known as Lord Farquaad forces other fairy tale creatures to live in Shrek's swamp, Shrek must go on a quest to rescue Princess Fiona from a castle with a dangerous dragon. Expand
  20. May 2, 2012
    Easily one of the best animated films I have ever seen. The cast is amazing. The movie is hilarious and good from start to finish. It's rare for me to enjoy an animated film as much as I did but this one is definently one of the best I have seen.
  21. Feb 11, 2012
    It is so funny and interesting and it is a piece of a godgest work ! "Shrek" is the best, and the last, masterpiece that Dreamworks animation created. It has a powerful force that appeals greatly to the audience, a power comparable to those of Pixar's.
  22. Jun 9, 2013
    Very funny, lively, and charming. It manages to appeal to a wide range of people, which is why it comes off as one of the better animation movies in the last decade.
  23. Jul 28, 2013
    A great and funny animated film for all ages! You gotta love the story and how it plays with classic children's stories and nursery rhymes. Unique and interesting and an animated classic!
  24. Jan 3, 2013
    This movie is an un-fairytale in that it takes funny cliches and stereotypes from fairytales and pokes fun at them in a humourous way. While I think this film would be enjoyable to children there are many jokes in it that are aimed at an adult audience that grew up in the 70s or 80s. This movie is very charming and entertaining. The voice acting by well-known actors and actresses really brings the characters to life. Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2012
    A motion picture phonomenom Enchantingly irreverrent. An OGER sized adventure
  26. Jan 6, 2014
    Uma das animações mais originais da década de 2000.
  27. Dec 17, 2013
    When it came out, I honestly didn't think too much of it. The character were OK, the story was a little unique yet also a little cliched at the same time. But what really does make the first Shrek movie are the performances. Myers, Murphy, Lithgow and Diaz are just fantastic and really add powerful energy to an otherwise dull film with that's a perhaps a bit too kid friendly for its own good.

Overall:
    Shrek was allot of fun but also a little raw and uninspired. Luckily the cast really save the day and make this movie worth watching to the end.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Animation classic, DreamWorks's biggest hit Shrek! Probably one of the greatest animation's of 21th century yet! The Story is great and the adventure is awesome! You should definitely watch this if you didn't. My score 7/10
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    I enjoyed it, but it was kinda OK. I'm kinda giving it a mixed bag. And yes, you are not going to believe it, but I actually prefer all of the other 3 films over this film, they have better animation (well of course), better jokes and a better plot.
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    This film is the very definition of mediocre.
    it was funny and enjoyable, but Eddie Murphy, the Godsend, wasn't the main source of entertainment, he was blend.
    +the fact that the film was a boring at times.
  31. Jul 4, 2013
    "Shrek" is laugh out loud hilarious, and deals with the odds of his ugly appearance well, and in my opinion a great film. Why not give it a 10, you ask me? Well, here's why.
    "Shrek" involves a wonderful twist in comedy on fairy tales, and does it quite well in a way. The animation is beautiful, and strikes as a nice setting in a fairy tale. "Shrek" does backlash at Disney, and doesn't get
    hurt in the process, as it is truly hilarious to watch. Yet, Shrek's humor and characters do fall a little short after a while, and it is realized that comedy can only take you so far. When comparing "Shrek" to its competitor at the Oscars, "Monsters Inc.", I was really disappointed it won, due to the qualities that "Monsters Inc." posseses that "Shrek" doesn't. While "Monsters Inc." mixes alot of humor, setting, and heart into its storytelling, "Shrek" puts alot of emphasis on humor than setting and heart. Yes, "Shrek" does have the ugly thing going for it, but it's put against to much humor to even tell it. "Shrek" may have been special for an animated film back then, because of its humor, but now, heart is what is really major in storytelling.
    While this review may seem negative, it's not. "Shrek" is hilarious if anything, and you will probably be laughing your socks off from Eddie Murphey's Donkey.
  32. Jul 16, 2013
    It's sure not the best movie of 2001, but back then when I was younger I really liked it. It was funny, and I think DW did a great thing creating this movie.
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    Its satirical elements are straightforward and blunt in a way that gives the film its laughter. Like most great cartoon films, the voice acting is superb [Eddie Murphy], and the dialogue works well with the voices, as does the unconventional dialogue (for a cartoon). Parodied well, unlike most satires, which I can't stand to look at.
  34. Mar 3, 2014
    The Shrek series-- even after all the praise the first one got-- just got worse and worse has time went on. And the first installment wasn't that good to begin with.
  35. Nov 26, 2013
    Shrek is a wonderful, amazing movie fun for the kids and brogres all along. It is a thrilling move filled with fun and action, and Shrek himself is a beautiful and charming man. Infact, I masturbate to him every night. And here it is: the essential plot twist of any detective movie and yes, there is a certain gumshoe element here. Shrek falls in love with the princess he's been ordered to find. But we don't need to get into that too much. What counts in "Shrek" is the sideshow, whether it's the fluid, lifelike visuals or the slightly twisted humor.

While kids can chortle at Farquaad torturing the Gingerbread Man in a protracted, cookie-crumbling scene (The horror, the horror!), grownups can smirk at jokes about Disneyland's character-named parking lots or laugh at the scene when Farquaad consults with the Magic Mirror for wifely candidates. Snow White, says the Mirror, is definitely possible. "Although she lives with seven men," he tells Farquaad, "she's not easy."

The bread and butter of the movie, though, is the back-and-forth among the three main characters as they journey to Farquaad. Myers is inventively funny, as are Murphy, who's doing slightly badder variations on his "Mulan" character, Mushu, and Diaz, who makes a funny, earthy princess. There's a rather lovely romantic element at work, too, which hinges on the princess's closely held secret and a positive message about inner beauty in the bargain. So, we have a movie that appeals to the eye, mind, heart and funny bone; that's a pretty good quadruple for any movie. It's certainly a bright first step for the summer.
  36. Mar 5, 2014
    Very nice with good story, represents true love and friendship, and the animation is super. I would give 9 but i miss excitement and adventure was not much to say, but either way is good and won an Oscar for best animated film, fine by Dreamworks.

1. Desperately avoiding the risk of even a half-second of boredom, the movie is wall-to-window-to-door noise, babbling, and jokes.
    It's wondrous, it's fabulous, it's -- all but unprecedented.
  3. As innocent as a Disney movie -- and a lot more entertaining.