Sicko

7.6

1. RonG
    Jun 27, 2007
    When his fat a** has a heart attack will he run to the Mayo Clinic or Cuba? He'll go to the Mayo... just like all the millionaires around the world do. They don't use the "great' systems in their own country... they come here. Just like Sicko will.
  2. E.B.
    Jun 25, 2007
    Michael Moore's work is complete trash. I will not support someone who does not respect our country's president. God bless America!
  3. DaveL
    Jun 30, 2007
    I find it completely laughable that people find this movie "eye-opening" and that this is a message for the whole world. Give me a break. If you find this "eye-opening" then where the heck have you been for the past 10 years? Do you never read the news? Do you not read any books? I hate it when people count on Moore to "educate" them because they are too lazy to read and study a topic on I find it completely laughable that people find this movie "eye-opening" and that this is a message for the whole world. Give me a break. If you find this "eye-opening" then where the heck have you been for the past 10 years? Do you never read the news? Do you not read any books? I hate it when people count on Moore to "educate" them because they are too lazy to read and study a topic on their own. I am a Democrat and found this movie pretty boring and it wasn't eye-opening at all. I have always felt it important to study a subject from both sides and see what is happening. As for universal health care, I have two friends from Canada who love their country and always joke about how health care is so much better up there because it's "free." However, whenever they talk about it they usually say they would prefer to be seen in an American hospital any day over a Canadian hospital... People need to study topics like this on their own and not be swayed by movies such as this. I too feel that there is a huge problem with the health care system and something should be done. But this movie is not the best source for finding out about this mess. Expand
  4. DaveS.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Doesn't a documentary have to be honest to be taken seriously? Are we to believe that Cuba's health care system trumps America's? Even Fidel Castro sent to Spain for doctor's and equipment when he was ill. American president's don't have to bring in expertise from other countries when they are sick. The Canadian system works because those who need immediate Doesn't a documentary have to be honest to be taken seriously? Are we to believe that Cuba's health care system trumps America's? Even Fidel Castro sent to Spain for doctor's and equipment when he was ill. American president's don't have to bring in expertise from other countries when they are sick. The Canadian system works because those who need immediate and urgent care travel south and use the US safety net. Despite its weaknesses, the healthcare in America is second to none. I have been all over the world and spent months all over Europe and Asia and, trust me, you want to be ill in the US and nowhere else. Is the American system perfect? NO! "Democracy," it has been said, "is the worst form of government- except for all the others." American health care is the same. Those from other countries who purport to have a great system (Hello Canada) head to Mass General or the Mayo Clinic when the going gets tough. Watching Moore's movie, I was shaking my head. Given Myer's portly physique and obvious less than health conscious life-style, it will be interesting to see where Moore will seek his future care. One can't take this movie seriously unless he or she has some sort of bias against American healthcare to start. There is nothing in this movie but a bunch of one-off negatives strung together and interspersed with the one-off, off-shore staged positives for the purpose of painting a dishonest, unbalanced picture. I used to like Moore's films but that was before I knew he actually got the interview he claimed not to get in "Roger and Me." I have opened my eyes and, although I paid to see this film, I will not give Moore another dime until he makes an honest film. Documentaries should not be selective in order to make the director's point. Moore has gone way off base. Expand
  5. NE
    Jun 30, 2007
    I give it 2 points for the excellent photography in London and Paris, but this is otherwise an awful movie. Imagine if Bill O'Reilly had some sort of conversion and woke up as a leftie, and did the same arrogant-blowhard-pundit routine on his show - describing something he hates, then explaining how something else he hates is the cause of the 1st thing, and oversimplifying or I give it 2 points for the excellent photography in London and Paris, but this is otherwise an awful movie. Imagine if Bill O'Reilly had some sort of conversion and woke up as a leftie, and did the same arrogant-blowhard-pundit routine on his show - describing something he hates, then explaining how something else he hates is the cause of the 1st thing, and oversimplifying or distorting where necessary. If you were trying to parody a Moore film, you couldn't have done so any better than "Sicko", and after 6 years of George Bush I'm pretty sick of incoherent ranting. A quick summary of this movie is as follows: the American health care system is evil and does nothing right, the Canadian, British, French, and Cuban systems are good and do nothing wrong, and America is a horrible society by implication. Health politics, by their nature, are a VERY complex and subtle topic - the American system does some things well and other things poorly, and llots of people in France, Canada, and the UK are dissatisfied with their care - but Moore is about as subtle as a plane crash, and doesn't even discuss how these systems work or what the causes of any of their problems are. Which means, of course, that he offers nothing by way of solutions. Expand
  6. James
    Jul 14, 2007
    Complete Garbage as usual from the fat man. Wonder when he'll start worry about his own health care, that's the reall issue here, maybe he should do a sequel called Fatso.
  7. HumbertoF.
    Jul 25, 2007
    "We cannot for a second abandon propaganda" wrote Fidel Castro in a letter to a revolutionary colleague in 1954.
  8. AnthonyD.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Talk about blithering anti-american propoganda. Interesting that with Cuba's superior health care, Castro has brought in French physicians for his own care.
  9. PeterZ.
    Sep 7, 2007
    The path to reason in this film is cluttered with too many half-truths so as to be reliable to researchers. In my opinion, half-truths are worse than lies as they befuddle the intellect of the average man. I have worked with doctors from Canada who state that MM is very wrong.
  10. mikeg
    Nov 5, 2007
    What is he trying to prove? why do Canadians come to America for healthcare? Because it's the BEST in the world.Socialized medicine is for third world countries. We need better options, remove employers from healthcare and make it like car insurance. If the government runs healthcare everyone loses. look at the dmv, medicare, disability, walter-reed govt. hospital, etc..
  11. Bill
    Jun 28, 2007
    ... and blind allegiance to a cruel, duplicitous and abusive agitprop filmmaker is even funnier (sadder?) than blind patriotism. After all, stickin' it to the man has GOT to be justified, right? Well, no. The problem with Moore's latest exercise in this tired genre is that it's, well, wrong on essentially everything. I will, however, give him three stars for at least ... and blind allegiance to a cruel, duplicitous and abusive agitprop filmmaker is even funnier (sadder?) than blind patriotism. After all, stickin' it to the man has GOT to be justified, right? Well, no. The problem with Moore's latest exercise in this tired genre is that it's, well, wrong on essentially everything. I will, however, give him three stars for at least raising the topic on film. David Denby's New Yorker review is spot on and rehashes what any intelligent viewer noted by the time of "Bowling For Columbine" if not right off the bat in "Roger & Me"... that Moore is not only transparently manipulative but fundamentally misanthropic. Ever notice how routinely he uses and discards the weakest people whom he dragoons into his films? As for international realities... take it from someone who has actually lived them in two of the countries Moore profiles. What a surprise that British doctors make a comfortable six-figure salary. Does it occur to anyone that this is because the state must compete with the parallel private British mdical system for talent? As an NHS customer in the early '90s I can tell you that I would have been on the first plane from London to New York had I gotten seriosuly ill. Fortunately the private sector forced the gov't to reform the NHS because it was so incredibly bad. Today it has improved dramatically to mediocre. And as for Canada (where I currently live) it might be more enlightening to consult nationwide statistics on ER waiting times (closer to 5-12 hours) than to cherry pick a London, Ontario ER and find that no one has been there for longer than 45 mins. Any guesses on how many ERs Moore had to film before finding that outlier? And what a stunning revelation to find that certain American HMOs and managed care organizations abuse(d) customers? Be glad you're American so that you have a choice to switch to another provider (like a PPO, for example... you get what you pay for.) Guess what happens in workers' paradises like Canada and Cuba when you get abused? You have no alternative. At best, you wait. And sometimes get crippled (like my friend with a separated shoulder who waited six months to see an orthpedist for proper treatment.) Sometimes you die. If you must, see "Sicko" (as I did) on You Tube; spare yourself the commute to and from the cinema and the crime of funding the national embarrassment that is Michael Moore. A better use of your three hours, however, is to actually learn something about American health care and how to reform it by reading Canadian doctor (and New York resident) Brian Gratzer's "The Cure," recently published in hardback. People around the world these days say that Americans are on average naive, gullible dupes. I disagree strongly based on extensive experience; however, the continuing domestic popularity of Michael Moore makes me wonder... Expand
  12. VicP
    Jun 28, 2007
    more left wing garbage from this fraud! i can't stand the sight of this man, he makes me want to puke. he's anti-corporate approach is stupid. wealth creates wealth. and Mr. Heston has a right to bear arms, it's in the constitution. Mr. Moore, can you please stop making films that denounce people's rights. if this asshole ever got into office, I'd find the nearest bridge.
  13. EricD.
    Aug 12, 2007
    i watched this movie and thought it was goofy. Michael Moore only cares about bad things that make the American society look bad. He talks about how so many people have been wronged but never looks at any good things. My grandfather has had 4 heart attacks in the past ten years and hes still alive thanks to today's setup but Moore would never publish that. Another thing is if Cuba is i watched this movie and thought it was goofy. Michael Moore only cares about bad things that make the American society look bad. He talks about how so many people have been wronged but never looks at any good things. My grandfather has had 4 heart attacks in the past ten years and hes still alive thanks to today's setup but Moore would never publish that. Another thing is if Cuba is so great why dosen't Michael Moore live there Expand
  14. LouisC.
    Sep 15, 2007
    Michael Moore is a demagogue. In that grand tradition, the best lie is that lie that convinces the best. Somehow I doubt that he'll flee to that great bastion of healthcare, Cuba, for his inevitable triple-bypass.
  15. JoshE.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Michael Moron, is a liar and a terrorist, High in cholestorol-Low in truth.
  16. MikeS.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This is the last time I pay to see a Michael Moore movie. I thought I might learn something; America just isn't that bad. With Moore, nothing is good enough. Not only is the glass half empty, it's the wrong color glass, the wrong size glass... don't waste your money or time.

1. Moore's most assured, least antagonistic and potentially most important film.
    The silliness of Moore's oeuvre is so self-evident that being able to spot it is not liberal or conservative, either; it's a basic intelligence test, like the ability to match square peg with square hole. His documentaries are political slapstick that could have been made by a third Farrelly brother or a fourth Stooge.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    This is a movie, not a position paper, and Moore aims to entertain as he informs.