Paramount Pictures | Release Date: February 19, 2010
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 1145 Ratings
WATCH NOW
shiftworkerAug 22, 2016
A complex plot presented in dark, brooding style. It holds your attention, draws you in and then leaves you thinking about it. It's like plain chocoalte and chili: richly textured and surprisingly good. I will return to Shutter Island beforeA complex plot presented in dark, brooding style. It holds your attention, draws you in and then leaves you thinking about it. It's like plain chocoalte and chili: richly textured and surprisingly good. I will return to Shutter Island before too long. Expand
avamiller21Apr 26, 2016
Every detail of the production design is on point for maximum dread and psychic confusion.

Watch this online for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-6a59-Shutter-Island-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
BrandonBonaseraMar 8, 2016
I haven't seen this film since it came out, but I remember it being well directed, beautifully shot and featuring great performances from its cast. I should really re-watch it.
MeritCobaJan 5, 2016
That Shutter island is carried by Leonardo DiCaprio took me a bit by surprise for I never took him as an strong actor. Not because I think him bad, mind you, just that I wouldn't have named him as one of the great actors of our time. I wasThat Shutter island is carried by Leonardo DiCaprio took me a bit by surprise for I never took him as an strong actor. Not because I think him bad, mind you, just that I wouldn't have named him as one of the great actors of our time. I was wrong to think that.

Shutter island is DiCaprio's movie for he is at the center of it. He is supported by a fine cast made up out of people like Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo. Yet this movie, with the script it has, is his movie for it is kind of isolation movie.
It starts out quite innocently with DiCaprio and Ruffalo as two us marshals send to an island that is a mental asylum for insane criminals to investigate the disappearance of one of the prisoners.. The isolation sets in when a spell of bad weather is announced that will cut of the island of from the mainland.

As the investigation gets underway the weather worsens and the plot thickens as the disappearance of the prisoner is linked to happenings in DiCaprio's past. The foul weather, eventually turning into a hurricane, denotes the progress into madness of the story. As DiCaprio digs deeper, dark happenings are uprooted and soon enough it isn't just the island that is isolated, but DiCaprio from the rest island's inhabitants. Who is to be trusted, what is true and is he being tricked? It is time for paranoia to set in.

How can you determine what is wrong when you can not trust anyone to be truthful, not even your partner. When you cannot ask: do you see what I see, when you can not trust the other. The only way for DiCaprio is to find evidence for his suspicions. But DiCaprio even starts to question his own senses. How that eventually works out would reveal the plot. Go and see the movie.

Admittedly, the movie's story is a bit too far fetched to be believable and might harbor some big plot holes on close scrutiny, but it is a good movie nevertheless. It is nice to see things come together as script, acting, directing and cinematography join hands to make this movie happen.
FilmQueenOct 30, 2015
Very good film! I absolutely did not see what was coming in the end.When the twist is revealed it all makes sense, the signs were there, yet the viewer's mind chooses to ignore it, just like the protagonist's mind, that's why it's a geniusVery good film! I absolutely did not see what was coming in the end.When the twist is revealed it all makes sense, the signs were there, yet the viewer's mind chooses to ignore it, just like the protagonist's mind, that's why it's a genius twist. Perfect ending!
The music is also great, it creates the tone for the movie.
Some people say that you should watch this movie more than once, I would disagree with that statement. If you pay attention, you'll remember all the details in the end and it will combine in your head. Watching it for a second time however, I didn't find it thrilling anymore, because I knew everything and it just wasn't interesting.
I note that I would not recommend this film to those with weak nerves. Some people I talked to told me they found it very violent, distressing and depressing. Well, it is set in a mental institute for the criminally insane...
Compi24Oct 7, 2015
Scorsese churns out a very uncharacteristic film with "Shutter Island," a fantastically designed and performed film that drips with dread and demonstrates supreme editing prowess.
MarickJul 5, 2015
One of the best performances, story and movie .
DANIELW45Jun 7, 2015
Scary and nail bitingly tense, shutter island provides the audience with all this. Leonardo de Caprio plays the US Marshall with past troubles and a shattered psyche perfectly. The perfect film for any horror and thriller fan.
solomsApr 17, 2015
this is one of the most stupid movies that I ever seen. It's my opinion, but the story behind that cliches are so poor. What can I say... Martin Scorsese... I can never like his movies.
SEROJMar 2, 2015
Literally, mind blowing masterpiece! Everybody who gave this movie a bad score, should watch it again, because i bet they didn't get it. Incredible story, superb acting and unpredictable ending leads me to the final 10/10 score!
jacobshoffDec 18, 2014
What a great and extraordinary and thrilling film from a director at the top of his game. I absolutely was on the edge of my seat with this movie. Captivating performance from Leonardo DiCaprio and also Ben Kingsley. I highly recommend thisWhat a great and extraordinary and thrilling film from a director at the top of his game. I absolutely was on the edge of my seat with this movie. Captivating performance from Leonardo DiCaprio and also Ben Kingsley. I highly recommend this movie. Watch it!!!! Expand
ShedeggDec 4, 2014
Shutter island is a Martin Scorsese film, so ambiguously it is enjoyable. This movie is filled with interesting plot twists and strong characters. It is clever, but can be confusing at times. The casting is good, it stars people such asShutter island is a Martin Scorsese film, so ambiguously it is enjoyable. This movie is filled with interesting plot twists and strong characters. It is clever, but can be confusing at times. The casting is good, it stars people such as Leonardo di caprio and Ben Kingsley. I would not recommend this for younger ages as it can be rude, with adult themes; also children might not understand it because as I said it can be confusing. Overall it is a good watch. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
The acting is brilliant and the mystery is brilliantly constructed and shrouded in a plot so full of secrecy and red herrings despite some scenes being choppily edited. Multiple viewings are required for this movie.
MaricaAug 27, 2014
"Which would be worse - to live as a monster? Or to die as a good man?" Teddy Daniels.

This is a nice movie.This is a one of the best films i ever seen.Great actors, and a mindfu*k story.
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
While Shutter Island may be one of Scorsese's weaker efforts, DiCaprio along with Ben Kingsley are able to generate two exciting performances in a moderately thrilling atmosphere.
TEMMay 21, 2014
A great film. DiCaprio/Scorsese deliver again. Suspenseful and never dull. The ending is powerful. The score is an all time favorite of mine. This movie was so great, I read the book and I don't like reading too much.
lasttimeisawMay 11, 2014
Scorsese and DiCaprio’s fourth collaboration, SHUTTER ISLAND is an on-the-edge-of-the-seat nail-biter, a period thriller situates at the titular island near Boston in 1954, a patient mysteriously disappears from the mental hospital on theScorsese and DiCaprio’s fourth collaboration, SHUTTER ISLAND is an on-the-edge-of-the-seat nail-biter, a period thriller situates at the titular island near Boston in 1954, a patient mysteriously disappears from the mental hospital on the island, draws the investigation of US marshal Teddy Daniels (DiCaprio) and his subordinate Chuck Aule (Ruffalo). But on the sly Teddy volunteers the task under a more personal motivation, he is after a pyromania who is responsible for the killing of his wife Dolores (Williams).

read rest of the review on my blog, google cinema omnivore.
cristyx66xMay 8, 2014
This movies is the best Mind Blowing ONE.Love the way of how Leonardo DiCaprio took his acting to another level.Just LOVE IT !!!.Also the rest of them played very well....also the places used for all scenes are SUPERB
B-RAXApr 27, 2014
Scorsese and DiCaprio were born to work together! Shutter Island is brutal and twisted, yet brilliant right down to the core. From the first shot of the film to the closing credits, error was nowhere to be found. The music encompased theScorsese and DiCaprio were born to work together! Shutter Island is brutal and twisted, yet brilliant right down to the core. From the first shot of the film to the closing credits, error was nowhere to be found. The music encompased the element of fear and excitement, perfectly. The beautiful yet gritty cinematography left you on the edge of your seat for the next shot. The script was one of the best I have ever seen on screen, leaving you repeating the dialogue in your head from the previous conversation. DiCaprio knocked it out of the park with one of his best acting performances, not to mention everyone else in this movie did really good. The story is unpredictable and once the Scorsese credits hit the sliver screen you will still be questioning what you just saw. In my opinion, its one of the best films ever made. A must see! Expand
Meth-dudeApr 10, 2014
Shutter island is definitely not one of the best Scorses's movies.There is an interesting story and good actors but the result is not as good as i wanted.The acting was excellent but sometimes we lose ourself in the story.Shutter island is aShutter island is definitely not one of the best Scorses's movies.There is an interesting story and good actors but the result is not as good as i wanted.The acting was excellent but sometimes we lose ourself in the story.Shutter island is a weird movie starring a good cast and good story but Scorsese
doesn't control the result.
hipposeatfreeMar 3, 2014
I Was skeptical going into it, but my skepticism soon fled me as I enjoyed every minute of this movie! It is a thriller for sure. The only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 from me is that I saw the twist coming. Terrific film. LeonardoI Was skeptical going into it, but my skepticism soon fled me as I enjoyed every minute of this movie! It is a thriller for sure. The only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 from me is that I saw the twist coming. Terrific film. Leonardo deserved an Oscar for this. Expand
FilmVirtueFeb 14, 2014
Scorsese creates a great mystery in cinema based on the novel that will not only keep you watching, but thinking as well. Thinking a lot. Enough that you must watch it until the end to understand it all.
sinadoomDec 24, 2013
A predictable but nevertheless well-directed delusional thriller. The suspense could've been better and sometimes it was difficult to follow what was real and what was fake; but I guess that's a good thing because it keeps you guessing. It'sA predictable but nevertheless well-directed delusional thriller. The suspense could've been better and sometimes it was difficult to follow what was real and what was fake; but I guess that's a good thing because it keeps you guessing. It's not particularly scary or insanely intense, but is good nevertheless. Expand
eagleeyevikingDec 22, 2013
S2G047Dec 8, 2013
What was all the fuss about? The story was perfectly understandable. And yes movie was really good, a very well crafted mystery. I hope they make more movies like this
joao1198pedroDec 2, 2013
for me this is the worst movie made by martin scorsese and possibly the unic not good movie made by him it was an terrible disapointment for me see this.
CaestusDec 1, 2013
Shutter Island is a captivating movie, with an great intensity and shocking final twist. The cast and the acting are also superior, first off all Leonardo DiCaprios performance.
BradySmithNov 15, 2013
An infuriating movie. One which uses expert direction to tell a story with no solid ground. It's weird and twisty and atmospheric but never in any way which is remotely good. It will keep you guessing, sure, but it pulls such a non-ending,An infuriating movie. One which uses expert direction to tell a story with no solid ground. It's weird and twisty and atmospheric but never in any way which is remotely good. It will keep you guessing, sure, but it pulls such a non-ending, such a copout that you could never really be sure to what exactly just happened. Other movies have pulled off the ambiguous ending without it becoming a copout, but this one doesn't know how. Inception did it. In fact it did it in a way which was significant and beautiful, but Shutter Island is just a loopy trip into insanity which goes nowhere truly scary but everywhere and anywhere disturbing just to put a bad taste in your mouth when it's over. Do yourself a favor and avoid this expensive piece of garbage. Expand
TokyochuchuOct 27, 2013
Shutter Island is a mysterious and atmospheric horror-flick with a fantastic central performance from Leonardo DeCaprio. The finale is as emotional as things come and is truly unforgettable. Excellent stuff from Scorsese.
MovieGuysSep 19, 2013
Shutter Island grows creepier and creepier as the movie progresses and by the end, when the entire movie's purpose is revealed, your left to wonder how all these events unfolded, and now you're just as dumbfounded and in denial as DiCaprio'sShutter Island grows creepier and creepier as the movie progresses and by the end, when the entire movie's purpose is revealed, your left to wonder how all these events unfolded, and now you're just as dumbfounded and in denial as DiCaprio's character is. Scorcese is just a pure genius of filmmaking. Expand